Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

rcman50166
Mar 23, 2010

by XyloJW
I am sad, sad no one participated in the mod challenge.

:sigh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

rcman50166 posted:

I am sad, sad no one participated in the mod challenge.

:sigh:

I am, however, pleased to announce that after some deliberation, your submission qualifies as "bitchin." I'll PM you at some point for good times.

Until the end of the weekend, poo poo's still open, with Fabulous Prizes going to people who submit something awesome.

PushingKingston
Feb 25, 2005

What a BEARtiful face I have found in this place that is circling all round the sun.
Some new things with people in them:

maxmars
Nov 20, 2006

Ad bestias!
Yet Another Dad Shot. I tried a "rough" theme: grain, beach in winter, pretty casual clothing.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Dorkroom Short Fiction Champion 2012

Young Orc

maxmars posted:

Yet Another Dad Shot. I tried a "rough" theme: grain, beach in winter, pretty casual clothing.

No offense to the other child havers but that's probably one of the best "dad shots" I have seen in a while.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you
Did some more shooting with my wife. I gotta find someone else who is willing to let me photograph them haha

IMG_3072 by kschruder, on Flickr

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Don't shoot in bright cloudless sunlight.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

evil_bunnY posted:

Don't shoot in bright cloudless sunlight.

Or have someone else hold a big-assed diffuser if you do. :V

Cru Jones
Mar 28, 2007

Cowering behind a shield of hope and Obamanium

mediaphage posted:

Or have someone else hold a big-assed diffuser if you do. :V

Or just stand in the shade. If there's a building, there's a shadow to stand in.

It's not the sunlight, it's her squinting, squared up into the camera with a harsh side light that does it for me.

Yeah, bright sunlight may not be the easiest thing to shoot with but you can make it work for you. I absolutely suck at posing, but I think getting her in a different position and a different angle of light would have made a world of difference.

Edit:
Here's one of my lame attempts, my sister standard senior portrait stuff in direct sun up against a brick wall.

Cru Jones fucked around with this message at 20:48 on Mar 24, 2014

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I got no love for you
Thanks for the feedback! I'll keep on working on it

an AOL chatroom
Oct 3, 2002

Cru Jones posted:

Or just stand in the shade. If there's a building, there's a shadow to stand in.

It's not the sunlight, it's her squinting, squared up into the camera with a harsh side light that does it for me.

Yeah, bright sunlight may not be the easiest thing to shoot with but you can make it work for you. I absolutely suck at posing, but I think getting her in a different position and a different angle of light would have made a world of difference.

Edit:
Here's one of my lame attempts, my sister standard senior portrait stuff in direct sun up against a brick wall.

http://neilvn.com/tangents/photographing-in-bright-sunlight-find-the-shade/ has a couple good suggestions.

Just a couple of suggestions on your shot, I'd take down the skin-smoothing/ eye-sharpening/ teeth-whitening just a tad. Maybe feather the skin smoothing a little bit around where you'd expect to see shadows and dimension, and not run it right up to the edges. The whole right side of her face (her left) has this hard-stop line that's really jarring to me. There's also a lack of definition on her upper lip, and I'm not sure if that's just how it is, or because of the skin smoothing, but some added definition there might help. One other nit, I can't help but think that her hand looks just a *tad* high, and might look more natural an inch or two lower.

Duckjob
Aug 22, 2003
Pack 'n Save has everyday low prices
Did a quick shoot with my triplet nieces

Teamwork by capacity4action, on Flickr

Duckjob fucked around with this message at 09:30 on Mar 25, 2014

maxmars
Nov 20, 2006

Ad bestias!

8th-snype posted:

No offense to the other child havers but that's probably one of the best "dad shots" I have seen in a while.

Thank you. Actually this thread has spurred me to try and make better pictures of loved ones so thank you all indeed.

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

Some casual portraits of friends.

The Girl Who Eats by alkanphel, on Flickr

Lao Hero by alkanphel, on Flickr

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

Duckjob posted:

This is super adorable. But is that a 400/2.8 they're wielding? :eyepop:

Leviathor
Mar 1, 2002

big scary monsters posted:

This is super adorable. But is that a 400/2.8 they're wielding? :eyepop:

Probably a 300. The 400 would crush them if it fell, and make the meteor over Russia look like a non-event.

(Also lacks other visual cues of the 400, like the split focusing ring (v1) or contoured focusing ring (v2). And being the size of a truck.)

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I got no love for you

Duckjob posted:

This photo is awesome, I love it haha

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

Duckjob posted:

This is really delightful.

Bud
Oct 5, 2002

Quite Polite Like Walter Cronkite

mediaphage posted:

This is really delightful.

Nthing! The seriousness of the "shooter" just puts it over the top.

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Dad shots:

I've had a hard time with the exposure on this. Here her hair is blown out a touch, darker and their faces are dim. Not sure which I prefer.

IS, flash, low shutter speed, and panning did some weird things.

And the age-old wisdom: Attractive people at sunset make nice pictures.

Huxley fucked around with this message at 15:49 on Mar 26, 2014

mclifford82
Jan 27, 2009

Bump the Barnacle!

Duckjob posted:

Just echoing others sentiments on this shot, it's super adorable and interesting.

Putrid Grin
Sep 16, 2007

Darn right it is.

I actually took a picture of person recently, but its not as exciting as that.

PushingKingston
Feb 25, 2005

What a BEARtiful face I have found in this place that is circling all round the sun.

CarrotFlowers
Dec 17, 2010

Blerg.

A COMPUTER GUY
Aug 23, 2007

I can't spare this man - he fights.

Congrats on getting do a photo shoot with Skrillex

thetzar
Apr 22, 2001
Fallen Rib

I like what you're trying to go for here, but if you're going to reduce her to an outline, I wish it were a more interesting/defined outline.

Did you, by the chance, just read this blog post on Inspired Eye? The author there goes for a very similar treatment, and I just saw it drift across my reader this morning.

ZombieGravy
Feb 5, 2008

I'm pretty new to photography and was hoping I could get some advice on lighting.

I'm shooting two female friends in a couple of weeks, a kind of fun and silly multi with lots of bright colours. I'm used to shooting with natural light but it's a no go with this so I'm going to have to get my lights out.

I've got three brolly lights (cheep continuous lighting but the bulbs are pretty decent) with two white shoot through umbrellas, one silver reflective umbrella and a bunch of reflectors. The kind of look I want is soft, even lighting with no harsh shadows, I'm just not entirely sure how to achieve it. Any tips on set ups would be awesome :)

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

rocketpig posted:

I'm pretty new to photography and was hoping I could get some advice on lighting.

I'm shooting two female friends in a couple of weeks, a kind of fun and silly multi with lots of bright colours. I'm used to shooting with natural light but it's a no go with this so I'm going to have to get my lights out.

I've got three brolly lights (cheep continuous lighting but the bulbs are pretty decent) with two white shoot through umbrellas, one silver reflective umbrella and a bunch of reflectors. The kind of look I want is soft, even lighting with no harsh shadows, I'm just not entirely sure how to achieve it. Any tips on set ups would be awesome :)

With female models, pretty much the sure-fire approach to making them look awesome is clamshell lighting. One (large) umbrella from 45 degrees above, a smaller umbrella (at 1/2 power or so from the main light) from the bottom at about 45 degrees, try to shoot through the gap between umbrellas.

Continuous lights are rear end but you can at least learn the general concepts.

EDIT: Like this, sorta.

SoundMonkey fucked around with this message at 06:28 on Apr 1, 2014

Chekans 3 16
Jan 2, 2012

No Resetti.
No Continues.

Grimey Drawer
Portrait assignment for this week was standard head shots. I think I missed focus a bit on the 2nd one, and how much of a problem is the background of the 3rd? I don't know how much of an issue that path is, wish I would have caught it when I was shooting. :(

ZombieGravy
Feb 5, 2008

SoundMonkey posted:

With female models, pretty much the sure-fire approach to making them look awesome is clamshell lighting. One (large) umbrella from 45 degrees above, a smaller umbrella (at 1/2 power or so from the main light) from the bottom at about 45 degrees, try to shoot through the gap between umbrellas.

Continuous lights are rear end but you can at least learn the general concepts.

EDIT: Like this, sorta.

Thanks, this is really helpful. I'll have to have a play and see how things turn out :)

LargeHadron
May 19, 2009

They say, "you mean it's just sounds?" thinking that for something to just be a sound is to be useless, whereas I love sounds just as they are, and I have no need for them to be anything more than what they are.

I know this is from forever and a day ago, but I just happened to stumble across this shot while researching the new music scene in San Francisco. I remembered his face from this thread. Small world.

http://www.ryanbrownmusic.com/Ryan_Brown__Events.html

TheAngryDrunk
Jan 31, 2003

"I don't know why I know that; I took four years of Spanish."

rio
Mar 20, 2008

LargeHadron posted:

I know this is from forever and a day ago, but I just happened to stumble across this shot while researching the new music scene in San Francisco. I remembered his face from this thread. Small world.

http://www.ryanbrownmusic.com/Ryan_Brown__Events.html

Ha - didn't expect to see this here since it was so long ago. I met his wife (Kate Campbell, great new music pianist) when she started teaching at the conservatory I teach at and met him shortly after; they were out here in NJ while he worked on his combined maters/doctorate at Princeton. I needed practice doing those kinds of head shots so we went around town and he bought me beer as payment. What was particularly neat was seeing that on the NY Phil page among the other head shots (although I had re-edited it since as I wasn't thrilled with this initial edit).

It was also when I learned to be more careful about what images to show to people, because this was my least favorite picture I took that day - it was kind of an afterthought, and I was playing around with an old Vivitar 35mm f2 since there was a busy road behind us and I had to be close. He ended up liking it the best, though, because of the background or something so I had to try to make it work. I think it if it were a client and not a friend I might have been more careful about my selections and not just had him look at everything I got that day, but still a lesson learned.

TheAngryDrunk
Jan 31, 2003

red19fire
May 26, 2010

I love these. How are you getting that kind of glowing, washed-out look? I see it a lot with west coast photographers.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.
Looks like a film burn composited on top of the image?

CarrotFlowers
Dec 17, 2010

Blerg.

I think she missed her lips with the lipstick...

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?

CarrotFlowers posted:

She must have just been drinking a lot of Kool-Aid

TheAngryDrunk
Jan 31, 2003

red19fire posted:

I love these. How are you getting that kind of glowing, washed-out look? I see it a lot with west coast photographers.

Thanks! I think you're referring to the light leaks. There's a lot of way to do them. You can create them by hand or use presets. These were created using AlienSkin Exposure 5.

CarrotFlowers posted:

Good eye!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chill Callahan
Nov 14, 2012

Spring breeeaaaaak