Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON
On that tangent, if you don't have a donor power supply you can get a 12 VDC to USB adapter that's intended to be buried under the dashboard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

trouser chili
Mar 27, 2002

Unnngggggghhhhh

Geoj posted:

On that tangent, if you don't have a donor power supply you can get a 12 VDC to USB adapter that's intended to be buried under the dashboard.

Well that would have been convenient. I blame my lack of planning skills. I just sat down last night and said "I'm gonna make this poo poo work now". Had no plan except the add-a-fuse.

alternate.eago
Jul 19, 2006
Insert randomness here.
I ordered the Savvy and this Low Profile OBD II 2 Y Splitter to add the auto mute feature to my V1(also ordered the concealed display to make it display closer to my gauge cluster). This also means I will still have an extra port for whatever scanguage type display I eventually order, and I don't have to mess with the wiring. I had a bad VW wiring experience that I don't care to repeat (it was a PO's fuckery that would completely discharge the battery every night).

I'm debating on adding a blendmount (if they make one for my mirror) so I can also use the V1 in the MR2 and leave the suction cup mount in it.

Computer Jones
Jun 22, 2005

Today I fixed a bunch of stupid trivial poo poo.

Firstly, the air filter had come off AGAIN so I put that back on. I had a bit of reversion out the carb and that always seems to knock it off, so I retarded the timing a bit. Seems fine now.

The handbrake sensor is broken, so depressing it doesn't turn off the handbrake warning light. There was a hole in the button mechanism so I just put a screw in it. Catches OK now.

Bonnet catch cable was really misadjusted so the bonnet would never close properly. I loosened and readjusted that.

Interior lamp switch was stuck, so I fixed it with some WD40 and a screwdriver. Git-r-dun.

Finally, I started to clean my filthy engine bay. Guess which side hasn't been done yet :v:

puberty worked me over
May 20, 2013

by Cyrano4747

puberty worked me over fucked around with this message at 02:20 on Jun 24, 2019

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010

Computer Jones posted:

Today I fixed a bunch of stupid trivial poo poo.

Firstly, the air filter had come off AGAIN so I put that back on. I had a bit of reversion out the carb and that always seems to knock it off, so I retarded the timing a bit. Seems fine now.

The handbrake sensor is broken, so depressing it doesn't turn off the handbrake warning light. There was a hole in the button mechanism so I just put a screw in it. Catches OK now.

Bonnet catch cable was really misadjusted so the bonnet would never close properly. I loosened and readjusted that.

Interior lamp switch was stuck, so I fixed it with some WD40 and a screwdriver. Git-r-dun.

Finally, I started to clean my filthy engine bay. Guess which side hasn't been done yet :v:

Is this an old Volvo? That hood latch mechanism looks like the one on my 240.

EDIT: AHA! I see the logo on the grille now. Sweet machine you got there.

Computer Jones
Jun 22, 2005

Beach Bum posted:

Is this an old Volvo? That hood latch mechanism looks like the one on my 240.

EDIT: AHA! I see the logo on the grille now. Sweet machine you got there.

Thanks! Yep, it's a '73 144. It's been... problematic to say the least, but I think it's finally getting to the point of being vaguely reliable. I've done a Mikuni HSR45 carb swap, electronic ignition, and I've had the head worked over with hardened valve seats etc. It's been a pain in the rear end sometimes, but it's been a good learning experience and I love the thing.

Here's a pic from a week ago when I took it to the car wash. It's already filthy again from pollen and dust :doh:

Falken
Jan 26, 2004

Do you feel like a hero yet?
Got her valeted.

Also I purchased a set of official Porsche center caps, and am taking the car in to get the wheels refurbed and some minor bodywork issues attended to.

wallaka
Jun 8, 2010

Least it wasn't a fucking red shell

Finally got the clutch out, I guess it took about 6 hours. I measured a variance of 5.9-6.1 mm, with the wear limit being 6.3 mm or so from a fresh clutch of 8.1 mm. I guess it was time.

I'll finish the job tomorrow, it's no rush. It's been down for a week now anyway and it's been perfect bike weather.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Finally found the hardware and bolted my downpipe to the rest of the exhaust on the Protege. As comedy as hearing the turbine spool with any amount of throttle was, man does it sound nice. It's the Corksport 80mm power series catback, no catalyst because Florida. Best $650 I've ever spent (although it seems the same setup is now $500 :v:).

Their video, same exhaust setup as mine:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vWs_JG0_jnQ

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:
I messed with plastidip today

trouser chili
Mar 27, 2002

Unnngggggghhhhh
loving hail.

During

After

I got the Sportwagen covered with an old sleeping bag on the hood and a heavy cotton comforter blanket over the roof. It's red so it's hard to see up there. I shut it in the doors to keep it from blowing away. So far I've seen a few golf ball pieces and mostly pea hail.

Now they're saying a tornado was sighted a mile west of me heading east.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

That's the worst loving feeling. You won't be able to see if there are any dents until it dries.

Last summer i had enough room to stuff everything in the garage every time hail was coming. This year i'm going to have to make some hard decisions.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

trouser chili posted:

loving hail.

We had baseball sized hail about 45 minutes away from me earlier. Took out most of the skylights at the Wal-Mart I used to shop at when I lived in Denton. :v:

I only saw ~quarter sized hail here though.

My weather radio is about to take flying lessons though. I'm well aware of the tornado warnings, the NWS doesn't need to issue another tornado warning 10 minutes later for the same county, damnit. :argh: It's gone off at least 6 times in the past couple of hours.

e: couple of screenshots from the news:

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 02:54 on Apr 4, 2014

Falken
Jan 26, 2004

Do you feel like a hero yet?
So glad UK hail is like typically < 5mm in diameter.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
I'll gladly put up with a couple months of winter to have an actual spring, fall, and a summer with no tornadoes or hail over half an inch in diameter.

I could do without the rust though.

wallaka
Jun 8, 2010

Least it wasn't a fucking red shell

Drilled a straight hole.

IN YOUR loving FACE.

wallaka fucked around with this message at 21:19 on Apr 4, 2014

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Got the Protege's A/C working again! :woop:

Was a bit of a hassle when I snapped a bolt in the condenser. This turned a 1-hour hose replacement into an 8-hour ordeal of disassembling the front end just enough to wiggle it out, fail as screw-whisperer by snapping off both an ez-out and a drill bit on opposite ends of the shaft; ended up having to drill holes around it until it finally wiggled free, and drilled it our for a bigger through bolt (gently caress tapping a mission-critical item like that, hole was right next to the condenser inlet tube).

ANYWAY finally got all that done and installed a new drier, started charging it around 10:30. After most of the refrigerant was in the running pressures were wonky as hell, and I was getting zero cooling. Threw me for a loop until I realized I'd probably iced the evaporator. Let it sit for about an hour, just went out and tried it a minute ago.

48 degree vent temperature in just over 30 seconds (~85 ambient and humid in the garage), running pressures 26 low/205 high. :smug:

G-Mach
Feb 6, 2011
Just put a new short block in the subuaru.

AND DONE.

Ambihelical Hexnut
Aug 5, 2008
Today I installed a footswitch into my dead pedal that opens and closes the circuit to my Z06's bimode exhaust fuse, so I can be quiet in the neighborhood, loud around town, and quiet on the highway without having to put the fuse back in. VROOOOM!

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

G-Mach posted:

Just put a new short block in the subuaru.

Spun bearing?

Started playing with HID projectors, hopefully I know what I'm doing...

G-Mach
Feb 6, 2011

Bajaha posted:

Spun bearing?

Yes, the 4th rod bearing. This motor made it to 120k which isn't to bad.

Gingerbread House Music
Dec 1, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
Pulled some codes, made a list of parts to buy. Found out my ejector seat switch is defective:

Ambihelical Hexnut
Aug 5, 2008
Top switch is for cruise control.

Bottom button is for fuse control.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

I like the super-clean hole they drilled for the alarm LED.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
"drilled"... with the awl on a swiss army knife.

Viggen
Sep 10, 2010

by XyloJW
Stupid white guy poo poo. "E code" time for the 9-3. :getin:

They really need to be polished, though.

Also, ordered a replacement fog lamp wiring harness for the 9-5. Rather than chickenshit it together, I'm going to do it right.

Discovered the passenger side foglamp now has a big hole in it that wasn't there before. :ohdear: Glad I bought some replacements off of a 2001 a few months ago justin case.

Viggen fucked around with this message at 02:25 on Apr 7, 2014

emotive
Dec 26, 2006

I pulled it out of hibernation :D

SlimManFat
Nov 12, 2010

RUST RUST RUST RUST RUST RUST RUST RUST RUST RUST RUST RUST RUST RUST RUST

Picked up the 3SGTE from the machine shop and I couldn't help myself. Just slapped a few things on on for a second to see what'd it look like haha. The wrapping on that header has seen better days.

RIP Paul Walker
Feb 26, 2004

Started getting it ready to drive by putting a new battery in (bought a float charger for next time it's gonna be parked for months at a time) and a quick wash. It needs a detail badly.

http://i.imgur.com/IBkYEGp.jpg

I hate those wheels. So ugly...

Fushin
Dec 16, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Lost a tire to a pothole heading into DC today so I had to get two new front tires. Had the new ones rotated to the rear and all is well with the Cobalt now. First lost tire in 91,000 miles. Not too bad! Also ordered the 5.3 LM7 for my S10, that should be here in a few days so I can play with it next week when I'm off.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
I found some rust on my new rustfree 97 Miata. :(

But it's on a removable panel. :)

Ambihelical Hexnut
Aug 5, 2008
Replaced the exterior door open buttons on my Corvette. If you haven't been in one, there are no actual door handles, just little hidden buttons on the outside to open and push buttons on the inside to open, which is pretty hilarious to watch people figure out every time. This was made doubly difficult as the exterior buttons become physically worn out after a few years of use and only work intermittently, and since mine are six years old I decided to do them both. Cheap and easy fix, and after a 100 mile test drive I can say she pulls as hard as ever.

Nur_Neerg
Sep 1, 2004

The Lumbering but Unstoppable Sasquatch of the Appalachians
Cleaned up the front end by polishing and resealing the headlight lenses, painting most of the headlight bezel black, and removing the orange bits.

Before:

After:

Not super easy to see, but the passenger side headlight was ridiculously fogged over, and the driver side wasn't great either. Looks good now!

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Washed, weighed, and counted.

Results:
-Clean as all gently caress
-2470kg
-46.8 liters for 152 miles. 12.3 MPG highway.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

Presses are for bitches. AKG offset control arm bushings and new control arms for the DD E30.

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe

Hhhnnnngggggggggg

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Any time anyone in AI has a nice car and we point it out, something bad happens to the car. kevbarlas, bajaja, CSB, 14 (13?) inch, etc. Don't do it!

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Geirskogul posted:

Any time anyone in AI has a nice car and we point it out, something bad happens to the car. kevbarlas, bajaja, CSB, 14 (13?) inch, etc. Don't do it!

Did Viggen have really nice brain at one point or something?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

Geirskogul posted:

Whoa, what happened to kevbarlas? Was it that camper van that he had rebuilt from the ground up? :ohdear: