Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Looking cute, feeling cute.

Dr. Buttass posted:

Mofo wasn't even trying to make a gateway. He literally just tore a gash in the train to intimidate Spender. "Hey look I can gently caress up this thing you were using maybe you'd better run. What, there were kids on there? Well why didn't you stop me you dumbass?"

Wasn't he using the metal to make a weapon or something? So it wasn't completely just for the hubris factor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Roland Jones posted:

Forge is also a spirit, though, so that point is kind of silly. If it were just "humans > spirits" Forge wouldn't be attacking Spender at all. Forge maimed a being like himself, and one that may or may not have had others on it as well, so that he could get away. Even ignoring the Ghost Train's sentience and possible sapience, though, Forge derailed a train and his justification is "well I didn't know there were kids on that train".

My point is that harming a spiritual entity isn't the same as harming a human. Most people I know can't regenerate themselves from spirit energy when harmed, or put themselves into healing trances while possessing mundane objects if they break a leg. Yes the train possesses emotions and awareness of its' body, but at the risk of sounding callous it will be fine.

Hypocrisy
Oct 4, 2006
Lord of Sarcasm

Probably Magic posted:

Wasn't he using the metal to make a weapon or something? So it wasn't completely just for the hubris factor.

Forge's plan was to make the train run away so Spender would have to catch it because otherwise he won't be able to get back into town.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
Also relevant, I think, is the fact the train is a tool in the hands of a shadowy conspiracy that's sealed a town in an invisible dome. It's not a noncombatant.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Rand Brittain posted:

Also relevant, I think, is the fact the train is a tool in the hands of a shadowy conspiracy that's sealed a town in an invisible dome. It's not a noncombatant.

It's a poltergeist, actually, unless Zach's comment on that one strip was completely irrelevant to its contents. Also Spender referred to that one woman "taming" the train, which would presumably be unnecessary if it were a tool.

Also, he still, you know, derailed (so to speak) the train that could have had (and did have) other people in it.

Angry Walrus
Aug 31, 2013

Quinn it
to
Win it.
I think he means tool as in a thing or person that is used, rather than a possessed object.

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off
I really like what Zack did with the speech bubble colors in this page. Shading between pink and blue to help show how heated/cold Spencer's speech is... It's classy.

Looks like he's been doing this on the last few pages, too (e.g. here); I just hadn't noticed.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Dr. Buttass posted:

Mofo wasn't even trying to make a gateway. He literally just tore a gash in the train to intimidate Spender. "Hey look I can gently caress up this thing you were using maybe you'd better run. What, there were kids on there? Well why didn't you stop me you dumbass?"
He gashed up the train so Spender would have to go chase it. There was an entire page on this. If this were English class Starchman would be getting his noodle out.

Radiochromatic
Feb 17, 2011

Roland Jones posted:

It's a poltergeist, actually, unless Zach's comment on that one strip was completely irrelevant to its contents. Also Spender referred to that one woman "taming" the train, which would presumably be unnecessary if it were a tool.

Also, he still, you know, derailed (so to speak) the train that could have had (and did have) other people in it.

Pretty sure Forge had no reason to suspect anybody beyond Spender would be on the train. He was told that the most powerful Spectral would be on it, and that implies that he would have no back-up. Why would he? And even if he did, if the most powerful Spectral is on that train, then why would children also be there? It's a matter of missing pieces. Forge has no reason to chase after the train as his intent is to get inside Mayview through the "Usual Method". He has no reason not to maim the thing for metal, when the single most powerful Spectral has shown aggression. Forge, from his perspective, fought Spender with the assumption that anything less than all-out would be suicide. He can't run, he has no weapon, and he's up against the strongest anything to have ever existed. In the long run of logical calculations, which is how he sees it, he's doing what he has to in order to survive and presumably do good. Maybe.

Of course Spender is under the assumption that Forge is likely a threat to Mayview, which he has been tasked with preventing. Forge very well may be a real threat, too. From Spender's perspective, Forge is the leader of the most evil creatures he's encountered, and he can't afford to let this go unchecked, especially when Agent Day is scheduled to enter Mayview for some unknown purpose. We know Spender doesn't like it, and that he wants her to leave as soon as possible. He also sees her as a threat, one which he had to assess the murderability of. He's under a lot of pressure to perform, and Forge is the major thorn in his side.

Of course the real question is who do the Pixel Dogs work for to want to pit Forge and Spender against one another? Or are the dogs doing it of their own accord? Do they see Forge as threat enough to trick Spender into killing him, or is it the other way around? Are they buying time for someone else to breach the barrier? It's all very well planned out, anyway. Whoever is up to this has to know the both of them well enough to be sure that they wouldn't find a way to strike up a truce.

Simsmagic
Aug 3, 2011

im beautiful

An appreciated change of setting. I like the alt-text on this one.

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
Poor Max, ya almost had a solid plan. I really enjoy how Zack doesn't go the lazy route and make the main character an immediate expert on controlling their powers unlike other lame rear end son prodigies stories. Also Isabel is so crazy that her plan should work. :v:

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
Max is gonna die and the rest of the comic will be Isabel crippled by guilt and self doubt over her rashness indirectly killing him, leading to many serious arcs dealing with near suicidal depression until Ed and Isaac finally convince her that she has to let go and move on with her life

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Isabel's a freaking badass with her spectral limbs. Screw the tool, Max, that's a way cooler superpower.

Matlock Birthmark
Sep 24, 2005

I wanted this to happen!!
Soiled Meat

MikeJF posted:

Isabel's a freaking badass with her spectral limbs. Screw the tool, Max, that's a way cooler superpower.

Ya. It seems a well trained spectral even without a tool is fairly versatile.

Dr. Buttass
Aug 12, 2013

AWFUL SOMETHING

AnonSpore posted:

Max is gonna die and the rest of the comic will be Isabel crippled by guilt and self doubt over her rashness indirectly killing him, leading to many serious arcs dealing with near suicidal depression until Ed and Isaac finally convince her that she has to let go and move on with her life

But it's actually okay because then Max will be a ghost and he'll just haunt Isabel or Mr. Spender or something.

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

Your life's been thrown in disarray already--I wouldn't want you to feel pressured.

College Slice

Dr. Buttass posted:

But it's actually okay because then Max will be a ghost and he'll just haunt Isabel or Mr. Spender or something.

Not OK, no making light of plot twists that would make Max's super adorable family unhappy.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"

Mystic Mongol posted:

Not OK, no making light of plot twists that would make Max's super adorable family unhappy.

It's okay he'll haunt his family too

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

AnonSpore posted:

It's okay he'll haunt his family too
Max seems like a fellow with sufficient self confidence to go full poltergeist. Him and lefty messin' with his dad all day every day.

Nick_326
Nov 3, 2011

History's Latest Monster
Banner ad on the Cucumber Quest site:

Paranatural: Cool Friends Do Ghost Things

Also, Paranatural is in the final four of this thing:

http://www.comicmix.com/mix-march-madness-webcomics-tournament/2014/04/04/final-four-mix-march-madness-2014-webcomics-tournament-vote-now/

Scrap Dragon
Oct 6, 2013

SECRET TECHNIQUE:
DARK SHADOW
BLACK FALLEN ANGEL!

The side ad is even better.

:allears:

Scrap Dragon fucked around with this message at 17:51 on Apr 5, 2014

Paramemetic
Sep 29, 2003

Area 51. You heard of it, right?

Fallen Rib

Nick_326 posted:

Banner ad on the Cucumber Quest site:

Paranatural: Cool Friends Do Ghost Things

Also, Paranatural is in the final four of this thing:

http://www.comicmix.com/mix-march-madness-webcomics-tournament/2014/04/04/final-four-mix-march-madness-2014-webcomics-tournament-vote-now/

Toss up on this between Paranatural and Ava's Demon. I think Paranatural's the best but Ava's Demon has that kind of homestucky thing going with occasional videos, and is actually really well done.

The other two look pretty bad.

donges
Aug 4, 2012

I'd rather be vomiting and I despise vomiting. Blegh!

Paramemetic posted:

Monsterkind is a good webcomic, I think - I do think it's a little too short at the moment to win this, though.

aegof
Mar 2, 2011

Scrap Dragon posted:

Paranatural is definitely too anime.

Paramemetic
Sep 29, 2003

Fallen Rib

donges posted:

Monsterkind is a good webcomic, I think - I do think it's a little too short at the moment to win this, though.

A bit too short and I'll be honest, I got turned off immediately due to the penny arcade noses. They hurt me.

donges
Aug 4, 2012

I'd rather be vomiting and I despise vomiting. Blegh!

Paramemetic posted:

A bit too short and I'll be honest, I got turned off immediately due to the penny arcade noses. They hurt me.

Yeah I'm not a huge fan of the noses but I like pretty much everything else about it, and also not every character has one of those so it doesn't bother me much I guess. I think it has a lot of good things!

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.

Paramemetic posted:

Toss up on this between Paranatural and Ava's Demon. I think Paranatural's the best but Ava's Demon has that kind of homestucky thing going with occasional videos, and is actually really well done.

Ava's demon looks nice, but, and i may be misremembering, isn't it released at a geological timescale?

Paramemetic
Sep 29, 2003

Fallen Rib

Prison Warden posted:

Ava's demon looks nice, but, and i may be misremembering, isn't it released at a geological timescale?

It might be. It's one frame at a time and I only just mainlined it yesterday while scoping out Zach's competition.

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

Paramemetic posted:

It might be. It's one frame at a time and I only just mainlined it yesterday while scoping out Zach's competition.

It's updated with several panels at once weekly (not now because it's on break). It was twice weekly for a few months recently, too.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

kidcoelacanth posted:

It's updated with several panels at once weekly (not now because it's on break). It was twice weekly for a few months recently, too.

The pacing has improved significantly since it switched to twice a week.

Paramemetic
Sep 29, 2003

Fallen Rib
That's good because I really like the art and it has an interesting premise to boot, so I'm happy to hear that once it returns from break it will be updating with fair regularity. I'm spoiled by Gunnerkrigg, and Unsounded, which tend to update without flaw, and Paranatural which only misses a day or two here or there.

Nick_326
Nov 3, 2011

History's Latest Monster

Scrap Dragon posted:

From July 2013:

Nick_326 posted:

http://paranatural.net/chapter-4-page-25/

We should really get into the habit of linking new comics. Would probably be helpful to people who are new to the comic and like to read these threads from the start.

Unless his mom was British, that seems unlikely.

Also, check out the Paranatural banner on the Hiveworks affiliate page:

PUNCH GHOSTS REAL HARD.

You're slow.

Anyway, I don't know how many of you were following the tournament, but the previous round was Paranatural vs Cucumber Quest, the Sophie's Choice of webcomic decisions.

The current votes (after I just voted, at least):

Paranatural: 19% (198)
Ava's Demon: 13% (137)

Grrl Power: 36% (385)
Monsterkind: 32% (334)

Also, Monsterkind is a good comic. You guys are way too concerned about noses. :colbert:

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010
Ava's Demon is awful because it tries to have a homestuck-level of plot complexity and cast size from the very beginning of the story. It just dumps loads of characters and conspiracies on you without giving you any reason to give a poo poo.

I don't know what grrl power is but I'm sure it's worse than paranatural

vvv that is true, the artistry is stunning

A big flaming stink fucked around with this message at 19:30 on Apr 6, 2014

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

A big flaming stink posted:

Ava's Demon is awful because it tries to have a homestuck-level of plot complexity and cast size from the very beginning of the story. It just dumps loads of characters and conspiracies on you without giving you any reason to give a poo poo.

OTOH it's pretty as heck.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

A big flaming stink posted:

Ava's Demon is awful because it tries to have a homestuck-level of plot complexity and cast size from the very beginning of the story. It just dumps loads of characters and conspiracies

Dude there are like 7-8 characters and a mostly-unexplored conspiracy and a half so far. If that's too much for you I don't think it's the comic that's the problem :mmmhmm:

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010
tbh i just dont think its interesting

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

Yeah, I like to look at the pretty art sometimes but the story just never grabs my interest

Dr. Buttass
Aug 12, 2013

AWFUL SOMETHING

Nick_326 posted:

Also, Monsterkind is a good comic. You guys are way too concerned about noses. :colbert:

Yeah fuckin' seriously. "Penny Arcade noses." gently caress kinda complaint is that. I've watched/read/played stuff with way more atrocious aesthetics than "Penny Arcade noses" because the plot was still good.

Whitenoise Poster
Mar 26, 2010

I don't care much about Ava's Demons but those specific complaints are really funny in the context of this thread considering that Paranatural already has a huge cast and two human factions and AT LEAST two, possibly as many as four, spirit factions, with competing agendas and filled with individuals who themselves have their own mysterious agendas.

I just counted. 31 characters important enough to make the cast page by this point in chapter four.

Edit:And I just noticed Scraps isn't even on there. No Spenders spirits either. So that's 35 including them and Ed's unknown spirit.

Whitenoise Poster fucked around with this message at 21:54 on Apr 6, 2014

Meowjesty
Oct 23, 2009

Friends depend on each other.
Important is kind of relative. At least half if the characters on the cast page don't actually need to be there and aren't very important to the story at all. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Whitenoise Poster
Mar 26, 2010

Aren't very important to the story at all yet.