Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"

PunkBoy posted:

Definitely agree that the fight scenes were pretty awesome, and I got to continue to play my game of "spot pro wrestling moves." Cap pulls off a pretty nice Shining Wizard and German Suplex.

Just got back from watching it, I can't believe you missed the rolling sobat!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Angry Walrus
Aug 31, 2013

Quinn it
to
Win it.

jimcunningham posted:

I now like Black Widow. In Iron Man and Avengers every other shot was her jumping and taking someone down and going into that half prone landing and then looking up dramatically. She is now a fleshed out character and I love it. Cant wait for GotG.

PS what was the pulp fiction reference?

It was just a throwaway reference to Jackson's character in Pulp Fiction's fictitious bible quote.

Dacap
Jul 8, 2008

I've been involved in a number of cults, both as a leader and a follower.

You have more fun as a follower. But you make more money as a leader.

jimcunningham posted:

I now like Black Widow. In Iron Man and Avengers every other shot was her jumping and taking someone down and going into that half prone landing and then looking up dramatically. She is now a fleshed out character and I love it. Cant wait for GotG.

I'm just glad she didn't say "red in my ledger" once.

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

You wanna get through this?

AnonSpore posted:

Just got back from watching it, I can't believe you missed the rolling sobat!

Aw, drat, I knew I missed some! I also remember both Cap and Black Widow doing lucha jumping snapmares. Speaking of Black Widow, I was a little surprised at how she was the one making a lot of the jokes and humor in the movie. From what little I understand of the character in the comics, she seemed to be more of a stoic, cold, humorless character. Regardless, I really enjoyed Scarlett Johansen's performance, and I really liked the humor she brought.

Nadir
Apr 12, 2003

It's only up from here

Angry Walrus posted:

It was just a throwaway reference to Jackson's character in Pulp Fiction's fictitious bible quote.
On Nick Fury's tombstone, it has his name and below it a biblical quote

"Ezekiel 25:17: The path of the righteous man..."

I laughed when I saw it :)

goldenoreos
Jan 5, 2012

Take care of my animals while I'm gone

Waterhaul posted:

Smart thing would have been to actually name them.

I don't think naming them was necessary since the mid credits scenes tend to appeal more to the comic readers in the audience. Showing off their powers was necessary and I'm glad they did that

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
Not sure how talked about it's been, but the animation for the end credits was superb. I really loved it.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.
An explanation of what the hell Hawkeye was up to would be nice, because his absence really was sort of glaring from the movie. Maybe the other SHIELD agent Avenger would have been interested in those goings-on? Possibly?

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
I noticed while watching TWS that the guy who did the Asian security council member for the Marvelverse was Lau from The Dark Knight and now I'm wondering how I never noticed before.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer

PunkBoy posted:

Aw, drat, I knew I missed some! I also remember both Cap and Black Widow doing lucha jumping snapmares. Speaking of Black Widow, I was a little surprised at how she was the one making a lot of the jokes and humor in the movie. From what little I understand of the character in the comics, she seemed to be more of a stoic, cold, humorless character. Regardless, I really enjoyed Scarlett Johansen's performance, and I really liked the humor she brought.

Yeah, this is where it's hard to be a comic fan watching the movie. I really liked her performance, which I have not in her previous outings as BW. But the movie character is so different from the comic character that it kind of rubs me the wrong way.

Dacap
Jul 8, 2008

CapnAndy posted:

An explanation of what the hell Hawkeye was up to would be nice, because his absence really was sort of glaring from the movie. Maybe the other SHIELD agent Avenger would have been interested in those goings-on? Possibly?

Avengers 2 more than likely answers this. Realistically SHIELD is probably going to have some of their agents overseas on missions instead of hanging around their headquarters all the time.

DFu4ever
Oct 4, 2002

CapnAndy posted:

Once the poo poo hit the fan (Fury getting shot)only like two days at most passed, right? If Hawkeye was in the field he might not be in any position to receive that info or to respond, especially if the higher ups didn't want certain agents alerted.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

CapnAndy posted:

We have all agreed that he was busy catching up on Dog Cops, and I'll hear no contradictions.

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

theflyingorc posted:

We have all agreed that he was busy catching up on Dog Cops, and I'll hear no contradictions.

He'll be the first to find out coulson is still alive, the next one-shot will be hawkeye and coulson tasing some badguy and watching super nanny while badguy drools on the floor.

It will be glorious.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Error 404 posted:

He'll be the first to find out coulson is still alive, the next one-shot will be hawkeye and coulson tasing some badguy and watching super nanny while badguy drools on the floor.

It will be glorious.

Hawkeye: "Wait you're alive again?"
Coulson: "I guess. I might be a robot or an alien or something gently caress I don't even watch my lovely show"

Kingtheninja posted:

Not sure how talked about it's been, but the animation for the end credits was superb. I really loved it.

Yeah, I was really impressed with it. (Thank you for mentioning this because I felt like such a loving nerd trying to talk to my brother about how cool the credits of a movie were...)

TwoPair fucked around with this message at 07:43 on Apr 6, 2014

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

PunkBoy posted:

Definitely agree that the fight scenes were pretty awesome, and I got to continue to play my game of "spot pro wrestling moves." Cap pulls off a pretty nice Shining Wizard and German Suplex.

I really loved the Batroc fight in that regard, that whole sequence was amazing. (I don't know if that big leaping spinkick Batroc did is a pro wrestling move or what, but I loved it.)

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

DFu4ever posted:

Once the poo poo hit the fan (Fury getting shot)only like two days at most passed, right? If Hawkeye was in the field he might not be in any position to receive that info or to respond, especially if the higher ups didn't want certain agents alerted.

Hawkeye could have easily been Sent off on some wild goose chase with of the Hydra guys, and they had orders to take him down because clearly anyone connected to the Avengers would not be suitable for the new world order they were going to create. Though he being Hawkeye he kills them all with one boomarang arrow then drinks a pot of coffee afterwards

I also realized TWS explains something people noticed about the new Hawkeye costume that appeared in those production stills.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer
Can we just pause and appreciate how Batroc the Leaper did not come off as totally ridiculous? Think about that for a second.

I am pumped to see this again next week.

404GoonNotFound
Aug 6, 2006

The McRib is back!?!?

TwoPair posted:

My ideal one shot would honestly be something like this, just Hawkguy doing boring poo poo. Then at the end Clint checks the mail, wonders why he hasn't gotten his paycheck yet, and tries to go to SHIELD's accounting department only to find the building demolished.

Oh goddammit, now I'm going to be inevitably disappointed when this isn't the Blu-Ray short.

Grant DaNasty
Jul 17, 2006

PunkBoy posted:

There was Captain America taking out the pirate with the Tazmission. Illegal in judo, but LEGAL IN THE MARVEL UNIVERSE!

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

I prefer the Hawkeye One-Shot to be him watching 3 straight seasons of Dog Cops on DVD. After he's finished he switches on the news and sprays coffee all over his TV.

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,
you shouldn't have signed it.

Well that's comic book Hawkeye.

Film Hawkeye would just be Jeremy Renner staring blankly at the screen for 15 minutes before monotony saying "The Avengers need me" before walking off camera.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

There's still a chance to write him better. Hawkeye is apparently getting the spotlight in Avengers 2.

I agree with someone in CineD that said Jeremy Renner is best when you treat him as a character actor instead of "main star in big budget summer movie".

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Waterhaul posted:

Well that's comic book Hawkeye.

Film Hawkeye would just be Jeremy Renner staring blankly at the screen for 15 minutes before monotony saying "The Avengers need me" before walking off camera.

Pretty sure Marvel would keep his characterization the same from his previous appearances into this hypothetical one-shot.

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,

jivjov posted:

Pretty sure Marvel would keep his characterization the same from his previous appearances into this hypothetical one-shot.

That was my point?

Renner has been like a black hole for charisma throughout the films which I guess you could churn out to be mind controlled for Avengers but still.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Waterhaul posted:

That was my point?

Renner has been like a black hole for charisma throughout the films which I guess you could churn out to be mind controlled for Avengers but still.

Were you asleep for his cameo in Thor and his pre-and-post mind controlled stuff in Avengers? Because you seem to have missed his dry wit and keen mind through all of that. "You sending in more guys for him to beat up?", "Yeah, the cube's a doorway, right? Doors open from both sides", "You and I remember Budapest very differently", "Hey Tony, these guys can't bank worth a drat, find a tight corner"

He's a character that's a LOT smarter than he lets on or is given credit for. Just from hanging out and watching Selvig work, he's deduced some stuff about the Tesserect that Fury had never even considered. When he's mind controlled and working for Loki he pretty masterfully knows how to cripple the helicarrier. When he's playing seeing-eye-Hawk during the battle of New York he gives a lot of good intel to Tony in particular.

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,

jivjov posted:

Were you asleep for his cameo in Thor and his pre-and-post mind controlled stuff in Avengers? Because you seem to have missed his dry wit and keen mind through all of that. "You sending in more guys for him to beat up?", "Yeah, the cube's a doorway, right? Doors open from both sides", "You and I remember Budapest very differently", "Hey Tony, these guys can't bank worth a drat, find a tight corner"

He's a character that's a LOT smarter than he lets on or is given credit for. Just from hanging out and watching Selvig work, he's deduced some stuff about the Tesserect that Fury had never even considered. When he's mind controlled and working for Loki he pretty masterfully knows how to cripple the helicarrier. When he's playing seeing-eye-Hawk during the battle of New York he gives a lot of good intel to Tony in particular.

Okay? My point was that Renner just kind of sleepwalked through Avengers and was clearly not going for a lovable goof/manchild of Hawkguy.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Waterhaul posted:

Okay? My point was that Renner just kind of sleepwalked through Avengers and was clearly not going for a lovable goof/manchild of Hawkguy.

Well, if that's what you meant, that's not what you said at all. Yeah he's not playing the wacky Hawkguy, but he's far from a "monotonous" "black hole of charisma".

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.
Hawkeye was busy partying in Jersey with Batman, Lois, Rocket and Mystique. There.

Roydrowsy
May 6, 2007

CapnAndy posted:

he was there in spirit,
Widow's necklace throughout the whole film was an arrow!

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition
"You better call it, Coulson, 'cause I'm starting to root for this guy."

Hawkeye's not bad in the movies. I'm just hoping they don't decide to give him the ridiculously tragic crap from Ultimates volume 2, where his whole family got aced for what amounts to no reason.

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
That was amazing writing compared to what they did to him in Ultimates vol. 3.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

twistedmentat posted:

I also realized TWS explains something people noticed about the new Hawkeye costume that appeared in those production stills.

Really? What is it?

Waterhaul posted:

Had Hawkguy taken off at that point though? If it hadn't really been established at that point, there's no reason why Renner would have implemented that into his role.

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,

Yvonmukluk posted:

Really? What is it?

Had Hawkguy taken off at that point though? If it hadn't really been established at that point, there's no reason why Renner would have implemented that into his role.

No.

My point (which got lost in knee jerk reactions) is film/Renner Hawkeye is a really boring character which is why it's confusing that since Hawkguy came out people have thrown that personality onto the film character. In Avengers 1 he exists to pose sullenly and talk with Natasha about how "we're just normal people unlike all these superheroes running around". He's Ultimates 1/2 Hawkeye but without the over the topness that Millar gave the character or any kind of charisma.

Fraction/Aja's Hawkeye is actually a response to how boring and ridiculous the film character is. There's a reason why the book opens with them recreating a scene from Avengers but twisting it to go "yeah this is dumb and nothing cool would come from the character doing cool action poses".

Dacap
Jul 8, 2008

Yvonmukluk posted:

Really? What is it?

The first issue came out post-Avengers. The first page makes fun of the shooting an arrow while jumping off the building backwards shot from Avengers.

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

jivjov posted:

Well, if that's what you meant, that's not what you said at all. Yeah he's not playing the wacky Hawkguy, but he's far from a "monotonous" "black hole of charisma".

No, no, that's actually a pretty good description

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

That's why if Marvel is smart movie Hawkeye will be rewritten to be similar to Hawkguy. It isn't like Renner is incapable of it. He's good if the movie does not attempt to portray him as a stoic action hero type. I think his Bourne movie made that mistake too.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
After watching him in American Hustle and remembering some bits from MI:3, I don't think it was necessarily him that is at fault unless he made the decision to play it that way. I think Renner gives the best performance in Hustle alongside Jennifer Lawrence. I seriously hope they let him do something entertaining soon.

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude

The MSJ posted:

That's why if Marvel is smart movie Hawkeye will be rewritten to be similar to Hawkguy. It isn't like Renner is incapable of it. He's good if the movie does not attempt to portray him as a stoic action hero type. I think his Bourne movie made that mistake too.

I have yet to read Hawkguy. How exactly does the comic work? Is it just him goofing around with Kate Bishop, or does it has some actual action?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

e X posted:

I have yet to read Hawkguy. How exactly does the comic work? Is it just him goofing around with Kate Bishop, or does it has some actual action?
It has action, but more street-level, against gangsters and thugs and the like.

• Locked thread