Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Monkey Knife Fight
Sep 1, 2008

Future #1 Forums Superstar

Dotcom Jillionaire posted:

I was listening to vanilla slimfast's Beta set yesterday and it inspired me to find out ways I can live stream my practice sessions/performances. I thought this would be a lot more well documented online, but I can't seem to find too much in the way of broadcasting with Serato on a Mac.

I know there's that site Mixify which is a nice all-in-one package (though for most features you need to pay) but I'm wondering what possibilities are out there for relaying a stream to a server and having people tune in from there. I could use something like Icecast but I'd prefer if listeners connected to someplace rather than my home network. Doing it over Twitch would be ideal. Most of Twitch's tutorials take you through setting up live streaming of games though.

It depends, if you want to live stream video through a Mac for free it involves some work. You have to download camtwist and a free adobe program. Just google "twitch stream Mac free" and check out the tutorials. There's a bit of work involved.

If you want to stream audio only there are a ton of options. My personal favorite is Mixlr. You download an app, turn it on, set your input, and it live streams. I like it because it is integrated into Facebook and Twitter so it will broadcast to social media when you are playing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dotcom Jillionaire
Jul 19, 2006

Social distortion
Ahh yeah I remember Mixlr. For some reason I was searching "Mixly" but they don't exist.

Trip report for Mixify: I'm trying to set up a live stream via their website. The creation process is just hanging ("saving your live stream" bar is just on an endless loop). I'll get Mixlr working in the time being.

I'll check out the Twitch tutorial later. I don't have a webcam or anything but having everything accessible on Twitch would be the best situation for me.

EDIT: Hmm, live here: http://mixlr.com/portervance/ done broadcasting but you can check out the show reel!

Dotcom Jillionaire fucked around with this message at 19:12 on Mar 28, 2014

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
Yeah, another recommendation for MixLR. It also saves your broadcasts to your 'showreel' in a format that sounds better than Mixcloud (to me), and I've recorded almost 15 hours of mixes and haven't hit any kind of upload ceiling, so that's curious...

I'm digging your set, Dotcom Jillionaire.

Dotcom Jillionaire
Jul 19, 2006

Social distortion

Mister Speaker posted:

Yeah, another recommendation for MixLR. It also saves your broadcasts to your 'showreel' in a format that sounds better than Mixcloud (to me), and I've recorded almost 15 hours of mixes and haven't hit any kind of upload ceiling, so that's curious...

I'm digging your set, Dotcom Jillionaire.

Cool thanks man :).

I was freeballing it, just going through my library and keeping the mix going. Interested to see how the show reel feature works. I like Mixcloud's interface but it would be much easier and put a little more pressure on me to live broadcast and the just publish there. Thanks for tuning in :).

vanilla slimfast
Dec 6, 2006

If anyone needs me, I'll be in the Angry Dome

You can set up video broadcasts through ustream, I've done it before on my own (outside of Beta/Beatport). They stick ads in the middle of it for a free account, however

You'd probably want a separate computer to manage communicating with the streaming server from the one you are DJing from.

vanilla slimfast fucked around with this message at 20:14 on Mar 28, 2014

19 o'clock
Sep 9, 2004

Excelsior!!!
Had another great night playing tonight. I like playing a town over because I can't get drunk so I get to play taxi to other drunk people who are stranded here in the winter time.

So my big breakthroughs are happening now. I'm comfortable warping tracks on-the-fly in Ableton so that I don't have to try and clumsily beatmatch raw audio files. There is no sort of jogwheel action on the APC40 and now I've rendered it unnecessary. I remember that warping tracks was impossible to learn at the start but now I can warp a track in about twelve seconds while my set is playing. It's glorious!

I've also programmed my own custom template that continues to evolve as I play out more and more to decide exactly how I want things to work. I've created stacking momentary logic for my beat repeat grid, some track focus features, disabled some garbage buttons on the APC40 (SERIOUSLY! Why the hell would they place the "stop all clips" button so close to everything else everyone uses?). I have an advanced loop feature that quantizes for ease-of-use live, too, which is well beyond what Ableton offers stock in my opinion.

Oh! and I use the Eight Knobs rack which has, quite possibly, the best demo video ever: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HrnfaWnEV4A

People are complimenting which is nice, people give interested looks at the box of lights I use, and I've learned that girls like DJ's. As a guitarist I don't get nearly the love that I do as a DJ. What the gently caress?

I'm gonna have to record a video of how I run my setup. I feel like there are lots of people interested in using Ableton and I'm happy to feel like I've gotten somewhere meaningful with it. Especially now that the APC40 MK2 is about out...

Crime on a Dime
Nov 28, 2006
This weekend is going to rock!!!

Dessert Rose
May 17, 2004

awoken in control of a lucid deep dream...

19 o'clock posted:

I'm gonna have to record a video of how I run my setup. I feel like there are lots of people interested in using Ableton and I'm happy to feel like I've gotten somewhere meaningful with it. Especially now that the APC40 MK2 is about out...

Yes, please do. I'm seriously considering just heading over to Ableton.

Champ Baldoon
Nov 22, 2012

dont let me get in my zone
So I'm in shop for a decent needle that has good bass response, can scratch, and won't wear my records to bad. Any vinyl DJs wanna send their regards?

keevo
Jun 16, 2011

:burger:WAKE UP:burger:
Needles are going to wear your records regardless. The M447s are the most popular for scratching. These Ortofons are supposed to be pretty good for scratching. I personally use the M44Gs but they're a little quiet.

19 o'clock
Sep 9, 2004

Excelsior!!!

Dessert Rose posted:

Yes, please do. I'm seriously considering just heading over to Ableton.

My season is winding down gig-wise. Two of my residencies just finished up this week and I have time to do fun music stuff in the evenings now (well, fun as in "not gigging"). I'll see if I can't show how I do things on the fly (warping, mixing, cueing, etc.). Stay tuned!

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

an skeleton posted:

What are some good in ears?

Personally I use Vsonic VSD1S in ears mainly because the clarity from them is pretty drat good and they're at a price ($50) where you won't cry too much if you lose them. I notice Pioneer have just released a couple of sets but the cheap set is still $160.

For the record I've used The DJ's favourite TMA-01s, HD-25s, HDJ 500, 1000, 1500 and didn't like the sound of any of them but I'm quite picky.

If you know someone with a set of anything in ear, even loving Sennheiser CX300s borrow them and see how you go. Some people hate them and others just don't think they look like a DJ without a massive set of headphones... :v:

cname
Jan 24, 2013

by Lowtax

I gotta come back to this post just so I can give praise to the Holla Back Girl remix, he uploaded. I dunno who Ian Munro is, but that song got everyone going wild.

https://soundcloud.com/ianmunro/gwen-stefani-hollaback-girl

fat gay nonce
May 13, 2003
actual penis length: |-----------|

Winner, PWM POTM January

keevo posted:

Needles are going to wear your records regardless. The M447s are the most popular for scratching. These Ortofons are supposed to be pretty good for scratching. I personally use the M44Gs but they're a little quiet.

Echoing the Ortofon scratch, they are great.

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
M447 is great and never skips, but I've been using Whitelabels for years and love them. Silky smooth bass when spinning vinyl and the skip resistance is more than enough for the scratching I do. As a plus, if you have some of the lower-end Shure carts kicking around you can install the Whitelabel stylii into their housings. I'm not totally sure what the effects of doing so are, but I can't tell the difference between a hacked Whitelabel and a real one.

P0PCULTUREREFERENCE
Apr 10, 2009

Your weapons are useless against me!
Fun Shoe
M447 really can't be beat. I'm using Ortofon scratchs right now, and they are nice - but I'm mostly keeping them on because I would feel silly having paid for them if I didn't use them. The M447's are bulletproof and have a great bandwidth.

Champ Baldoon
Nov 22, 2012

Thanks for all the reccommendations. For the price/performance it seems the M447's can't be beat.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
Yay, I finally got my S4 back in working order. Even the roadcase has been fixed! Definitely a good feeling. I'm going to hook up the TR8 to it later to see how well they play together (very well, I'm told), hopefully I'll be rocking the pair for a set at Detour in a couple of weeks.

Speaking of which, I forgot to post here when I went live - it's not technically a DJ set, but here's about an hour of me jamming with my TR8, TB3, KP3 and Ableton laptop from a few nights ago.

gucci bane
Oct 27, 2008

Hello dj goons,
Soooo I won the chance to play at the club for 30 mins on wednesday after I entered a dj competition. I didn't think I'd get a set but I did... I've only played on serato with my pioneer controller and the email said this

"Here are the details:
Will be playing on 2 x Pioneer CDJ2000's and a Pioneer DJM 800
If you have any other equipment you need make sure you bring it and are ready to set it up fairly quickly"

I am currently making GBS threads myself as I of course said yes and also do not know how to dj with cd djs and beat match purely by ear. I'm one of those lazy fuckers who uses waveforms and I meant to learn beatmatching and cd djs in the ten week djing course I'm about to do. Anyway, do any of you know if you can connect a laptop to these type of cd djs and use serato? If I should even do that!? Do they have waveforms and bpms on them? Should I just play crank that on loop?

I have access to a ddj sx as well

gucci bane
Oct 27, 2008

cname posted:

I gotta come back to this post just so I can give praise to the Holla Back Girl remix, he uploaded. I dunno who Ian Munro is, but that song got everyone going wild.

https://soundcloud.com/ianmunro/gwen-stefani-hollaback-girl

If you loved that then you're going to love this

https://soundcloud.com/ianmunro/missy-elliott-work-it-ian

:)

keevo
Jun 16, 2011

:burger:WAKE UP:burger:

Harley C posted:

Anyway, do any of you know if you can connect a laptop to these type of cd djs and use serato? If I should even do that!? Do they have waveforms and bpms on them? Should I just play crank that on
If you have a serato box you can use it with cdjs. Just get a flash drive, load up the serato waveform and it should work. You can also connect the cdjs and serato directly into serato via USB but you'll need a USB hub and it's a lot of extra work. But honestly, using cdjs for the first time can be intimidating when you don't have a lot of time to learn. This is coming from a guy who normally plays on turntables and serato.

Alfajor
Jun 10, 2005

The delicious snack cake.

Harley C posted:

as well as what??

safe play: take the ddj-sx, and plug into one of the channels of the DJM800, even if that means having to disconnect one of the CDJs.

gucci bane
Oct 27, 2008

Alfajor posted:

as well as what??

safe play: take the ddj-sx, and plug into one of the channels of the DJM800, even if that means having to disconnect one of the CDJs.

Yeah I think I'll go early and ask if I can do that and have it in the car, but practice my set assuming I don't have access to anything. So scary, although all the people there will be 18 year old uni students and won't give a gently caress as long as I play In Da Club. I don't have a serato box either.

Thanks for your advice guys

Champ Baldoon
Nov 22, 2012

Harley C posted:

Yeah I think I'll go early and ask if I can do that and have it in the car, but practice my set assuming I don't have access to anything. So scary, although all the people there will be 18 year old uni students and won't give a gently caress as long as I play In Da Club. I don't have a serato box either.

Thanks for your advice guys

if poo poo gets heavy and you can't do your actual set. play banger after banger, wait until the end of the song than just slam the echo button and slam in the next track at like the 16th or 32nd beat.

oredun
Apr 12, 2007

88h88 posted:

Personally I use Vsonic VSD1S in ears mainly because the clarity from them is pretty drat good and they're at a price ($50) where you won't cry too much if you lose them. I notice Pioneer have just released a couple of sets but the cheap set is still $160.

For the record I've used The DJ's favourite TMA-01s, HD-25s, HDJ 500, 1000, 1500 and didn't like the sound of any of them but I'm quite picky.

If you know someone with a set of anything in ear, even loving Sennheiser CX300s borrow them and see how you go. Some people hate them and others just don't think they look like a DJ without a massive set of headphones... :v:

Do these vsonics have the cinch thing on them to tighten them behind my head? I cant tell from pictures.

gucci bane
Oct 27, 2008

It's all good they're letting me use the sx! I've been so paranoid for days for no reason hahaha.. I'll give you guys a cute little my first club show write up after I've played my set.

Alfajor
Jun 10, 2005

The delicious snack cake.
Awesome. Have fun!

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

oredun posted:

Do these vsonics have the cinch thing on them to tighten them behind my head? I cant tell from pictures.

They don't but they come with a pair of hooks for putting them over your ears and a clip for attaching them to your collar or whatever. ...and a million different earpieces.

mitztronic
Jun 17, 2005

mixcloud.com/mitztronic
mmmm... soundcloud has taken down 2 of my mixes that have been up for a year+ in the past couple hours. New copyright detection method/software/parameters? I hope they don't take down more

BIG NORTH
Jul 7, 2007

I THOUGHT YOU WERE THE DEAN

mitztronic posted:

mmmm... soundcloud has taken down 2 of my mixes that have been up for a year+ in the past couple hours. New copyright detection method/software/parameters? I hope they don't take down more

Happened to me as well. I'm pretty close to saying gently caress it and using mixcloud for all my future mixes and just using soundcloud for anything I produce. To my knowledge, their copyright douchebot only scans the first bit of the tracks, so just don't open up with anything from a major label and you should be okay (or just edit the poo poo out of it).

bad day
Mar 26, 2012

by VideoGames
Or mix/mashup the first track so it's statistically different from whatever they are comparing it with.

an skeleton
Apr 23, 2012

scowls @ u
I think I lost the power cord to my Traktor S2. I have to DJ a ball next week and I don't think I need it but I'd feel more comfortable having it. It says 9-20V DC over it, seems simple enough but I don't want to buy the wrong thing. Can anyone point me in the right direction, preferably a direction with Amazon prime?

vanilla slimfast
Dec 6, 2006

If anyone needs me, I'll be in the Angry Dome

an skeleton posted:

I think I lost the power cord to my Traktor S2. I have to DJ a ball next week and I don't think I need it but I'd feel more comfortable having it. It says 9-20V DC over it, seems simple enough but I don't want to buy the wrong thing. Can anyone point me in the right direction, preferably a direction with Amazon prime?

Make sure you get the amperage (current) rating correct in addition to the voltage

looks like you need it to be rated for 9VDC and 1200mA, in addition to having the right plug

http://turntablelab.com/products/native-instruments-power-supply-for-traktor-kontrol-s4-audio-6-audio-10

Dessert Rose
May 17, 2004

awoken in control of a lucid deep dream...

an skeleton posted:

You really don't need it, all it does is make the lights a little brighter and the cue output louder. I haven't had mine for months and I play in pretty loud clubs.

That said, if you find a good deal on one that works, I wouldn't mind replacing mine too.

gucci bane
Oct 27, 2008

So my set went ok! I planned it out and played a song out of order quite early on and I still had it lined up right but then the pitch fader moved (either bass or I knocked it not sure) so my third mix was shot which made me even more super nervous than before. Which didn't help for lining up songs because I was so nervous I kept missing the bars. A girl also helped herself into the booth after a while and started hitting on me, which I wasn't to fond of because of being under ~first djing~ pressure and then she took it upon herself to keep scratching and touching the platters until she lost interest and left. The only complaints I heard were that there was too much rap music and not enough 'trap bangers' which is alright considering in my own head I was thinking I had just done the worst set of history. All in all I'm happy with myself for playing in a club as my second time playing out ever and after only 4 months since I started. I would definitely recommend to just jump in head first to anyone who wants to. Thanks for all your advice dj thread <3

BIG NORTH
Jul 7, 2007

I THOUGHT YOU WERE THE DEAN

Harley C posted:

So my set went ok! I planned it out and played a song out of order quite early on and I still had it lined up right but then the pitch fader moved (either bass or I knocked it not sure) so my third mix was shot which made me even more super nervous than before. Which didn't help for lining up songs because I was so nervous I kept missing the bars. A girl also helped herself into the booth after a while and started hitting on me, which I wasn't to fond of because of being under ~first djing~ pressure and then she took it upon herself to keep scratching and touching the platters until she lost interest and left. The only complaints I heard were that there was too much rap music and not enough 'trap bangers' which is alright considering in my own head I was thinking I had just done the worst set of history. All in all I'm happy with myself for playing in a club as my second time playing out ever and after only 4 months since I started. I would definitely recommend to just jump in head first to anyone who wants to. Thanks for all your advice dj thread <3

God drat I hate when people just come in the booth like that. Glad to hear it went well dude

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

Yeah it's bad enough when people come up to request poo poo and you have to politely tell them their choice of <insert track which is totally not the styles you're playing tonight> 'might get played later' but if someone steps up and starts touching your equipment you have every right to request security to get them removed and booted the gently caress out.

The first gig is a nightmare, mine was in a mostly empty room after everyone had cleared off for the night about 2am so it was all good.

gucci bane
Oct 27, 2008

88h88 posted:

Yeah it's bad enough when people come up to request poo poo and you have to politely tell them their choice of <insert track which is totally not the styles you're playing tonight> 'might get played later' but if someone steps up and starts touching your equipment you have every right to request security to get them removed and booted the gently caress out.

The first gig is a nightmare, mine was in a mostly empty room after everyone had cleared off for the night about 2am so it was all good.

Yeah she was so short that nobody saw her except people dancing next to the booth, and she had 3 gorilla dickhead mates outside the booth laughing and watching her so I didn't really know what the to do. Putting in the headphone to the mic and calling security did go across my mind but I didn't want to leave an impression that I'm an agro guy or cause a fight to break out. It was in a full club of a few hundred people including heaps of my friends at 12pm right after a guy who played a really good trap set! I'm so jealous of you! :|Fave part of the set was when I echo braked a song then played this https://soundcloud.com/djluxemusic/lion-kings-elevate-x-luxe everyone was all annoyed for a bit then got into it which was amusing enough to make it all worth it hahah!

19 o'clock
Sep 9, 2004

Excelsior!!!

Harley C posted:

...everyone was all annoyed for a bit then got into it which was amusing enough to make it all worth it hahah!

I've discovered that people don't really know what they like. The place I'm playing at on the regular starts to wane a bit toward the end of the night so I take this opportunity to play whatever I want. I usually switch over to a funk/electro-funk/80's set. People go poo poo house for it. I start with an 80's anthem and move into Parliament, Jackson 5, Earth Wind & Fire, New Edition - it's all good when people are nice and drunk.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bad day
Mar 26, 2012

by VideoGames
Drunk people just want to hear something they know already. Took me a decade to figure this one out.