Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

soapgish posted:

Well, can't stop a person who would literally die from a lack of dime bags and shades from incessantly talking about something they don't spend much time on.

I started SUPERNATURAL post S05, yeah, and it's a terrible drag about five episodes into season seven. The meta episodes are great fun along with the usual gold specks of genre trash but I really have to ask, is there any reason to like characters that aren't one of the apparent main five, or so? The bullets they all bite are stern.

Season 7 of Supernatural is basically just an excuse to make a series of dick jokes based on the assumed name of the season big bad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

precision posted:

Uh.

My wife and I are watching TV with her mother. Apparently there's an American remake of Rake now? Starring Greg Kinnear? Anyway, he is at this very moment defending the right of a man and woman to have sex with a dog, by showing footage that demonstrates the dog is enjoying it and not being coerced.

Sounds p morally inept

Slamhound
Mar 27, 2010

Cardboard Box A posted:

Helix?

It looked like The Thing/Zombies in the Arctic at first, and then very quickly transformed into live-action anime, featuring the Umbrella corp, imaginary friends, child kidnapping rings, centuries old Japanese war criminal scientists, immortal capitalists with a plan to destroy and remake the world in their image, teenage prettyboy assassins who kill with bladed weapons, bomb collars, surprise twins, mortal kombat cosplay, parents long thought dead but found alive stuffed in star wars wastebins, a guy who looks like the supervampires from Blade 2, surprise secret moles, frozen decapitated heads, and Jeri Ryan.
It's nothing short of astonishing that this description is 100% accurate, yet the show is a boring, tedious slog.

Helix is like the Anti-Sleepy Hollow.

Ed Zeddmore
Dec 12, 2011

:h:love will turn you around:h:

soapgish posted:

I started SUPERNATURAL post S05, yeah, and it's a terrible drag about five episodes into season seven. The meta episodes are great fun along with the usual gold specks of genre trash but I really have to ask, is there any reason to like characters that aren't one of the apparent main five, or so? The bullets they all bite are stern.

A lot of those characters are really fun, but there's no point in getting terribly invested in them because they either disappear forever or die. A few of them disappear for several seasons and then pop up again to die, or at least to have something terrible happen to them. Two first season characters got killed in season 8. It's an especially bad universe to be a side character.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Ed Zeddmore posted:

A lot of those characters are really fun, but there's no point in getting terribly invested in them because they either disappear forever or die. A few of them disappear for several seasons and then pop up again to die, or at least to have something terrible happen to them. Two first season characters got killed in season 8. It's an especially bad universe to be a side character.

I just started season 8, I don't suppose your namesake is one of them?

Ed Zeddmore
Dec 12, 2011

:h:love will turn you around:h:

raditts posted:

I just started season 8, I don't suppose your namesake is one of them?

He was back just recently on season 9.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Occupation posted:

Sounds p morally inept

edit: actually, never mind, whatever

precision fucked around with this message at 06:51 on Apr 6, 2014

-Blackadder-
Jan 2, 2007

Game....Blouses.
Anyone watch The 100? Is it any good?

Also what about Resurrection? How close is it to the french show The Returned?

-Blackadder- fucked around with this message at 07:49 on Apr 6, 2014

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

-Blackadder- posted:

Resurrection is terrible and only in the most flimsy way is it similar to Les Revenants. It's worse than the American remake of Skins, because at least that tried to have the same characters and stick to the same plot. Even if it failed miserably.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Resurrection is not the American version of Les Revenants, by the way. That's still in development.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Bown posted:

Resurrection is not the American version of Les Revenants, by the way. That's still in development.

Oh, well, that makes more sense then. It's confusing because the book Resurrection IS based on is called The Returned, which is what Netflix calls Les Revenants.

Foreign stuff is hard.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
and to confuse things further the adaptation would be called They Came Back, which is the name of the English title of the movie the series is based on (and a stupid title).

edit as to not double post: I started watching Trailer Park Boys recently and it's loving awesome! From how little people talk about it I assumed it was like the tiniest niche in the world but it's just a really really loving funny comedy show with some of the smartest "these guys are idiots" humour I've ever seen

Escobarbarian fucked around with this message at 08:36 on Apr 6, 2014

rargphlam
Dec 16, 2008
The best part of Trailer Park Boys is that ultimately the way they portray that area is stunningly close to life. One of my friends lived in that part of Nova Scotia, and everything, down to the roving gangs of bottle kids, is an accurate portrayal.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

Cardboard Box A posted:

Helix?

It looked like The Thing/Zombies in the Arctic at first, and then very quickly transformed into live-action anime, featuring the Umbrella corp, imaginary friends, child kidnapping rings, centuries old Japanese war criminal scientists, immortal capitalists with a plan to destroy and remake the world in their image, teenage prettyboy assassins who kill with bladed weapons, bomb collars, surprise twins, mortal kombat cosplay, parents long thought dead but found alive stuffed in star wars wastebins, a guy who looks like the supervampires from Blade 2, surprise secret moles, frozen decapitated heads, and Jeri Ryan.

Apparently Billy Campbell plays in this, anyone remembers the 4400? Man, that was weird.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Bown posted:

I started watching Trailer Park Boys recently and it's loving awesome! From how little people talk about it...

What Internet are you on where people don't talk about TPB on a constant basis?

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

precision posted:

Hold on, you make this sound like something I really want to watch. It can't possibly be as entertaining as you're making it sound, can it?

PriorMarcus posted:

No, it's the most boring show possible. All of those things are in the show but they are presented in the most pedestrian, dull as dish water way you could imagine.

It's not even so bad it's good, it's just boring.

Joramun posted:

Not all of the time, large parts of it are quite boring and annoying, but at certain points it gets so outrageous (in the best sense of the word) it is truly amazing. The season finale was one of the least sane and coherent episodes of television I have ever seen, it was just glorious. I can't wait for season 2.
If someone made a 13 minute supercut of all the crazy stuff in Helix, I would say hands down watch it. Unfortunately you have to sit through 13 episodes instead, not nearly as appealing.

That said, you could probably watch the first and last 7 minutes of every episode and get most of the best stuff and be no more confused than if you watched all of it anyway.

whydirt posted:

Holy cow, the last season of Burn Notice is terrible!
Yeah. I haven't quite been able to finish it myself. :sigh:

Mooseontheloose posted:

I feel like if they had a full season it would of gone better.

raditts posted:

Doubtful, Burn Notice was bad for at least the last couple of seasons.

If it's any consolation, I think it's been cancelled already.
Yeah that was the last season. And the penultimate season wasn't nearly as bad, mostly because it wasn't 100% serious and the team wasn't split up like that.

Assepoester fucked around with this message at 12:34 on Apr 6, 2014

Lugaloco
Jun 29, 2011

Ice to see you!

Bown posted:

edit as to not double post: I started watching Trailer Park Boys recently and it's loving awesome! From how little people talk about it I assumed it was like the tiniest niche in the world but it's just a really really loving funny comedy show with some of the smartest "these guys are idiots" humour I've ever seen

Trailer Park Boys is an amazing comedy, definitely in my Top 5 of all time if only for the fact that you can watch any episode and it's bound to be hilarious. Just wait until you get to episodes like "Closer To The Heart", "Conky", "Jim Lahey Is a Fuckin Drunk and He Always Will Be", "Propane, Propane", "Friends of the Road". gently caress, there's so many.

Smokes, let's go.

Pillowpants
Aug 5, 2006

-Blackadder- posted:

Anyone watch The 100? Is it any good?

The 100 is surprisingly good. I'd describe it as the movie oblivion mixed with lord of the flies.

Resurrections premiere was pretty great, but episodes 2-4 have been terrible and I just removed it from my DVR. I probably should have chosen to watch believe.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Lugaloco posted:

Trailer Park Boys is an amazing comedy, definitely in my Top 5 of all time if only for the fact that you can watch any episode and it's bound to be hilarious. Just wait until you get to episodes like "Closer To The Heart", "Conky", "Jim Lahey Is a Fuckin Drunk and He Always Will Be", "Propane, Propane", "Friends of the Road". gently caress, there's so many.

Smokes, let's go.

I'm almost at the end of season 4 and it's definitely been the best yet. Wouldn't be surprised if it was a fan favourite. Conky and the wrestling episode were both incredible.

Joramun
Dec 1, 2011

No man has need of candles when the Sun awaits him.
Oh wow, yay, MTV is launching a new Awkward.-esque comedy soon:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3mwIOd6SLW0

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

Joramun posted:

Oh wow, yay, MTV is launching a new Awkward.-esque comedy soon:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3mwIOd6SLW0

I might just watch that!

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax
Being gay is the best thing that's ever happened to us!

Metropolis
Apr 6, 2006
drat Helix has Hiroyuki Sanada in addition to all that other awesome-sounding poo poo? If the show had better hype and I bought into it and watched it I'd probably be permanently mad at how (supposedly I guess but I believe everyone) horrible it's turned out.

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽
Am I missing it or is there no Silicon Valley thread which premieres tonight?

Joramun
Dec 1, 2011

Metropolis posted:

drat Helix has Hiroyuki Sanada in addition to all that other awesome-sounding poo poo?

When it comes to TV he exclusively stars in ridiculous shows (Revenge, Lost season 6, Helix) so it's puzzling why certain people around here keep bringing him up an indicator of quality television or something. It's more the other way around. When he signs up for a series, you know it's just going to be a guilty pleasure at best.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

Irish Joe posted:

Being gay is the best thing that's ever happened to us!

I'll have to see how it's ultimately handled, but Wikipedia tells me it was created by Carter Covington, who was a key staff member of Greek (which I admittedly haven't seen, but have heard encouraging things about) and is himself gay. So those aren't bad signs (although it'd be cool to see that the show was written by a woman). On top of all that, if it's anything like the rest of MTV's programming, it'll be set in a hip, deep-blue area like SoCal. That makes it easier to set aside the issues most gay teenagers would have coming out in more conservative areas in favor of satirizing liberal overprotectiveness.

More than anything, though? I just appreciate an American basic cable network more mainstream than Logo doing what appears to be a gay romantic comedy. We've got gay/bi leads or co-leads in Orphan Black, Lost Girl, Pretty Little Liars, and The Fosters, and gay supporting characters in countless other BC shows, but this seems to be one of (if not THE) first to put a gay OTP forward as the stars of the show.

(EDIT: My mistake, I had forgotten about The New Normal, and that was on NBC. To be fair, though, I think half the world also forgot.)

I might watch it and think it sucks for whatever reason. God forbid, I may even find it troubling. But I'd love to see more shows follow this lead.

DivisionPost fucked around with this message at 17:33 on Apr 6, 2014

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Will and Grace
Ellen

Joramun
Dec 1, 2011

Modern Family?

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.
Ellen, certainly, and I feel dumb for forgetting that. I'd argue that Will and Grace was more concerned with the friendship between the titular couple than Will's love life. Modern Family's a solid example too, and I certainly don't want to write that off, but that show's not centered on Mitchell and Cam the way Faking It looks to be on their two leads. (And so I'm clear, I don't think that automatically makes Faking It a better or even more progressive show. Again, we'll see how it looks when it rolls. I just think there's potential.)

Metropolis
Apr 6, 2006

Joramun posted:

When it comes to TV he exclusively stars in ridiculous shows (Revenge, Lost season 6, Helix) so it's puzzling why certain people around here keep bringing him up an indicator of quality television or something. It's more the other way around. When he signs up for a series, you know it's just going to be a guilty pleasure at best.

He's in a lot of guilty pleasure/not good movies too, but he's at least a capable actor. "We're making TV not a movie" shouldn't be an excuse to make something not as good as it could be with the resources they have. But that's the way it goes I guess.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

Joramun posted:

He said it was awesome sounding. Not a sign of quality. Plenty of stuff can be great without being "quality".

Joramun
Dec 1, 2011

It's not just him, I've seen it come up several times in discussions from others as well. Like "Oh it has Hiroyuki Sanada in it so it must be good," which is hard to justify since the dude has pretty hokey/cheesy taste in choosing roles and performances so I just didn't really understand where it comes from. I guess it's like a Jean-Claude Van Damme thing.

hcreight
Mar 19, 2007

My name is Oliver Queen...
Is anyone putting a Silicon Valley thread together?

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

I would but I'm on my phone and don't have a traditional computer any more

It should deffo be made because kumail nanjiani is the best

hcreight
Mar 19, 2007

My name is Oliver Queen...
Alright, I'll make one sometime in the next couple of hours.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Thanks hcreight you're now my third favorite poster

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Occupation posted:

Thanks hcreight you're now my third favorite poster

After me, who is #2?

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007