Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter

Misandu posted:

How do you think they should value their older games if they're overestimating them now? I know Super Mario RPG was just a Club Nintendo reward, and I know how much it would cost me to play that game if I wanted to buy it somewhere besides the E-Shop, so I don't really see how $7.99 or like 300 coins is an overestimation.

My main issue is that they have simple short early NES titles as $5 still. I think Excitebike is rad as hell but I still don't think I can get $5 out of it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AngryCaterpillar
Feb 1, 2007

I DREW THIS

Misandu posted:

How do you think they should value their older games if they're overestimating them now? I know Super Mario RPG was just a Club Nintendo reward, and I know how much it would cost me to play that game if I wanted to buy it somewhere besides the E-Shop, so I don't really see how $7.99 or like 300 coins is an overestimation.

SMRPG for the Wii Virtual Console was 150 coins. That's about, I don't know, $100 worth of spending on games to get that many coins. It's pretty ungenerous. Compare it to Playstation Plus and the difference is ridiculous. PS+ gives you constant discounts as well as free, full size, current generation games that you are entitled to whenever your subscription is active from that point on. Nintendo also has that digital promotion where you get 10% back from what you spend on the Wii U eShop, but that's only until the end of this year. They have no worthwhile reward system.

There's already been discussion about the high prices of Virtual Console games compared to Playstation classics. Compared to any other online ecosystem, Nintendo's pricing systems lack any "wow factor" that might compel someone to visit the eShop regularly, instead of once in a while. Every purchase becomes a decision instead of an impulse. Nintendo should be trying to get consumers to basically live on the eShop, always hanging out for deals they can jump on. As it is now, Nintendo seems to see the internet as a periphery novelty. They don't recognise that the internet, as something always active and dynamic, defines the way people live these days, and defines the prices of downloadable games. The eShop has no dynamism or activity, it is static and dead.

Katana Gomai
Jan 14, 2007

"Thus," concluded Miyamoto, "you must give up everything you have to be my disciple."

AngryCaterpillar posted:

SMRPG for the Wii Virtual Console was 150 coins. That's about, I don't know, $100 worth of spending on games to get that many coins.

Someone is going to make a bitchpost about "spergs complaining about free stuff" but I want you to know that I agree with you. Same with the Stars in Club Nintendo Europe, something like the a 3DS pouch costing 2500 Stars when you get 200-250 for a single game is ridiculous.

Crawfish
Dec 11, 2012

Well it really is spergs complaining about free stuff in the end, regardless of what one may think of it.

Though I do agree with the way it's done locally, there's barely even a point to registering anything, and it isn't much better in the rest of Europe or America. Besides the whole "stars for Virtual Console stuff" thing NOA has got going on, they do put such subpar stuff out at such stupid funbux prices that there's very little good will coming in for them from it, so it's pretty much a pointless endeavour in the way its currently done.

JesustheDarkLord
May 22, 2006

#VolsDeep
Lipstick Apathy
The Wii U is basically the first Nintendo system I didn't early adopt and I still don't have Super Metroid.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

The main problem with them offering SMRPG was that it was marketed as a "wiiu" game when it actually was a wii VC game. so yeah, all excitement vanished when I realized it was something I'd have to loving go into Wii mode for and then get my wiimote to play as opposed to sweet offscreen play. not only is it more annoying but this downplays their own loving gimmick controller.

I really can't remember the last time I spent my points besides the 3DS game case, and even then I still had like 500 coins left over. The poo poo they offer game-wise is almost always dreck.

Agrias120
Jun 27, 2002

I will burn my dread.

Crawfish posted:

Well it really is spergs complaining about free stuff in the end, regardless of what one may think of it.

Though I do agree with the way it's done locally, there's barely even a point to registering anything, and it isn't much better in the rest of Europe or America. Besides the whole "stars for Virtual Console stuff" thing NOA has got going on, they do put such subpar stuff out at such stupid funbux prices that there's very little good will coming in for them from it, so it's pretty much a pointless endeavour in the way its currently done.

I basically just hold onto my coins for the rare VC game that hits that I want. I bought the 3DS micofiber pouch and it is amazing, but the rest of the "normal" items don't interest me. Some of the rare/temporary stuff that pops up is cool but I'm often not fast enough to get one of them and they almost never put up a second wave of stock.

It would be nice if they extended the stock to include some other licensed Nintendo stuff. I'd spend all of my coins on some of the Mario blind-box figures, etc.

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar
They desperately need to bring back the XL charging cradles. Is there anywhere other than Nintendo's site to get one aside from paying up the rear end elsewhere?

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

Louisgod posted:

They desperately need to bring back the XL charging cradles. Is there anywhere other than Nintendo's site to get one aside from paying up the rear end elsewhere?

Apparently they are getting restocked later on this month. Not entirely sure where I heard that though.

Froist
Jun 6, 2004

Louisgod posted:

I bought one from Amazon (UK) for £20 when I bought an XL recently. That includes a charging cable, not sure if that still counts as up the rear end though.

PoshAlligator
Jan 9, 2012

When SEO just isn't enough.
VC-Price Chat:

I loved picking up SMB1&2 for £1.79 in the recent sales. That's a good sweet spot for me on games that old. I just wish they did some sort of regular weekly featured sale at that price-point.

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

Awake and unreal, off to nowhere
Comparing PS+ to Club Nintendo doesn't make any sense. I don't get anything by purchasing $60 games for the PS4. I have to pay separately to get the PS+ deals.

From Club Nintendo I've got a gold nunchuck, a 3DS charging crate, a Zelda soundtrack, 3 Zelda posters, buttons, playing cards, a nice pouch to hold my 3DS, more posters that I forgot about, a ton of games for 150 points and a lot of other poo poo i'm forgetting all for doing what I do normally...buying Nintendo games and taking an insignificant amount of time to fill out some surveys.

Yea gently caress Nintendo and their lovely "free" service for overcharging us.

katkillad2 fucked around with this message at 04:45 on Apr 7, 2014

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

~As for dreams, she has enough and more to spare~
Seriously caring about the Club Nintendo coin to dollar value only makes sense if you're specifically buying video games in order to get more coins, and in that case you don't make sense don't that you big idiot. They're just dumb free things you get for buying what you normally would have bought it's not an $800 Yoshi t-shirt unless you actually bought $800 worth of video games you wouldn't have otherwise specifically to get a Yoshi t-shirt and if you did god help you.

And yeah comparing it to PS+ makes zero sense. They're not even remotely trying to be the same thing.

Champeenship
Oct 9, 2012
Welp, it looks like Nintendo has Steam in mind now.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?

I hope we get the click-bait article that goes "STEAM is going to be exclusive to the Wii U next year" :3:

In regards to Club Nintendo, it'd be nice for it to be better value, but hey, getting an extra classic game for every two and a half you buy is nice.

AngryCaterpillar
Feb 1, 2007

I DREW THIS
The specifics of how each functions is different, obviously. You're both missing the point. Whether you're buying a subscription or a continuous supply of games, spending a continuous amount of money on each platform results in receiving additional games at no extra charge (as PS+ already includes discounts on games you can keep). Is it fair to compare the rewards of a subscription based program to a free rewards program? Nope! Unfortunately Nintendo invite these comparisons because they have no rewards program that provides equivalent value. Nintendo has no program that is analogous to PlayStation Plus or Xbox Live Games with Gold. So people pointing to other means of getting free or practically free games on other platforms is inevitable.

absolutely anything posted:

and in that case you don't make sense don't that you big idiot.

:confused:

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

I just want Nintendo to have a sit down with Valve for like, one week, to shoot the poo poo. And then maybe come out of it with an understanding of how to drive people to the eShop with discounts, discounted bundles, daily deals, seasonal sales, etc.

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

Awake and unreal, off to nowhere

AngryCaterpillar posted:

The specifics of how each functions is different, obviously. You're both missing the point. Whether you're buying a subscription or a continuous supply of games, spending a continuous amount of money on each platform results in receiving additional games at no extra charge (as PS+ already includes discounts on games you can keep). Is it fair to compare the rewards of a subscription based program to a free rewards program? Nope! Unfortunately Nintendo invite these comparisons because they have no rewards program that provides equivalent value. Nintendo has no program that is analogous to PlayStation Plus or Xbox Live Games with Gold. So people pointing to other means of getting free or practically free games on other platforms is inevitable.

They've got the 10% point thing for the Wii U, in which case I would say yea it's an incredibly lovely value/deal compared to something like PS+. People are quick to forget about the $30 eshop gift card deal they had, the buy two get one free deal/deals, the .30 cent promotion and the buy a system and get a free game deals.

Specifically though, I'm pointing out how strange it is to put a dollar value on something that you would be doing normally. I mean, it sounds kind of strange to say something like, "You are an idiot if you don't register your games, because those 50-60 points are worth $50-60 dollars towards these $200 dollar nintendo games that you could purchase for $5-8 dollars if you really wanted to."

It's like playing the monopoly game at McDonalds and being pissed off that you spent $10 dollars on food and all you won was a free coke.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter

AngryCaterpillar posted:

:confused:

Microsoft didn't have a similar system until last year and it's been a really lovely showing, though they did have a similar rewards program that was actually far worse than Club Nintendo. It just happens that Sony seems to get digital distro a whole lot better than their two competitors.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

Quest For Glory II posted:

I just want Nintendo to have a sit down with Valve for like, one week, to shoot the poo poo. And then maybe come out of it with an understanding of how to drive people to the eShop with discounts, discounted bundles, daily deals, seasonal sales, etc.

and account system.

AngryCaterpillar
Feb 1, 2007

I DREW THIS

katkillad2 posted:

I'm pointing out how strange it is to put a dollar value on something that you would be doing normally. I mean, it sounds kind of strange to say something like, "You are an idiot if you don't register your games, because those 50-60 points are worth $50-60 dollars towards these $200 dollar nintendo games that you could purchase for $5-8 dollars if you really wanted to."

It's like playing the monopoly game at McDonalds and being pissed off that you spent $10 dollars on food and all you won was a free coke.

"You would be doing it normally" isn't cut and dry. It's hard to claim whether or not someone would have made a purchase if there was no deal of free things associated with it. Presumably that's the whole point of Club Nintendo, to encourage people to buy and register games. Otherwise, why does it exist? You could say it's to show goodwill for customers' loyalty with no manipulation involved, but then you're saying that the intention is charitable. So it exists as an analogue to the programs of other platforms, just a completely meagre and out of touch equivalent. Nintendo needs more schemes and deals that provide the value of Steam or PS+.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

AngryCaterpillar posted:

"You would be doing it normally" isn't cut and dry. It's hard to claim whether or not someone would have made a purchase if there was no deal of free things associated with it. Presumably that's the whole point of Club Nintendo, to encourage people to buy and register games. Otherwise, why does it exist? You could say it's to show goodwill for customers' loyalty with no manipulation involved, but then you're saying that the intention is charitable. So it exists as an analogue to the programs of other platforms, just a completely meagre and out of touch equivalent. Nintendo needs more schemes and deals that provide the value of Steam or PS+.

Club Nintendo exists so Nintendo can collect data from their costumers.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up
PaletteSwappedNinja, please post your eshop updates elsewhere so I never have to read another post about Nintendo on this website ever again.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

Club Nintendo exists to lure people away from used games. I wouldn't be surprised if Nintendo were as bad at datamining as they are at the rest of the modern video game business.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

elf help book posted:

PaletteSwappedNinja, please post your eshop updates elsewhere so I never have to read another post about Nintendo on this website ever again.

It's only a matter of time at this point.

AngryCaterpillar
Feb 1, 2007

I DREW THIS
The thread tag is Whine what do you expect

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

Quest For Glory II posted:

Screw that, just have Valve explain what an account system is, and illustrate the benefits of having content available on the eShop.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
PAL update (week of April 10):

quote:

WII U RETAIL DOWNLOADS
    LEGO The Hobbit (April 11) - €49.99 / £39.99
WII U eSHOP
    Batman Arkham Origins Blackgate HD - €19.99 / £15.99
WII U VIRTUAL CONSOLE
    Kirby and the Amazing Mirror (GBA) - €6.99 / £6.29
    WarioWare Inc: Microgame Mania (GBA) - €6.99 / £6.29
WII U SALES/PROMOTIONS
    Mario Kart 8/Super Mario Kart digital promotion - buy Super Mario Kart on the VC, get a €7.99 / £5.49 discount on Mario Kart 8! Starts May 30, ends June 30.
    Nano Assault Neo (Wii U eShop) - €7.49 / £6.70 until April 10
    Ducktales Remastered (Wii U eShop) - €7.49 / £5.99 from April 10-17
    TNT Racers - Nitro Machines Edition (Wii U eShop) - €4.99 / £4.49 from April 10-24

3DS RETAIL DOWNLOADS
    LEGO The Hobbit (April 11) - €39.99 / £34.99
    MYST - €9.99 / £8.99 (permanent price reduction)
3DS eSHOP
    Governor of Poker - €4.99 / £4.49
    Mystery Case Files: Dire Grove - €11.99 / £10.79
    Mystery Case Files: Ravenhearst - €11.99 / £10.79
    Urban Trial Freestyle - €4.99 / £4.49 (permanent price reduction)
3DS SALES/PROMOTIONS
    Nano Assault EX (3DS eShop) - €7.49 / £6.35 until April 10
    Art of Balance TOUCH! (3DS eShop) - €5.20 / £4.70 until April 10
    Jett Rockett 2: Wrath of Taikai (3DS eShop) - €6.70 / £5.70 until April 10
    Angry Bunnies (3DS eShop) - €4.85 / £4.49 from until April 17
    Fishdom H20: Hidden Odyssey (3DS eShop) - €3.74 / £3.35 until April 17
    Snow Moto Racing 3D (3DS eShop) - €5.99 / £5.39 until April 17
    Real Heroes: Firefighters 3D (3DS eShop) - €4.99 / £4.49 until April 17
    4 Elements (3DS eShop) - €5.99 / £5.39 from April 10-May 8
    Jewel Quest Mysteries 3: The Seventh Gate (3DS eShop) - €5.99 / £5.39 from April 10-May 8
    Jewel Quest 4 Heritage (3DS eShop) - €5.99 / £5.39 from April 10-May 8
    Luxor (3DS eShop) - €5.99 / £5.39 from April 10-May 8
    Secret Mysteries in London (3DS eShop) - €5.99 / £5.39 from April 10-May 8

WarioWare is fantastic, and Kirby ain't too bad, either. (This particular one is a metroidvania.)

Did any of you NA dudes try the Batman port?

Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck Myst.

RMZXAnarchy
Sep 9, 2011

*Insert Sailor Jupiter joke here*
Too bad Amazing Mirror will be without its central gimmick since Multiplayer is a no-go. Still totally worth it though, Warioware is as well.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

I only played a little bit of Amazing Mirror but it confused the gently caress out of me.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up

AngryCaterpillar posted:

The thread tag is Whine what do you expect

You're right and I'm being serious. :)

AngryCaterpillar
Feb 1, 2007

I DREW THIS

elf help book posted:

You're right and I'm being serious. :)

No poo poo. Here's a tip: press the question mark under someone's avatar and you will only see that person's posts. Then you will never have to read (or reply to) anyone else's posts in this thread again!

AngryCaterpillar fucked around with this message at 11:28 on Apr 7, 2014

Champeenship
Oct 9, 2012

irlZaphod posted:

I only played a little bit of Amazing Mirror but it confused the gently caress out of me.

Yeah, Amazing Mirror is unapologetically obscure with its map. I haven't played since it was released as an ambassador title, but I remember it almost never helped to point you in the right direction. I guess it being the first mainline Kirby game not primarily developed by HAL may have something to do with it.

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica
I couldn't really get into Amazing Mirror when I tried playing it. I'm usually down for Metroid and IGAvanias and whatever but the way the rooms are linked together and represented on the map felt disjointed and I just kinda stopped after a while.

Everyone should buy Nightmare in Dreamland when it comes out, though.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Yeah I only played it through its Ambassador release. I think I was expecting a typical Kirby game, which I haven't even played a lot of as it is, so not having sort of linear level progression messed with my head. I think I found a door leading to a big room with more doors, and there were lots of different coloured Kirbys, and I got confused and scared. The game really doesn't tell you anything when you start it.

Crawfish
Dec 11, 2012

The map is better than nothing, but its not much more than that.

It's the sort of thing that will confuse the gently caress out of you on your first time with the game, but even when you get to the point where you fully understand the map, it's more of a vague outline of the game than anything truly helpful.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Surprise addition: the NOE website has the digital version of Kid Icarus Uprising listed for this Wednesday:

http://www.nintendo.co.uk/Games/Nintendo-3DS/Kid-Icarus-Uprising-274281.html

I'm guessing it wasn't on the press release because it's connected to the upcoming Smash Direct somehow, but what do I know.

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

I'm guessing it wasn't on the press release because it's connected to the upcoming Smash Direct somehow, but what do I know.

Palutena and/or Magnus joining the roster :swoon:

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

So is Blackgate any good? I might pick it up since I have Amazing Mirror and Wario Ware on my 3DS already.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Just posted this in Wii U thread but thought it might as well go here.

The new club nintendo rewards games are up. They are Super Mario World for the Wii U, Art Academy First Semester 3ds, Trajectile 3ds, and Mario Golf for the wii. All of them except Mario Golf for the Wii are 200 coins. Mario Golf is 250.

Super Mario World for the Wii U has got to be one of the best games they have given away.