Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

Metal Loaf posted:

That kind of style was all over Marvel in the late 1990s but I'm not sure how to describe it;

It looks like a tabloid cover.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Mister Kingdom posted:

I don't think Jubilee was ever a bad-rear end. In the GenX run, she got about a half-dozen makeovers by different artists. She looks about ten years old here.

As for the tits, have there been many comic women with "normal" busts?

Jenny Sparks. Until Hitch started drawing her anyways.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Silhouette posted:

It looks like a tabloid cover.

THAT'S IT!

itskage
Aug 26, 2003

Those eyes...

:shepface:

edit: Phone posting an image is hard.

itskage fucked around with this message at 05:40 on Apr 4, 2014

Rick Grimes
Oct 12, 2005

We Are The Walking Dead
Put this in the main chat thread, but it may go better here.

I didn't think this warranted it's own thread. But, I know how much BSS loves Rob Liefeld.

I went to see the new Captain America movie last night, and on the way out, spotted this mini poster he apparently did for Noah. Here it is in all it's glory.

Bloody Holly
May 29, 2007

the George Washington of breadfucking

This is actually amazing. I like how Noah looks nothing like the movie version the poster is for.
Actually the longer I look at it the better it gets.
Wolves are little grey tigers right?
Polar bears are just angry white gorillas right?
What is the snake hanging from?
Why is the ostrich so disgusted?
great art As many questions as it answers.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG
Also where are Noah's pouches and why isn't he grinding his 5000 teeth. What has happened to Mr Liefeld and what the gently caress were the producers thinking to use him for a poster for that particular movie?

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
The best known part of the Noah story involving animals is that they were brought on board in pairs, so naturally Liefeld drew them solo.

Chinaman7000
Nov 28, 2003

Also Noah's about to command those animals to RIP OUT YOUR BLOOD

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

My favorite is the Ostrich. It looks like a sock puppet made of flesh.

Bloody Holly
May 29, 2007

the George Washington of breadfucking

Rotten Red Rod posted:

thank GOD E.T. made it on the boat.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Rotten Red Rod posted:

That's one shifty-looking ostrich.

Hulk Smash!
Jul 14, 2004

That giraffe's all "That's right, Noah is an old Asian dude. What are you gonna do about it?"

Content:

Daredevil v1 371

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Why does Matt look so girly in the left panel?

SMP
May 5, 2009

I'm relatively new to comics so I gotta ask: what's up with every comic from like 4+ years ago (and DC comics today) coloring all their stuff using gradients? It looks awful and everything is so drat shiny. Everything looks pillow shaded.

Next-Jin Engine
Dec 7, 2013

SMP posted:

I'm relatively new to comics so I gotta ask: what's up with every comic from like 4+ years ago (and DC comics today) coloring all their stuff using gradients? It looks awful and everything is so drat shiny. Everything looks pillow shaded.

From a colorist's perspective, it's a really easy way to give objects volume, but without good direction it craps up the composition of the whole page, likely because they focus on individual people and not their positions in relation to each other. DC constantly fucks up their stories with unnecessary gradients; the closest series that's saved from gradients is Batman, since it practically reads on the tin that modern Gotham is a monotone kind of place. Marvel learned smartly about this sometime around when the Marvel movies made their initiative toward comics, and some of their more memorable serieses in recent history (Hawkeye, Superior Foes of Spider-man) don't use gradients at all, but go instead for block shading which preserves the original art much more.

Or Thor: God of Thunder, which breaks some dark shades up with lighter shades, all at different thicknesses.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

SMP posted:

It's very easy to impress an employer with little artistic knowledge by creating realistic looking depth with gradient mapping, while actually good colorists make much simpler images and are assumed to be lazy and unskilled and aren't hired. Adobe products have made both techniques very easy to do, but only one is impressive to a moron.

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,
you shouldn't have signed it.

SMP posted:

It's a combination of DC having a terrible house style which they try to keep books in line with and DC not caring about colorists. Yanick Paquette recently called DC out on it on a creator feedback survey they sent out.

quote:

My final statement for the DC Survey. Copy/Pasted here:
For me, above anything else, the quality of my work is imperative. The level of sacrifice required to do this job can only be justified by being proud of its final result. Yet, all my effort as the artist would be insignificant without the care and talent of my most pivotal collaborator; The colorist.

By resisting to align its royalties and recognition policy on Marvel, It has become excessively difficult to secure the best Colorists for DC projects. In this digital day and age, where often the entire comic visual is a two person operation, it seem aberrant that one of the two won't receive the Royalties or exposure respect they fully deserve.

It's about time we revisit that royalty pie split. And if we find the courage to slaps some annoying last minute advertisement banner on the cover, certainly adding the colorist name there should'nt be that challenging.

SMP
May 5, 2009

Next-Jin Engine posted:

From a colorist's perspective, it's a really easy way to give objects volume, but without good direction it craps up the composition of the whole page, likely because they focus on individual people and not their positions in relation to each other. DC constantly fucks up their stories with unnecessary gradients; the closest series that's saved from gradients is Batman, since it practically reads on the tin that modern Gotham is a monotone kind of place. Marvel learned smartly about this sometime around when the Marvel movies made their initiative toward comics, and some of their more memorable serieses in recent history (Hawkeye, Superior Foes of Spider-man) don't use gradients at all, but go instead for block shading which preserves the original art much more.

Or Thor: God of Thunder, which breaks some dark shades up with lighter shades, all at different thicknesses.

Marvel really is doing an amazing job. Thor: GOT is gorgeous, as is every other Marvel book I'm reading (Black Widow, Ms. Marvel, All-New Ghost Rider, Moon Knight, the list goes on.)

For content: here's a preview of the upcoming Elektra book.

Look at those loving colors.

scary ghost dog posted:

It's very easy to impress an employer with little artistic knowledge by creating realistic looking depth with gradient mapping, while actually good colorists make much simpler images and are assumed to be lazy and unskilled and aren't hired. Adobe products have made both techniques very easy to do, but only one is impressive to a moron.

Waterhaul posted:

It's a combination of DC having a terrible house style which they try to keep books in line with and DC not caring about colorists. Yanick Paquette recently called DC out on it on a creator feedback survey they sent out.

This is incredibly disappointing to hear. I'd thought an industry based on it's artwork would have higher standards than that. Is there any reason why DC is like this besides general incompetence? I don't really know much about them besides the general receptions they've gotten around here.

Superstring
Jul 22, 2007

I thought I was going insane for a second.

Jesus that is some good looking art.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

It's definitely not all great, especially in the middling books* - Swamp Thing looks depressingly bland for it's quality right now - but there is definitely good color work going on.

Batman during Zero Year is ridiculously vibrant

When Jae Lee is on Batman/Superman it pops

Action Comics right now is really bright and fun

Love this from the last Wonder Woman.

Animal Man with Rafael Albuquerque got good stuff

Justice League 3000's really fits that odd, creepy linework

Detective this week was a knockout (though I think the artists do their own colors on that one.)

e: and have a dream sequence page from Batwoman they guested on :)

*aaaaand their highest profile event title :shrug:

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 15:35 on Apr 5, 2014

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Manapul is a rarity in the DC line and I hope he never changes. Dude's loving awesome and I kept up with Flash entirely because of the art.

From #2

And #4

Happy Noodle Boy fucked around with this message at 15:35 on Apr 5, 2014

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

Rick Grimes posted:

Put this in the main chat thread, but it may go better here.

I didn't think this warranted it's own thread. But, I know how much BSS loves Rob Liefeld.

I went to see the new Captain America movie last night, and on the way out, spotted this mini poster he apparently did for Noah. Here it is in all it's glory.

The ostrich is a frog on a neck.

The ostrich has no beak.

The ostrich.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

The best part of that Noah poster is how for some reason all the animals are ready to tear the viewer's guts apart.

Except for the walrus, who is perfectly dopey trying to squeeze into the picture.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

SMP posted:

Marvel really is doing an amazing job. Thor: GOT is gorgeous, as is every other Marvel book I'm reading (Black Widow, Ms. Marvel, All-New Ghost Rider, Moon Knight, the list goes on.)

Man that is an awesome example of why comics can do things with storytelling that movies or really any other media never can.

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

Lobok posted:

The best part of that Noah poster is how for some reason all the animals are ready to tear the viewer's guts apart.

Except for the walrus, who is perfectly dopey trying to squeeze into the picture.

Why would a walrus need to go on the ark.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Walruses spend a lot of their time out of the water. They're not actually very good divers.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

SMP posted:

Short answer: Photoshop.

SMP posted:

Holy poo poo, that's really good.

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

Ed Piskor of Hip-hop Family Tree fame did a cover for Tom Scioli's GI Joe/Transformers crossover portraying a bboy battle between franchises

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Bloody Holly posted:

Wolves are little grey tigers right?

That's a wolf? I thought it was an extremely angry raccoon.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

SMP posted:

That's awesome.

I'll take "Terrible Things I Bought in the 90's" for 500, Alex.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!
The 90s: The Decade of Teeth.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

a kitten posted:

I liked Dale Keown's art on Hulk, but I honestly hadn't a clue he'd done one of the really early Image books. Learn something new every day.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Metal Loaf posted:

I liked Dale Keown's art on Hulk, but I honestly hadn't a clue he'd done one of the really early Image books. Learn something new every day.

I kind of like his take on the Hulk; he does huge and pissed off pretty well. Pitt is just so...spikey and chainy and toothy.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

a kitten posted:

I have a superhero who has no nose.
How does he smell?
Terrible!

I have all those Pitt comics, too. They're going on ebay soon.

What's everybody's opinion on Sam Kieth? I really enjoy his work, but I'm weird that way.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Mister Kingdom posted:

What's everybody's opinion on Sam Kieth? I really enjoy his work, but I'm weird that way.

I don't think anyone can rightfully talk poo poo about The Maxx, but some of his other work is kind of shaky.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Mister Kingdom posted:

Love the guy, even though there is a LOT of his stuff I haven't read and have no real intention to. The Maxx is brilliant, I have a soft spot for his MCP Wolverine/Venom stuff, and he got Sandman started off on absolutely the right foot.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 8 hours!
Fallen Rib

Mister Kingdom posted:

I love Kieth. His style can get weird and some of his more recent stuff is very shakey but I love his cartoony dark stuff. I always picture his stuff as an Avery cartoon pulled through someone's nightmares.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

It's probably time to rethink your character when his arms and his chest have to pass through each other to exist in the same space.

Doctor_Fruitbat fucked around with this message at 10:11 on Apr 7, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kull the Conqueror
Apr 8, 2006

Take me to the green valley,
lay the sod o'er me,
I'm a young cowboy,
I know I've done wrong
Emma Rios/Jordie Bellaire from Pretty Deadly #5