Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sekkira
Apr 11, 2008

I Don't Get It,
I Don't Get It,

Boop can type. Not coherently. She can also close windows and scroll down, interrupting everything I'm doing by hopping down from something directly onto the keys. Managing to hit the worst possible combination of keys every time. And then sits on it and attacks my fingers while I'm trying to type.

What I'm saying is that Boop is a huge nuisance when I take her out of the cage.

She still gets hugs, scratches and treats, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MikeRabsitch
Aug 23, 2004

Show us what you got, what you got
I get pretty pumped when my bird shirt is pooped on rather than my carpet.

I get less pumped when Keats hops onto the Window key while I'm playing Diablo in hardcore mode, he gives no fucks about permadeath.

seigfox
Dec 2, 2005

Just an average guy who serves as an average hero.
Does anyone have any recommendations for a good harness for a cockatiel? I'd like to take Pete outside once the weather gets suitably warm, and it would be good to have one that is comfy for him and easy to use for me.

On a related note... any good resources on introducing and training birds to wear them? :)

Jinxie Monroe
Apr 9, 2007

No really.
Thank you.
Cilantro has decided that his spring time behavior change is playing along with potty training. I'm waiting to see what the flip side will be, but until then I'm happy to keep stuffing his beak with treats and singing his praises all day long if he keeps pooping on his stuff instead of mine. A year of no progress and suddenly he's perfectly potty trained.

Shark Sandwich
Sep 6, 2010

by R. Guyovich
Apparently beaks work with capacitive touch screens. Anaïs figured this out and can scroll through Awful.app. Normally she just scrolls to the bottom and angrily pecks the post button.

Karma Comedian
Feb 2, 2012

Slaughterhouse-Ive posted:

Apparently beaks work with capacitive touch screens. Anaïs figured this out and can scroll through Awful.app. Normally she just scrolls to the bottom and angrily pecks the post button.

I have some art Mickey drew on my whiteboard app when he figured that out. :unsmith:

Let her post, she obviously really wants to.

Battle Pigeon
Nov 7, 2011

I am dancing potato
give me millet

seigfox posted:

Does anyone have any recommendations for a good harness for a cockatiel? I'd like to take Pete outside once the weather gets suitably warm, and it would be good to have one that is comfy for him and easy to use for me.

On a related note... any good resources on introducing and training birds to wear them? :)

The Aviator harness, size petite. It comes with a DVD that tells you how to go about getting them used to wearing it too! http://theparrotuniversity.com/content/aviator-bird-harness

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

Speaking of birds and art, I made something for you guys. :3:

If you'd like to use it, buy yourself a new avatar and add
code:
[img]http://fi.somethingawful.com/safs/titles/e0/cf/00141500.0001.gif[/img]
to the text field. I'm going to buy it for a couple people in this thread so if you would like one and find you've been gifted one already, buy one for somebody else in the thread instead!

Karma Comedian
Feb 2, 2012

LITERALLY A BIRD posted:

code:
[timg]http://fi.somethingawful.com/safs/titles/e0/cf/00141500.0001.gif[/timg]
to the text field. I'm going to buy it for a couple people in this thread so if you would like one and find you've been gifted one already, buy one for somebody else in the thread instead!

That's awesome! Haha and I love the new Amadeus avatar

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

Thanks! :buddy: I decided I wanted an avatar that is more true to his colors, and while I was at it might as well change my gangtag, soooo

painted bird
Oct 18, 2013

by Lowtax
That's a really snazzy gangtag. :3:

We're going to a ... convention of bird breeders, I suppose?? on Saturday! Gonna talk to budgie breeders and see how soon we can have a pair. The boyfriend has already been coming up with purposefully awful names for them.

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

LITERALLY A BIRD posted:

code:

Omg you're literally the best on the internet. I will be doing this shortly!

e: you're the double best! I will buy one for someone else!

Chili
Jan 23, 2004

college kids ain't shit

Fun Shoe

LITERALLY A BIRD posted:

code:

That's awesome!

Shark Sandwich
Sep 6, 2010

by R. Guyovich
Thanks for the gang tag LAB! I saw it before I read this thread and wondered where my non-YOSPOS tag came from.

Amaya
Aug 5, 2006

Paws up!

Awesome! Thank you, darlin! I'VE GONE FULL BIRD CRAZY.

Karma Comedian
Feb 2, 2012

LABs da best :kimchi:

Have a picture! Charlie in my pocket

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

I absolutely love pocket parrots. They are my favorite pictures (particularly mindo).

Pashtu the elder tiel doesn't do pockets, but he loves sitting on my lap under the desk and taking naps. Sometimes he sleeps so that he's entirely under the desk except for the very tip of his beak, where he peeks out and watches me from time to time :3:

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007

Agent355 posted:

Pashtu the elder tiel doesn't do pockets, but he loves sitting on my lap under the desk and taking naps. Sometimes he sleeps so that he's entirely under the desk except for the very tip of his beak, where he peeks out and watches me from time to time :3:
Alexis does the same thing all the time, though I've never seen her actually sleep. She just preens, or gnaws on my jeans/rubs her face on them, or snuggles up to me and makes happy noises.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Wizard of Smart posted:

:3: Pockets are where birds should be.

uglynoodles
May 28, 2009

First of a series.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

Oh my god that's wonderful. :allears:

Karma Comedian
Feb 2, 2012

uglynoodles posted:

First of a series.

Ahahaha I love it.

Wozbo
Jul 5, 2010
Oh my god, I'm crying from laughing too hard.

Pip pip pip
Oct 24, 2010

The cutest little fascist

uglynoodles posted:

First of a series.

We expect daily updates, tia. :colbert:

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

Our lori really doesn't like scritches or being covered up, so I have taken to ambushing him while he is distracted and forcing him to cuddle. On the plus side he has sort of given up trying to run away when I bury my face in his feathers and make kissy noises. Now I just get a look like "oh this again. Hurry up and get it over with"

One day I will have a pocketbird. One day.

mikerock
Oct 29, 2005

uglynoodles posted:

First of a series.

Currently happening at our house.

uglynoodles
May 28, 2009

I don't know that I can do them daily but I'll try to do them often!
Will comix 4 Bird Crazies tag.

jadebullet
Mar 25, 2011

MY LIFE FOR YOU!
So this morning Simon knew that we were up and about and decided to chatter at us so that we would let him out about an hour early. We were doing a pretty good job of ignoring him until he proclaimed relatively loudly, "I need to poop goddamnit." So we let him out and took him to the playpen so that he could poop.

Also, he destroyed one of the perches in his cage by chewing it in half one night, ignoring the shredding toy we have hanging in the cage.

Battle Pigeon
Nov 7, 2011

I am dancing potato
give me millet

Oh hey what's this under my avatar

LITERALLY A BIRD posted:

code:

You bought my one? Thank you :3:

Opera Bitch
Sep 28, 2004

Let me lull you to sleep with my sweet song!

I work in an elementary school and today was the annual duck race fundraiser so I decided to bring Baby with me. People there were amazed by how mellow he was and by the fact that bird harnesses exist. Naturally the kids asked if he bit so I told them how loving he was and let those who were interested pet him. Baby seemed to enjoy being outside as kept looking around and tweeted occasionally. No one tried to touch him without permission but as my husband and I were leaving an elderly woman came up to me and held me by my shoulders saying how precious Baby was while leaning towards him. I was too thrown off by her sudden approach to react, and I had no idea if she might be related to someone I knew so I just leaned away from her and responded in a way to end the conversation. All I could think is "if Baby bites her for getting in his face I'm not chastising him." Thankfully nothing happened and we went our merry way. I am so proud of his behavior!

Lenswork
Mar 27, 2010

Opera Bitch posted:

I work in an elementary school and today was the annual duck race fundraiser so I decided to bring Baby with me. People there were amazed by how mellow he was and by the fact that bird harnesses exist. Naturally the kids asked if he bit so I told them how loving he was and let those who were interested pet him. Baby seemed to enjoy being outside as kept looking around and tweeted occasionally. No one tried to touch him without permission but as my husband and I were leaving an elderly woman came up to me and held me by my shoulders saying how precious Baby was while leaning towards him. I was too thrown off by her sudden approach to react, and I had no idea if she might be related to someone I knew so I just leaned away from her and responded in a way to end the conversation. All I could think is "if Baby bites her for getting in his face I'm not chastising him." Thankfully nothing happened and we went our merry way. I am so proud of his behavior!

I hear you when it comes to strangers and birds in public. Most people are respectful and kind, but every now and then I'll run into people who are fortunate my bird isn't the type to bite first and ask questions later. I live in a very dog-centric city so you think most adults would know better...

I'm glad to hear you had a great experience taking Baby out, I'm sure he had a great time being out with you! I also bet he came back and slept for the rest of the day.

Chili
Jan 23, 2004

college kids ain't shit

Fun Shoe
Look at what my girlfriend made for my birthday!!!!

Kima:

Bubbles:

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007
Those are fantastic.

WorldWarWonderful
Jul 15, 2004
Eh?
How do you guys get your birds into pockets. I think I have the least adventurous birds on the planet. They won't even leave the room, they'll literally walk around and walk right up to the doorway and stop as if there's a forcefield there.

Staryberry
Oct 16, 2009

Chili posted:

Look at what my girlfriend made for my birthday!!!!

Kima:

Bubbles:

Nice! What do all the words say?

Karma Comedian
Feb 2, 2012

WorldWarWonderful posted:

How do you guys get your birds into pockets. I think I have the least adventurous birds on the planet. They won't even leave the room, they'll literally walk around and walk right up to the doorway and stop as if there's a forcefield there.

I pick Charlie up in my hand, and then put my hand in my pocket. :shrug: He loves it.

CrazyLittle
Sep 11, 2001

Clapping Larry

Staryberry posted:

Ring-ding-ding-ding-dingeringeding!

(those paintings are awesome)

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

WorldWarWonderful posted:

As a guy with a bird in my pocket right this moment, he climbed in there. I can also "help" him into there semi against his will. To get him to go in on his own I hold the pocket open and he "rearranges" it for a minute or two. He grabs the inner pocket, pulls it out, shakes it violently, grabbing more and more of it as he goes along. Eventually he has a whole beak full and wants it dead.

After a minute he looks inside and makes his chattering "I'm burrowing" noise, then eventually just leaps in head first. Shuffle shuffle shuffle and out pops the toucan head. I have no idea how he does it.

Edit: They do this in the wild as well.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/kilroyphotos/4627719601/

H110Hawk fucked around with this message at 04:42 on Apr 6, 2014

Chili
Jan 23, 2004

college kids ain't shit

Fun Shoe

Staryberry posted:

Heh, a lot of people ask about the words. They're just scrapbook pages that she found, don't say anything meaningful, she just thought they'd look cool.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EVIL Gibson
Mar 23, 2001

Internet of Things is just someone else's computer that people can't help attaching cameras and door locks to!
:vapes:
Switchblade Switcharoo

Wizard of Smart posted:

LABs da best :kimchi:

This is why I love senegals.