Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SUPER HASSLER
Jan 31, 2005

Jersey posted:

us too! worked wonders. right away better poo and better skin.

I think I'll try this next time I buy a bag. I am currently using Pure Vita bison and Adam is OK with it certainly but he has occasional bad bouts of dandruff. (The dryness of the local climate doesn't help either.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ghostgirl118
Oct 15, 2013

I've seen some shit
We are just a few days shy of three weeks with Tatianna! She has officially mastered (most) stairs, and will go up and down them to find us if we leave her alone too much. She has shown no incredible attachment to schedules and routine, which is great, because we lead somewhat strangely timed lives. She's eating well, anywhere we feed her, she's learning what kongs are, and loves everything that squeaks. I call her Musclebutt every time she stretches, because her legs and thighs are so huge, and they aren't going to get smaller anytime soon if she keeps eating the way she does. :allears:

But we're looking to start training soon. She doesn't have any issues at all, I would just like to see her do cool things. So do any of you guys have tricks you started with on greyhounds? I would normally start with sit for any other dog, but I know greyhounds don't like sitting as much as other dogs do. And do you have any treats your hounds go crazy for?

And I haven't seen any pictures lately, not to call anyone out specifically. :colbert:

various cheeses
Jan 24, 2013

I've noticed Lana only likes her toys that squeak too. Do they train greyhounds with squeaky toys or what?

slap me silly
Nov 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer
Mine does fine with sit, but down and stay are also really useful. And of course "wait over there until I tell you you can go to the food bowl". As for fun stuff, spin around in a circle was pretty easy. "Go bang your nose into <thing>" too. Shake hands was really loving hard for some reason.

SUPER HASSLER
Jan 31, 2005

ghostgirl118 posted:

And I haven't seen any pictures lately, not to call anyone out specifically. :colbert:

Ok

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Abby is in the blue coat

Only registered members can see post attachments!

RazorBunny
May 23, 2007

Sometimes I feel like this.

Yay, Sunday is pick-up day! I foolishly volunteered to make the drive out to West Virginia early in the morning to pick up dogs, bye bye sleep.

Fuzz Feets
Apr 11, 2009

Can't wait for Sunday!

Razorbunny thanks in advance for driving the precious cargo all that way. We will be getting our orientation while you are driving. I imagine it would be tempting to drive off to Mexico and abscond with the pups but think of how much food four or five of them would eat!

RazorBunny
May 23, 2007

Fuzz Feets posted:

Can't wait for Sunday!

Razorbunny thanks in advance for driving the precious cargo all that way. We will be getting our orientation while you are driving. I imagine it would be tempting to drive off to Mexico and abscond with the pups but think of how much food four or five of them would eat!

Hey, no problem! I think I'm only shuttling two myself, although my car would probably hold 3-4 comfortably. So I can't steal too many.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

RazorBunny posted:

Hey, no problem! I think I'm only shuttling two myself, although my car would probably hold 3-4 comfortably. So I can't steal too many.

And RazorBunny was never heard from again, but rescues in the Blue Mountains start hearing rumors of a shrieking demon flanked by a horde of horse-hounds, each as tall as a building and ravenous for the flesh of virgins.

Jersey
Mar 26, 2014

ghostgirl118 posted:

We are just a few days shy of three weeks with Tatianna! She has officially mastered (most) stairs, and will go up and down them to find us if we leave her alone too much. She has shown no incredible attachment to schedules and routine, which is great, because we lead somewhat strangely timed lives. She's eating well, anywhere we feed her, she's learning what kongs are, and loves everything that squeaks. I call her Musclebutt every time she stretches, because her legs and thighs are so huge, and they aren't going to get smaller anytime soon if she keeps eating the way she does. :allears:

But we're looking to start training soon. She doesn't have any issues at all, I would just like to see her do cool things. So do any of you guys have tricks you started with on greyhounds? I would normally start with sit for any other dog, but I know greyhounds don't like sitting as much as other dogs do. And do you have any treats your hounds go crazy for?

You can try sit..some of them can...lol. don't be surprised if she doesn't learn many tricks. Lay down or running to their beds for a treat might be the best you get.

gninjagnome
Apr 17, 2003

Mona love sitting for whatever reason. We didn't teach her to do it though - we left her at a friends house for a weekend, and she came back knowing how to sit by watching their dog getting treats for sitting.

Jersey
Mar 26, 2014

gninjagnome posted:

Mona love sitting for whatever reason. We didn't teach her to do it though - we left her at a friends house for a weekend, and she came back knowing how to sit by watching their dog getting treats for sitting.

Wish my dog was that smart. She just shoves her nose in front of the other dogs when they are sitting. She sits as like her default position, and when she's scared so I don't try to force her.

Kojiro
Aug 11, 2003

LET'S GET TO THE TOP!
Anyone had experience introducing a greyhound to their cats? I've read up on the preferred method of leashing the dog on the initial meeting and rewarding them for ignoring the cat/telling them off for looking interested, but I'd love to hear how its actually gone for people.
My cats are more inclined to run away from a threat rather than fight it, and I'm a bit concerned that'd spell disaster, which would be a pity since a greyhound would be a pretty great match for us otherwise.

slap me silly
Nov 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer
In addition to all that, muzzle. My greyhound completely lost interest in chasing cats in the house after that one time the cat flew up the stairs and the dog whacked his shin on the bottom step.

Lagomorphic
Apr 21, 2008

AKA: Orthonormal
When I got my greyhound I had him on a leash with his racing muzzle on. Fortunately he had no interest in chasing the cats. It was summer time so I also spent a few days out with him in an inclosed porch while we worked out house-training which also gave the cats a chance to get used to him. After he started coming in the house the cats still had about a week with the upstairs to themselves before he worked out stairs as well.

Fuzz Feets
Apr 11, 2009

Well apparently Willow approves of the crate setup;

rhoga
Jun 4, 2012

mon chou

Tess turned 4 on Tuesday. She's a little April Fool.

Casey is a regular fool.

And something from the Funny Pictures thread.

Fuzz Feets
Apr 11, 2009

Tess makes such a good dog ball (counterpart if cat loaf)!

Question: what did you all do while you were training you hounds on stairs? The only level in our house that doesn't require stairs is the basement. Should we try to carry him up until he learns or would that freak him out more?

Jersey
Mar 26, 2014

Fuzz Feets posted:

Tess makes such a good dog ball (counterpart if cat loaf)!

Question: what did you all do while you were training you hounds on stairs? The only level in our house that doesn't require stairs is the basement. Should we try to carry him up until he learns or would that freak him out more?

omg! I was almost in tears getting my parent's greyhound to go down the stairs. She went up, but going down was scary. Definitely have your leash and treats with you. Try and see if he'll go up, and then if not, try a small treat on each step. Going down may be scary, stay with him and try the treat thing. If you try this for say an hour, and still nothing, let him sleep and relax a bit. Good luck! sometimes they just get it, sometimes they need to learn.

Jersey
Mar 26, 2014
I shared photos of my galgo girl, but not of my parents' greyhound, Charlotte. I was home with her for her first two weeks, and I miss her dearly now that I no longer live nearby. She was a good racer, and now my dad has certified her to be a therapy dog to visit nursing homes and such. She has some exceptional ears. And won baldest butt at a greyhound picnic lol.

her attempt at sitting! I tried to take a photo with her on my wedding day and she went from sitting to slipping to just sprawled out on the floor lol

Thanks for letting me share :)

Lagomorphic
Apr 21, 2008

Fuzz Feets posted:

what did you all do while you were training you hounds on stairs? The only level in our house that doesn't require stairs is the basement. Should we try to carry him up until he learns or would that freak him out more?

Put the lead on him and take him to the base of the stairs then started to go up while calling him. He was reluctant to do it it at first but got the hang of it fairly quick. I took a few days before we was willing to try it on his own though.

gninjagnome
Apr 17, 2003

I'm so glad Mona's fosters taught her stairs. Ours don't have backs, and it freaks out dogs that know what to do. I can't imagine training a grey on them.

RazorBunny
May 23, 2007

Yeah, we're still working on stairs here. Fortunately ours are all short flights. She's also met one cat, and pretty much ignored him.

She's also pretty tuckered out.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Abby's reaction to cats is slightly different. My neighbor let hers into the hallway for some reason. Of course Abby was on a leash, but she did some sort of 360 spin combined with whining and heavy drool.

RazorBunny
May 23, 2007

Our rescue won't place a dog with a strong reaction like that to a house with cats, they're very careful. Of course they can't 100% know how the dog is going to react in every situation, but they do test them with a cat at the rescue kennel.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Yeah ours does too. I think the cat they use is the feline version of Chuck Norris.

RazorBunny
May 23, 2007

I wonder about that sometimes, especially when the kennel manager was describing how they put the cat on the dogs' backs and stuff to test them.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

RazorBunny posted:

I wonder about that sometimes, especially when the kennel manager was describing how they put the cat on the dogs' backs and stuff to test them.

:stare:

From what I know, our group just has a cat in the room and the dog on leash and they see if the dog ignores it or not.

Tasty_Crayon
Jul 29, 2006
Same story, different version.

RazorBunny posted:

Yeah, we're still working on stairs here. Fortunately ours are all short flights. She's also met one cat, and pretty much ignored him.

Omg that sad faaaaaace :3:

Edit: we did a 'cat test' with our late gsd and while he ignored them during his visit when he was living with us the switch flipped to 'yes these moving foods are mine'. Luckily (:smith:) it wasnt too bad because he was an old man and only around for a year or two

Tasty_Crayon fucked around with this message at 01:04 on Apr 7, 2014

pastor of muppets
Aug 21, 2007

We were somewhere around the Living Hive, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold...

RazorBunny posted:

Yay! :3: How much does she weigh? She looks tiny in your FB photos.

As far as the cats are concerned, I did what the rescue told me, which was to introduce them with the muzzle on and holding the leash. Rory sniffed at them a little, but was way more interested in exploring the house. After a while, I let her off the leash but kept the muzzle on. Eventually, I took the muzzle away altogether once I felt confident she wasn't going to eat them.

I will always crate Rory when we're not here and I can't watch her around the cats, though. This is probably overkill, but I will never trust any dog alone with the cats. Also, I always make sure they have an "out;" for example, if I have the baby gates up, I make sure they're just high enough for the cats to slip underneath if they need to get away.

pastor of muppets fucked around with this message at 12:33 on Apr 7, 2014

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Hindustan Electronics Employee of the Month, July 2008
Grimey Drawer
Our cats seem much more worried about the new addition than he is; it seems like he wants to meet them but since they're still upset about a new presence in the house we're taking it very slow. We kept them separated last night and I slept on a futon in the basement so we wouldn't have to go down two flights of stairs at 4 AM since he's still a bit hesitant.

Dude is just a big sweetheart though; very affectionate and goofy and he has already embraced having his own beds.

RazorBunny
May 23, 2007

We waited until she had explored the house a little and had flopped out before doing intros. Didn't bother with the muzzle, but I had her collar in hand and my husband was holding the cat - Vastra honestly couldn't have cared less.

She'll be crated when we're not home until we get to know her a little better. Our house has cat doors and other dog-proof escape routes, just in case.

The rescue coordinator said 55 lbs, we'll see what the vet's scale says in a week or so when I take her in for her first wellness visit.

Fuzz Feets
Apr 11, 2009

Every picture I try to take ends up blurry, but have a cute pic of Reese that is slightly blurry

RazorBunny
May 23, 2007

It's raining too hard to get photos/video, but there was romping going on earlier. Unfortunately the yard has turned to mud with the rainy weather, so there was also foot wiping that she didn't enjoy too much.

Lhet
Apr 2, 2008

bloop

Had a question about tying up greyhounds. I believe the official stance at most places is "never ever tie a greyhound to anything because they can accelerate to 40mph in 3 strides and break their neck", to prevent people from chaining their dog to a tree or pole. Does this mean it's a bad idea to tie a leash to a pole for a couple minutes now and again? It would save time to combine short store trips and walks, and there really wouldn't be enough room for much acceleration.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Lhet posted:

Had a question about tying up greyhounds. I believe the official stance at most places is "never ever tie a greyhound to anything because they can accelerate to 40mph in 3 strides and break their neck", to prevent people from chaining their dog to a tree or pole. Does this mean it's a bad idea to tie a leash to a pole for a couple minutes now and again? It would save time to combine short store trips and walks, and there really wouldn't be enough room for much acceleration.

Never use a tie-up, period. If you are ever caught doing this my adoption group will repo the animal.

Shoozy
Apr 11, 2007

actionjackson posted:

Never use a tie-up, period. If you are ever caught doing this my adoption group will repo the animal.

This is ridiculous.

Just like any dog, greyhounds each have their own temperament. While I wouldn't recommend tying up a greyhound that you hardly know for any amount of time, I think it's reasonable to allow it for a short period of time if you've had the dog for a while and know what it reacts to. Just like any other dog one may have.

slap me silly
Nov 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer
Or use a harness... let's be real, adoption groups can be pretty ridiculous. The paperwork I had to fill out was offensively invasive, not to mention condescending.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lagomorphic
Apr 21, 2008

Yeah a short lead and a harness would be plenty safe for a few minutes. I wouldn't leave any dog unattended with a martingale or choke collar tied to anything though.