Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

monster on a stick posted:

I just got the Khan of Khans message. I'm Alba (Irish culture), the Seljuks/Persians are going to be minor speed bumps for the Hordes, so I will have to take them on. Last time I had Cataphracts which did well, I'm not so sure about Gallowglass.

So what's a strategy to prep for the war and fight them?

Alba? You're as far away from them as possible, so I wouldn't worry about them much. They generally peter out just east of Hungary.

If you want to try and fight them right off the bat then get 100,000 in retinues. Seriously.

By the time you actually have to fight them, their doom stacks should be a lot smaller. Eventually they often get riven by faction rebellions and peasant/religious uprisings.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thrasophius
Oct 27, 2013

Torrannor posted:

Is it still drifting into Turkestan though? It may say "22 years until duchy X becomes part of Turkestan", but this doesn't have to be true. If a title no longer drifts the accumulated years reduce by 2 each year. Compare the de jure map mode on 12/31 and 01/01.

Oh I see I assumed once it was drifting it continued to do so. It had drifted by about 20 years before I switched my primary so it probably has to drift back thanks for the info.

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.

Cantorsdust posted:

This is exactly the reason why I suggested in the main Paradox thread that they implement something like Bethesda's .esp files, which just are a list of differences from the master rather than the complete file. You need something that can say "add this barony title" without overwriting everything else. This would either require a modmanager program that can make edits to the text files right before the game loads them, or a new way managing game data.

The weirdest thing is that I remember they claimed to do something like this (defining mods to landed_titles as differences rather than the complete file) in a really unclear patch note a few patches back, but they never bothered to explain how it worked and nobody ever figured it out.

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

Tsyni posted:

Alba? You're as far away from them as possible, so I wouldn't worry about them much. They generally peter out just east of Hungary.

If you want to try and fight them right off the bat then get 100,000 in retinues. Seriously.

By the time you actually have to fight them, their doom stacks should be a lot smaller. Eventually they often get riven by faction rebellions and peasant/religious uprisings.

Except

Should I start building other kinds of retinues, like cavalry, or stick with the Gallowglass?

Also - kind of off-topic to this - I've vassalized the holy orders but one is shown as being 'under contract' to a baron. For a long time - this baron is now ~5K in the red, and for whatever reason they aren't letting the HO go. The baron is one of my direct vassals. Is there a way to force him to give up the HO (since I may need it)?

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Except

Should I start building other kinds of retinues, like cavalry, or stick with the Gallowglass?

Also - kind of off-topic to this - I've vassalized the holy orders but one is shown as being 'under contract' to a baron. For a long time - this baron is now ~5K in the red, and for whatever reason they aren't letting the HO go. The baron is one of my direct vassals. Is there a way to force him to give up the HO (since I may need it)?

Assuming you aren't playing ironman, you could give the baron a county so he's playable and switch over to him and dismiss them.

Viscardus
Jun 1, 2011

Thus equipped by fortune, physique, and character, he was naturally indomitable, and subordinate to no one in the world.

Somehow I think you'll manage.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

Dallan Invictus posted:

The weirdest thing is that I remember they claimed to do something like this (defining mods to landed_titles as differences rather than the complete file) in a really unclear patch note a few patches back, but they never bothered to explain how it worked and nobody ever figured it out.

paradox_mod_support.txt :v:

Except

:stare:

Okay, I think I've got a strategy for you. Bit tricky to pull off, but should be doable:

1. Go to military screen, raise all levies
2. Zoom all the way out
3. Drag select the entire map
4. Point your Infinite Murder Machine in the general direction of the East
5. Bunk off down the pub for a pint

Seriously though, you must have levies going on half a million, no?

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

"haha, dogs can't smoke!"

Except

murder him and his entire family? I don't know if it will work but it couldn't hurt.

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf
I'm still rocking an old pre-Sons of Abraham version of CK2+. Have all the kinks from the newest DLC been ironed out in both the base game and in CK2+ to the point where I should update and join the future of India?

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

When will Medieval society accept the apparently taboo relationship between a man and his wife?

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

Except

Ok, awesome! They shouldn't be a problem for you. You should have enough troops to deal with them fairly easily. I usually fight horse archers with horse archers, but since that isn't an option for you I am not totally certain. Heavy infantry can get the shield wall tactic which should be very good against the Mongols.

My advice to you is to get all your retinues in place at the edge of your borders. I usually wait for them to attack me, but you have to be very careful because they can siege down provinces so quickly that you can lose the war before your troops get in place to defend. My last game I had less land than you (No Iberia, no Albion) but I did have everything east, and I defeated them as soon as they attacked. Granted, my retinues were down to the single thousands by the end of it.

You might consider attacking them while they are busy fighting the Persians, which will give you time to get all your levies into place. It takes a bit of organizing, since they don't get attrition on their 100k stacks, and you do, but with the amount of troops you have it shouldn't be a huge deal.

Techno Remix
Feb 13, 2012

I've seriously almost got this game down. I'm sinking massive amounts of time into it and actually getting the hang of building some stable stuff in the start.

My question is now about what determines who controls a county after I win the war for it. Just doing a short experiment, I started as the Count of Capua in Italy. Easily conquered Neapolis to form the Duchy of Capua. I set my sights on the Duchy of Benevento to the northwest (forging a claim for it via my chancellor) and after a long fight ended up winning it. The two counties now belong to my Duchy of Capua but I don't have direct demesne control over the provinces themselves. One is held by some random guy and the other is held by the old Duke (now my Count). I don't have the option to flat out revoke his title because it's telling me that I have to have a special reason in time of peace. I can't plot to revoke it for some reason and I can't consolidate the Duchy of Benevento under one person for whatever reason.

Maybe there's some mechanic I'm missing. I'm probably not explaining it well but does that sound about right? How can I go about putting those counties under my direct control?

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

Techno Remix posted:

I've seriously almost got this game down. I'm sinking massive amounts of time into it and actually getting the hang of building some stable stuff in the start.

My question is now about what determines who controls a county after I win the war for it. Just doing a short experiment, I started as the Count of Capua in Italy. Easily conquered Neapolis to form the Duchy of Capua. I set my sights on the Duchy of Benevento to the northwest (forging a claim for it via my chancellor) and after a long fight ended up winning it. The two counties now belong to my Duchy of Capua but I don't have direct demesne control over the provinces themselves. One is held by some random guy and the other is held by the old Duke (now my Count). I don't have the option to flat out revoke his title because it's telling me that I have to have a special reason in time of peace. I can't plot to revoke it for some reason and I can't consolidate the Duchy of Benevento under one person for whatever reason.

Maybe there's some mechanic I'm missing. I'm probably not explaining it well but does that sound about right? How can I go about putting those counties under my direct control?

If you want to take counties directly in a claim war then you need a claim on the county itself. A claim on the Duchy title is just a claim on the Duchy title, and, as you have learnt, that doesn't actually come with any land attached, just the strong suggestion that the people holding the land listen to you.

Fortunately, I think you can still use your chancellor to forge claims on provinces within your realm. Might piss your vassals off, I'm not sure- it's not something I've ever done, that I remember.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

You can plot to revoke counties within a duchy you own, but I think it might need to be in your primary duchy.

RonJeremysBalzac
Jul 29, 2004
Why am I not able to request a crusade against the ilkhanate? I can do it against other infidels just fine, but the option is greyed out for the ilkhante even though every condition is met.

Allyn
Sep 4, 2007

I love Charlie from Busted!

marktheando posted:

You can plot to revoke counties within a duchy you own, but I think it might need to be in your primary duchy.

Yeah it's only for counties within the de jure duchy your capital is in (regardless of whether you own the actual duchy title in question, or is your primary one if you own multiple).

Thrasophius
Oct 27, 2013

RonJeremysBalzac posted:

Why am I not able to request a crusade against the ilkhanate? I can do it against other infidels just fine, but the option is greyed out for the ilkhante even though every condition is met.

Are the ilkhanet actually landed by this point? As in they aren't a horde because you can't crusade for land if they have no land to begin with.

RonJeremysBalzac
Jul 29, 2004

Thrasophius posted:

Are the ilkhanet actually landed by this point? As in they aren't a horde because you can't crusade for land if they have no land to begin with.

They're definately landed. They just lost an independence revolt to Persian machineans which split their realm in half.

RonJeremysBalzac fucked around with this message at 00:16 on Apr 6, 2014

Techno Remix
Feb 13, 2012

Autonomous Monster posted:

If you want to take counties directly in a claim war then you need a claim on the county itself. A claim on the Duchy title is just a claim on the Duchy title, and, as you have learnt, that doesn't actually come with any land attached, just the strong suggestion that the people holding the land listen to you.

Fortunately, I think you can still use your chancellor to forge claims on provinces within your realm. Might piss your vassals off, I'm not sure- it's not something I've ever done, that I remember.

Now that you mention it, I remember that Benevento is both a county and a duchy. My chancellor has a huge diplomacy skill (something like 20) so it's possible he forged a ducal claim instead of just on the county and I just didn't pay attention to the pop-up. I think I might have run into the same thing on an Ireland playthrough where I owned the two counties in Munster and pressed the third through a de jure claim war. After winning the county remained under control of the local count who then became my vassal. That sounds like it could be the same thing. I couldn't plot to revoke his title even though it was in my primary (and only) duchy. My ruler was content though and I think that has something to do with it.

All this means is that I murdered my way down a family tree for nothing.

Dwarf
Oct 21, 2010
You're talking like murdering an entire dynastic line isn't a reward in and of itself.

Thrasophius
Oct 27, 2013

RonJeremysBalzac posted:

They're definately landed. They just lost an independence revolt to Persian machineans which split their realm in half.

Then I'm out of ideas I'm afraid I can't think of anything else it could be. May be worth submitting a bug report on the CK2 forums.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Tsyni posted:

Ok, awesome! They shouldn't be a problem for you. You should have enough troops to deal with them fairly easily. I usually fight horse archers with horse archers, but since that isn't an option for you I am not totally certain. Heavy infantry can get the shield wall tactic which should be very good against the Mongols.

Heavy Infantry are great against the Mongols. As Norse I managed to break the Mongols with nothing but heavy infantry retinues.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
EDIT: Never mind, figured it out.

Dick Trauma fucked around with this message at 01:38 on Apr 6, 2014

Arbitrary Coin
Feb 17, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
2nd Battalion
Wait, I thought heavy infantry were awful against the Hordes due to that one Mongol horse archer tactic that brought battle back into skirmish phase and the fact that heavy infantry are poo poo in that phase?

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice

Dick Trauma posted:

EDIT: Never mind, figured it out.

You weren't using Notepad++ were you?

Beamed
Nov 26, 2010

Then you have a responsibility that no man has ever faced. You have your fear which could become reality, and you have Godzilla, which is reality.

JGBeagle posted:

You weren't using Notepad++ were you?

Also known as the best text editor? :colbert:

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

Arbitrary Coin posted:

Wait, I thought heavy infantry were awful against the Hordes due to that one Mongol horse archer tactic that brought battle back into skirmish phase and the fact that heavy infantry are poo poo in that phase?

It's pretty luck-dependent in my experience, they do get the Shieldwall tactic for +300% (huge) defensive bonus. If you have good leaders and get good tactics rolls, you can mostly weather the Mongol horse archers in skirmish phase and make them hurt when you get to melee them. I wouldn't say Heavy Infantry are good against the Mongols, but if you have the numbers and good Martial skill leaders you can do ok.

Farecoal
Oct 15, 2011

There he go
So do Popes typically marry random courtiers, divorce them immediately, and build up a harem of unmarried women?

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire
While it sounds historically accurate for some popes yeah that sure is an interesting one.

Koryk
Jun 5, 2007
How do I embrace a heresy and convert my Kingdom to it? I just had Lollardy expand to a county in one of my duchies, but I don't control that county.

Allyn
Sep 4, 2007

I love Charlie from Busted!

Koryk posted:

How do I embrace a heresy and convert my Kingdom to it? I just had Lollardy expand to a county in one of my duchies, but I don't control that county.

Wait for it to spread further (and hope your vassal doesn't convert it back in the meantime), or else set your court chaplain to research cultural tech, which I believe has an event associated with it for him converting to a heresy and trying to convince you to join him. You can't influence which one he will convert to, however, so you'll have to choose between converting him back until he picks the right one or going with whichever he goes with.

TheBalor
Jun 18, 2001
I've been looking around, but haven't found a solution to a particular bug I've been having. Ever since I bought RoI, the 867 start has been disabled. My dreams of being Thane of Rajastan are going unfulfilled! Even after a full delete + reinstall, the problem persists. Anyone else had this?

edit: In fact, it looks like all of my DLC is broken. I can't even play as muslims.

TheBalor fucked around with this message at 05:18 on Apr 6, 2014

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

TheBalor posted:

I've been looking around, but haven't found a solution to a particular bug I've been having. Ever since I bought RoI, the 867 start has been disabled. My dreams of being Thane of Rajastan are going unfulfilled! Even after a full delete + reinstall, the problem persists. Anyone else had this?

edit: In fact, it looks like all of my DLC is broken. I can't even play as muslims.

If you're on OSX, try disabling the Steam overlay.

TheBalor
Jun 18, 2001

computer parts posted:

If you're on OSX, try disabling the Steam overlay.

Windows 8.1, unfortunately. I tried that anyway, but it still didn't work.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

Captain Beans posted:

I'm still rocking an old pre-Sons of Abraham version of CK2+. Have all the kinks from the newest DLC been ironed out in both the base game and in CK2+ to the point where I should update and join the future of India?

There's a beta patch now, and the full patch comes out early this week. Most of the major bugs should be dealt with.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
My liege allied with an adventurer to conquer Scotland, ruining my plans to put a member of my dynasty on the throne. (Also turning its name to "Alba", which I've never seen in game before.) The new king of Scotland immediately declares war on my liege to take over his lands, too. Serves you right, rear end in a top hat.

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

Tsyni posted:

My advice to you is to get all your retinues in place at the edge of your borders. I usually wait for them to attack me, but you have to be very careful because they can siege down provinces so quickly that you can lose the war before your troops get in place to defend. My last game I had less land than you (No Iberia, no Albion) but I did have everything east, and I defeated them as soon as they attacked. Granted, my retinues were down to the single thousands by the end of it.

You might consider attacking them while they are busy fighting the Persians, which will give you time to get all your levies into place. It takes a bit of organizing, since they don't get attrition on their 100k stacks, and you do, but with the amount of troops you have it shouldn't be a huge deal.

Thanks for the advice. The Ilkhanate attacked me the third time (after going after the Tahirids/Seljuks first) and were mostly worn down. I just had my forces stand on one side of the Volga and they came right across :stare: That didn't go over so well for them.

Eventually the Golden Horde wiped out Perm and the Seljuks entirely, but by that time both hordes started fighting over Khiva/Turkistan, so I got to watch both forces kill themselves and then swooped in with holy war/murder the new khan/holy war again/etc.

I actually think the Gallowglass did better against the hordes than the Cataphracts did. That and as the Cathars, you can find a make a general out of a woman with Organizer/Holy Warrior.

Wyld Karde
Mar 18, 2013

She's so ~dreamy~

My gods, it's full of win. :aaa:

Last Emperor
Oct 30, 2009

Quick question:

Playing as the Emir of Aleppo sometimes when I take a county it goes directly to me and sometimes I just become the overlord of the original lord there. What determines whether that happens? (using the same Border Conquest CB)

I've seen it happen in other places too and just wondered what determined it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Last Emperor posted:

Quick question:

Playing as the Emir of Aleppo sometimes when I take a county it goes directly to me and sometimes I just become the overlord of the original lord there. What determines whether that happens? (using the same Border Conquest CB)

I've seen it happen in other places too and just wondered what determined it.

If the province is owned by a count of your religion (Sunni I assume?) and has no holdings outside this county, you become his overlord. If the province is owned by somebody of the wrong religions, or he has holdings outside the county (a second county, or is a duke, etc.), then he relocates there and you get the province.

• Locked thread