Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

I'm just really pissed after doing: all the blitz ace grinding, most of the omega ruins/inside sin monster hunting, and grinding for stat spheres from arena monsters.

It's really dumb that you can just bump into an unwinnable, unescapable fight. Argh. Both Flee and Escape commands were greyed out, so no go either way. I mean, it's the bloody Mushroom Rock Road, nothing could even hope to kill me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Chickenfrogman posted:

This loving performance. As batshit and kind of crappy as Xenosaga is, Crispin Freeman just nails all of his scenes so loving hard they're impossible to forget.

I still wish Keith Szarabajka got as much love as Freeman's Al. Yuriev was a better villain and they could not have picked a more perfect voice for him. He's actually someone you don't hear in anime that much while Freeman, as good as he is, you'll hear a lot.
http://youtu.be/JXGIkv6paY4?t=3h37m12s

I so can't wait for Scurvy's Xenosaga LP to get to his part in Episode III... Zutaten was so close and I was so ready to go on and on about how much I loved the guy but nope, I never got my chance.

Still can't believe I didn't realize it was Holtz doing the voice until years and years later.

NikkolasKing fucked around with this message at 07:07 on Apr 6, 2014

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.

S-Alpha posted:

I'm just really pissed after doing: all the blitz ace grinding, most of the omega ruins/inside sin monster hunting, and grinding for stat spheres from arena monsters.

It's really dumb that you can just bump into an unwinnable, unescapable fight. Argh. Both Flee and Escape commands were greyed out, so no go either way. I mean, it's the bloody Mushroom Rock Road, nothing could even hope to kill me.

Why would you play any game for five hours straight without saving once in the first place? I mean you literally warp to save points in that game and you never know when you get an unexpected crash/blackout etc.

Sucks to hear it either way though.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Kanfy posted:

Why would you play any game for five hours straight without saving once in the first place? I mean you literally warp to save points in that game and you never know when you get an unexpected crash/blackout etc.

Sucks to hear it either way though.

I had no idea they would have a superboss sitting in the middle of an area like that. I think this is one of those times that the Vita's suspend function kinda is the cause of all my problems, since instead of saving and turning it off, I just suspend it and go do something else for a few hours.

I thought all the Dark Aeons (short of Dark Valefor) were in weird, out of the way places. Oh well, now I know I guess, and it's back to getting where I was. (gently caress you monster catching)

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I walked right into Dark Ixion while monster hunting too. :(

As said though, you can Flee from that fight. I almost didn't get the chance to, though, through sheer luck, because he killed two party members before I got a turn to switch in Tidus.

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE
Re: FFX HD, was everyone always this stonefaced? Am I misremembering that they were much more expressive in the original release?

E: Also what's up with epic bags under Tidus' eyes

Instant Grat fucked around with this message at 14:53 on Apr 6, 2014

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

S-Alpha posted:

Oh gently caress you FFX. gently caress you gently caress you gently caress you. Five hours catching monsters and grinding spheres and I stumble into loving Dark Magus Sisters.

At least let me run from these fights you piece of poo poo game. Argh, this is the worst. :mad:

Kinda more your own fault for not saving for five hours. ;) Also don't all the Dark Aeons require you interacting with an NPC first to initiate the battle?

bradzilla fucked around with this message at 14:57 on Apr 6, 2014

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

bradzilla posted:

Also don't all the Dark Aeons require you interacting with an NPC first to initiate the battle?

Magus Sisters you can accidentally trigger by getting too close. They chase you down.

e: I think.. it's been a fair few years.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!

bradzilla posted:

Also don't all the Dark Aeons require you interacting with an NPC first to initiate the battle?

No. Ifrit and Ixion do, but the rest are triggered automatically. Valefor's as soon as you try and re-enter Besaid Village, Shiva's the same but with Macalania Temple, Bahamut's whenever you return to Yunalesca's room, Yojimbo's when you go into certain parts in the Cavern of the Stolen Fayth after you try and walk out from the back and Anima's chilling at the front of Gagazet after redoing one of the underwater ball throwing things.

Subvisual Haze
Nov 22, 2003

The building was on fire and it wasn't my fault.

kirbysuperstar posted:

Magus Sisters you can accidentally trigger by getting too close. They chase you down.

e: I think.. it's been a fair few years.

It's a slow chase though. You can outrun them to avoid the fight.

This wasn't as bad as every single Greater Marlboro fight.

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

Instant Grat posted:

Re: FFX HD, was everyone always this stonefaced? Am I misremembering that they were much more expressive in the original release?

E: Also what's up with epic bags under Tidus' eyes

I think you're right.

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE

That loving Sned posted:

I think you're right.

jesus christ

I refuse to believe my nostalgia goggles are so bad that i forgot this

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Instant Grat posted:

jesus christ

I refuse to believe my nostalgia goggles are so bad that i forgot this

No, you're right, they were way more expressive in the original. The HD conversion looks like they just made some new models, replaced the old ones, and called it done, and didn't redo mouth movements or expressions while they were at it to make them work with the new models.

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

If I was stuck in what I thought was 1000 years into the future, where everything is suddenly far less low tech than I was used to, there's a giant city destroying sea monster that can pop up at pretty much any time because the only liveable land mass is an archipelago (and Sin seems to have some manner of flight, so even living inland wouldn't help), and everything kept reminding me of or bringing up my pretty emotionally abusive dad, I'd have some crazy bags under my eyes too.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Hey man, Tidus isn't tired. He's just really hungry. He needs FOOOOD. And f-f-fire.

Luckily life in Spira seems to help him evolve passed the need for both of these things as he never eats after the Al Bhed ship with Rikku and he's able to scale a snowy mountain all the way to its peak without so much as shivering.

Captain Mog
Jun 17, 2011

NikkolasKing posted:

Hey man, Tidus isn't tired. He's just really hungry. He needs FOOOOD. And f-f-fire.

Luckily life in Spira seems to help him evolve passed the need for both of these things as he never eats after the Al Bhed ship with Rikku and he's able to scale a snowy mountain all the way to its peak without so much as shivering.

Don't forget the breathable water. Praise Yevon!

Which Yuna brags about being able to hold her breath under for two minutes after the game is over.

Doflamingo
Sep 20, 2006

The worst thing about FFX is probably the lip syncing, that is to say the complete lack of any. It's almost comical.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

All the talking of vacant expressions and bad lip synching just reminded me I need to check on how my favorite scene in X-2 was done in the Remaster.

Original
vs.
HD Version

That Rikku face is the stuff of nightmares. Plus even in Japanese the word monkey only has like one or two syllables right so the extended lip flaps is extra super laziness.

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

Doflamingo posted:

The worst thing about FFX is probably the lip syncing, that is to say the complete lack of any. It's almost comical.

It can be pretty bad, since most of the actors besides Yuna's didn't try to fit the mouth movements exactly. I think X-2 had the animations re-done for the English release, so it results in less awkward pauses. It's annoying in Metal Gear Solid as well, since MGS2 had new lipsync, but MGS3 didn't.

What annoys me more is how characters run in cutscenes. They go from stationary to full speed in an instant, since a lot of the cutscenes used canned animations rather than motion capture. That kind of movement works fine for gameplay, but they should have had the characters start and stop more naturally in cutscenes. They also do that thing where they run until they're on top of the place they need to stop, and if they're mid-stride then their legs will slowly glide back to being straight.

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax
What is the best way to farm smoke bombs? I kinda wanna grind some levels and also customize Deathstrike onto some capture weapons.

ShadeofDante
Feb 17, 2007

speaking of minds! know what's on mine? murders.

That loving Sned posted:

I think you're right.

I don't think my copy of FFX HD looked THAT bad on my PS3. Is that from the Vita or something? I mean, they're not as expressive as I remember from the PS2 version but they certainly don't look like that.

Squallege
Jan 7, 2006

No greater good, no just cause

Grimey Drawer

That loving Sned posted:

I think you're right.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

It's like her face has been stung by bees.

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE
I just realized Belgemine is voiced by Foxxy Love and I'm 100% okay with that

Barudak
May 7, 2007

So re-beating FFX today I noticed two things I haven't before. First, all the Aeons have unique sensor dialog when you fight them encouraging you and saying its okay to end them. Second, the ending logo has the same A-Z beginning and end concept except the symbol of Tidus/Jecht has been placed over the symbol of Z/Sin.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
I played FFXIII and hated it so much I spent like a year railing on it. Then I played FFXIII-2 and thought it was okay (until I recruited a Tonberry in sunglasses, where it briefly became amazing). Today I checked out the demo for Lightning Returns and really really liked it.

Is this some disease, am I dying, I'm scared you guys

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE
No, Lightning Returns is just legitimately good. It's a fun game. You can put a beard on Lightning. You can make her wear an entire pumpkin over her head. Smack a Behemoth to death with a hot pink sword you stole from a skeleton. Cool video jame.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Oxxidation posted:

I played FFXIII and hated it so much I spent like a year railing on it. Then I played FFXIII-2 and thought it was okay (until I recruited a Tonberry in sunglasses, where it briefly became amazing). Today I checked out the demo for Lightning Returns and really really liked it.

Lightning Returns has legitimately good gameplay. The story is naff but whatever.

Chaotic Flame
Jun 1, 2009

So...

Instant Grat posted:

I just realized Belgemine is voiced by Foxxy Love and I'm 100% okay with that

Belgemine is going to teach Yuna how to open up her mind....and her mouth!

Chaotic Flame fucked around with this message at 02:03 on Apr 7, 2014

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Captain Mog posted:

Don't forget the breathable water. Praise Yevon!

Which Yuna brags about being able to hold her breath under for two minutes after the game is over.

Uh the reasoning is gonna make you really mad but it's not breathable water. Blitzball players are just trained to be able to hold their breath for like 10 minutes while performing strenuous activity? Whatever. I think I remember someone somewhere mentioning that Al Bhed have devices for it which is why Rikku can stay under.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!

Oxxidation posted:

You should definitely check it out. The demo isn't even all that great, but the game itself is a lot of fun. But it takes a while for some people to really get into it, so some advice:
1. Don't sweat the time limit. Really. For some reason, several of the first missions you're introduced to give you very little guidance on what you're supposed to do or where to find things, and this makes people panic about the time they're losing. But this becomes less common as you find more quests, and you should really have more than enough time to do all the main quests and most or all of the subquests. Just use the Chronostasis ability to freeze time whenever you're in areas with monsters (killing them restores your EP you use for Chronostasis).

2. Don't just hang out in the first city. Go out and start exploring the other 3 main regions. The starting city is probably the most boring and visually unappealing, and there's no real reason to try and do all the quests there first. The game is really non-linear, so just go wherever and start doing quests, shopping for new outfits, and killing the local wildlife for new skills.

Krad
Feb 4, 2008

Touche
I finished all of LR's main quests in just 4 in-game days. Got completely bored and pretty much slept until the last day.

I had way more fun with XIII-2.

Kalenn Istarion
Nov 2, 2012

Maybe Senpai will finally notice me now that I've dropped :fivebux: on this snazzy av

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

Uh the reasoning is gonna make you really mad but it's not breathable water. Blitzball players are just trained to be able to hold their breath for like 10 minutes while performing strenuous activity? Whatever. I think I remember someone somewhere mentioning that Al Bhed have devices for it which is why Rikku can stay under.

They explicitly show the Al Bhed giving Tidus a breathing apparatus when he goes diving in the old ruins right at the start of the game.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Yuna on the other hand specifically trained to be able to hold her breath underwater between X and X-2.

Kalenn Istarion
Nov 2, 2012

Maybe Senpai will finally notice me now that I've dropped :fivebux: on this snazzy av
Yeah and it's implied that Tidus can actually manage it naturally. Anyone the breather was just because they were going deep. Whatever, it's a conceit of the game that a small sunset of people have superhuman underwater abilities and I generally don't think about it too hard.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
Going by FFX-2, though, pretty much everyone in the entire world can blitz. Unfortunately, you're just playing Blitzball Manager 2004 so you don't actually get to control "toddler from Besaid" in the sphere.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

The White Dragon posted:

Going by FFX-2, though, pretty much everyone in the entire world can blitz. Unfortunately, you're just playing Blitzball Manager 2004 so you don't actually get to control "toddler from Besaid" in the sphere.
Yuna, Rikku, and Paine are the only people incapable of blitzing in the entire world.

ozza
Oct 23, 2008

Has there been any word on an FFIX re-release in any form? From what I last heard, because there was no original PC release there probably wouldn't be a Steam version any time soon. Is that still where we're at?

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Nope, that's still it. FF7 and FF8's steam release only happened because of the ease of it, I doubt they're willing to put real work into it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

It's extremely unlikely. I'd be surprised if S-E could do it even if they wanted to considering how often they misplace assets.