Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pixelante
Mar 16, 2006

You people will by God act like a team, or at least like people who know each other, or I'll incinerate the bunch of you here and now.
The best thread.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kru
Oct 5, 2003

I just rear end out and hand stand at the hair dryer post bum hose

lemonadesweetheart
May 27, 2010

Toilets need hair dryers.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

To give your butthair some well-needed volume and shape.

SixPabst
Oct 24, 2006

Serious question do you just point the bum gun at your butthole and spray away or is there some technique (i.e. 'wipe front to back')?

Soy Division
Aug 12, 2004

lemonadesweetheart posted:

Toilets need hair dryers.
You've never encountered a Japanese toilet before, I see..

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

mintskoal posted:

Serious question do you just point the bum gun at your butthole and spray away or is there some technique (i.e. 'wipe front to back')?

I do little circles

Ringo R
Dec 25, 2005

ช่วยแม่เฮ็ดนาแหน่เดัอ
I install a small aftermarket adjustable pump to increase the pressure until there is enough to penetrate the anus for that extra bit of cleanliness.

SE Asia Megathread: What's The Optimal Bum Gun Pressure?

lemonadesweetheart
May 27, 2010

Gail Wynand posted:

You've never encountered a Japanese toilet before, I see..

Actually I have and they are fantastic. I still used paper afterwards too.

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
Sarongs are pretty open air, dude. poo poo dries pretty fast.

Of course at home I use paper, but when you're out in the middle of nowhere, post-run and just finishing up using Somchai's hut, well, not always a lot of paper around. Anyway, this is what Prickly Heat is for ^__^

EDIT: I now realize that my usage of the word "poo poo" as a general classifier really doesn't work there.

ReindeerF fucked around with this message at 18:19 on Apr 2, 2014

duckmaster
Sep 13, 2004
Mr and Mrs Duck go and stay in a nice hotel.

One night they call room service for some condoms as things are heating up.

The guy arrives and says "do you want me to put it on your bill"

Mr Duck says "what kind of pervert do you think I am?!

QUACK QUACK
Sometimes I use my bumgun when I don't even need the toilet :iiapa: :butt:

Anyone who does not is a damned liar.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer

duckmaster posted:

Sometimes I use my bumgun when I don't even need the toilet :iiapa: :butt:

Anyone who does not is a damned liar.

:feelsgood:

B-Rad
Aug 8, 2006
No one wants swamp rear end in tropical heat!

Barfolemew
Dec 5, 2011

Non Serviam
http://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-26847366

Uhhh "Warehouse workers used a blow-torch to take the bomb apart and detonated it in the process, reports said."

Ringo R
Dec 25, 2005

ช่วยแม่เฮ็ดนาแหน่เดัอ
^^^ They forgot to pray for good luck

Cool Thai chick opens Khao Man Gai food carts in the US! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j9YZxHWUhqQ

Ringo R fucked around with this message at 07:23 on Apr 3, 2014

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro

Barfolemew posted:

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-26847366

Uhhh "Warehouse workers used a blow-torch to take the bomb apart and detonated it in the process, reports said."
Let us open our hymnals to one of the great criminal negligence / scrap collection / bonehead somchai stories of yesteryear via Ringo R:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Samut_Prakan_radiation_accident

MrNemo
Aug 26, 2010

"I just love beeting off"

Just got back from 5 days on Perhentian Kecil in Malaysia. Fun diving and nice people though the place is definitely in the early phases of becoming a large tourist spot (as opposed to still being an isolated spot or starting to overtax the infrastructure). Power in the place I was staying at was on in the evening but apparently they'll have a line from the mainland laid in by 2016.

Fun diving but it seems somewhat limited to me, couple of wrecks and 2 or 3 really nice sites and not much in the way of big life. Definitely somewhere I'd recommend for doing an Open Water course if you're interested in learning to dive though as it's still not too crowded and the diving is really easy. First diving I've done SEA and I really enjoyed being back in the water, my head is now filled with recommendations, most of which revolved around Indonesia. If people want I'll upload a few pics for a look at some of the stuff since I bought an underwater housing for my camera and ended up taking well over 200 pictures after scrapping rubbish ones. I normally get back from a week's holiday with like 50 before I start cutting crappy ones

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.

I'd totally be into it if you post pics. Haven't had the chance to dive there myself.

Finch!
Sep 11, 2001

Spatial Awareness?

[ ] Whaleshark

404 Not Found
Yeah, I'm always down for above and below surface photos. Post 'em :)

MothraAttack
Apr 28, 2008
Pics or it didn't happen.

Aren't the Red Shirts coming into Bangkok this weekend? Saw some questionable Thai meme on Facebook about Burmese migrants joining the protests, scary foreigners!

transient
Apr 7, 2005
Hoping to get some itinerary help. We'll be traveling in December and will have ~2.5 weeks. We'd like to hit three principal destinations: Chiang Mai / Ko Lanta / Siem Reap. Is this too much? Is there a better island/beach to go to in December? Is it a mistake to not spend much time in Bangkok? We've never been to SE Asia before but have done a pretty decent amount of traveling elsewhere. Siem Reap seems like kind of a stretch but I've always wanted to see Angkor Wat and we'll be so close.

We're pretty flexible with our likes and dislikes, so things like fun party beach or just time to relax are pretty much the same to us. We would definitely take flights as much as possible to save travel time.

I realize we're all over the place, is there an order to go in that makes sense or is easier for any reason?

transient fucked around with this message at 14:46 on Apr 5, 2014

cent0r
Feb 19, 2007

MrNemo posted:

Just got back from 5 days on Perhentian Kecil in Malaysia. Fun diving and nice people though the place is definitely in the early phases of becoming a large tourist spot (as opposed to still being an isolated spot or starting to overtax the infrastructure). Power in the place I was staying at was on in the evening but apparently they'll have a line from the mainland laid in by 2016.

Fun diving but it seems somewhat limited to me, couple of wrecks and 2 or 3 really nice sites and not much in the way of big life. Definitely somewhere I'd recommend for doing an Open Water course if you're interested in learning to dive though as it's still not too crowded and the diving is really easy. First diving I've done SEA and I really enjoyed being back in the water, my head is now filled with recommendations, most of which revolved around Indonesia. If people want I'll upload a few pics for a look at some of the stuff since I bought an underwater housing for my camera and ended up taking well over 200 pictures after scrapping rubbish ones. I normally get back from a week's holiday with like 50 before I start cutting crappy ones

Awesome - I'm thinking of either going to Perhentian or Langkawi for my Malay beach island trip. Right now I'm leaning towards Langkawi just cos it's easier to get to from Georgetown (where I plan on getting my Thai tourist visa). I'd like to do some diving though.

Post pics :D

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Transient: Why Chiang Mai? Are you flying between these places?

transient
Apr 7, 2005

Sheep-Goats posted:

Transient: Why Chiang Mai? Are you flying between these places?

Yes on the flying. As far as Chiang Mai, it's really just based on recommendations. Nothing is set in stone though if you have another suggestion.

Pixelante
Mar 16, 2006

You people will by God act like a team, or at least like people who know each other, or I'll incinerate the bunch of you here and now.

transient posted:

Yes on the flying. As far as Chiang Mai, it's really just based on recommendations. Nothing is set in stone though if you have another suggestion.

Was bored shitless in Chiang Mai, and that's coming from someone who spent more than two months living in Luang Prabang. I'd just chill for two weeks in Siem Reap, but then, I'm Team Cambodia all the way. (No one is Team Laos.)

Finch!
Sep 11, 2001

Spatial Awareness?

[ ] Whaleshark

404 Not Found
If you're flying to Chiang Mai you might as well take a flight from Chiang Mai to Mae Hong Son.

Fact: Mae Hong Son > Chiang Mai.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Finch! posted:

If you're flying to Chiang Mai you might as well take a flight from Chiang Mai to Mae Hong Son.

Fact: Mae Hong Son > Chiang Mai.

Agree with this 100%. Chiang Mai is okay but only okay and the tourist volume can be silly. I would absolutely not skip Angkor \ Cambodia. A hilltribe trek out of Mae Hong Son can be really cool though. Another northern city that gets a lot of chat that is kind of farts is Pai.

You can make three major destinations in a week and a half if you're flying but it's a little tight. Bangkok is a great city one you crack its shell but most tourists don't get that far and just end up not liking it. For q short trip for the Bangkok uninitiated it's probably a good idea to minimize your time there.

MothraAttack
Apr 28, 2008
If you want to get exotic then you could do something in the Cardamon Mountains or Ratanakiri in Cambodia, over northern Thailand. I'd look into treks there. You'd likely be roughing it a bit more than northern Thailand, but it's more off the standard track.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.

My family's going over to Krabi somewhere in May or June, and quite likely we'll be staying near Ao Nang. It's more of a "let's sit back and chill out" thing. What are some good places for local food, drinks, stuff to do, etc?

Anarkii
Dec 30, 2008

Pixelante posted:

Was bored shitless in Chiang Mai, and that's coming from someone who spent more than two months living in Luang Prabang. I'd just chill for two weeks in Siem Reap, but then, I'm Team Cambodia all the way. (No one is Team Laos.)

Could you elaborate a bit on your time in Luang Prabang? I know it's a pretty quiet place, but I thought this thread considered a pretty great destination.

Tomato Soup
Jan 16, 2006

Luang Prabang is great for a visit, but you wouldn't want to stay for two months as there's not enough to keep you interested after a little while.

Seconding the recommendation for Mae Hong Son, it's probably one of the prettiest places I've ever been to and I did a pretty cool tour which took me to the Burma border. But if you'd like to stay in the Chiang Mai area, I recommend taking a motorbike tour with Something Different Tours. You can ride on your own bike or be a pillion. I did a two-day tour as a pillion and it was really fun, easily one of the highlights of my trip. The city sucks and the traffic is awful so it's a pain to get around on a motorbike. But hey, the songathews were awesome for going short distances at least.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer

The Saddest Rhino posted:

My family's going over to Krabi somewhere in May or June, and quite likely we'll be staying near Ao Nang. It's more of a "let's sit back and chill out" thing. What are some good places for local food, drinks, stuff to do, etc?

James Bond Island beach and rock climbing? I don't know any specific places but the whole south has got this chill vibe!

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
Posting from Trang on the phone, so I have to be brief.

I'm not a Chiang Mai fan. I prefer Mae Sai. Mae Hong Soon would be good too. As the O.G. Cambodia poster I'll also second spending as much time there as possible.

My long-term expat friends love Laos. It's great, but I prefer Cambodia.

As far as Krabi, Ao Nang is my favorite touristy beach area of the highly accessible places. Great bar down to the left on the beach road at the cliffs called The Last Resort or something. Monkeys everywhere, in a mangrove, simple but great.

Beach road is awful mainly, but the day trips and some key spots are great.

cent0r
Feb 19, 2007
I used the bum gun today. It's quite bizarre at first and I giggled like an idiot but I like how clean your anus gets afterwards. I want one for home because my anus is a brown marker - the poo poo just doesn't stop and I end up using half the roll of toilet paper.

Also, I've got to stop eating from curry houses. My butt no like.

Soy Division
Aug 12, 2004

MrNemo posted:

Thanks for the report, been thinking of checking the Perhentians out.

Where did you stay specifically? How were the non-diving aspects, good beaches and food?

MrNemo
Aug 26, 2010

"I just love beeting off"

In regards to Perhentian as a beach destination, I may not be the best judge as I really don't like beaches that much and so I'm really not the typical tropical island or beach resort holiday type. Like I said Perhentian isn't very developed yet, Long beach on Kecil (small) island has about 3 bars, one of which was a guy with a collapsible table and big styrofoam cooler box with a handwritten sign saying cold beer (although he did have Tsing Tao cold, which puts him head and shoulders above a number of bars in Malaysia and even China that I've been to). Drinks are tinned beer or cheap local spirits with mixers and relatively expensive (RM10 for a can of anything). If you want a party destination or cheap head to Langkawi. Food is relatively expensive for Malaysia, I'd say options around would be comparable to KL, options ranging from RM2 noodle packets to RM55 grilled whole fish with rice and salad.

It's a much nicer beach than Langkawi according to anyone I talked to that had been to both. It's much less crowded and much, much cleaner. I stayed in Panorama Chalets, largely because they have some pretty great deals if you're also booking diving packages. It was basic, on par with hostels, but the staff are nice and it's good value for food. There are different dive shops around and some people got pretty good deals shopping around and bargaining with different places for dives to sites. You certainly can just turn up and look for somewhere to stay, I saw more than a few people do that.

Also can't disappoint people. Here are a few pictures from the well over 200 that I ended up taking, mostly underwater shots. I ended up being very impressed with the image stabilisation in my camera.

Sunrise on my last day. Missed the lovely red sky but I think it still looked pretty nice.

Neudibranchs. I think these guys are super cute, loads and loads of differet kinds and different sizes.

An Indian Ocean Walkman reacting to being poked.

Y halo thar.

Scorpionfish chilling on a rock.

Zoom in to see Durban Dancing Shrimp

Juvenile Blue ringed Angelfish. This guy was pretty tiny. Reminds me I've got a picture of a bright yellow baby boxfish as well somewhere.

MrNemo fucked around with this message at 17:48 on Apr 6, 2014

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

Perhentian is really good if you have ten friends and you enjoy staying up all night after the beach has emptied completely. You can spend ten minutes walking out from the shore and still only be in the water up to your waist.

Posting from Langkawi right now and yeah this is the place to be if you wanna go out on the lash and/or stock up on alcohol and smokes. RM25 for a carton of djarums and RM4.20 for a 500ml Heineken is very much my poo poo. Plus it's only like RM80 to get the bus from KL and back.

tzz
May 15, 2005
COLD
I just bought a round trip ticket to Bangkok... for Tuesday. It was only 500 bucks, so I had to do it.

How bad of an idea is going to Cambodia's beaches (Kep/Kampot) this time of the year? Some people say it's hell on earth, but others say it's fine.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
The whole region is just a teensy bit warm right now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tzz
May 15, 2005
COLD

Sheep-Goats posted:

The whole region is just a teensy bit warm right now.

Yep, but it's not going to be any worse than Southern Thailand or Malaysia, right?