Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.
College students are insufferably entitled little shits who think the world should revolve around their asses, news at 11

InitialDave posted:

Ah well. Here is your squid for the day:

I don't remember how to find the full vid but the guy is riding like an utter twat, well in excess of safe speeds (on a road you could probably do double the posted limit or more and be just fine) and all over the loving road, especially in blind corners. It was only a matter of time before it ended badly and that looked like the gentlest way possible for it do so.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

Powershift posted:

But the uniform code clearly states they should be red.

The 4 requiremnts are
-Red hella supertones
-red rally armor mudflaps
-A ken block t-shirt
-A buddy in the passengers seat that is totally gonna kill mustangs once R34 GT-Rs become legal

You forgot Monster and DC Shoes stickers loving everywhere.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Snowdens Secret posted:

I don't remember how to find the full vid but the guy is riding like an utter twat, well in excess of safe speeds (on a road you could probably do double the posted limit or more and be just fine) and all over the loving road, especially in blind corners. It was only a matter of time before it ended badly and that looked like the gentlest way possible for it do so.
It was posted in the CA pics&vids thread a few pages back.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NYkuYg5qvPI

The crash is just after the 2:20 mark. He could probably have taken that curve at the speed he was going without crossing the line, but he target fixated on the oncoming car and went wide.

e: On the upside he was really quick on realizing his mistake and swerving to the right. I guess going over a fence and tumbling down a hill is still preferable to splattering yourself onto a car's windshield.

Collateral Damage fucked around with this message at 15:17 on Apr 5, 2014

Crankit
Feb 7, 2011

HE WATCHES

Snowdens Secret posted:

College students are insufferably entitled little shits who think the world should revolve around their asses, news at 11

He's not doing the isle of man circuit is he?

jammyozzy
Dec 7, 2006

Is that a challenge?
Doesn't look like any bit of the circuit that I can remember, plus I saw a speed camera sign flash past which would surely be redundant on an island with no national speed limit.

ijustam
Jun 20, 2005

I used to drive buses for a university and there was a campus-wide rumor that if you got hit by a bus you'd get your tuition paid for. So, naturally not many people really gambled for it (it also wasn't true and when people told me I told them they'd be dead and I'd have a lot of paperwork to fill out) but it did seem to encourage large groups of people to just walk in front of the buses because they know we'd stop. Certain crosswalks had to be driven through slowly just to make sure people wouldn't try to race you. It was rather annoying.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

John Dough posted:

That gif is also a good example of why you want to have your headlights on always, especially as a grey car in grey-ish weather. Not that the motorcyclist isn't totally at fault here, but still.

Isn't this directly at odds with the "DRLs on cars put motorcyclists at risk by desensitizing everyone on the road to them" argument?

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Crankit posted:

He's not doing the isle of man circuit is he?
Based on the placenames on the signposts, I would put them as being in Cheshire, heading east on the A537 - otherwise known as the Cat & Fiddle, the eponymous pub being a mile or two along from where he stacked it.

Given it's famous for being about the most dangerous road in the country, yeah, he's a bit of a spanner.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?

InitialDave posted:

I was the person you share the road with today. I was in the wrong lane of a large roundabout, turns out you couldn't go right, only straight on. Had to choose between cutting up an artic in the lane I actually needed, or a guy in a Focus who though I was going to do that and was already trying to take my place in my current lane. Chose the focus.

Ah well. Here is your squid for the day:

My favorite crash videos are when a rider makes a pass then immediately bins it on the next corner.

Devyl
Mar 27, 2005

It slices!

It dices!

It makes Julienne fries!
Yesterday I was taking a friend to her house when I approached a car in the middle of the road, stopped about 75 feet back from a stop-sign. I honked at them to let them know they were blocking traffic both ways. The driver appeared to be rummaging through her purse while on her cellphone and just waved at me to pass. Not a huge deal since there's not a ton of traffic through there. Well, I found out this morning via my girlfriend that said car is now across the road from the stop-sign, resting above a ditch. And now there's a cop car sitting there waiting for the driver to come back. I just want to know what caused her to haul rear end across the road and then abandon her car... :iiam:

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.

Devyl posted:

I just want to know what caused her to haul rear end across the road and then abandon her car... :iiam:

Well, the first part's a mystery, but I'd wager the car's abandoned because it's low-centered across a ditch.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
Incoming fraudulent "theft" claim from driver in 5, 4, 3, 2, 1...

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

rscott posted:

Flashing reds means you treat it as a 4 way stop, or more accurately everyone comes to a stop, no one knows the rules so it's people in 4 lanes each slowly inching out and seeing if someone else in the other 3 directions is going to go through

Where I live, the traffic lights break pretty regularly for whatever reason and go into emergency red flashing mode. For the most part, people respond pretty well and traffic moves pretty smoothly in turns but ever since I almost got t-boned I just find another way around them. Luckily I was paying attention to the guy to my right, because when it was our turn to go I saw him hit the brakes and then hit mine just as a sweet 'Stang flies through the intersection at 40+ MPH.

But it's Albuquerque so there's a 90% chance I'm going to get taken out by a drunk driver while sitting in my living room anyway.

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.

KozmoNaut posted:

Whoever wrote this note is my hero.

I need something like this but looking like parking tickets, because of all the lazy assholes doing "I'll only be a few minutes" drops into the store by parking right by the door making the parking lot vein a one and a fourth car wide mess.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Or the lady at the gas station today who stopped her car in the aisle between the pumps and the store, in front of the parking spots (she was blocking two of them). Got out and walked inside for something, there was an old woman in the passenger seat (I guess her mom or something).

I don't understand, you're literally inches away from 3 adjacent open spots, why would you not pull in one and instead block cars trying to drive out?

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe

MrLonghair posted:

I need something like this but looking like parking tickets, because of all the lazy assholes doing "I'll only be a few minutes" drops into the store by parking right by the door making the parking lot vein a one and a fourth car wide mess.

http://www.youparklikeanasshole.com/files/notice_1.pdf

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Much as I agree that self absorbed douchebags who park like idiots should be mocked and hassled, I suggest caution in using that type of notice. A friend of mine from another forum was served with assault charges because he left one of those under some thin skinned idiot's wiper blade and they "felt threatened". I don't know if it ended up sticking but basically the offending party went crying to the store manager and got the surveillance recordings, got his license plate info, then reported it to the police.

Not worth the hassle. Drive a shitbox and park 4 inches from their drivers door, parallel to their vehicle. Leave a gopro in your vehicle recording their actions.

dpidz0r
Jul 29, 2012

kastein posted:

Drive a shitbox and park 4 inches from their drivers door, parallel to their vehicle.
When I was driving my truck a lot, I got quite good with handling it in narrow spaces. I remember a few times at college wedging it in between two badly parked cars such that I had to climb out the back window and drag my backpack out after me.

I can only hope that they realized their mistake and resolved never to do that bad of a parking job again, rather than mumble something about assholes who drive trucks as they climbed in through their trunk.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

kastein posted:

Not worth the hassle. Drive a shitbox and park 4 inches from their drivers door, parallel to their vehicle. Leave a gopro in your vehicle recording their actions.

I was on the recipient of this at work for no apparent reason the other day, except I was also driving my shitbox Ranger. Some dick in a MR2 parked so far to the right in their spot (next to my truck which had been there six hours by then) that I had to slide in from the passenger seat.

For a few moments, I contemplated how I could've made enough room to get in on the driver's side, if I smashed my door repeatedly into theirs until the mirror broke off.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
Was royally confused by a semi on my drive home today. I'm driving with my cruise control set to 74 mph (~71 mph actual because my speedo is a little fast) on a 70 mph interstate and come up behind a semi going 5-10 mph faster than he was. I pull into the left lane and start passing, still using cruise control. As I start passing his cab, he speeds up until we are about even, then slows down and pulls back. Okay. I get a few car lengths ahead and pull in front of the semi in the right lane.

The semi proceeds to park himself about a car length off my bumper for ... a long time (~15 minutes? wasn't really keep track of time). He then apparently got annoyed enough and started to pass me ... at about 1 mph faster than I was going. I just stayed cruising at a constant speed and it took him over 12 miles to go around me. He then stayed ~2 car lengths in front of me for the next 12 miles until my exit came up, never pulling away from me (the gap actually started to close whenever we went up a hill).

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
Why would you let that happen when you can just speed up 2mph and avoid the whole potentially dangerous situation?

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
You could have pressed all the way down on your right pedal (the skinny long one) an avoided that situation pretty quickly.

Why you decided to stay in that position is beyond me. When I come upon poo poo drivers on the freeway I distance myself as far ahead of them as possible.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Uthor posted:

Was royally confused by a semi on my drive home today. I'm driving with my cruise control set to 74 mph (~71 mph actual because my speedo is a little fast) on a 70 mph interstate and come up behind a semi going 5-10 mph faster than he was. I pull into the left lane and start passing, still using cruise control. As I start passing his cab, he speeds up until we are about even, then slows down and pulls back. Okay. I get a few car lengths ahead and pull in front of the semi in the right lane.

The semi proceeds to park himself about a car length off my bumper for ... a long time (~15 minutes? wasn't really keep track of time). He then apparently got annoyed enough and started to pass me ... at about 1 mph faster than I was going. I just stayed cruising at a constant speed and it took him over 12 miles to go around me. He then stayed ~2 car lengths in front of me for the next 12 miles until my exit came up, never pulling away from me (the gap actually started to close whenever we went up a hill).

Just because the trucker was tweaking doesn't mean you should keep yourself in a dangerous situation.

dpidz0r
Jul 29, 2012

Chinatown posted:

When I come upon poo poo drivers on the freeway I distance myself as far ahead of them as possible.

I try to do that as well, but whenever I do I'm always paranoid that it'll happen right in front some cop who thinks he's a big hero for nailing an evil speeder doing 5 over the limit (because speeding kills doncha know! driving in the blind spot of someone with a chip on their shoulder can't possibly also be a cause of accidents!), and all of my efforts to convince him of my reasons will just be met with sarcasm and whatever else he can do to make my life miserable.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
Apparently parking lots mean that driving down the middle of the loving isle is ok.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

ratbert90 posted:

Apparently parking lots mean that driving down the middle of the loving isle is ok.

See also: people who don't understand the concept of one-way aisles and honk at you when you come down the right way, blocking their path (you and the 10 cars behind you).

Or, people who think that parking lots give them free will to dash across aisles without looking for car/walk lazily towards the store right down the middle. And they always look at you dirty like you're driving recklessly at 1mph.

Hell, I had a guy jaywalk, basically jumped in front of me as I was turning left onto a divided road, had to stop in the lane and let him cross to the median. Then after he was clear I gunned it (to avoid the traffic from the light that was now approaching me from behind) he turned and yelled "rear end in a top hat!" Yeah, buddy, I'm the one who's endangering your law-breaking rear end.

Best part is there's a crosswalk with a dedicated light not 500 feet away but nope, this idiot's gotta go STRAIGHT home.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
To contribute, some jackass in a bro truck came over the white line into the bike lane and passed me by inches today apparently just to be a dick.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Fucknag posted:

See also: people who don't understand the concept of one-way aisles and honk at you when you come down the right way, blocking their path (you and the 10 cars behind you).

Or, people who think that parking lots give them free will to dash across aisles without looking for car/walk lazily towards the store right down the middle. And they always look at you dirty like you're driving recklessly at 1mph.

Hell, I had a guy jaywalk, basically jumped in front of me as I was turning left onto a divided road, had to stop in the lane and let him cross to the median. Then after he was clear I gunned it (to avoid the traffic from the light that was now approaching me from behind) he turned and yelled "rear end in a top hat!" Yeah, buddy, I'm the one who's endangering your law-breaking rear end.

Best part is there's a crosswalk with a dedicated light not 500 feet away but nope, this idiot's gotta go STRAIGHT home.

People who don't understand parking lot etiquette drive me up the loving wall.

I was in a 100% full Costco parking lot(which is 3 loving acres, and was completely full) and had signaled into a spot into which somebody was loading their haul to leave. After they left, somebody showed up and tried taking the spot to which i laid claim nearly 5 minutes previous.

They were in a 2012+ ram 3500 with a lift kit, which they probably paid $80,000 for. I was in a $1000 beater BMW. I knew rubbing against their tire wouldn't damage my paint, and we were probably less than 2 inches apart, at a point where they would have completely lost sight of my car before they backed down.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Uthor posted:

He was probably pissed because a couple carlengths is way too close for comfort, but the rest of what he did is idiot douchebag stuff and unjustifiable.

It takes a looooooong distance to stop a truck.

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

clown is watching you sleep
My strategy for truckers on the highway is that they are huge and don't give any fucks, and I am small and fast, so I get the gently caress out of their way and smile at the sounds my turbo makes rolling on in 6th gear.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

kastein posted:

He was probably pissed because a couple carlengths is way too close for comfort, but the rest of what he did is idiot douchebag stuff and unjustifiable.

It takes longer to get up to speed, and a lot of room to maintain a constant speed on a road that isn't dead flat. My engine produces 480hp, my engine brake produces 800hp and my brakes over 2000hp. With a full load in a modern 400hp truck, minor grades that are imperceptible to most cars means effort to a truck. If a driver knows the road, they know what speed they have to be doing at the bottom of a hill to be doing a reasonable speed at the top of the hill, even if you can't tell that hill is there.

There are some assholes out ther that would drive like an rear end in a top hat regardless of what vehicle they're in, but in general if there's a loaded truck 3 feet off your bumper, you're doing something wrong.

El Jebus
Jun 18, 2008

This avatar is paid for by "Avatars for improving Lowtax's spine by any means that doesn't result in him becoming brain dead by putting his brain into a cyborg body and/or putting him in a exosuit due to fears of the suit being hacked and crushing him during a cyberpunk future timeline" Foundation

kastein posted:

Yeah, I don't pull back in front of them until I see the whole truck in the rear view (not the side mirror!).

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

...but experts warn it is
just a drop in the ocean.

El Jebus posted:

Yeah, I don't pull back in front of them until I see the whole truck in the rear view (not the side mirror!).

What really pisses me off is when I'm in the left-hand lane trying to get back in the right after passing a semi, but the asshats behind me won't let me because they keep juking across inches away from the truck's bumper and then roaring past me in the right-hand lane. :argh:

90s Solo Cup
Feb 22, 2011

To understand the cup
He must become the cup

The above shows a two-lane road with a center turning lane that fans out into six lanes at the intersection and shrinks back to two lanes and a center turning lane again.

The red and blue lines? Traffic in the red lane goes straight. Drivers in the blue lane think they can go straight until they're confronted with the dedicated right turn, at which point they either dive back into the red lane (to the consternation of people already in the red lane) or slow down and crawl along until they can get back in the proper lane.

Some people use the blue lane to blast past the long line of traffic that inevitably builds up during rush hour. Sometimes you get to see a drag race between two assholes who don't want to cede their place in traffic.

It's late at night, traffic is low and the lights for this particular road are timed short in favor of the massive eight-laned monstrosity in the photo. I'm sitting at the light all by my lonesome until I get the green, only to see a pair of headlights about two hundred feet behind me in the rear-view mirror and closing fast. Apparently some tool in a Camry figures he can not only beat the yellow, but also yours truly.

I make it across the intersection only to get cut off by this asshat (a few feet away from the gas pump canopy in the pic) who then proceeds to book it down the road at 60-65 mph (legal speed limit? 35), only to spend the next mile or so parked on the bumper of an old pickup until said asshat turns off on another street. :wtc:

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

El Jebus posted:

Yeah, that's my rule. I didn't cut him off, I saw the whole rig in my mirror before pulling back into the right. It's the fact the I caught up to him easily and I passed 90% of the semi easily at a constant cruise before he sped up and closed the gap that annoyed me.

I really should have floored it and gone past, but at that point, I was more curious about what he was doing than concerned for my safety (stupid, I know).

Rude Dude With Tude
Apr 19, 2007

Your President approves this text.

John Dough posted:

That gif is also a good example of why you want to have your headlights on always, especially as a grey car in grey-ish weather. Not that the motorcyclist isn't totally at fault here, but still.
Grey cars are especially not a good idea in Britain where everything is grey and it hasn't stopped raining since the 14th century

MrLonghair posted:

As above the "you park like an rear end in a top hat" thing or the slightly ruder leaflets from :britain: http://www.youparklikeacunt.com :britain: http://www.shotdeadinthehead.com/yplac-booklet.html

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008

ratbert90 posted:

If there's not oncoming traffic, driving down the middle not only gives the driver a better view of possible spots on both sides around the Escaburbalade SUVs inevitably parked hanging three feet out of the parking spots, it also gives anyone trying to pull out of those spots a better chance to see them, around same hazards to navigation. Driving down the middle usually also gives the most room to pedestrians, unless they're being idiots and also walking down the loving middle.

If there's oncoming traffic? Yeah, move the gently caress over.

Powershift posted:

People who don't understand parking lot etiquette drive me up the loving wall.

I was in a 100% full Costco parking lot(which is 3 loving acres, and was completely full) and had signaled into a spot into which somebody was loading their haul to leave. After they left, somebody showed up and tried taking the spot to which i laid claim nearly 5 minutes previous.

I know you're probably exaggerating a tad with '5 minutes' but the people who park it waiting for a spot, usually blocking the lane for who knows how many people, instead of circling around or just coming back when it's less busy, are pretty goofy too. Does the parked car have its engine running or its reverse lights on? Ok, sure. Is mawmaw still securing children 2-4 in their back seat harnesses? Ehhh. I've had people who decided they want the spot I'm vacating, but have managed to stop so close to stake their claim that I can't loving pull out.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Snowdens Secret posted:

I know you're probably exaggerating a tad with '5 minutes' but the people who park it waiting for a spot, usually blocking the lane for who knows how many people, instead of circling around or just coming back when it's less busy, are pretty goofy too. Does the parked car have its engine running or its reverse lights on? Ok, sure. Is mawmaw still securing children 2-4 in their back seat harnesses? Ehhh. I've had people who decided they want the spot I'm vacating, but have managed to stop so close to stake their claim that I can't loving pull out.

My sis and I were kids at an outdoor mall with our parents (14 and 10 years old). We got bored and cold and went to wait in the car while the folks paid, got in the back, and started the engine to keep warm. Lights off, no adults, no one in the front seats. Someone stopped behind us for at least five minutes "claiming" our spot while we waited for the folks to show up before getting annoyed and leaving. It was a pretty poo poo spot at the very back of the parking lot, too.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
If the lot isn't full, and someone stakes a claim to the spot I'm in when they see me get in my car (causing a ruckus in the lot by blocking traffic to do so), I'll put the car back in park and just wait. I don't care about having a close spot, but sometimes I'll get lucky and get one by chance, and people will go apeshit trying to get it when I'm leaving the store. Like, I'll have spot one (non-handicapped), and spots three and four will be open, but they'll drive right past spot three to try and wait for me to back out. The more ridiculous, the longer I'll wait. Besides, it's not safe backing out when there are cars bearing down on your rear end behind you.

I'm the person you share the road with.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008

Geirskogul posted:

If the lot isn't full, and someone stakes a claim to the spot I'm in when they see me get in my car (causing a ruckus in the lot by blocking traffic to do so), I'll put the car back in park and just wait. I don't care about having a close spot, but sometimes I'll get lucky and get one by chance, and people will go apeshit trying to get it when I'm leaving the store. Like, I'll have spot one (non-handicapped), and spots three and four will be open, but they'll drive right past spot three to try and wait for me to back out. The more ridiculous, the longer I'll wait. Besides, it's not safe backing out when there are cars bearing down on your rear end behind you.

I'm the person you share the road with.

This is a snotty thing to do, but I'll admit I do it too. It's especially bad on the bike because I start the engine before putting on my ATGATT gear, and it can take a minute or two to get everything secure.

I've had people try to divebomb into the spot with me still in it, either because they didn't see the big red motorcycle with the guy standing right next to it, or they thought they could push me out of the spot with their mind or something.