Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

STAC Goat posted:

I do kind of dislike Cochran but you're right, he obviously played a strong enough social game that he was trusted with information and allies. Like I said, I may not have liked him or enjoyed his game but I'd never say it was undeserving. Do I think he got lucky with his place in the game and cast he had? Yes. Do I think others in the same situation had a harder road because they posed more obvious threats than him? Absolutely. But he still pulled it off. That's something Dawn couldn't do. Obviously he outplayed her at the very least. It takes no small amount of gamesmanship to navigate Survivor even if you catch every break in the book. Even if you're handed every break there is you still have to not screw it up, and Cochran at least won a couple of challenges and factored into a couple of important moves.

I just think Cochran got a relative "easy" path to there, "easy" of course being a poor word for what is a ridiculously difficult thing. Placed on a dominate tribe, that formed a dominate majority alliance, and there were half a dozen obvious threats being targeted the whole post merge game. Cochran was able to lay low and take advantage of these opportune breaks. But he DID take advantage of them and pull it off. He navigated the complicated social and strategic nature of the game as well as the rigorous physical, emotional, and psychological aspects of the game. So I'm not saying he's undeserving. I'm just saying all wins aren't created equal and Cochran would probably rank fairly low on my list of winners' games (In all honesty I just don't have a good enough memory of most past seasons to give fair evaluation of every winner since I've only seen each season once).
He may have had an easier, cleaner road than most, I certainly agree that's possible. But I also think he came about as close to a "perfect game" as you can get. He's not the only one to have done that, but he is one of the people who has. If you rewatch that season, you'll find he was in total control from surprisingly close to the beginning. If you watch it again, knowing he wins, just look at how completely all-powerful he is in that season.

And yes, Parvati is the greatest of all time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

Also, there's definitely meta-game to Survivor. The first season someone plays is pure, but repeat seasons, depending on what people know about you, can add additional hurdles. Just look at what happened to Rob C. and Tina.

Sandra went into HvV as just a random winner. Parvati went in as one of the scariest and most dangerous players. That gives Parvati a far more difficult path to the end than it gives Sandra. This is the same reason why Tony, with all his idiotically brilliant moves, will be at a huge disadvantage when they bring him back.

In this way, Boston Rob bringing everyone on board and playing the good-guy-alliance-leader for the Villains in HvV, after what he did in All-Stars? Unreal. But Tyson blew it and Rob had to win in a later season, and in that season, he had his Good Guy HvV persona to work with. That made his win much easier... At the same time, his HvV loss was way more impressive than it seemed. It just took another attempt to pay off, due to no fault of his own. Either way, he's an absolute stud at Survivor.

Fast Luck fucked around with this message at 03:03 on Apr 5, 2014

Zarrr
Oct 1, 2001

STAC Goat posted:

I've never actually seen Boston Rob's win but I think in general he deserves the credit he gets as one of the best players, "it took four tries" notwithstanding. I thought he played a pretty good game in Marquesas and got screwed by a twist even if he arguably made a mistake going the lazy route early and weakening his tribe. I thought his All Stars game was masterful even though it ultimately ended up him playing for Amber's win, but its clear at some stage he recognized that and was willing to kamikaze his game to get her there. In Heroes vs Villains he seemed to be doing a pretty drat good job managing the insane egos and treachery of the Villains including two mega powers in Parv and Russell until Tyson and Coach screwed it up. Just on those three "losses" I think he has one of the most impressive bodies of work of any non-winner in Survivor history. He wouldn't be my #1 but he'd probably be in contention for that #2 spot behind Parv.
I'd say Rob is better. His winning season is never given enough credit around here. Getting the jury to award the money to a four time player who already engineered his wife winning a million? Pretty hard to top. Plus he was totally and utterly in control of the original Allstars season and essentially got incredibly unlucky in HvV.

Parvati is great, but my money would be on Rob in a rematch.

DurosKlav
Jun 13, 2003

Enter your name pilot!

He got the win because he got the team full of people who were there for a vacation and not to play Survivor. I admit I've never been a Boston Rob fan but come on his tribe was full of worshipers and not players.

DurosKlav fucked around with this message at 04:24 on Apr 5, 2014

Zarrr
Oct 1, 2001

DurosKlav posted:

He got the win because he got the team full of people who were there for a vacation and not to play Survivor.
I would say no more so than any other season. Rob took out his only opposition (Francesca, Kristina, Matt) early and built the rest into a cult. There's plenty of followers in any season. Also Andrea is savvy.

Bjay9
May 3, 2011

Kid, touch is for video games and gynecologists

DurosKlav posted:

He got the win because he got the team full of people who were there for a vacation and not to play Survivor. I admit I've never been a Boston Rob fan but come on his tribe was full of worshipers and not players.

It also has to do a lot with what Zarrr is saying. Rob would have recognized early that say someone like Ralph, who was in clear opposition of Russell, had to be the first to go so they couldn't create chaos. Also Rob and Russell aren't the same type of player, I think if you switched tribes that season Russell still goes early because people knew that he was a poo poo disturber.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

Zarrr posted:

I would say no more so than any other season. Rob took out his only opposition (Francesca, Kristina, Matt) early and built the rest into a cult. There's plenty of followers in any season. Also Andrea is savvy.

I haven't rewatched the season since it first aired, but I remember Andrea sipping the kool-aid just like everyone else until she got sent to RI. I might be remembering wrong, though.

Rob's original tribe had 2 people trying to win the game and a gaggle of hypnotized starfuckers. I found it interesting that neither the Boston Rob/Hantz nor Ozzy/Coach seasons had a tribe swap pre-merge, but it's more likely because both had Redemption Island in play than :tinfoil: INFLUENCE OF PRODUCERS :tinfoil:.

Boston Rob's win is like a less skillful version of Kim's win on One World because they both had the same strategy, but Kim had to do it without 40+ days of practice on the island.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!
Kim is a pretty underrated winner and had one of the more dominant wins we've seen in a while. Also a serious contender for the most boring winner of all time, but that's more a testament to her skill than a knock on her. Dull as dishwater, and that's what you want if you're winning on Survivor.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!

BGrifter posted:

Kim is a pretty underrated winner and had one of the more dominant wins we've seen in a while. Also a serious contender for the most boring winner of all time, but that's more a testament to her skill than a knock on her. Dull as dishwater, and that's what you want if you're winning on Survivor.

This is what I wanted to say. It's no discredit to Kim that her season sucked. I'd love to see her come back against veterans.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
I've always wanted to see the person who was the natural swing vote at the merge just end up getting voted out themselves. Not for any gameplay reason (I mean I can't see how it's anything but incredibly risky at best, with an incredibly high likelyhood of being game-ending in most other scenarios), just because I thought it would be funny. It was.

Rick fucked around with this message at 09:34 on Apr 5, 2014

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

It didn't happen at the merge but that's what happened to Christy in Amazon. She was the swing between Jenna's crew and Rob's crew but she reveled a bit too much in it and refused to pick a side so Rob just turned it on her and made it an easy vote for everyone.

JesusSinfulHands
Oct 24, 2007
Sartre and Russell are my heroes
I think Matt Elrod in Redemption Island was kinda similar to Sarah in this ep. Swing vote/kinda in the middle at the merge, one alliance gets sick of his or her poo poo and just decides to take 'em out instead.

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

Interesting tidbit on Samoa from RHAP: Laura Morett said going into the final tribal, most of the jury was planning on voting for Mick, not Natalie. She turned them all with her final speech whereas Mick couldn't explain anything he did.

Metropolis
Apr 6, 2006
Can you "play" an idol for somebody else? I thought you could either give it to someone else for them to use how they see fit, or use it yourself. I mean in LJ's position this time I doubt he'd say "thanks Tony I'mma keep that idol bro" but I can imagine where someone would do that.

Unmerciful
Sep 14, 2008

Fast Luck posted:

Interesting tidbit on Samoa from RHAP: Laura Morett said going into the final tribal, most of the jury was planning on voting for Mick, not Natalie. She turned them all with her final speech whereas Mick couldn't explain anything he did.

Jesus... as bad a winner as Natalie was, Mick would have been even worse...

Could barely listen to that podcast, I can't stand Luara - she's completely delusional and still has a disgustingly condescending attitude towards Shambo

Also hate it when people give Ciara props for pulling rocks when she never would have been in that position if she had just sided with Hayden's side at the previous tribal - instead, it took Jeff to get her to realize she was on the bottom of Tyson's 4 to get her to flip way too late

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Pulling rocks was her best move at that time and took balls of steel.

That doesn't mean she wasn't an idiot for all the missed opportunities to flip before that moment, though. But you can't undo mistakes. All you can do is make the best move going forward.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!

Unmerciful posted:

Jesus... as bad a winner as Natalie was, Mick would have been even worse...

Could barely listen to that podcast, I can't stand Luara - she's completely delusional and still has a disgustingly condescending attitude towards Shambo

Also hate it when people give Ciara props for pulling rocks when she never would have been in that position if she had just sided with Hayden's side at the previous tribal - instead, it took Jeff to get her to realize she was on the bottom of Tyson's 4 to get her to flip way too late

Yeah I rarely miss a RHAP interview podcast but Luara is probably going to be the first one I've skipped since I shut off the last Sandra appearance.

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

http://survivorgifs.tumblr.com/post/70044911346

Ror
Oct 21, 2010

😸Everything's 🗞️ purrfect!💯🤟

Oh my god I forgot about the "Russell" part of it, holy poo poo :roflolmao:

I love when the players try to push Survivor into a straight up farce.

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

LET ME EXPLAIN TO YOU WHY YOU ARE WRONG ABOUT EVERYTHING
Question for people who have seen most/all seasons of Survivor:

If you were to put together a cast composed of returning players who have never returned before (ie, this would be their second game of Survivor), and winners were off limits, who would you cast?

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

18 players, 9 men, 9 women?

s1 Colleen Haskell
s4 John Carroll
s10 Ian Rosenberger
s12 Shane Powers
s14 Dreamz Herd
s14 Michelle Yi
s18 Stephen Fishbach
s21 Marty Piombo
s22 Stephanie Valencia
s24 Troyzan Robertson
s24 Alicia Rosa
s25 Abi-Maria Gomes
s26 Reynold Toepfer
s27 Marissa Peterson
s27 Ciera Eastin
s27 Hayden Moss
s28 Tasha Fox
s28 Morgan McLeod

Capsaicin
Nov 17, 2004

broof roof roof
^^^ Edit: Absolutely Troyzan, Shane Powers, and Reynold.

Spatula City posted:

If you were to put together a cast composed of returning players who have never returned before (ie, this would be their second game of Survivor), and winners were off limits, who would you cast?

Marty, Frosti, two of Woo/Tony/Spencer, Shambo, Twila, OLYMPIC MEDALIST CRYSTAL....

The Fuzzy Hulk
Nov 22, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT CROSSING THE STREAMS

Capsaicin posted:

^^^ Edit: Absolutely Troyzan, Shane Powers, and Reynold.

Marty, Frosti, two of Woo/Tony/Spencer, Shambo, Twila, OLYMPIC MEDALIST CRYSTAL....

She got that title stripped in 2010 when she admitted to using steroids in the olympics.

Kin33
Jul 3, 2007

Where is your god now?
Ken Hoang
Matty Whitmore
Tony Vlachos
Hayden Moss
Judd SergeantShane Powers
Reynold Toepfer
Troy "Troyzan" Robertson
Marty Piombo
Rafe Judkins

Abi-Maria Gomes
Roberta "RC" Saint-Amour
Erinn Lobdell
Crystal Cox
Natalie Bolton
Courtney Marit
Stephanie Valencia
Ciera Eastin
Kassandra "Kass" McQuillen

Kin33 fucked around with this message at 04:13 on Apr 6, 2014

Metropolis
Apr 6, 2006
Was OLYMPIC MEDALIST CRYSTAL the one who was underwhelming in physical challenges?

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

Metropolis posted:

Was OLYMPIC MEDALIST CRYSTAL the one who was underwhelming in physical challenges?

http://funny115.com/v2/28.htm

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!
Removing winners from the pool makes it really uninteresting considering there are so many good winners many of whom would totally play again. (I believe Kim Spradlin said she would, I know Todd Herzog would, Yul would love to if he could fit it into his busy schedule but that seemed unlikely when Rob C interviewed him)

Shane Powers, Marty Piambo, Reynold and Stephen Fishbach are the gimmies. After that it thins out considerably.

For the rest of the men:
Hayden Moss
Troyzan
Jeff Varner from Australian Outback
Robb Zbacnik from Thailand (Robb Z would be required to bring his skateboard to the beach again)

For the women:
Christy Smith from Amazon
Lydia the Fishmonger from Guatemala
Lisi "Tighty Whities" Linares from Fiji
Peih-Gee from China
Natalie Bolton from Micronesia
Taj from Tocantins
Shambo (another obvious must)
Rachel from Blood vs Water

I avoided going with cruel gag casting like Wanda from Palau or Kathy from Micronesia.

Edit: ooh I missed Rafe from Guatemala. Definitely replace comedy pick Robb Z with him.

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

I had Matty on my list but ended up bumping him... couldn't find room for Frosti either, even though both of them are good choices. Not having Tony on my list was probably a mistake. Of all the people Parvati used her wiles on, I think Natalie Bolton is the person who was seduced most completely, haha.

Kin33 posted:

Ken Hoang
Matty Whitmore
Tony Vlachos
Hayden Moss
Judd Sergeant
Reynold Toepfer
Troy "Troyzan" Robertson
Marty Piombo
Rafe Judkins

Abi-Maria Gomes
Roberta "RC" Saint-Amour
Erinn Lobdell
Crystal Cox
Natalie Bolton
Courtney Marit
Stephanie Valencia
Ciera Eastin
Kassandra "Kass" McQuillen
You can't bring back Courtney without Shane!

Metropolis
Apr 6, 2006

That's amazing. All I could remember was her being bad at climbing a hill somehow.

Kin33
Jul 3, 2007

Where is your god now?

Fast Luck posted:

I had Matty on my list but ended up bumping him... couldn't find room for Frosti either, even though both of them are good choices. Not having Tony on my list was probably a mistake. Of all the people Parvati used her wiles on, I think Natalie Bolton is the person who was seduced most completely, haha.

You can't bring back Courtney without Shane!

Oh poo poo I delete him by mistake instead of Judd when making my shortlist.

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

Metropolis posted:

That's amazing. All I could remember was her being bad at climbing a hill somehow.
Crystal holding the poles was the funniest one, Jeff says "go" and they fell exactly then and there.

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

What's wrong with all of you.

Aerox
Jan 8, 2012

Spatula City posted:

This is my dream list, excluding previous winners:

Colleen Haskell (S1)
Kelly Goldsmith (S3)
Tammy Leitner (S4)
Helen Glover (S5)
Deena Bennett (S6)
Peih-Gee Law (S15)
Taj Johnson-George (S18)
NaOnka Mixon (S21) [Come on, it would be hilarious.]

Frank Garrison (S3)
Matt von Ertfelda (S6)
Rafe Judkins (S11)
Edgardo Rivera (S14)
Ken Hoang (S17)
Stephen Fishbach (S18)
Tarzan Smith (S24)
Tony Vlachos (S28, assuming he doesn't win)

I have weird Survivor favorites. If winners were in, I'd definitely want to see Kim and Todd again.

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova
Helen Glover is a good choice that I probably would actually include over Elisabeth, but I feel like I have to take advantage of this fantasyland where I can make whoever return. One of the few quotes that has stuck with me from earlier seasons is when she and Jan got lost on the boat or something, and she said "If I had a gun, I would have shot her first and shot me second...that's why I don't carry a gun."

As for my hypothetical cast:

Elisabeth Hasselbeck (S2)
Teresa Cooper (S3)
Courtney Marit (S12)
Peih-Gee Law (S15)
Natalie Bolton (S16)
Crystal Cox (S17)
Jane Bright (S21)
Abi-Maria Gomes (S25)
Tasha Fox (S28)

Alternate if Tasha wins this season: Kass McQuillen (S28)

Greg Buis (S1)
Clarence Black (S3)
Sean Rector (S4)
Judd Sergeant (S11)
Shane Powers (S12)
Cao Boi Bui (S13)
Dan Kay (S17)
Brad Culpepper (S27)
Woo Hwang (S28)

Alternate if Woo wins this season: Robb Zbacnik (S5)

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

Pinterest Mom posted:

What's wrong with all of you.

That's not how her name is spelled??????

Ror
Oct 21, 2010

😸Everything's 🗞️ purrfect!💯🤟

Sierra declined a spot on HvV.

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova
Sierra Reed, from Tocantins. She was on my short list because I clearly love crazy people. I think there's still a lot of untapped potential in Tocantins for a season that's had 5 returnee seasons; I would be excited to see any of Sierra, Taj, Erinn and Debbie come back, and while I don't like him as much I'm shocked that they haven't brought Stephen back.

ColdBlooded
Jul 15, 2001

Ask me how to run a good team into the ground.
Needs more Laura Alexander from Caramoan.

Seriously, she was a legit fan and had a mind for the game, but she kind of got screwed with Shamar quitting. As long she learnt how to swim, she'd be perfect.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE
In this hypothetical season it seems far more likely that there would be 20 players.

I want that tattooed guy who got voted out first in Phillipines back - zane wasn't it? If we can include players from this season Tony and Spencer would be nice. I also wouldn't mind seeing Sherri from Caramoan again.

A thought occurred to me the other day as to what might make for an awesome all stars season. Get the producers to contact every former survivor player and check to see if they are willing to do another season. Once you have a list of all players willing to come back, put the list online and let the public vote to determine who gets cast.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

ColdBlooded posted:

Needs more Laura Alexander from Caramoan.

Seriously, she was a legit fan and had a mind for the game, but she kind of got screwed with Shamar quitting. As long she learnt how to swim, she'd be perfect.
How do you even remember someone like that?

• Locked thread