Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

OneThousandMonkeys posted:

Please everyone continue to regale us with tales about how D&D really is the worst, you see.

This but unironically.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

This but unironically.

I want more 'they accidentally let you had infinite attacks' stories.

Nihnoz
Aug 24, 2009

ararararararararararara

01011001 posted:

chaos hero. which is a way of saying he is dumb and wrong for the most part

Chaos reigns. Hail satan.

LSTB
Nov 13, 2000

Go ask Malice

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world
hail and well met, fellow citizen of chaos nation. have a chaotic day

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
all we need is a forums game of RIFTS

klapman
Aug 27, 2012

this char is good
just saying, i'd play the gently caress out of a shin megami tensei tabletop game

roll a d20 to see if the demon has all the skills you wanted, if 19 you roll to see if you accidentally back out, 20 and you dont waste like 30 minutes of your time, trumpeter you piece of trash

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

corn in the bible posted:

all we need is a forums game of RIFTS

ryuujin is doing one iirc

Dec 26, 2012

Nihnoz posted:

Chaos reigns. Hail satan.

satan is law iirc

Rasamune
Jan 19, 2011

MORT
MORT
MORT

klapman posted:

just saying, i'd play the gently caress out of a shin megami tensei tabletop game

roll a d20 to see if the demon has all the skills you wanted, if 19 you roll to see if you accidentally back out, 20 and you dont waste like 30 minutes of your time, trumpeter you piece of trash

In Persona 4 they just let you pick the skills you want to inherit and it's a much better (and much more breakable) game for it

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Rasamune posted:

In Persona 4 they just let you pick the skills you want to inherit and it's a much better (and much more breakable) game for it

Only the Vita version.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Dr Pepper posted:

Only the Vita version.

SMT IV let you do it too so I wouldn't be shocked to see it happen in any new SMT branded games.

Nihnoz
Aug 24, 2009

ararararararararararara

01011001 posted:

satan is law iirc

that's bullshit because the exact most important trait about satan is that he's a rebel against the infinite love of God.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Nihnoz posted:

that's bullshit because the exact most important trait about satan is that he's a rebel against the infinite love of God.

No that's Lucifer. Lucifer is the rebelling angel, ha-Satan's 'the adversary' and isn't really evil so much as he's a narrative force who questions God just so God can show us how cool he is so we worship him. Dude's a total Yes-man for YHVH. For Example See: The Trial of Job.

EDIT: VVVVVV Well I mean, ha-Satan as a concept/character existed well before Lucifer and the idea of the Fallen Angel. Lucifer is a mostly a borrowed concept from Canaanite mythology iirc. Could be Babylonian.

ZenMasterBullshit fucked around with this message at 20:23 on Apr 5, 2014

Dec 26, 2012

lucifer and satan are separate, and enemies. SMT gets a little weird in spots

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

01011001 posted:

lucifer and satan are separate, and enemies. SMT gets a little weird in spots

to be fair they were supposed to be separate on the bible too. satan was supposed to be the rear end in a top hat who does the dirty job (such as... dirtying Job and wrecking his life) for god while lucifer is the rebel angel

Gerund
Sep 12, 2007

He push a man

Plutonis posted:

to be fair they were supposed to be separate on the bible too. satan was supposed to be the rear end in a top hat who does the dirty job (such as... dirtying Job and wrecking his life) for god while lucifer is the rebel angel

Wait just to check is the Serpent in the Garden of Eden a representation of ha-Satan, Lucifer, or neither? Or both, somehow? My knowledge-base of comparative abrahamic religion is trivial at best.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Gerund posted:

Wait just to check is the Serpent in the Garden of Eden a representation of ha-Satan, Lucifer, or neither? Or both, somehow? My knowledge-base of comparative abrahamic religion is trivial at best.

Neither! ha-Satan isn't mentioned until the Book of Job and Lucifer doesn't appear until much much later (Isaiah, I think). The snake in genesis is just The Serpent.

Dec 26, 2012

Plutonis posted:

i genuinely did not know this. cool thanks

Gerund
Sep 12, 2007

He push a man

Well drat, you might as well call them the Old World of Testaments because they develop more one-off all-powerful NPCs than vampire ever did.

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

Neither! ha-Satan isn't mentioned until the Book of Job and Lucifer doesn't appear until much much later (Isaiah, I think). The snake in genesis is just The Serpent.

Lucifer is extra-biblical and based off of a mistranslation of Isaiah combined with a philosophical shift about the problem of evil. The closest equivalent is the dragon in the Revelation of John.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Gerund posted:

Well drat, you might as well call them the Old World of Testaments because they develop more one-off all-powerful NPCs than vampire ever did.

but Lilith and Cain from the old testament are on oWoD???!?!?!?

Forums Barber
Jan 5, 2011
my awkward teenage fumblings towards the bra strap of roleplaying were with the HERO system, so it holds a warm place in my heart despite being dry flavorless stale bread of a system.

Dec 26, 2012

Forums Barber posted:

awkward teenage fumblings towards the bra strap of roleplaying

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Forums Barber posted:

awkward teenage fumblings towards the bra strap of roleplaying

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

new thread title

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
my first roleplaying experience was dnd4e and i liked it because its good

stoutfish
Oct 8, 2012

by zen death robot

corn in the bible posted:

my first roleplaying experience was dnd4e and i liked it because its good

nope

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

...the person who says honestly that he despairs is closer to being cured than all those who are not regarded as despairing by themselves or others.
rpgs suck

klapman
Aug 27, 2012

this char is good
what is a game? a miserable pile of systems

Gerund
Sep 12, 2007

He push a man

I use system-less roleplay with my friends all the time. We get drunk as gently caress and then pretend to be annoying assholes until the bar closes.

LSTB
Nov 13, 2000

Is there a good padded sumo RPG that isn't 4e, 13th Age, Legend, Sacred BBQ, or Dungeon World?

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013
I wish they would update Planescape.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world
we did it, vox. we're in the OP of the world of darkness thread, finally taking our places alongside etherwind

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

...the person who says honestly that he despairs is closer to being cured than all those who are not regarded as despairing by themselves or others.

Ferrinus posted:

we did it, vox. we're in the OP of the world of darkness thread, finally taking our places alongside etherwind

to be fair we all owe a debt to his xp chargen

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

i hope you end like etherwind too!!!

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

adrift in a wind immaculate and unseen, unseen is the operative word here, for eleven-odd years

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

01011001 posted:

satan is law iirc

In nocturne satan is a) two people and b) a fourth (fifth?) choice which ends the progression of universes and drowns all things in darkness as your character leads all demons in existence to march in war on The Creator, aka the greatest ending in video rpg history besides the chrono trigger one where Luca and marle Check Out Dudes

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

More analog RPGs should have endings imo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

everyone please, please revere and serve god

• Locked thread