Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Plom Bar
Jun 5, 2004

hardest time i ever done :(

Dolash posted:

I actually thought it was some kind of hosed-up glove at first.

This merchandizing push seems like it's coming a little late, surely if they meant to strike while the iron was hot they wouldn't be putting all this out during an interminable hiatus?

I'd be inclined to agree iff this stuff wasn't selling out super fast. It probably would have sold faster back in the pre-Cascade days, but I don't think they're hurting for consumers at this point.

edit oh god dammit hang on

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tinaun
Jun 9, 2011

tell me...

Plom Bar posted:

It probably would have sold faster back in the pre-Cascade days

(from left to right: start of homestuck, hivebent, cascade, gigapause)

As long as Homestuck updates regularly, it gains new fans. Homestuck is much more popular now than it was around cascade. Andrew could have just sold out the rights a couple years back to make a quick buck, but he felt that making an actual company to handle it all would be much better in the long run.

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

wheres the jester, I could do with some pointless nonsense right about now

Dolash posted:

I actually thought it was some kind of hosed-up glove at first.

This merchandizing push seems like it's coming a little late, surely if they meant to strike while the iron was hot they wouldn't be putting all this out during an interminable hiatus?

I think this is aimed at the teenager fans starved for content that try to fill the hole left by Homestuck with merchandise.

frozentreasure
Nov 13, 2012

~
"Hey kids, bummed that you won't be getting a Homestuck update on this 4/13? Now you can have the next best thing: material goods!" To be fair, if they put out the Intermission book I'd be pretty pleased.

On a different note, I was hanging out with some friends today and expressed my annoyance at a person using the term "auspistice" to refer to themselves as a mediator in a conversation I was having with a scumbag a couple of weeks ago, and one of the people there started solemnly defending the use of the quadrant names to refer to actual human relationships. Anyone else ever find themselves in conversations like that? How the gently caress are you supposed to respond to people who wholly equate an Ash/Gary rivalry to the caliginous romances shown so far in HS?

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Anybody who ever uses that word had better be doing it as a joke.

The Deleter
May 22, 2010

frozentreasure posted:

How the gently caress are you supposed to respond to people who wholly equate an Ash/Gary rivalry to the caliginous romances shown so far in HS?

Lynch them all. Nobody uses the troll romances in the correct way or context and it's better to be safe than sorry.

Alternatively just call them a bunch of shitlords, I guess.

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

frozentreasure posted:

On a different note, I was hanging out with some friends today and expressed my annoyance at a person using the term "auspistice" to refer to themselves as a mediator in a conversation I was having with a scumbag a couple of weeks ago
Oh come on now, they were probably just jok-

frozentreasure posted:

and one of the people there started solemnly defending the use of the quadrant names to refer to actual human relationships.
Feel free to make fun of him to your heart's content, and if he declares you his kismesis crane kick him in the mouth.

Honestlu, it can be funny to equate a fictional character's interactions with another with another to a quadrant, but you should never, [i]ever[i] take it seriously. Hussie didn't crack the metaphysical code of relationships and put it into his webcomic. And if you do the same with real life people, and you're not joking, you should seriously revaluate your life choices.

ANIME MONSTROSITY
Jun 1, 2012

by XyloJW

ANIME MONSTROSITY posted:

My younger brother just texted me he has started reading Homestuck, what do I do?

Status update: He stopped after getting to Hivebent, calling it 'unreadable trash".

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Speaking as someone who has posted over one thousand times in this lovely thread, he made a reasonable decision. The wordplay potential of typing quirks is completely overwhelmed by how much of a pain in the rear end they are to read.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Surprised nobody's made a greasemonkey userscript that changes troll quirk text into normal text. Presumably it wouldn't be too hard since we already know the parameters for each troll's typing thing, if you were willing to put up with a few special case errors.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

CJacobs posted:

Surprised nobody's made a greasemonkey userscript that changes troll quirk text into normal text. Presumably it wouldn't be too hard since we already know the parameters for each troll's typing thing, if you were willing to put up with a few special case errors.

Uh, they did?

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Regy Rusty posted:

Uh, they did?

Huh! I never bothered looking for one so I just assumed it didn't exist. Out of sight out of mind etc.

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

I never had a problem reading the quirks, except for Mituna's, but I can see how they could be irritating.

Also, most Homestuck fans consider the quirks an integral part of the experience, so the userscript used for cancelling them isn't really well known.
I kind of agree; their typing reinforces their themes and features as characters. People that read Gamzee's text for the first time will probably think that he's brain dead and the uppercase-lowercase variation reinforces that idea.

But hey, if they bother you so much that it ruins the experience for you, don't read it. To each their own, and all that stuff.

paradoxGentleman fucked around with this message at 14:34 on Apr 5, 2014

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

First time I read this comic I skipped over the troll part. Second time I read it though. (I tried a third read through for the read-along thread, but gave up in act 2.)

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

It probably does not reflect well on me that I took "unreadable trash" to refer to the literary content of the Hivebent pages rather than the typing quirks.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

YF-23 posted:

It probably does not reflect well on me that I took "unreadable trash" to refer to the literary content of the Hivebent pages rather than the typing quirks.

That was my first inclination too, but it's mostly because I already feel like that whole segment was a huge drag.

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

YF-23 posted:

What did you not like about Hivebent? A lot of people are bothered by the perspective switch and the fact that the story just kind of dumps the kids to focus on the trolls all of a sudden. Is that it?

I like to talk about Homestuck with people that did not enjoy it and can make worthwhile critique; I feel like it expands my horizons and probably teaches me something.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I already don't like rapid-fire character development and that portion of Homestuck did it with like 10 people in a row which kinda killed it for a while with me. It's not really the comic's fault because I'm sure a lot of people had no problem with that.

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

paradoxGentleman posted:

What did you not like about Hivebent? A lot of people are bothered by the perspective switch and the fact that the story just kind of dumps the kids to focus on the trolls all of a sudden. Is that it?

I like to talk about Homestuck with people that did not enjoy it and can make worthwhile critique; I feel like it expands my horizons and probably teaches me something.

Hivebent was around the time when huge pesterlogs begun between characters there wasn't much emotional attachment to. It was often a drag to read through; usually when you have such lengthy expositions of characters it's characters you've had some chance to get familiar with earlier on so you are actually interested in all the bullshit interactions with each other, but Hivebent mostly did those bullshit interactions as introduction.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

It's kind of a victim of the comic's lack of planning. When Hussie first came up with the trolls he'd said he didn't necessarily intend to introduce them all, and by now it's fairly clear he doesn't think it was worth it. Hivebent only needed to be about the trolls already introduced by that point, plus Vriska and maybe Gamzee (or maybe he could have been introduced later, once he started to become relevant).

Which is not to say it isn't still a fun part of the story, or that the other trolls were not worthwhile additions at all. Filling in all the little gaps with character details may amount to nothing more than fanservice (see also the Meenah walkarounds - I'm not entirely convinced he won't try to include something about the alpha ancestors) but they do help make the world feel larger than the story being told. They just don't actually contribute to said story.

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

ANIME MONSTROSITY posted:

Status update: He stopped after getting to Hivebent, calling it 'unreadable trash".

Sounds like your brother is a filthy casual. Heh.

red plastic cup
Apr 25, 2012

Reach WITH IN To your LOCAL cup and you may find A Friend And Boy...

Seoinin posted:

Sounds like your brother is a filthy casual. Heh.
                     /

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

red plastic cup posted:

/

Literally my face at all times when discussing the correct way to read em-ess paint adventures dot com

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

How do you keep the film reels in place?

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

Hivebent's always going to be a point of contention when talking about Homestuck, made all the more difficult by the fact that the trolls are all quite popular and Hivebent is also what made the comic skyrocket in popularity.

I still think he should've treated the trolls more like the Exiles and saved all that time and effort for the post-Scratch kids, whom we might've enjoyed more if they weren't being hurriedly tacked on at the end and bringing a halt to all narrative momentum.

The way he handled the pre-scratch trolls probably would've worked better for the post-Scratch ones as well, just introduce most of them in sketch to give you a better idea of what their group dyanmic is like and what happened in their session, then only ever pay attention to a couple of them. We could've basically skipped Hivebent and made do with Alterniabound.

Edit: Actually, the more I think about it, the more I'm curious how well the story would work if you cut out Hivebent but left everything else as-is. I mean sure, you'd have less background to understand what's going on at the meteor when poo poo hits the fan, but that's kind of the point, and it whittles the cast down to just the important ones anyway.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
Yknow I think a thing I don't get and probably a bunch of others don't get is why the trolls as a race are so popular that people make their own and all that.

I can understanding liking them individually like karkat or terezi or meenah. Or maybe liking the story of hivebent.

But the troll mania that has taken a large part of the fandom - the obsession with buckets and using quadrant words irl and troll-slang and typing quirks and clown religions and stuff like that.... it's hard to get. The trolls have boring designs and a lot of them are like people but with weird-for-the-sake-of-weird added to them.

I mean they're internet trolls as a species. That's kind of fundamentally stupid.

Thwack!
Aug 14, 2010

Ability: Shadow Tag
I see it as another Sonic OC kind of thing, but I believe Hussie has kind of implied that all fantrolls are canon. So yeah, there's that.

Thwack! fucked around with this message at 19:13 on Apr 5, 2014

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
I remember someone earlier in the thread pointed out that the trolls are basically teenagers with superpowers, everything in their life is a massive struggle and nobody understands, and surprise surprise, teens connect really well with trolls because their lives are massive struggles where nobody understands. Or something like that. Made sense to me, at least.

Frankly, it's always hard to tell what people will connect with. Did anybody expect MLP to connect so well with 30+ year old adult males?

life_source
May 11, 2008

i got tired of looking at your edgy baby avatar that a 14-year old would be proud of

Rita Repulsa posted:

Yknow I think a thing I don't get and probably a bunch of others don't get is why the trolls as a race are so popular that people make their own and all that.

I can understanding liking them individually like karkat or terezi or meenah. Or maybe liking the story of hivebent.

But the troll mania that has taken a large part of the fandom - the obsession with buckets and using quadrant words irl and troll-slang and typing quirks and clown religions and stuff like that.... it's hard to get. The trolls have boring designs and a lot of them are like people but with weird-for-the-sake-of-weird added to them.

I mean they're internet trolls as a species. That's kind of fundamentally stupid.

It's two things:

1) Madlib character creation for a race of cool aliens with psychic powers

2) Romance in a way that makes sense (to people with broken heads)

Thwack! posted:

I see it as another Sonic OC kind of thing, but I believe Hussie has kind of implied that all fantrolls are canon. So yeah, there's that.

They are canon for the sole purpose of dying off screen, faceless and useless so everyone should be 100% OK with that.

Well Manicured Man
Aug 21, 2010

Well Manicured Mort
Trolls are popular for pretty much the same reason My Little Pony/Sonic "original character do not steal"s and deviantArt adoptables are popular. Things like horn shapes, blood color, shirt symbols, and typing quirks makes it easy to come up with your own fan characters even if you're not good at things like character design or even art in general. And as for the quadrants, people who are really deep into fandom were all over that stuff way before Hivebent started, they just didn't have funny made-up words for them. If I were more cynical I'd say that trolls were tailored perfectly to make people in fandoms go gaga over them.

Popo
Apr 24, 2008

Homestuck is a true work of art surpassing all of Shakespeare's works.

Well Manicured Man posted:

If I were more cynical I'd say that trolls were tailored perfectly to make people in fandoms go gaga over them.

I don't necessarily think it's a bad thing. It's a good way for kids to apply their imagination too. They're still making their own characters but in an established framework so they have something to help refer too. It's a good mid ground between making fanart/fiction of established characters in established settings and your own characters in your own settings.
In a way it's the same appeal as most sandbox games. You make your own character within the game preset limits and run around a world however you want within the games predefined parameters. It gives just enough framework to hang your own ideas off of. It's not for everyone but for some people it's a great tool for developing the imagination. Homestuck in particular is great since it gives you a framework for the character and world design but after that the narrative is wide open.

When it's bad it's very, very bad but when a kid really clicks with it then it's fantastic.

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

The Devil sounds like smoke and honey. We cannot move. It is too beautiful.

Well Manicured Man posted:

Trolls are popular for pretty much the same reason My Little Pony/Sonic "original character do not steal"s and deviantArt adoptables are popular. Things like horn shapes, blood color, shirt symbols, and typing quirks makes it easy to come up with your own fan characters even if you're not good at things like character design or even art in general. And as for the quadrants, people who are really deep into fandom were all over that stuff way before Hivebent started, they just didn't have funny made-up words for them. If I were more cynical I'd say that trolls were tailored perfectly to make people in fandoms go gaga over them.

I think most of the troll stuff, and especially the romance nonsense was supposed to be a kind of loving mockery of various internet cultures.
A lot of younger people/children will see that and go "haha, that's me, I can relate." Hopefully in a couple of years they'll grow up and go "oh nooooo that was me, why can I relate"

ThisIsNoZaku
Apr 22, 2013

Pew Pew Pew!

AriadneThread posted:

I think most of the troll stuff, and especially the romance nonsense was supposed to be a kind of loving mockery of various internet cultures.
A lot of younger people/children will see that and go "haha, that's me, I can relate." Hopefully in a couple of years they'll grow up and go "oh nooooo that was me, why can I relate"

There's a difference between "relate" and "shape my identity around this."

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

The Devil sounds like smoke and honey. We cannot move. It is too beautiful.

ThisIsNoZaku posted:

There's a difference between "relate" and "shape my identity around this."

Do you remember high school politics

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

Your life's been thrown in disarray already--I wouldn't want you to feel pressured.

College Slice

Popo posted:

I don't necessarily think it's a bad thing. It's a good way for kids to apply their imagination too. They're still making their own characters but in an established framework so they have something to help refer too. It's a good mid ground between making fanart/fiction of established characters in established settings and your own characters in your own settings.
In a way it's the same appeal as most sandbox games. You make your own character within the game preset limits and run around a world however you want within the games predefined parameters. It gives just enough framework to hang your own ideas off of. It's not for everyone but for some people it's a great tool for developing the imagination. Homestuck in particular is great since it gives you a framework for the character and world design but after that the narrative is wide open.

When it's bad it's very, very bad but when a kid really clicks with it then it's fantastic.

If you put it that way, it suggests that declaring all fan trolls canon was very empowering of Hussie.

Plom Bar
Jun 5, 2004

hardest time i ever done :(

Thwack! posted:

Hussie also did this:

Just to give you an idea of how seriously one should take "canon".

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

Thwack! posted:

I wish when Hussie declared all fantrolls as canon he, in the same post, also declared that all fantrolls were now dead forever as a result of the Vast Glub, and it's canon that none of them get into dream bubbles either because they aren't important enough.

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

JT Jag posted:

I wish when Hussie declared all fantrolls as canon he, in the same post, also declared that all fantrolls were now dead forever as a result of the Vast Glub, and it's canon that none of them get into dream bubbles either because they aren't important enough.

That would be shooting himself in the foot. As many and as lovely as they are, the existance of those fantrolls in canon does not influence the story one bit. This way he made each wannabe creator feel **special**, knowing full well that since everyone who isn't a Sburb player or the Condensce has died in varyingly gruesome ways, he can't be called out on it. Also like Plom Bar said canon isn't that much of a concern for him.

I'm a little torn about this. While I would love for the Alpha kids to be developed more and I agree that the trolls slow the story down, I kind of feel like the trolls are necessary to the narrative. Their importance was foreshadowed for a big chunck of act 4 and I think I would have felt kind of ripped off if they were just stuffed into a walkaround.

Not everything needs to add something to the plot to deserve to be added to the story. If you reduce a story to the bare facts, you lose half the charm of it. I'm not saying that maybe Homestuck as a whole would benefit from trimming some of the fat, but you risk losing some worthwhile stuff while doing so.

All in all, I think I agree with Tenebrais on this one. Nepeta and the archeradicators and the penis ouija board might not add much to the plot, but I'm glad they're there.

edit: corrected a mistake.

paradoxGentleman fucked around with this message at 21:04 on Apr 5, 2014

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Plom Bar posted:

Hussie also did this:

Just to give you an idea of how seriously one should take "canon".

He just signed it, he didn't draw that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

Also it's not NEARLY fat enough.