Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
virtualboyCOLOR
Dec 22, 2004

DangerZoneDelux posted:

Plex will be available on the xbox one. Is xbmc?

XBMC and PLEX can run on anything that can run linux (including the $35 raspberry pi). I'm more curious about what features does PLEX offer over XBMC.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

loving :lol: if the XBox Media Center can't run on an XBox.

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

YourAverageJoe posted:

loving :lol: if the XBox Media Center can't run on an XBox.
They stopped supporting the original Xbox a long time ago. The name is more or less legacy at this point.

Delusibeta
Aug 7, 2013

Let's ride together.

virtualboyCOLOR posted:

XBMC and PLEX can run on anything that can run linux (including the $35 raspberry pi). I'm more curious about what features does PLEX offer over XBMC.

As I understand it, PLEX comes in two flavours: PLEX Media Server, which organises yer media in a similar manner to XBMC, and the PLEX client which streams stuff from a PLEX Media Server in the local network. The latter is on pretty much anything, which includes Windows 8's Metro environment, which presumably is what the Xbone version is going to be based on. I've also heard rumours that they're planning something similar on the PS4, and also the web version of the PLEX client apparently already works on PS4/Xbone, so yeah. Fair warning, I wouldn't expect PLEX to convert your Xbone (or PS4) into (any more of) a media centre (unless you already have a HTPC). It's nice for folks who already have a HTPC up and running, but outside of them it probably won't mean much.

Delusibeta fucked around with this message at 18:22 on Apr 5, 2014

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Worth noting with PLEX, if you have the upload bandwidth for it, you can stream outside of your home network across the internet. You can also officially share access to your library with others; you can basically build your own Netflix.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

If the Xbox One supported DLNA a Plex client app would be unnecessary.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Fallom posted:

The DLNA support is a bit limited with PLEX. No changing audio/subtitles, no cover art/blurbs, no support outside of your LAN...although I do agree the new consoles should support DLNA regardless.

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

HOLY gently caress. Assuming this is true (I'm tempering my excitement with the answer provided by the member of the Plex team in that thread) this will basically let me consolidate/replace about 1/3 of the crap in my entertainment center if this turns out to be good.

Fallom posted:

DLNA is better than nothing, but Plex is so much more usable and flexible that I'll take it over DLNA any day of the week.

Maneki Neko fucked around with this message at 21:20 on Apr 5, 2014

Apple2o
Mar 25, 2009

by Pragmatica

(and can't post for 9 years!)

Crafty posted:

PvZ is awesome but I traded it in to get Titanfall. Figured I probably wouldn't have time for two multiplayer shooters so i'd get some money for it while it's still relatively high. What's the new dlc like? I found the 'battlefield rush' game type quite frustrating when you're playing with pubs.

I'm gonna buy tomb raider whilst it's 30, never played it before.

They added in 3 new abilities for every character archetype. They are actually really fun, the new game mode is a little weak though. The balance is still bad, but as long as you got a fully-upgraded character it's tolerable.

Also the key to playing with pubs is to be a sniper 24/7. Hell, even when i'm with a group we are basically just turn from 'killwhoring snipers' to 'nest of killwhoring snipers'. The fact you can use boss-mode on an ipad to basically support only yourself is hysterical. Combined with a few game-breaking glitches (like using your drone to get on roofs) you can basically control the point from miles away. Spray at icons in the distance to rack up ridiculous killstreaks while also being completely impossible for pubs to uproot since you can heal / revive your entire crew remotely. It's broken as poo poo and way better than titanfall in every way (in my opinion).

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010

Apple2o posted:

They added in 3 new abilities for every character archetype. They are actually really fun, the new game mode is a little weak though. The balance is still bad, but as long as you got a fully-upgraded character it's tolerable.

Also the key to playing with pubs is to be a sniper 24/7. Hell, even when i'm with a group we are basically just turn from 'killwhoring snipers' to 'nest of killwhoring snipers'. The fact you can use boss-mode on an ipad to basically support only yourself is hysterical. Combined with a few game-breaking glitches (like using your drone to get on roofs) you can basically control the point from miles away. Spray at icons in the distance to rack up ridiculous killstreaks while also being completely impossible for pubs to uproot since you can heal / revive your entire crew remotely. It's broken as poo poo and way better than titanfall in every way (in my opinion).

Your description makes PvZ sound like a loving terrible game.

Delusibeta
Aug 7, 2013

Let's ride together.

Maneki Neko posted:

HOLY gently caress. Assuming this is true (I'm tempering my excitement with the answer provided by the member of the Plex team in that thread) this will basically let me consolidate/replace about 1/3 of the crap in my entertainment center if this turns out to be good.

Spoiler alert: Plex is already on the Roku and the Amazon Fire TV, which are substantially cheaper options if you haven't already bought an Xbone. :ssh: But yeah, considering a) Microsoft is introducing a "universal app" format for WinMetro/WinPhone/Xbone and b) Plex already has a WinMetro app, it wouldn't surprise me if they plan to move towards the universal app format.

A shrubbery!
Jan 16, 2009
I LOOK DOWN ON MY REAL LIFE FRIENDS BECAUSE OF THEIR VIDEO GAME PURCHASING DECISIONS.

I'M THAT MUCH OF AN INSUFFERABLE SPERGLORD

Saladman posted:

Some people's idea of fun is different to others. Buggy, broken messes or easy-griefing games definitely have some appeal, but from what I've read PVZ is a decent almost-TF2-like for the most part.

Bass Bottles
Jan 14, 2006

BOSS BATTLES DID NOTHING WRONG

Delusibeta posted:

Spoiler alert: Plex is already on the Roku and the Amazon Fire TV, which are substantially cheaper options if you haven't already bought an Xbone. :ssh: But yeah, considering a) Microsoft is introducing a "universal app" format for WinMetro/WinPhone/Xbone and b) Plex already has a WinMetro app, it wouldn't surprise me if they plan to move towards the universal app format.

The Xbox One Plex app is an unofficial third-party app from a member of the Plex forums.

quote:

CJPresler, absolute worst case... Plex Home Theater is an Open Source application with its code on Github and the Plex Developer Center has a lot of documentation, so it isn't exactly like I would be starting from scratch ;)

It would certainly be easier if I had the code for the Windows 8 Modern UI Client, but it is still easy enough.

I can't speak to whether any other party applied to join ID@Xbox to bring Plex to the Xbox One, but I can say that it was far from a strait forward process and required using a few back-channel contacts to finally get in touch with the right people to get the final "Okay, you're in."

I personally made it a priority after I picked up one of my own and realized just how frustrating getting something to work with PlayTo really was.

Crafty
Dec 9, 2003

I CAN'T SEE SHIT.

xbox one is the best

Saladman posted:

Pvz is pretty awesome, but I imagine if you ran into an organized team when you were rolling with pubs it would be completely horrible. But the same can be said for all games. I really don't think there are too many people out there organizing teams for pvz though. I'd have kept it if titanfall hadn't come out.

It'd be perfect for games with gold once it stops selling.

sba
Jul 9, 2001

bae
I still want to know if this thing will ever support custom soundtracks like FIFA and NHL have.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Anyone who refers to DLNA as anything but a useless turd of a standard
has clearly never used DLNA before.

Wheezle
Aug 13, 2007

420 stop boats erryday

Laserface posted:

Anyone who refers to DLNA as anything but a useless turd of a standard
has clearly never used DLNA before.

Yeah, I can't think of any situation I'd prefer to use DLNA if Plex is available.

Crafty
Dec 9, 2003

I CAN'T SEE SHIT.

xbox one is the best

sba posted:

I still want to know if this thing will ever support custom soundtracks like FIFA and NHL have.

I don't know if its exactly the same but it's just a matter of time before we can run Xbox music/Spotify in the background I reckon. Any minute now...

Delusibeta
Aug 7, 2013

Let's ride together.

Crafty posted:

I don't know if its exactly the same but it's just a matter of time before we can run Xbox music/Spotify in the background I reckon. Any minute now...

Couldn't you already run Xbox Music in the background, or does it have to be snapped?

Dr VideoGames 0.299
Feb 15, 2007

i really think you're overestimating how much
i love having dog shit smushed all over my face

Delusibeta posted:

Couldn't you already run Xbox Music in the background, or does it have to be snapped?

Yes, you can, and I do this while playing NFS Rivals, because the soundtrack on that game sucks. I stream music from my PC to the One, which plays it through XBox Music snapped or snapped. This isn't as elegant as the 360's take on custom soundtracks, which would automatically silence the music of any game you were playing. I had to go into the in-game options menu and turn the music to off, but it stays off even when I turn the game back on.

I'm hoping that when external storage gets patched in, I can just load up a USB stick with my favorite music and just tell the One to read off that.

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer
Is DLNA the thing that lets me stream all the music on my laptop and desktop (both Windows 7) PC to my PS3, Sony BD player, and XBox 360 flawlessly to my home theater system over my wireless network, allowing me to enjoy my entire library of music in my living room by just switching to one of those devices? Because if so, I admit I like it.
For movies and such I have an HDMI cable to my TV and a new Turtle Beach Audio Advantage Micro II USB sound card that allows me to get DTS and Dolby Digital to an optical audio input on my old (non-HDMI) Onkyo receiver which, while not streaming, works beautifully (thanks to the person who taught me that my TV only sent out 2.1).

Sorry. Not trying to derail. I sincerely enjoy that feature if it's DLNA. I don't know any more about it so I admit my ignorance.

Does The One not also support streaming music from my laptop and desktop? If not, is it planned in an OS upgrade eventually?

Sorry again, it appears the previous post answers my question somewhat.

TK_421
Aug 26, 2005

I find your lack of faith disturbing.

Dr. Faustus posted:

Is DLNA the thing that lets me stream all the music on my laptop and desktop (both Windows 7) PC to my PS3, Sony BD player, and XBox 360 flawlessly to my home theater system over my wireless network, allowing me to enjoy my entire library of music in my living room by just switching to one of those devices? Because if so, I admit I like it.
For movies and such I have an HDMI cable to my TV and a new Turtle Beach Audio Advantage Micro II USB sound card that allows me to get DTS and Dolby Digital to an optical audio input on my old (non-HDMI) Onkyo receiver which, while not streaming, works beautifully (thanks to the person who taught me that my TV only sent out 2.1).

Sorry. Not trying to derail. I sincerely enjoy that feature if it's DLNA. I don't know any more about it so I admit my ignorance.

Does The One not also support streaming music from my laptop and desktop? If not, is it planned in an OS upgrade eventually?

Sorry again, it appears the previous post answers my question somewhat.

You can use the "Play To" function to stream music, but it took a bit of Googling and homegroup configuration to get it working properly. It kind of runs like Windows Media Player too, in that it has trouble queuing more than 10 songs at once, which is mildly irritating.

Dr VideoGames 0.299
Feb 15, 2007

i really think you're overestimating how much
i love having dog shit smushed all over my face

ryan_woody posted:

It kind of runs like Windows Media Player too, in that it has trouble queuing more than 10 songs at once, which is mildly irritating.

That's weird; I haven't had that issue. I wonder what causes it?

GET MY BELT SON
Sep 26, 2007

Is there an issue with the bone saying the NAT is strict when it's not? I have my router dmz'd, all of the proper ports are forwarded, and i've set everything up manually the same as my 360 was. Plugging into my 360 shows it as being open but for some reason the bone won't recognize it as anything but strict.

falz
Jan 29, 2005

01100110 01100001 01101100 01111010
Do you have multiple public IP addresses? If not, how could you forward ports to both the One and 360 at same time?

GET MY BELT SON
Sep 26, 2007

falz posted:

Do you have multiple public IP addresses? If not, how could you forward ports to both the One and 360 at same time?

I have only used them one at a time not together.

edit: holy god I swear out of nowhere after a day of messing about it just went to open. Thanks for your reply.

GET MY BELT SON fucked around with this message at 01:39 on Apr 7, 2014

VincesUndies
Jul 18, 2002

Vince McMahon's Underpants
Soon (tomorrow?) we will be able to upload our hilarious TitanFall antics to YouTube directly!

http://news.xbox.com/2014/04/ent-gopro-on-xbox-360

-A n i m 8-
Feb 5, 2009
That's a nice surprise.

Crafty
Dec 9, 2003

I CAN'T SEE SHIT.

xbox one is the best

VincesUndies posted:

Soon (tomorrow?) we will be able to upload our hilarious TitanFall antics to YouTube directly!

http://news.xbox.com/2014/04/ent-gopro-on-xbox-360

It adds subscribed channels to the one guide and also allows youtube to be snapped. Decent update

VincesUndies
Jul 18, 2002

Now they just need to fix that terrible keyboard linear thing.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Crafty posted:

and also allows youtube to be snapped. Decent update

Praise be unto god.

Red Robin Hood
Jun 24, 2008

Buglord
Has anyone had any problems with games not downloading when their system is shut off? My friend and I bought Xbox Ones at the same time and his apparently does not download games while in the instant-on mode. He's confirmed that the box for download updates automatically is selected and he has confirmed with me that it IS in instant-on mode. He says when the machine turns off (Xbox turn off, yes) it does not download Titanfall.

Any suggestions would be much appreciated!

Crafty
Dec 9, 2003

I CAN'T SEE SHIT.

xbox one is the best

Red Robin Hood posted:

Has anyone had any problems with games not downloading when their system is shut off? My friend and I bought Xbox Ones at the same time and his apparently does not download games while in the instant-on mode. He's confirmed that the box for download updates automatically is selected and he has confirmed with me that it IS in instant-on mode. He says when the machine turns off (Xbox turn off, yes) it does not download Titanfall.

Any suggestions would be much appreciated!

Is he trying to download the digital copy of titanfall when his consoles in standby? I'm not sure if its meant to do that or not, he may have to just leave it on to download the game. I've had an issue kind of similar though. My games wouldn't update till I went to play them despite having the background download option ticked. There's a change in the way updates are downloaded in the April update which we'll get shortly, so I'm hoping that sorts it out.

Red Robin Hood
Jun 24, 2008

Buglord

Crafty posted:

Is he trying to download the digital copy of titanfall when his consoles in standby? I'm not sure if its meant to do that or not, he may have to just leave it on to download the game. I've had an issue kind of similar though. My games wouldn't update till I went to play them despite having the background download option ticked. There's a change in the way updates are downloaded in the April update which we'll get shortly, so I'm hoping that sorts it out.

Yeah it is the digital copy of Titanfall, however I did the same thing as him and had zero problems downloading it while the system was off. I thought maybe his internet connection was bad enough that it couldn't keep the connection when in a lower power state so it just stopped.

Capsaicin
Nov 17, 2004

broof roof roof
I ended up getting a 3.5mm to 2.5mm cable for my Tritton AX Pros. I have the 360 headset adapter. I am going from my headset to the little adapter included with the headset adapter to the headset adapter. I joined a party and originally was able to talk (the green circle next to my name was lighting up), but nobody could still hear me, nor could I hear them. I rebooted my XBox, and now I can hear people, but they can't hear me. The green circle isn't working.

Any idea?

Edit: looks like it's coming through my tv instead of my headset.

Capsaicin fucked around with this message at 01:46 on Apr 8, 2014

Crafty
Dec 9, 2003

I CAN'T SEE SHIT.

xbox one is the best

Red Robin Hood posted:

Yeah it is the digital copy of Titanfall, however I did the same thing as him and had zero problems downloading it while the system was off. I thought maybe his internet connection was bad enough that it couldn't keep the connection when in a lower power state so it just stopped.

No idea I'm afraid. I do think there's a bug with downloading in the 'sleep' state at the moment though, judging from my own problems. They are overhauling the way updates work with the next update so that should sort it. I guess he tried the old hard reset (holding the power button down for 10 seconds?

VincesUndies
Jul 18, 2002

Capsaicin posted:

I ended up getting a 3.5mm to 2.5mm cable for my Tritton AX Pros. I have the 360 headset adapter. I am going from my headset to the little adapter included with the headset adapter to the headset adapter. I joined a party and originally was able to talk (the green circle next to my name was lighting up), but nobody could still hear me, nor could I hear them. I rebooted my XBox, and now I can hear people, but they can't hear me. The green circle isn't working.

Any idea?

From Reddit:

Headsets with 2.5mm controller jack - Tritton AX Pros, 720, Astro A40s, A50s, etc.

You MUST use the included 2.5mm adapter that came with the adapter. if you recieved the adapter from buying the Xbox One stereo headset, the cable isn't included, but can be bought here. Note the 3 wire male plug. This will allow your mic to work. DO NOT plug a regular 3.5mm cable directly into the adapter. If you did this and your microphone won't work, this is why. You can use the adapter to receive game sounds as well, but the output will not be great because its not running through your headsets sound processor. Use whatever connection you used on your 360/ps3 to get game sound. on my AX Pros and i believe A50s, that would be the optical connection to the xbox/tv.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Capsaicin posted:

Any idea?

I had that issue with my Turtle Beach XP500s (gently caress TB for loving around so long to get an adapter out, latest word is June, but in small numbers). Hopefully they will make it a Bluetooth one because gently caress cables from the controller.

The issue about audio/chat can be found here:

http://support.xbox.com/en-US/xbox-one/accessories/connect-compatible-headset

For me to get my TB headset to work with the Official XBone adapter, I need to purchase the TB PS4 chat cable. You might need to do the equivalent with your Tritton headset.

sba
Jul 9, 2001

bae
Can someone recommend a good HDMI splitter for a setup that has one TV with two HDMI inputs, 1 Xbox 360, 1 Xbox One and 1 PS4 ?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

monkeu
Jun 1, 2000

by Reene

sba posted:

Can someone recommend a good HDMI splitter for a setup that has one TV with two HDMI inputs, 1 Xbox 360, 1 Xbox One and 1 PS4 ?

Plug the 360 into the xbox one?

• Locked thread