Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

Vodos posted:

Something's wrong with my guy's junk!

At least he isn't the last patrician of a super rich family.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

radlum posted:

I can create a lot of titles (duchies and kingdoms) as the Byzantines; should I create them or just leave them there? Who should I give those titles?

Yes, create them, but don't hold more than 2 duchies for yourself or you'll piss off your vassals (because you're holding too much power). Instead, I will create the title and then give it to an existing count within that title's de jure lands (example: if you create the Duchy of Samos, give it to the Count of Smyrna).

Bishop Rodan
Dec 5, 2011

See you in the funny papers, liebchen!

CK2 has fallen to the homosexual agenda! :freep:

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

Bishop Rodan posted:

CK2 has fallen to the homosexual agenda! :freep:

Did they ever get rid of that event that was in game at launch where you could beat the homosexuality out of your children?

I'd love to see some weird homophobic Paradox Forums reaction to removing it/instituting same-sex tumbling.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.

Riso posted:

I don't know what you have, that sounds positively Italian.

It really does. Those drat Italian Waldensians are a rowdy lot.

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

radlum posted:

I can create a lot of titles (duchies and kingdoms) as the Byzantines; should I create them or just leave them there? Who should I give those titles?

In addition to what Drone said, I wouldn't create vassal kingdoms, if I were you. I normally don't mind having vassal kings as an empire, when I formed Britannia as the Irish I held on to the Irish Kingdom and gave Scotland, England, and Wales to family members, but with the Byzantines specifically, you have a special mechanic where you can revoke duchies at will without gaining tyranny (the dude you revoked it from will hate you, of course, but your other vassals won't care). So I like to have nothing but duke-level vassals so I can just revoke their title and give it to someone else if they start getting uppity.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Vodos posted:

Psh, nonsense. Behead your wife, it's the only reasonable solution.

Bishop Rodan
Dec 5, 2011

See you in the funny papers, liebchen!

Drone posted:

Did they ever get rid of that event that was in game at launch where you could beat the homosexuality out of your children?

I'd love to see some weird homophobic Paradox Forums reaction to removing it/instituting same-sex tumbling.

Don't know about that, but they did leave some hilarious oversights!

Thrasophius
Oct 27, 2013

Knuc U Kinte posted:

So they didn't fix the trade post AI bug and the unreformable Slavic faith? Those were pretty major in my mind.

Don't forget it's a beta patch not a full release one so some things may still not be working as intended and just need ironing out.

Vodos posted:

Use it while you can and go for the Empressive achievement.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

I noticed that within my realm women can gain holdings, and vassals can appoint them to their councils but I can't do either and I'm the drat king.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Dick Trauma posted:

I noticed that within my realm women can gain holdings, and vassals can appoint them to their councils but I can't do either and I'm the drat king.

Women can inherit holdings, they just can't be given them, except in certain circumstances, like Pagans can give women temples.

The wife and mother of a ruler are eligible to be spymaster, and women who spawn from the Joan of Arc event can be marshals. Are either of those the case with the women who are in your vassals' councils?

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

Modding question: Is there any way to add a new barony title to the game, with a predefined location, without modifying the base landed_titles.txt file? It feels like such a minor addition, and I'd hate to ruin compatibility with any other mod that modifies the map.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!

DStecks posted:

Modding question: Is there any way to add a new barony title to the game, with a predefined location, without modifying the base landed_titles.txt file? It feels like such a minor addition, and I'd hate to ruin compatibility with any other mod that modifies the map.

No, landed_titles.txt is the only way to control this.

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

DrSunshine posted:

Darn. Then I guess I'll just have to change the way I implement the feature I'm planning.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

Drone posted:

I hope they do - I get it's realistic for the era, but it hits a little too close to home for my comfort.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Robindaybird posted:

I hope they do - I get it's realistic for the era, but it hits a little too close to home for my comfort.

I think the problem with that event was more that beating the gay out of your kid works, and turns them straight.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

I'm gaining the upper hand on those fractious Italian bastards. With my chancellor I managed to fix relations with the worst of them, the head of one of those merchant republics I set up and my chaplain got him to convert back to Catholicism. I learned to use my Spymaster to get faction leaders to give up their causes.

Culture change looks like it happens very slowly so I expect there will be more rebellions, but as long as my vassals aren't all trying to kill me or each other local levies can take care of them.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

DStecks posted:

DrSunshine posted:

This, but also: most (all?) provinces in the game have the full six barony titles defined for them already, even if they don't use them. The number that actually show up in the game is controlled by the max_holdings line in the relevant province history file. You'd still be breaking compatibility with mods that changed those files, of course.

In the beta, you could actually change a province's max_holdings value by editing it in the savegame- I don't know if that still works, but the value's still there. Theoretically, if it can be manipulated in the savegame, you might be able to get Gars to add a script command that changes the number of holdings on the fly. :catstare:

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!
Hmm. I wonder what would happen if you modded it to have more than the maximum of six baronies? It would probably crash, wouldn't it? It'd be nice to have an option like that, so you could have a province with seven, or even twelve, and just sort of scroll down to see the others.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

Bishop Rodan posted:

Don't know about that, but they did leave some hilarious oversights!

OBAMA :bahgawd:

Farecoal
Oct 15, 2011

There he go
Question: I'm trying to modify my dynasty's coat of arms, but in order to do that I apparently have to be the "top liege" of the dynasty. I assumed this meant the current head of the dynasty (the king of Aquitaine/Aragon, I'm playing as the king of Brittany), so I saved, resigned, loaded my save and switched to him. Still says I can't modify it, for the same reason. I tried playing as the King of Jerusalem (also my dynasty), but got the same thing. What gives?

Cantorsdust
Aug 10, 2008

Infinitely many points, but zero length.

DStecks posted:

This is exactly the reason why I suggested in the main Paradox thread that they implement something like Bethesda's .esp files, which just are a list of differences from the master rather than the complete file. You need something that can say "add this barony title" without overwriting everything else. This would either require a modmanager program that can make edits to the text files right before the game loads them, or a new way managing game data.

Thrasophius
Oct 27, 2013

OK so how does de jure drift work? I have both turkestan and Khiva. With Khiva being my primary title why is it de jure drifting into turkestan?

Beet
Aug 24, 2003

DrSunshine posted:

Hmm. I wonder what would happen if you modded it to have more than the maximum of six baronies? It would probably crash, wouldn't it? It'd be nice to have an option like that, so you could have a province with seven, or even twelve, and just sort of scroll down to see the others.

I'm pretty sure the max is hardcoded at 7 holdings per province, since in the province history files, any county with less than 7 holdings has a maximum holding value designated while provinces like Venezia and Rome do not have that string.

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx
Just look at the interface. There's simply not enough spots to display them.

Allyn
Sep 4, 2007

I love Charlie from Busted!

Farecoal posted:

Question: I'm trying to modify my dynasty's coat of arms, but in order to do that I apparently have to be the "top liege" of the dynasty. I assumed this meant the current head of the dynasty (the king of Aquitaine/Aragon, I'm playing as the king of Brittany), so I saved, resigned, loaded my save and switched to him. Still says I can't modify it, for the same reason. I tried playing as the King of Jerusalem (also my dynasty), but got the same thing. What gives?

I think you have to have every member of your dynasty within your realm too, although that may just be renaming the dynasty.

Thrasophius
Oct 27, 2013

Allyn posted:

I think you have to have every member of your dynasty within your realm too, although that may just be renaming the dynasty.

You indeed need to have all of your dynasty under your realm to edit the dynasty in any way.

Farecoal
Oct 15, 2011

There he go

Thrasophius posted:

You indeed need to have all of your dynasty under your realm to edit the dynasty in any way.

Damnit. Our coat of arms is so ugly, is there another way to modify it?

Thrasophius
Oct 27, 2013

Farecoal posted:

Damnit. Our coat of arms is so ugly, is there another way to modify it?

Short of killing everyone from your dynasty not in your realm I don't know, sorry mate.

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

Autonomous Monster posted:

This, but also: most (all?) provinces in the game have the full six barony titles defined for them already, even if they don't use them. The number that actually show up in the game is controlled by the max_holdings line in the relevant province history file. You'd still be breaking compatibility with mods that changed those files, of course.

Well actually, it appears that most (if not all) counties have 8 barony titles allocated to them; 1 capital, 6 max extra holdings, and an extra. My assumption was that some were designated for particular holding types, but that doesn't appear to be the case.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Thrasophius posted:

OK so how does de jure drift work? I have both turkestan and Khiva. With Khiva being my primary title why is it de jure drifting into turkestan?

Is it still drifting into Turkestan though? It may say "22 years until duchy X becomes part of Turkestan", but this doesn't have to be true. If a title no longer drifts the accumulated years reduce by 2 each year. Compare the de jure map mode on 12/31 and 01/01.

Kainser
Apr 27, 2010

O'er the sea from the north
there sails a ship
With the people of Hel
at the helm stands Loki
After the wolf
do wild men follow

marktheando posted:

I think the problem with that event was more that beating the gay out of your kid works, and turns them straight.

Homosexuality in the game is more about self identification. Your 50 year old king can randomly realize that he's homosexual at a tournament as well. Kids who 'have their homosexuality beaten out of them' are presumably still gay, just repressing it.

I mean, I guess Paradox could have that event add a 'secret_gay' character flag or whatever and have events that can fire later on based on that but I think it works out well enough.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Kainser posted:

Homosexuality in the game is more about self identification. Your 50 year old king can randomly realize that he's homosexual at a tournament as well. Kids who 'have their homosexuality beaten out of them' are presumably still gay, just repressing it.

I mean, I guess Paradox could have that event add a 'secret_gay' character flag or whatever and have events that can fire later on based on that but I think it works out well enough.

Secret traits sounds like a good idea. Not just for sexuality, you could have secret heretics, secret demon child, all kinds of stuff.

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

Kainser posted:

Well, i guess they could have a system with "actual traits" versus your public face for every traits in game but it would be quite complex to implement. You could be publicly known for being a brave, pious man with many children and a loving wife while actually being a coward cynic homosexual who pays tons of blackmail money so noone known your wife is having sex with all the guards in the castle and that you regularly stole the church money. But it's a game about medieval kings, not elected politicians.

Toplowtech fucked around with this message at 21:20 on Apr 5, 2014

EasternBronze
Jul 19, 2011

I registered for the Selective Service! I'm also racist as fuck!
:downsbravo:
Don't forget to ignore me!
The game has always been kind of schizophrenic regarding whether your traits are actual approximations for your personality or if they're just a summary of your reputation with others. Sometimes you only have certain choices open or denied to you because of certain traits, other times your traits change depending upon your public actions.

Kainser
Apr 27, 2010

O'er the sea from the north
there sails a ship
With the people of Hel
at the helm stands Loki
After the wolf
do wild men follow

Toplowtech posted:

Well, i guess they could have a system with "actual traits" versus your public face for every traits in game but it would be quite complex to implement. You could be publicly known for being a brave, pious man with many children and a loving wife while actually being a coward cynic homosexual who pays tons of blackmail money so noone known your wife is having sex with all the guards in the castle and that you regularly stole the church money. But it's a game about medieval kings, not elected politicians.

That would if nothing else be a really rad feature for Crusader Kings 3.

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

Kainser posted:

That would if nothing else be a really rad feature for Crusader Kings 3.
Well, if you can take all the morally good decisions and become an unpopular loner hated by everyone and the really villainous and/or amoral characters can become quite popular and loved by the people, it would be fantastic.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Pakled posted:

Women can inherit holdings, they just can't be given them, except in certain circumstances, like Pagans can give women temples.

This is pretty useful to keep your court down so you get fresh new courtiers / normal fertility, btw; every temple goes straight to an older woman in all my pagan games.

Inside Outside
Jul 31, 2005

Kainser posted:

I don't know if this is from the most recent patch or what, but I got an event that reinforced this idea just now. My chancellor accused me of being a homosexual, which I could either deny or admit to, with admitting it gaining me the Homosexual trait. Throughout the rest of my reign I would randomly get events where people would gossip about my sexuality and I could either attempt to dissuade them or just let it go.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013
I just got the Khan of Khans message. I'm Alba (Irish culture), the Seljuks/Persians are going to be minor speed bumps for the Hordes, so I will have to take them on. Last time I had Cataphracts which did well, I'm not so sure about Gallowglass.

So what's a strategy to prep for the war and fight them?

• Locked thread