Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride
Get it going at a high speed so it makes that whooshing noise and twirls around and just do that at a distance from her. Surely she'll come over to mess with it on her own terms.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DressCodeBlue
Jun 15, 2006

Professional zombie impersonator.
So last week I had my apartment heat treated for bed bugs (gross) and left Butts with a friend for the day. He immediately warmed up to her and when I came to pick him up, he looked legit shocked. Since then, he's started doing something he's never done before: actually being a cat and climbing on things. His new favorite spots are the back of the couch, the dresser, and a super high-up windowsill above the dresser. I think he finally understands that this is his permanent home and I do not care if he climbs on the furniture? If he keeps this up, I'm going to get him a cat tree. So pumped. :3:

turbomoose posted:

My cats also seem strangely addicted to packing tape.
1 Bring home box.
2 Jump in box.
3 Chew on tape.
He pretty much never even plays in the box, though. Just snorts that sweet, sweet tape glue.

xenilk
Apr 17, 2004

ERRYDAY I BE SPLIT-TONING! Honestly, its the only skill I got other than shooting the back of women and calling it "Editorial".
What about a laser? Works great for both of my cats :)

black.lion
Apr 1, 2004

For if he like a madman lived,
At least he like a wise one died.

How important is trimming a cat's claws? I have two ladies, each about to turn 4 years old; Remi is mostly outside climbing trees and hunting, so I let her keep her claws sharp, but Ella spends pretty much all day in my bed and doesn't really use the scratching post. There's no issue with her scratching people or furniture or anything, but wasn't sure if it was important for me to trim them for her comfort or a health issue I'm not aware of.

Also, secondary question while I'm here: Remi is a bit of a grumpy personality, she grumbles quietly when you pick her up if she doesn't feel like being handled, but she'll never attack me/family/friends/gf/etc. I'm giving her belly rubs right now. However, every vet I've ever taken her to has reported that she is extremely violent. I just took her to a new vet (new city) and he called to tell me he had to muzzle her, and if he was going to examine her she'd need to be sedated. Anyway, TLDR my cat is an rear end in a top hat to vets, is this something I need to be concerned about/correct going forward? I tried to raise her sweet but she's just got an evil streak...

e: Wow I just finished reading the OP, there's a lot of "Keep your cat indoors!!" Is the PI Hivemind really that disapproving of indoor/outdoor cats?

e2: Regarding Remi's behavior question, more info:

4 years old
Female
Had her since about 8 weeks old
She is spayed
Purina One urinary tract health at the moment (I'm about to go read the Pet Nutrition thread I promise)
Last week
Indoor/outdoor
One other cat (Ella)
One litterbox

black.lion fucked around with this message at 20:12 on Apr 2, 2014

Dr. Chaco
Mar 30, 2005

black.lion posted:

e: Wow I just finished reading the OP, there's a lot of "Keep your cat indoors!!" Is the PI Hivemind really that disapproving of indoor/outdoor cats?

I don't know that you can really attribute one blanket opinion to the "hivemind" but here's my take: it largely depends on your cat and where you live, but in my experience, outdoor cats die in horrible ways.

They get infected with FeLV, FIV, and panleukopenia.
They get exposed to fleas, ticks, chiggers, ear mites, heartworm, tapeworms, roundworms, and toxoplasma.
They are attacked by dogs and other cats and carried off by coyotes and bit by snakes and hit by cars.
They get hit, kicked, stepped on, and shot with pellet guns by idiot neighbors.
White cats get skin cancer on their ears and noses.
They can get stuck in storm drains and other contraptions and die of starvation, or hypothermia or heat stroke depending on the season.
They come in contact with rat poison, snail poison, and antifreeze.
They quite often simply disappear.

Some of these are bigger concerns than others, some don't apply to every location, so you have to evaluate your area, your cat's personality and inclinations, and what sort of risks are acceptable to you. I can tell you I have seen everything on that list at least once in the past year and a half, so in my area, I try really hard to get people to at least think before they let the cat out, and to certainly bring them in each night.

Rat Patrol
Feb 15, 2008

kill kill kill kill
kill me now
Plus they murder the local wildlife in significant numbers. Bad for the birds and for the cats that get to catch whatever parasite/illness they were carrying.

Dr. Fraiser Chain
May 18, 2004

Redlining my shit posting machine

They also annihilate the local songbird and small rodent populations.

black.lion
Apr 1, 2004

Fair enough, I move pretty often, if I end up in a more urban area (or one with coyotes) they won't be going out. Has anyone ever switched an outdoor/indoor cat to just indoor? How do you deal with crippling guilt buried behind adorable eyes and mews at the door? She's long outgrown interest in lasers and feathers on string...

Rat Patrol
Feb 15, 2008

kill kill kill kill
kill me now
Ozma used to be a farm cat. The adjustment was kind of rough at first, but in our new apartment I just make sure she has plenty of access to all the windows (fortunately there are a lot of them) and has something to climb/jump on in every room (as well as her toys). She's perfectly adjusted now, may try to casually walk out the door once ever like, six months, but it's as easy as picking her up and tossing her back inside.

But then, she's always preferred to stick nearby the closest person, even when she lived on the farm.

e: if you do intend to bring your cat indoors, you'll want to clip her claws. For you, for your stuff, and for her, they can get harmfully long.

e: another thing: outdoor cats can get straight up stolen. An old coworker of mine had one of her cats picked up because someone equated outdoors with "free to take". Despite signs asking for it everywhere, it took a mutual friend of the coworker and the neighbor who stole the cat to realize what had happened and call the thief out on it...and even then he was reluctant to return the cat, because his kids were attached.

In the end he was shamed into returning the cat because he was a preacher and a fuss probably wouldn't have worked out well in his favor, but yeah. If your cat is very nice even a collar may not necessarily stop someone from taking it. I think forums poster bobula had a cat stolen by a neighbor too

Rat Patrol fucked around with this message at 21:06 on Apr 2, 2014

black.lion
Apr 1, 2004

Huntersoninski posted:

e: if you do intend to bring your cat indoors, you'll want to clip her claws. For you, for your stuff, and for her, they can get harmfully long.

Could you tell me more about this? Like I said I have two cats, and both are allowed outdoors but Ella prefers to spend all her time inside (she goes out once or twice a month I'd estimate) - she doesn't scratch me or stuff at all, but I don't clip her nails. How can they be harmfully long for her?

Was your coworker's cat chipped/collared? I can't imagine a person trying to steal my cat, wearing a tag with my name and phone number on it, and being registered to my name with a chip.

e: I also can't imagine having the control to shame someone into returning my cat, I don't know what I'd do but it would probably be an escalation and get me in trouble.

gently caress catnappers forever.

VVV Gotcha, thanks for the info! VVV

black.lion fucked around with this message at 21:18 on Apr 2, 2014

Rat Patrol
Feb 15, 2008

kill kill kill kill
kill me now
If they get super long and pointy they can get caught in stuff and break. Which hurts like a broken nail. So it's not harmful in a kill-your-cat way, but it's a way to prevent possible pain/discomfort to kitty. I've heard of cats with super-curved claws having them grow into the pads of their paws, but I couldn't tell you if that's a common thing.

And I don't know if the cat was chipped (it was something like ten years ago so probably not), but if the person who takes it doesn't care enough to respond to Lost Cat posters I doubt they're taking it in to get scanned for a chip either.

I'm not saying cat snatchers are everywhere, just that it's another less-likely but not-impossible point on the list of outdoor dangers.

Hummingbirds
Feb 17, 2011

black.lion posted:

Also, secondary question while I'm here: Remi is a bit of a grumpy personality, she grumbles quietly when you pick her up if she doesn't feel like being handled, but she'll never attack me/family/friends/gf/etc. I'm giving her belly rubs right now. However, every vet I've ever taken her to has reported that she is extremely violent. I just took her to a new vet (new city) and he called to tell me he had to muzzle her, and if he was going to examine her she'd need to be sedated. Anyway, TLDR my cat is an rear end in a top hat to vets, is this something I need to be concerned about/correct going forward? I tried to raise her sweet but she's just got an evil streak...

My boy Squeaky is completely harmless at home, has never maliciously scratched or bitten anyone, and can be picked up and held like a baby indefinitely with no more than some complaining meows in response. But at the vet he turns into a poo poo cannon, screams and tries to attack the vet and techs. He gets sedated for his check-ups now. It's not a big deal, at least while he's young enough to (probably) not have issues with the anesthesia. Don't worry about your cat being a terror at the vet, they can probably handle her.

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

Huntersoninski posted:

If they get super long and pointy they can get caught in stuff and break. Which hurts like a broken nail. So it's not harmful in a kill-your-cat way, but it's a way to prevent possible pain/discomfort to kitty. I've heard of cats with super-curved claws having them grow into the pads of their paws, but I couldn't tell you if that's a common thing.

And I don't know if the cat was chipped (it was something like ten years ago so probably not), but if the person who takes it doesn't care enough to respond to Lost Cat posters I doubt they're taking it in to get scanned for a chip either.

I'm not saying cat snatchers are everywhere, just that it's another less-likely but not-impossible point on the list of outdoor dangers.

I would see maybe one or two cats a month who had ingrown nails. Some were simple and just a clip and a little time to heal and everything was good. SomeI would have to bandage and put on a course of antibiotics. There was one where the nail grew a full 720 degrees and was making a second hole in the pad.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

Huntersoninski posted:

e: another thing: outdoor cats can get straight up stolen. An old coworker of mine had one of her cats picked up because someone equated outdoors with "free to take". Despite signs asking for it everywhere, it took a mutual friend of the coworker and the neighbor who stole the cat to realize what had happened and call the thief out on it...and even then he was reluctant to return the cat, because his kids were attached.

In the end he was shamed into returning the cat because he was a preacher and a fuss probably wouldn't have worked out well in his favor, but yeah. If your cat is very nice even a collar may not necessarily stop someone from taking it. I think forums poster bobula had a cat stolen by a neighbor too

I had a neighbor that stole one of my outdoor cats about 7 years ago. He knocked on my door and asked if he could take my cat since his kids had grown attached to her. I said no, please don't take my cat. A few weeks later they took her inside and didn't let her go outside anymore. :rolleye: We also had another cat when I was in 3rd grade that drank some antifreeze and died of renal failure.

OK, another question. My idiot cat has finally started acting normal again after her surgery. Last night she broke a compact fluorescent bulb while I was sleeping and I didn't notice until this morning. I don't think it's really anything to worry about as I doubt she ate the glass, but there's still some mercury in there. Is it a big problem? This cat :cripes:

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

MeramJert posted:

I had a neighbor that stole one of my outdoor cats about 7 years ago. He knocked on my door and asked if he could take my cat since his kids had grown attached to her. I said no, please don't take my cat. A few weeks later they took her inside and didn't let her go outside anymore. :rolleye: We also had another cat when I was in 3rd grade that drank some antifreeze and died of renal failure.

OK, another question. My idiot cat has finally started acting normal again after her surgery. Last night she broke a compact fluorescent bulb while I was sleeping and I didn't notice until this morning. I don't think it's really anything to worry about as I doubt she ate the glass, but there's still some mercury in there. Is it a big problem? This cat :cripes:

No, the amount of mercury in a single bulb is miniscule and harmless. The vapor from it slowly evaporating would be the only real issue, and there's not enough for it to build up any appreciable concentration. If she drank the liquid mercury, it'll just pass on through.

Braki
Aug 9, 2006

Happy birthday!

black.lion posted:

Honestly, I think it would be best if you took some steps to help her be better at the vet's. It would be a lot easier on her (think of how freaked out she must be to lash out like that) and on the clinic staff. No one wants to be bitten or scratched by an angry cat, and if she needs to be sedated just for a physical exam, that's getting serious. One day, she will get sick and will require medical care, and cats that get that angry are very difficult to treat and may end up costing you more money (some places will charge a difficult handling fee) and will limit the medical care your pet can receive if no one can get near her. It will take time and effort, but you can help desensitize and countercondition her so that she's a better pet.

Does she like her carrier? Is it always out, with something comfy in it for her to sleep in? If not, start giving her her meals in there, or tossing in treats every now and then until she will go into her carrier with no problems. Then start closing the door and giving her treats. Then go to the car and come back. Short car rides. Bring her to the vet every once in a while and give her treats and leave, once your previous training has made her calm enough for that. I'm sure the vet clinic would be more than willing to help you out and take her to a room to just pet her and give her food for a couple of minutes and slowly acclimate her to being handled at a vet clinic if it means they don't have to pull out the cat gloves.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

Deteriorata posted:

No, the amount of mercury in a single bulb is miniscule and harmless. The vapor from it slowly evaporating would be the only real issue, and there's not enough for it to build up any appreciable concentration. If she drank the liquid mercury, it'll just pass on through.

OK cool, thanks.

baxxy
Feb 18, 2005

You tried your best and you failed miserably. The lesson is 'never try'. -homer simpson
I'm moving in with my boyfriend soon (as in, maybe tonight, but I may put it off a week) and we both have cats. Mine is almost 13 but you'd never guess it, and his is just over a year. I want to do proper cat introductions - my cat has lived with other cats plenty of times in his life, but I've never done the introductions the right way. It worked out fine when he was younger and the cats just played together, and then other cats have belonged to roommates so they each had their own space. These cats are both attached to us - mine especially is a total mama's boy and likes to be near me all the time.

My concern is that to do proper introductions, we're supposed to lock one cat up in a room by him/herself. That's fine if it's a new cat, but it doesn't seem very nice when both cats are established and attached. Whomever gets locked up will be missing his/her human. :(

Oreohead (my cat) is not aggressive. He'll yowl and take a few swipes at a new cat, but if that cat stands their ground, he goes away and sulks. Boyfriend's cat (Banana) is super playful and loves everyone, isn't scared of anything. Boyfriend's young son can pick her up and tote her around and although she will bite either of us adults if she gets overstimulated or feisty, she seems to understand she shouldn't bite the little ones (there's also a 4 year old; Banana is very tolerant of both kids). She's not long out of the shelter, either, where she shared a small cage with 2 other cats.

Point being, is it absolutely horribly horrible to just do one night sniffing at the door, then let them visit? With their personalities I can't help feeling like Banana will just keep trying to play with Oreohead until he gives in and plays... it just breaks my heart to think of locking my baby in a room, but since we're moving into Banana's apartment, it's not fair to lock her up, either.

Stairs
Oct 13, 2004

baxxy posted:

I'm moving in with my boyfriend soon (as in, maybe tonight, but I may put it off a week) and we both have cats. Mine is almost 13 but you'd never guess it, and his is just over a year. I want to do proper cat introductions - my cat has lived with other cats plenty of times in his life, but I've never done the introductions the right way. It worked out fine when he was younger and the cats just played together, and then other cats have belonged to roommates so they each had their own space. These cats are both attached to us - mine especially is a total mama's boy and likes to be near me all the time.

My concern is that to do proper introductions, we're supposed to lock one cat up in a room by him/herself. That's fine if it's a new cat, but it doesn't seem very nice when both cats are established and attached. Whomever gets locked up will be missing his/her human. :(

Oreohead (my cat) is not aggressive. He'll yowl and take a few swipes at a new cat, but if that cat stands their ground, he goes away and sulks. Boyfriend's cat (Banana) is super playful and loves everyone, isn't scared of anything. Boyfriend's young son can pick her up and tote her around and although she will bite either of us adults if she gets overstimulated or feisty, she seems to understand she shouldn't bite the little ones (there's also a 4 year old; Banana is very tolerant of both kids). She's not long out of the shelter, either, where she shared a small cage with 2 other cats.

Point being, is it absolutely horribly horrible to just do one night sniffing at the door, then let them visit? With their personalities I can't help feeling like Banana will just keep trying to play with Oreohead until he gives in and plays... it just breaks my heart to think of locking my baby in a room, but since we're moving into Banana's apartment, it's not fair to lock her up, either.

Maybe put off a move for a few days and in the meantime bring over some stuff that smells of Oreohead like toys, or a cat bed, so Banana can adjust to his smell. Do the same at your place with Banana's stuff. Get all your bedroom stuff into the new bedroom over those few days, while the cats stay at their own homes. Then on move day, if you have an ensuite bathroom keep them in the bedroom/bathroom or the bedroom closet/bedroom while you guys move in everything else so they won't have to be in the rooms where all the loud noises and activity are and Oreohead will have a room full of your smells to make him feel a little safer meeting the scary new cat across the door from him.

It really won't kill your kitty to let it be in a room without you for a day or so. It's also worth whatever stress it may or may not cause to prevent the cats from unexpectedly fighting because they got thrown together too fast.

Stairs fucked around with this message at 18:01 on Apr 3, 2014

baxxy
Feb 18, 2005

You tried your best and you failed miserably. The lesson is 'never try'. -homer simpson

Stairs posted:

Maybe put off a move for a few days and in the meantime bring over some stuff that smells of Oreohead like toys, or a cat bed, so Banana can adjust to his smell. Do the same at your place with Banana's stuff. Get all your bedroom stuff into the new bedroom over those few days, while the cats stay at their own homes. Then on move day, if you have an ensuite bathroom keep them in the bedroom/bathroom or the bedroom closet/bedroom while you guys move in everything else so they won't have to be in the rooms where all the loud noises and activity are and Oreohead will have a room full of your smells to make him feel a little safer meeting the scary new cat across the door from him.

It really won't kill your kitty to let it be in a room without you for a day or so. It's also worth whatever stress it may or may not cause to prevent the cats from unexpectedly fighting because they got thrown together too fast.

I know it won't; he's been sick the last year (IBD) so I'm a bit more mama hen about him lately. In the end, I realize I'm being a little ridiculous. :)

Banana has already inherited most of Oreohead's old toys, so I think she's good on scent. They each have the same fleecey blanket that they sleep on, so I'll swap those. That will be a good start. Thanks for the idea!

Ginny
Sep 29, 2007
3,2,1 Let's Jam!
I live in a small studio apartment, and I have a five month old kitten. I found her outside my office just walking and fell in love, she was around 4 months then.

So naturally, she's had a taste of the outside life, and now I feel very guilty of having her locked up 24/7. I only have window doors that lead to a balcony, and I'm very afraid of her falling. So I close them, it's driving me a bit crazy as well since I don't have fresh air either!

I understand I may be over protective, but this is my first pet (by myself) and if she falls it will be completely on me. So I get really nervous when I leave her out. She's also veeery crazy and runs to the connecting neighbors balcony.

I've tried with a harness, but that doesn't eliminate the need of me looking after her and I can tell she doesn't enjoy it very much. I'm now thinking about building a net around the whole balcony, if it's possible to do so.

Am I worrying too much? Or feeling guilty with no reason? I guess what I'm looking for is some reassurance that my cat is not unhappy...

Note: I try to play with her as much as I can, but I do work around 8 to 10 hours, so she's alone for most of the day. I can't have another cat (to keep her company) because it would be too much. :(

Any advice? Maybe someone that also lives in a very small apartment with an overly excited kitten.

aghastly
Nov 1, 2010

i'm an instant star
just add water and stir
I'm in the same boat you are, but Toast was much, much younger when he was rescued — like, only 6 weeks old — so he's been an indoor cat way longer than he's been an outdoor cat. A number of different reasons keep me from getting a second cat right now.

I live in a third-story apartment with a balcony that I can't net in, though, so I keep him indoors 24/7. What I do is I make sure there's plenty for him to do while I'm at work. I hide his food in different areas of the apartment for him to sniff out, and I've got two or three puzzle toys that I fill with his favorite treats.

Honestly, though, both our cats probably just laze around while we're at work, and save their energy to be crazy while we're here. Toast is 10 months old now, and that's pretty much his MO as far as I can tell.

Canadian Bakin
Nov 6, 2011

Retaliate first.
Cats sleep for a good portion of the day. I've read articles that suggest they sleep for upwards to 16+ hours a day. They're happy to just snuggle up to something warm and doze while you're at work. Most often, I get home to find our two cats sleeping on our bed.
Make sure your new friend has a good selection of toys, perhaps something to perch on near a window for quality cat TV. And play lots when you get home. The balcony net idea has merit. Make sure it's okay with your landlord first, though.

In other news, our local SPCA and a couple rescues are hosting a free microchip clinic, open to all cat owners with no limit on number of cats. I'm taking my pair in as this is a splendid opportunity. They're strictly indoors in an apartment but I feel it's worth the peace of mind just in case they do somehow get outside.

The fuzzy butts in question, because one can never show off their cats enough:

Nickelodeon Household
Apr 11, 2010

I like chocolate MIIIILK

Canadian Bakin posted:

Cats sleep for a good portion of the day. I've read articles that suggest they sleep for upwards to 16+ hours a day. They're happy to just snuggle up to something warm and doze while you're at work. Most often, I get home to find our two cats sleeping on our bed.
Make sure your new friend has a good selection of toys, perhaps something to perch on near a window for quality cat TV. And play lots when you get home. The balcony net idea has merit. Make sure it's okay with your landlord first, though.

Seconding this. I work from home and my cats spend the entire day either sleeping or staring out the window--especially if it's nice out and I open it.

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

Ginny posted:

I live in a small studio apartment, and I have a five month old kitten. I found her outside my office just walking and fell in love, she was around 4 months then.

So naturally, she's had a taste of the outside life, and now I feel very guilty of having her locked up 24/7. I only have window doors that lead to a balcony, and I'm very afraid of her falling. So I close them, it's driving me a bit crazy as well since I don't have fresh air either!

I understand I may be over protective, but this is my first pet (by myself) and if she falls it will be completely on me. So I get really nervous when I leave her out. She's also veeery crazy and runs to the connecting neighbors balcony.

I've tried with a harness, but that doesn't eliminate the need of me looking after her and I can tell she doesn't enjoy it very much. I'm now thinking about building a net around the whole balcony, if it's possible to do so.

Am I worrying too much? Or feeling guilty with no reason? I guess what I'm looking for is some reassurance that my cat is not unhappy...

Note: I try to play with her as much as I can, but I do work around 8 to 10 hours, so she's alone for most of the day. I can't have another cat (to keep her company) because it would be too much. :(

Any advice? Maybe someone that also lives in a very small apartment with an overly excited kitten.

Do you have screens for your windows or doorways? Also, don't let your cat out if it's going to gently caress with the neighbors.

DNS
Mar 11, 2009

by Smythe
Hey guys one of my cats has been making GBS threads on the floor for the past 3 months and I'm going insane. I've had him since early 2011, he's about five years old and he's a former stray with FIV. He seems healthy and happy. The floor making GBS threads seemed to coincide with me trying a new type of cat litter a few months back, and I assumed going back to the old litter (Publix scoopable) would fix it. But he's just kept the habit up. Since then I've tried Cat Attract litter (he ignores it), I've tried laying newspaper on the living room floor (he paws it around until there's a bare spot, which he then shits on and then covers with the newspaper), I've tried spending more time with him (I'm allergic to cats so I keep them out of my room so I can have a sneeze-free sanctuary from them, but I tried a couple weeks of letting them in there all the time and sleeping with them) and getting a second litterbox (I have 2 cats so it was probably a good idea anyway) and scooping twice a day. Getting the new box alleviated the problem for a couple weeks, but then he started floorshitting again once or twice a week and now it's happening every day again. I scoop constantly and I just changed the litter yesterday (he poo poo on the floor this morning). Sometimes he tries to cover his shits with dead leaves that have been tracked in, I get the feeling that he'd like to poo poo outside, but that ain't happening pal.

The good news is he still pees in the box. I've only caught him in the act of floorshitting once, I heard him scratching around the floor in preparation to poo poo and I was able to pick him up mid-poo poo and place him in the box, where he finished the poo poo and immediately ran out without covering it. Should I take him to the vet and see if something's wrong? Maybe I'm a huge retard and that's what I should've done first, but it seems like the only option left now.

Stairs
Oct 13, 2004

DNS posted:

Hey guys one of my cats has been making GBS threads on the floor for the past 3 months and I'm going insane. I've had him since early 2011, he's about five years old and he's a former stray with FIV. He seems healthy and happy. The floor making GBS threads seemed to coincide with me trying a new type of cat litter a few months back, and I assumed going back to the old litter (Publix scoopable) would fix it. But he's just kept the habit up. Since then I've tried Cat Attract litter (he ignores it), I've tried laying newspaper on the living room floor (he paws it around until there's a bare spot, which he then shits on and then covers with the newspaper), I've tried spending more time with him (I'm allergic to cats so I keep them out of my room so I can have a sneeze-free sanctuary from them, but I tried a couple weeks of letting them in there all the time and sleeping with them) and getting a second litterbox (I have 2 cats so it was probably a good idea anyway) and scooping twice a day. Getting the new box alleviated the problem for a couple weeks, but then he started floorshitting again once or twice a week and now it's happening every day again. I scoop constantly and I just changed the litter yesterday (he poo poo on the floor this morning). Sometimes he tries to cover his shits with dead leaves that have been tracked in, I get the feeling that he'd like to poo poo outside, but that ain't happening pal.

The good news is he still pees in the box. I've only caught him in the act of floorshitting once, I heard him scratching around the floor in preparation to poo poo and I was able to pick him up mid-poo poo and place him in the box, where he finished the poo poo and immediately ran out without covering it. Should I take him to the vet and see if something's wrong? Maybe I'm a huge retard and that's what I should've done first, but it seems like the only option left now.

Definitely take him to the vet. It sounds like he has associated pooping in the box with pain, so he may have had or may be currently experiencing rectal issues. If its always the same spot also try cleaning it with an enzyme cleaner and place a litter box in there. Floor making GBS threads is a hard habit to break (I had one that was making GBS threads on the couch) but its possible with a lot of experimenting and a vet check.

DNS
Mar 11, 2009

by Smythe

Stairs posted:

Definitely take him to the vet. It sounds like he has associated pooping in the box with pain, so he may have had or may be currently experiencing rectal issues. If its always the same spot also try cleaning it with an enzyme cleaner and place a litter box in there. Floor making GBS threads is a hard habit to break (I had one that was making GBS threads on the couch) but its possible with a lot of experimenting and a vet check.

drat, okay, definitely taking him to the vet then. Thanks for the advice. It's not always in the same spot, more the same area (like 1/6th of the living room's floorspace). I spent a while yesterday using up a bottle of Nature's Miracle trying to clean the turds out of the wood before putting the box down in the area and filling it with Cat Attract.

The Southern Dandy
Jun 15, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT MY RADLEY-WALTERS' MEDAL

Is that medal for being the most intolerable poster in a thread about Warhammer 40.000 novels? Because if it is, you sure blew the competition out of the water, son.
My little 13 year old tuxedo "Muffin" died last night. I woke up this morning and found her under my recliner unresponsive to pets and name calling.

She'd had kidney problems the last few months, and was a gentle, sweet cat. I'll miss her terribly.

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

ALL ABOARD THE SCOTLAND HYPE TRAIN!

CHOO CHOO

The Southern Dandy posted:

My little 13 year old tuxedo "Muffin" died last night. I woke up this morning and found her under my recliner unresponsive to pets and name calling.

She'd had kidney problems the last few months, and was a gentle, sweet cat. I'll miss her terribly.

Condolences. All cats go to heaven.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride
Godspeed Muffin.

bone app the teeth
May 14, 2008

Another update on Ellie. She's doing great. Seems way more relaxed and is playing more consistently. She has a ton of energy for being 3 but at least now I can expel it better.

One thing I'm noticing is she isn't taking well to the scheduled feeding times. She seems to want to eat and then stop and eat again a few minutes later. It takes her over an hour to clear her bowl. I've tried taking it away but it ends up with her still being hungry and chewing on things she shouldn't be (cables). Is it best to just serve her and leave it for the day or be consistent about removing the food after 15 min?

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

flare posted:

Another update on Ellie. She's doing great. Seems way more relaxed and is playing more consistently. She has a ton of energy for being 3 but at least now I can expel it better.

One thing I'm noticing is she isn't taking well to the scheduled feeding times. She seems to want to eat and then stop and eat again a few minutes later. It takes her over an hour to clear her bowl. I've tried taking it away but it ends up with her still being hungry and chewing on things she shouldn't be (cables). Is it best to just serve her and leave it for the day or be consistent about removing the food after 15 min?

I guess that depends on the cat. Two of our cats are fine with free feeding and will nibble a little at a time all day long. The third will eat everything in sight and then puke, so we have to control her portions and availability.

A compromise might be to have dry food available all day long, and canned food only at specific times. Do what works for you and your cat.

bone app the teeth
May 14, 2008

Deteriorata posted:

I guess that depends on the cat. Two of our cats are fine with free feeding and will nibble a little at a time all day long. The third will eat everything in sight and then puke, so we have to control her portions and availability.

A compromise might be to have dry food available all day long, and canned food only at specific times. Do what works for you and your cat.

Yeah she's completely fine with free feeding I've just read a lot about the downsides. I think I'll leave food out for now I think.

Moral
Feb 9, 2014

I'm not really sure what I'm doing.
So I just put my deposit down for a Bengal kitten. However I'm slightly concerned over one aspect. We have three dogs, and they get along with cats fine so I'm not worried about that. However we have a fenced in back yard that they play in, and they get out via a doggy door we have installed in our back door. I'm worried that the kitten will eventually realize it leads outside and go out it and someone will steal her. Is there anything I can do keep her away from the doggy door.

I suppose worst case scenario I could buy a newer one where the dogs have to have a collar when they go up to the door but if there's another way I would love to hear it as those are rather steep in price.

Topoisomerase
Apr 12, 2007

CULTURE OF VICIOUSNESS

Moral posted:

So I just put my deposit down for a Bengal kitten. However I'm slightly concerned over one aspect. We have three dogs, and they get along with cats fine so I'm not worried about that. However we have a fenced in back yard that they play in, and they get out via a doggy door we have installed in our back door. I'm worried that the kitten will eventually realize it leads outside and go out it and someone will steal her. Is there anything I can do keep her away from the doggy door.

Probably not.

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

Moral posted:

I suppose worst case scenario I could buy a newer one where the dogs have to have a collar when they go up to the door but if there's another way I would love to hear it as those are rather steep in price.

This is about the only way, and its not foolproof either.

Syntax Erin
Jan 1, 2012

Moral posted:

Is there anything I can do keep her away from the doggy door.

A Bengal? Nope.

baxxy
Feb 18, 2005

flare posted:

Yeah she's completely fine with free feeding I've just read a lot about the downsides. I think I'll leave food out for now I think.

My cat has been free fed all his life, and is nearing 13. Just keep an eye on her weight and it should be fine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ToastFaceKillah
Dec 25, 2010

every day could be your last
in the jungle

Moral posted:

Get rid of the door if you want to keep the cat. I have a cat door on my bedroom door that mine has figured out how to unlock from the outside. He had the lock figured out from the inside in a matter of days. He is incredibly good at getting in and out of places he isn't supposed to be.

Even if you get one of the expensive doors, there is a good chance yours will figure out that it can get through just by following one of the dogs closely. Or just make the door lead to a sturdy screened in area. Preferably one close to a bird feeder.