Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Doc V
Mar 20, 2010

Orgia Carnaval posted:

Is this true? It sounds about right, but I haven't heard of this.

Yeah, he mentioned it in an interview that I saw posted years ago on the Jojo forums (I'd link it, but it was years ago and it's past 2 am here so I really don't feel like going digging). I don't remember if he outright said that it was because of homosexuality, but it was definitely a change that his editor demanded and I know for a fact that other magazines have similar policies, so it's not really hard to put two and two together.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

Didn't you see it!? Couldn't you see my "spirit"!?
Shonen Jump: Where we depict mothers eating their babies and the KKK, but god forbid we have a gay main character!

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm the quick and the deadly
The best part of watching the new anime is realizing Joseph still hasn't fathered Josuke yet.

One thing I realized is that Holly getting a stand doesn't make much sense, plus it being the one stand that actively hurts the user. Sure Araki is inconsistent between parts and even between the beginning and end of part, but Jotaro's Star Platinum automatically protects himself from a bullet within the few chapters of the danger to Holly getting introduced.

Vilemoon
Jan 4, 2013

Unsound Of Mind.

Broseph Brostar posted:

The best part of watching the new anime is realizing Joseph still hasn't fathered Josuke yet.

One thing I realized is that Holly getting a stand doesn't make much sense, plus it being the one stand that actively hurts the user. Sure Araki is inconsistent between parts and even between the beginning and end of part, but Jotaro's Star Platinum automatically protects himself from a bullet within the few chapters of the danger to Holly getting introduced.

Its just a different type of stand. Cheap Trick is a great example of a stand that hurts you- there are just a million things a stand could be, and hers just so happens to be slow killing stand. Or, its an example of a stand for someone who isnt "strong" enough to utilize a stand.

Also, how does her getting a stand not make much sense? She is tied to Dio as much as Jotaro, if not more.

Vilemoon fucked around with this message at 22:42 on Apr 5, 2014

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole
Josuke's already four years old by the time part 3 starts, he's sick while the team is fighting Dio.

Also, I think Holly gets hurt by her stand because her body isn't made for fighting. Jotaro is the kind of guy that guys into brawls all the time, so his body can fight back against the stand, so Star Platinum can be used for his own means. Holly doesn't have the strength to stop her stand from hurting her.

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005
Basically she lacks the spiritual/psychic strength to support her Stand. Josuke had the same issue!

Zorak fucked around with this message at 23:07 on Apr 5, 2014

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

That doesn't explain how she got her stand though. Just because Jonathan's body got poked with an arrow, all the sudden everybody related to him developed stands even if they couldn't support them? Why didn't Suzie Q get a stand?

VVV: oh yeah that makes sense :doh:

tap my mountain fucked around with this message at 23:02 on Apr 5, 2014

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Because Suzi Q doesn't have Joestar blood in her, it's pretty loving simple.

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005

Broseph Brostar posted:

That doesn't explain how she got her stand though. Just because Jonathan's body got poked with an arrow, all the sudden everybody related to him developed stands even if they couldn't support them? Why didn't Suzie Q get a stand?

Suzie Q married into the family? Do you think that people who marry into a family suddenly gain the same genetic lineage as said family?

The point is that everyone in the bloodline itself developed a stand due to SONO CHI NO SADAME or some other made up excuse for it to happen. It's JoJo, don't overthink it.

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I never realized it, but Holly really is the only non-protagonist Joestar.

VVVV: I shoulda clarified that being after the advent of stands.

tap my mountain fucked around with this message at 23:10 on Apr 5, 2014

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Broseph Brostar posted:

I never realized it, but Holly really is the only non-protagonist Joestar.

How could you forget our good buddy George Joestar II.

STANKBALLS TASTYLEGS
Oct 12, 2012

Jorge II got his own novel about his adventures, Jorge I was one of the only non-protagonist Joestars.

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

Really if Joseph had had more than one kid the fight against Dio would have been a lot easier. Imagine if him and his 6 beefy grandkids had rolled up to Egypt.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Ethiser posted:

Really if Joseph had had more than one kid the fight against Dio would have been a lot easier. Imagine if him and his 6 beefy grandkids had rolled up to Egypt.

The family would have ran out of Jo names pretty fast.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
In the Jojo universe a lot of people who die from really bad flus or similar diseases are probably people who awakened stands without the strength to use them. Then again if a baby can use a stand anyone should be able to.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Stairmaster posted:

Jotaro and Jolyne only work because of Japanese naming order, and GioGio is really bending it. I think they'd be safe at least until they ran out of soft G/J sounds.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

WickedHate posted:

Jotaro and Jolyne only work because of Japanese naming order, and GioGio is really bending it. I think they'd be safe at least until they ran out of soft G/J sounds.

They could take some advice from 19 Kids and Counting.

LvK
Feb 27, 2006

FIVE STARS!!

Stairmaster posted:

Joanna! Josie! Jobim! Jobriath! Joe! Joanne! LET'S KICK SOME rear end!

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

RatHat posted:

In the Jojo universe a lot of people who die from really bad flus or similar diseases are probably people who awakened stands without the strength to use them. Then again if a baby can use a stand anyone should be able to.

To be fair Mannish Boy is stated as being a very intelligent baby who actually has the capacity to actually manifest his stand. That being said it's been stated Polnareff's had his since he was a little kid, so it's possible that baby stand users are more common than they seem.

Or maybe Araki just thought it would be funny to have a baby be fed poop so he made that character, who knows?

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Orgia Carnaval posted:

To be fair Mannish Boy is stated as being a very intelligent baby who actually has the capacity to actually manifest his stand. That being said it's been stated Polnareff's had his since he was a little kid, so it's possible that baby stand users are more common than they seem.

Or maybe Araki just thought it would be funny to have a baby be fed poop so he made that character, who knows?

I more meant the invisible baby in Part 4.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Abdul and Kakyoin also had their stands since birth, didn't they? I know Abdul definitely said it in the anime, at least. I love when Araki doesn't even try and make things consistent.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

RatHat posted:

I more meant the invisible baby in Part 4.

I completely forgot about Shizuka.

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005

Momomo posted:

Abdul and Kakyoin also had their stands since birth, didn't they? I know Abdul definitely said it in the anime, at least. I love when Araki doesn't even try and make things consistent.

It could just be that if you are born with a stand, you can grow with it, while if you suddenly just gain a stand, it can kill you. They made a point of that with the Arrow for example.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Orgia Carnaval posted:

So did Araki. :(

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Orgia Carnaval posted:

achtung baby was probably a diabolical psychopath too though

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

FirstAidKite posted:

So did Araki. :(

He never forgot about her. She just had no relevance anymore.

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005
And then she was erased along with everyone else in the timeline reboot.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

We got the superior Zeppeli out of the deal so it's all good. As with all things Araki, just gotta roll with it.

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

I don't think the SBR Universe is the one that you see at the end of part 6. I think it's just a complete continuity reboot. Araki said part 4 and part 8 are in "parallel worlds" in this ASB interview.
Going by Made in Heaven's effect, the only people that wouldn't exist in the new world would be the ones Pucci killed with his stand, and those characters were still around in some different incarnation (Irene/Anakiss/etc.). So in theory all the other Joestars would still exist, right?

jyrque
Sep 4, 2011

Gravy Boat 2k
TBH I don't think even Araki knows. :v: He pretty much goes with the flow as he always has, plot holes and inconsistencies and all.

boredsatellite
Dec 7, 2013

And nobody really cares because SBR was the best thing ever. I want that animated in my lifetime

Hace
Feb 13, 2012

<<Mobius 1, Engage.>>

boredsatellite posted:

And nobody really cares because SBR was the best thing ever. I want that animated in my lifetime

Ugh seriously. Even if it has Phantom Blood levels of budget, I just want to have SBR in motion.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

I loved Part 1 animated for a lot of reasons but specifically with as limited animation as it had cuz just felt right for that part of the manga.

Doc V
Mar 20, 2010

RatHat posted:

It's not really an "if you have X willpower you can use a stand" thing - the more powerful the stand, the more willpower you need to keep it under control. Remember when Jolyne tried on Star Platinum's stand disc and realized that she couldn't control it at all? Achtung Baby doesn't exactly seem powerful, so it would probably be pretty easy to control, and most people who had their stands from birth would likely initially manifest much weaker (and therefore easier to handle) versions of their stand. We did see the child version of Chariot in the Alessi arc and it appeared to be pretty much unable to actually fight back against an adult.

Ketchupface
Aug 1, 2010
Things that can handle a stand and therefore are stronger-willed than Holy Joestar:

A turtle, two trees, a rat, a dog, three babies, an orangutan, a ton of plankton, a dead cat and a bird.

Nahxela
Oct 11, 2008

Execution
I wonder how weird it would be to first have your Stand awaken and it's a loving cruise ship.

Spacedad
Sep 11, 2001

We go play orbital catch around the curvature of the earth, son.
Well, it would be nice to have a stand that's big enough to throw a huge party on.

I don't see how anyone sensible with that power would ever want to do anything other than float around on the ocean and chill out though. Dio would basically HAVE to mind control me to get me to want to battle any other stand users. I mean, I have a loving cruise ship stand I could just ride around on forever not bothering anyone else.

Figures that perfectly chill power would go to an rear end in a top hat ape. :mad:

Spacedad fucked around with this message at 11:03 on Apr 6, 2014

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Nahxela posted:

I wonder how weird it would be to first have your Stand awaken and it's a loving cruise ship.

Not much if you're a hyper intelligent gorilla

Spacedad
Sep 11, 2001

We go play orbital catch around the curvature of the earth, son.

DamnGlitch posted:

I loved Part 1 animated for a lot of reasons but specifically with as limited animation as it had cuz just felt right for that part of the manga.

Yeah, it was a weird case where the budget fit the story really. It's like the animation studio is undergoing a mirror of Araki's own artistic growth.

Now they need to do a Baoh anime that looks like original Gatchaman level quality of budget. :v:

As a side note, I have a real soft spot for Baoh - biohorror mutants and teenagers endowed with scientific superpowers is just such a delightfully 80's thing. :allears:

Spacedad fucked around with this message at 11:11 on Apr 6, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

Orgia Carnaval posted:

They should authorize one of those spin-off light novels about her. You could do some fun stuff with invisibility and the power to turn other things invisible.

• Locked thread