Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

We have decided to decline your offer of a butt kicking.
The only thing I remember about Stallone Dredd is "Eat recycled food." I was very young when I saw it.

I'm getting mixed signals. Is it worth watching? Is it worth watching only as campy 90s action fun?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pycckuu
Sep 13, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
I liked Stallone's Judge Dredd when I first saw it and it was a cool movie for a 10 year old. I like it now because it's a cool 90s action movie and if you don't care about comic books it's pretty good.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Wittgen posted:

The only thing I remember about Stallone Dredd is "Eat recycled food." I was very young when I saw it.

I'm getting mixed signals. Is it worth watching? Is it worth watching only as campy 90s action fun?
It's worth watching. If nothing else it's worth watching as a comparison piece to the Urban Dredd.

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo
If you're really itching to watch a good 90s Stallone action movie, I would go for Demolition Man every time.

Stallone Dredd has some very pretty sets though.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.
"Eat recycled food. It's good for the environment and okay for you." I loved that robot.

MrBling posted:

If you're really itching to watch a good 90s Stallone action movie, I would go for Demolition Man every time.

Stallone Dredd has some very pretty sets though.

I watched Demolition Man a dozen times before Stallone's Dredd came out to pass the time, and after I had watched Dredd I just went back and watched Demolition Man another dozen times.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
Demolition Man is literally a better Stallone Dredd movie than the real Stallone Dredd movie.

Stallone Dredd has some incredible leaps of logic in its story and characters that the script doesn't work with at all. It's worth watching to laugh at only after the almost good opening.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

MrBling posted:

I'll go one further, if you're hungry for a 90's action movie just drop all the alternatives and go straight for Demolition Man. That movie was just so good.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Xoidanor posted:

I'll go one further, if you're hungry for a 90's action movie just drop all the alternatives and go straight for Demolition Man. That movie was just so good.
It's a cool movie and I love it for a lot of reasons, but not really for the action. If you're going for pure action in a 90s movie you can do a whole lot better.

Myrddin_Emrys
Mar 27, 2007

by Hand Knit
As someone who grew up reading Dredd comics, Stallones Dredd did everything loving wrong. I never understand anyone who says different.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Myrddin_Emrys posted:

As someone who grew up reading Dredd comics, Stallones Dredd did everything loving wrong. I never understand anyone who says different.

The soundtrack especially was so overly heroic. It was good but totally off for the character. Weirdly Jerry Goldsmith did some music for all the early preview and teaser trailer stuff and that sounded much more appropriate, had a good sense of urgency to it. I think Stallone himself mentioned the sets too. He hated how they had these freaking amazing Mega City One streets sets and extras that were super convincing and awesome but ended up only using them in the film for like one minute.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2p7SPZshLlM

Best scene is the one where Armand Assante and Stallone angrily talk about the past for like ten minutes without actually divulging any information about anything while Joan Chen look on, visibly embarrassed to be involved in the production. It was almost Lynchian. Also Armand Assante able to walk around shooting people and no on cares. Able to shoot and bomb his way out of a prison and no one cares, etc.

One good thing did come out of the movie though:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ueYUwcZV-n0

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Xenomrph posted:

There's a ton of things the Stallone Dredd did right - when Stallone keeps the helmet on, he's spot-on as Dredd. The depiction of Mega City One is awesome, and the soundtrack by Alan Silvestri owns. The animatronic ABC Warbot is completely kickass, too.

If anything the cheesy Stallone film is actually closer the grandiose colorful look of the comics.

GORDON
Jan 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Xenomrph posted:

It's a cool movie and I love it for a lot of reasons, but not really for the action. If you're going for pure action in a 90s movie you can do a whole lot better.

If Demolition Man were released today the PC brigade would be all over the internet arguing Cocteau was the good guy, because he was working toward the Greater Good.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

GORDON posted:

If Demolition Man were released today the PC brigade would be all over the internet arguing Cocteau was the good guy, because he was working toward the Greater Good.
To be totally fair a lot of aspects of the movie's future ARE pretty cool. I love their self-driving ultra safe electric cars.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Xenomrph posted:

To be totally fair a lot of aspects of the movie's future ARE pretty cool. I love their self-driving ultra safe electric cars.

not to mention safe sex in the future and also the mystery of the three sea shells.

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.

GORDON posted:

"PC brigade" a code phrase for "people that call me out for my racist/sexist/lovely opinions"
I'm so sure people would argue that Cocteau was totally in the right, just as they do Big Brother! Oh, wait.

:frogout:

Krowley
Feb 15, 2008

:lol: Demolition Man was a prophetic warning about the dangers of political correctness going mad, you guys!

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Krowley posted:

:lol: Demolition Man was a prophetic warning about the dangers of political correctness going mad, you guys!

It's pretty much a liberal dream society in which all the guns get locked away in museums and the police don't go around killing people.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Krowley posted:

"Hey, gently caress you, lady!"

GORDON
Jan 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

wyoming posted:

"PC brigade" a code phrase for "people that call me out for my racist/sexist/lovely opinions"
I'm so sure people would argue that Cocteau was totally in the right, just as they do Big Brother! Oh, wait.

You seem kind of defensive about it. Sorry to have offended you with an opinion. Mellow greetings. I will fine myself one half credit for violation of the verbal moralities act.

Psycho.

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.

Krowley posted:

I mean, this is why Demolition Man is so great, it's a right wing horror film "This is what liberals actually believe!"

Dennis Leary, leader of the true 'mericans, basically quoting his rear end in a top hat song is probably the best part.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UrgpZ0fUixs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JizGkM6gbvQ

Demoltion Man owns.

GORDON posted:

You seem kind of defensive about it. Sorry to have offended you with an opinion. Mellow greetings. I will fine myself one half credit for violation of the verbal moralities act.

Psycho.

Ah yes, calling shitheads out on terrible opinions is being "defensive"
You got me, good show, gonna go cry some PC tears.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang

GORDON posted:

Psycho.

No he's right, 'PC brigade' is dog-whistle for cunts.

GORDON
Jan 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
It wasn't when I said it. And I think you guys are supporting my original statement. Peeps love to be offended.

Pycckuu
Sep 13, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
If you think about it, Demolition Man was about the Something Awful forums all along.

You are Stallone, Aatrek is Simon Phoenix and the future LA government are the admins who empower creeps like him. The machine that keeps writing you tickets for using bad words are the mods handing out 6 hour probies. Edgar Friendly and the Scraps are the 'yad Lads, who periodically exit the sewers (FYAD) to raid the Taco Bell for supplies (find goonlulz in the grey forums).

Krowley
Feb 15, 2008

GORDON posted:

It wasn't when I said it. And I think you guys are supporting my original statement. Peeps love to be offended.

Better watch out or Comrade Obama's Peacekeepers will put you in an isocube for thoughtcrimes.

GORDON
Jan 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
I need a psychic rookie to tell me when they are going for my primary weapon.

Ungoal
Mar 13, 2014

by XyloJW

MrBling posted:

The best action movie Stallone did in the 90s was Cliffhanger, bud. :D

wyoming posted:

Not really, no.

Jethz
Sep 17, 2004
Anyone get the feeling that Almost Human is like a very early prequel to Dredd and they later cloned Dredd from the DNA of John Kennex?

It's little things like calling prison 'cubes', the way society evolves in Almost Human (like the Chromes aka perfect genetically engineered people) and automated systems murdering people. I wouldn't be surprised that one of the last episodes of Almost Human with the guy extracting DNA to make himself more beautiful is something straight out of a Dredd comic.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Ungoal posted:

The best action movie Stallone did in the 90s was Cliffhanger, bud. :D

Eh. I mean it's the only other one even in contention but Demolition Man is still better.

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

Jethz posted:

Anyone get the feeling that Almost Human is like a very early prequel to Dredd and they later cloned Dredd from the DNA of John Kennex?

It's little things like calling prison 'cubes', the way society evolves in Almost Human (like the Chromes aka perfect genetically engineered people) and automated systems murdering people. I wouldn't be surprised that one of the last episodes of Almost Human with the guy extracting DNA to make himself more beautiful is something straight out of a Dredd comic.
Yea, some poster further back put it in a way that I'll accept as cannon.

Wade Wilson posted:

Almost Human is the story of the man that Dredd was eventually cloned from.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

wyoming posted:

I mean, this is why Demolition Man is so great, it's a right wing horror film "This is what liberals actually believe!"

Dennis Leary, leader of the true 'mericans, basically quoting his rear end in a top hat song is probably the best part.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UrgpZ0fUixs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JizGkM6gbvQ

Demoltion Man owns.

Ah yes, calling shitheads out on terrible opinions is being "defensive"
You got me, good show, gonna go cry some PC tears.

Dennis Leary is not the best part of anything. Don't listen to this man.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

Drunkboxer posted:

He's a good part of The Ref, at least.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OrWcEGDXOUg

gently caress it thread, I'm going to rewatch Demolition Man, Stallone Dredd and modern Dredd. They're all fantastic in their own ways. :3:

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009

Drunkboxer posted:

What kind of philistine can't appreciate recycled Bill Hicks jokes?

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747
Just found this on youtube, might be cool?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aavS_XUITXU

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

"Science is not only compatible with spirituality; it is a profound source of spirituality."

-Carl Sagan
Production values were pretty good and overall it was a very entertaining short. Cool!

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

etalian posted:

It's pretty much a liberal dream society in which all the guns get locked away in museums and the police don't go around killing people.
But, what will they do if a black man escapes into society?!

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Dissapointed Owl posted:

He's a good part of The Ref, at least.

All of The Ref is great, what the poo poo are you smoking? Also Denis Leary owns hard in Judgment Night which is a good 90s action/right wing crime scare film.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

DrNutt posted:

All of The Ref is great, what the poo poo are you smoking?

I'm not disagreeing. Just saying Denis Leary can be very entertaining.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?
Well, there goes that. Almost Human has been canceled.

http://www.ign.com/articles/2014/04/30/almost-human-cancelled-by-fox?utm_campaign=fbposts&utm_source=facebook

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Think of the good side: now Urban can focus his energy on making Dredd 2 happen. :haw:

• Locked thread