Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pythagoras a trois
Feb 19, 2004

I have a lot of points to make and I will make them later.

shrike82 posted:

I guess my question is let's say you define 100k as your boundary for the upper class or rich or oppressor class. How does this inform your politics? I still don't get why we should be focused on attacking professionals making low six figures when they're still making a living through labor.

I'll attack them as long as they vote in a destructive manner.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

Cheekio posted:

I'll attack them as long as they vote in a destructive manner.

Sure, the same way I'd attack any working poor that voted for Obama.

down with slavery
Dec 23, 2013
STOP QUOTING MY POSTS SO PEOPLE THAT AREN'T IDIOTS DON'T HAVE TO READ MY FUCKING TERRIBLE OPINIONS THANKS

shrike82 posted:

Actually I think you'll find the working poor are by and large very sympathetic to the message of "both parties are completely corrupt, we need real change" that's probably why Barry campaigned on it.

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

loquacius posted:

-- a person who does not know how expensive the Boston suburbs are

One bedrooms are $1300 a month 20 miles out from the city.

Gumbel2Gumbel fucked around with this message at 22:51 on Apr 5, 2014

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

Justus posted:

The IRS credits .50/mi for business-related transportation write-offs, so based on my 20 mile round commute, I'm saving $10 EVERY DAY I make the commute by bike.

No, you're committing tax fraud by writing it off. Your commuting costs to and from your workplace are considered personal expenses, not deductible business-related transportation.

Take a look at the instructions for IRS Form 2106, specifically line 2:

"The expenses of commuting to and from work are not deductible."

(There are some minor exceptions for temporary workplaces and for people who normally telework but infrequently have to commute.)

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Gumbel2Gumbel posted:

One bedrooms are $1300 a month 10 miles out from the city.

Which would be well within Boston's borders if it had expanded by annexation the way places like Philadelphia and NYC did .

esto es malo
Aug 3, 2006

Don't want to end up a cartoon

In a cartoon graveyard

shrike82 posted:

As opposed to?

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

Install Windows posted:

Which would be well within Boston's borders if it had expanded by annexation the way places like Philadelphia and NYC did .

I mistook my distances, I'm 20 miles away from Boston proper and it's $1300 month for apartments around here

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Kalman posted:

No, you're committing tax fraud by writing it off. Your commuting costs to and from your workplace are considered personal expenses, not deductible business-related transportation.

(There are some minor exceptions for temporary workplaces and for people who normally telework but infrequently have to commute.)

What he's saying is using the IRS's number he's saving that by not having a car; not that he's claiming that on his taxes.

At least I hope not.

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

joeburz posted:

As opposed to?

And that's my question for Cheekio.

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

hobbesmaster posted:

What he's saying is using the IRS's number he's saving that by not having a car; not that he's claiming that on his taxes.

At least I hope not.

Eh, yeah, could read it that way too. It's a silly thing to say, though, since by his logic it costs me the same to commute by transit as it would to drive. (Before parking, at least, though I can pay parking pretax.)

It also ignores bike upkeep and depreciation, which the IRS folds into their .50 per mile value for car travel ( unsure if the IRS also folds in the initial capital cost.). Sure, they're not incredibly expensive, but if you're going to do math, do it right.

(But, okay , it's likely he's not committing tax fraud.)

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Gumbel2Gumbel posted:

I mistook my distances, I'm 20 miles away from Boston proper and it's $1300 month for apartments around here

And what particular suburb are you in? I mean I know someone in Melrose who pays $550 a month for a 1 bedroom apartment.

Justus
Apr 18, 2006

Kalman posted:

I didn't say I was taking the write-off. I was just using it as a convenient estimate for what it costs on average to drive when considering the cost of the vehicle, repairs, fuel, and insurance.

I know about the write-off because I used to take it when I was a musician running a production business. It's fair game if you're self-employed. If I still drove a car to work, I could also take a much smaller write-off today because my job sometimes involves travelling in the middle of the day between three sites.

e: fb

quote:

Eh, yeah, could read it that way too. It's a silly thing to say, though, since by his logic it costs me the same to commute by transit as it would to drive. (Before parking, at least, though I can pay parking pretax.)

It also ignores bike upkeep and depreciation, which the IRS folds into their .50 per mile value for car travel ( unsure if the IRS also folds in the initial capital cost.). Sure, they're not incredibly expensive, but if you're going to do math, do it right.

(But, okay , it's likely he's not committing tax fraud.)

I hope you're not seriously trying to insinuate that cars aren't massively more expensive to get around in than a bike. I know I'm not being exactly mathematically precise here, but I didn't think this was particularly controversial enough an idea to necessitate backing with precise numbers and research. Fine, you wanna build a fudge-factor in? Let's be conservative and say I only save half as much by biking. That's still $5 a day! Even at that rate, if I ride my bike to work four times a week, I'm still socking away an extra $1040 a year!

Justus fucked around with this message at 23:15 on Apr 5, 2014

Maarek
Jun 9, 2002

Your silence only incriminates you further.

shrike82 posted:

I guess my question is let's say you define 100k as your boundary for the upper class or rich or oppressor class. How does this inform your politics? I still don't get why we should be focused on attacking professionals making low six figures when they're still making a living through labor.

If it's not germane to the topic then how about people stop appending every conversation about income in America with "cost of living" disclaimers. It's pointless and super easy to debunk, considering there are tons of people who live in New York City who make the median income or less and also have children of their own.

No one is attacking 'professionals' for making low six figures, they're attacking people for claiming that an artisinal buttplug crafter in Williamsburg is practically the working poor despite making twice as much as them. Sure, they don't mean any harm, but that doesn't mean it isn't clueless and wrong or that we have to listen to it.

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

LET ME EXPLAIN TO YOU WHY YOU ARE WRONG ABOUT EVERYTHING
It's patently obvious to me that our true enemies are the finance, defense, and energy industries, not any given grouping of people of different incomes. Those three industries have persistently worked towards bad ends without any long term plan other than making more money than they can ever use.

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

Install Windows posted:

And what particular suburb are you in? I mean I know someone in Melrose who pays $550 a month for a 1 bedroom apartment.

That's probably a room or an attachment to a house, and not an apartment proper. Lowest Melrose 1 BR on Craigslist is $950 and the rest are much higher. Everything around here is super expensive. Philadelphia's much more affordable.

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July
It's academic to argue the point though. From the poor white in the south voting to "keep the government out of my Medicare" to the moderately rich black voting to lower taxes because it will create jobs, people vote against the better interests of themselves and society as a whole at all income levels.

In short: the base of the Republican Party tends to consist of short-sighted and misinformed individuals, ladies and gentlemen. Hope that helps.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Gumbel2Gumbel posted:

That's probably a room or an attachment to a house, and not an apartment proper. Lowest Melrose 1 BR on Craigslist is $950 and the rest are much higher. Everything around here is super expensive. Philadelphia's much more affordable.

It's a purpose-built apartment house from the late 80s. The stuff that's currently up on Craigslist isn't a reliable indicator of what people actually pay.

MarsDragon
Apr 27, 2010

"You've all learned something very important here: there are things in this world you just can't change!"

Defenestration posted:

I can't tell what we're arguing about anymore but obviously the answer is everyone should go be software engineers in Idaho

Gotta admit, it's working out pretty well for me. Well, except for the part where I'm living in Idaho.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

skaboomizzy posted:

RealClearPolitics has an average for the calendar year so far of Crist +4.5 points. Most of those polls are from January, but there hasn't been anything earth-shattering here since then to sway the numbers in a meaningful way.

It's worth noting that UF and Quinnipiac both ran polls in late January that had Crist up 7-8 points. Rick Scott is in trouble here and has been running TV ads since early March.

Oh no. :negative:

Hopefully Crist's Secretary of Transportation doesn't take the department in some alarming new direction.

Jimbozig
Sep 30, 2003

I like sharing and ice cream and animals.
Down with slavery, you should learn this important fact: urban areas and rural ones are not coincident. All the rural areas I've ever been in didn't have cities occupying the same location. So, indeed, moving from rural to local is ALL about location. It is 100% about location. Did you know that location does not refer only to one's state? If I am in Memphis TN, I am not in the same location as someone in rural TN!

I hope that this clears things up for you and you can stop making GBS threads yourself over this.

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES
This may be of interest to some of you: National Cost of Living Estimates At State, City and County Levels

It was last updated in June 2012 and while I'm not sure how accurate it is generally, it's accurate for everywhere I've lived.

Grand Theft Autobot posted:

According to the Heritage Foundation, the middle class is everyone with a household income between $71k and $613k

Somehow, the middle class begins somewhere in the 30th percentile of household income and ends at the top 1%. Also, I'm pretty sure that $613k figure is utterly wrong.

source

If you go by the 60s and 70s sense of the term, they're right. We're not a middle class society anymore by that standard.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx
US Politics April: A Series of Fantastically Bad Derails

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

comes along bort posted:

US Politics April: A Series of Fantastically Bad Derails

The definition of class is particularly important to politics though.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment that I'm alive, I pray for death!

computer parts posted:

The definition of class is particularly important to politics though.

True, but we always always always end up in this same circular bullshit about income levels vs. living costs, as "defining class in America" appears to be one of the things we can't handle.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

It's so hard to keep track...maybe you could make like, a list of these things we can't handle?

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

VitalSigns posted:

It's so hard to keep track...maybe you could make like, a list of these things we can't handle?

-class
-cockfighting
-affirmative action
-food budgeting for poor people

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant

Badger of Basra posted:

-class
-cockfighting
-affirmative action
-food discussion of any kind

Fixed this for you. Also,
-circumcision
-the sincerity of anti-abortion belief
-accelerationism

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

We must, as Matt Bevin argued, return the the Godly ways of our founding fathers.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

Joementum posted:

We must, as Matt Bevin argued, return the the Godly ways of our founding fathers.

Should be the D&D background image

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe
Hahaha and one black soldier :lol:

e: Lincoln is like "chicken boxing?" and JQ Adams is like "Lincoln??"

Note that Lincoln is using a CPI-approved Supportive Nonthreatening Stance.

woke wedding drone fucked around with this message at 03:14 on Apr 6, 2014

Subvisual Haze
Nov 22, 2003

The building was on fire and it wasn't my fault.
Jesus Christ, Knight of Gondor.

menino
Jul 27, 2006

Pon De Floor
Sam Seder was talking about Cuomo's secretary Larry Schwartz definition of Middle Class as making around 500k a year, also good stuff on austerity and how calling for tax cuts as a way to help "middle class families" is a concerted political ploy after you have redefined who that is. Video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zBxiQYQGVj8&t=102s

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
While that's obviously an edit, there's a rooster in McNaughton's "Obamanation" painting, which according to his site is supposed to represent Jeremiah Wright, who once said that America's "chickens are coming home to roost".

There's also sad Mitt holding a billfold and a soldier crying as he eats a gay wedding cake.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
I have to agree that our police sergeants not knowing how to hold a beer mug properly is a very serious concern for our fair republic.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

StandardVC10 posted:

Fixed this for you. Also,
-circumcision
-the sincerity of anti-abortion belief
-accelerationism

Please, D&D has the best food derails.

...so add lists to the list of things we can't handle.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Joementum posted:

While that's obviously an edit, there's a rooster in McNaughton's "Obamanation" painting, which according to his site is supposed to represent Jeremiah Wright, who once said that America's "chickens are coming home to roost".

There's also sad Mitt holding a billfold and a soldier crying as he eats a gay wedding cake.

That's a really subtle 9/11 reference in the background (sorry, "UN and Air Force One").

Horseshoe theory
Mar 7, 2005

The Cthulhu edit (from LF?) is better.

Toph Bei Fong
Feb 29, 2008

Joementum posted:

Why the hell did he paint Jonathan Franzen and Tony Stark there on the right? Are they about the get eaten by that ghostly apparition in the robe?

edit:

Joementum posted:

What does it say about his art that you could replace Obama with Bush and the message would be every bit as convoluted and meaningless?

Toph Bei Fong fucked around with this message at 04:58 on Apr 6, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006

HootTheOwl posted:

Please, D&D has the best food derails.

...so add lists to the list of things we can't handle.

And with that we can stop thinking about this list. It has never been funny (with a single gif exception) any of the times it came up in the politoons thread.

• Locked thread