Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

notthegoatseguy posted:

No. The entire focus is on Peter.

Actually it's all on Johnny Storm but I can see how you would make that mistake.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Actually it's all on Johnny Storm but I can see how you would make that mistake.

Bobby had the best take on Peter's future.

DFu4ever
Oct 4, 2002

notthegoatseguy posted:

USM 200 was a complete punch to the gut. I feel really bad for Kitty after reading that.

Yeah, that moment in 200 surprised me and was quite sad. I always thought that Kitty and Peter's brief relationship was really entertaining, and it actually made me a fan of her character in the Ultimate universe.

Inkspot
Dec 3, 2013

I believe I have
an appointment.
Mr. Goongala?
How can someone write something as mediocre as Cataclysm or Survive and immediately turn around and write USM 200? I do not understand.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

Inkspot posted:

How can someone write something as mediocre as Cataclysm or Survive and immediately turn around and write USM 200? I do not understand.

Bendis can write the hell out of Ultimate Spider-Man.

Welp, that's his skillset in a nutshell.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Yeah, Bendis' whole thing is that he's really lacklustre doing big events, but can absolutely write the poo poo out of a couple people sitting in a room talking, nothing weird or surprising about it

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

I hope Bendis writes Ultimate Spider-Man until he dies. I don't ever want to see it written by someone else.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
I've always thought Bendis was really great at the build-ups to big earth-shaking events; he's just really terrible at the denouements. I think he writes USM's big events well because they're always far more personal than they are world-changing.

rkajdi
Sep 11, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Deadpool posted:

I hope Bendis writes Ultimate Spider-Man until he dies. I don't ever want to see it written by someone else.

I expect to see the book cancelled once he stops writing it. The only reason I think it still going now (love the book, but the sales are poo poo) is because of him.

Pimpmust
Oct 1, 2008

rkajdi posted:

I expect to see the book cancelled once he stops writing it. The only reason I think it still going now (love the book, but the sales are poo poo) is because of him.

Soon, soon Skyman will have his triumf over Ultimate Spider-Man :colbert:

This can't be right, can it? :stare:

rkajdi
Sep 11, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Pimpmust posted:

Soon, soon Skyman will have his triumf over Ultimate Spider-Man :colbert:

This can't be right, can it? :stare:

The last issue I could find numbers on was #28 (October 2013), which was 85th on the sales charts with 31K circulation-- that's in the same area as the fan-fav X-Factor which has a relaunch circling the drain. I thought both were decent books, but neither sells well anymore. The only reason to keep try to make the corpse walk is as a favor to someone. The only name creator involved anymore is Bendis, so he's the best guess.

FAKE EDIT: I guess the latest issue might be considered to be Cataclysm: Ultimate Spider-Man #2, which was #66 with 30K sales. The industry as a whole is doing horribly, and the Ultimate line doesn't seem to have much popularity anymore.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!

Opopanax posted:

Yeah, Bendis' whole thing is that he's really lacklustre doing big events, but can absolutely write the poo poo out of a couple people sitting in a room talking, nothing weird or surprising about it

In my ideal world, he'd only be allowed to write more intimate, smaller-scale books. Of course, his team books keep selling, so I can't really blame Marvel for that.

Pimpmust
Oct 1, 2008

rkajdi posted:

The last issue I could find numbers on was #28 (October 2013), which was 85th on the sales charts with 31K circulation-- that's in the same area as the fan-fav X-Factor which has a relaunch circling the drain. I thought both were decent books, but neither sells well anymore. The only reason to keep try to make the corpse walk is as a favor to someone. The only name creator involved anymore is Bendis, so he's the best guess.

FAKE EDIT: I guess the latest issue might be considered to be Cataclysm: Ultimate Spider-Man #2, which was #66 with 30K sales. The industry as a whole is doing horribly, and the Ultimate line doesn't seem to have much popularity anymore.

I was checking this site which had Marvel Universe Ultimate Spider-Man #22 at 4,761 copies sold (to north american comic shops).
http://comichron.com/monthlycomicssales/2014/2014-01.html

And the way Bendis sticks his pet characters into the Avengers and the like I think he actually wants to be writing those big events, he's just not very good at it.

rkajdi
Sep 11, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Pimpmust posted:

I was checking this site which had Marvel Universe Ultimate Spider-Man #22 at 4,761 copies sold (to north american comic shops).
http://comichron.com/monthlycomicssales/2014/2014-01.html

You're looking at the wrong book. The Ultimate Spider-man you're seeing is an all-ages tie-in for the cartoon. The book that's more relevant on this chart is Catacylsm USM #3. It sold 28K copies at 78th place. It's slightly above the level of Teen Titans and My Little Pony: Pedo is Magic. That tells me there's still a serious problem for USM.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

rkajdi posted:

You're looking at the wrong book. The Ultimate Spider-man you're seeing is an all-ages tie-in for the cartoon. The book that's more relevant on this chart is Catacylsm USM #3. It sold 28K copies at 78th place. It's slightly above the level of Teen Titans and My Little Pony: Pedo is Magic. That tells me there's still a serious problem for USM.

Its been like this for a long time. Hell they killed off a main character and pulled a new (not as bad) ultimatium and still haven't made it budge all that much. I wonder how long they keep this going.

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

It could get really good trade numbers or maybe they just have a different standard for the Ultimate books than they do a 616. Are the sales at least consistent or are they dropping a thousand or two each month?

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,
you shouldn't have signed it.

Ultimate Spider-Man exists in the same bubble as say Captain Marvel. Neither books sells but their importance to Marvel, especially with the decision to replace Peter with Miles outweighs the sales figures. Also while the writer is Bendis, the biggest current Marvel writer, the artists he has been getting on the book since Immonen has left have mostly been "new" artists that wouldn't command as big of a paycheck as the "A list" artists that get trotted out for big event books.

rkajdi
Sep 11, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

notthegoatseguy posted:

It could get really good trade numbers or maybe they just have a different standard for the Ultimate books than they do a 616. Are the sales at least consistent or are they dropping a thousand or two each month?

The latter. But honestly that's every book out right now. I can't think this says anything but bad things about the industry in the near term.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters

rkajdi posted:

The latter. But honestly that's every book out right now. I can't think this says anything but bad things about the industry in the near term.
That is the sales trend for practically every book since the time they started doing trackable sales data in the direct market. There are occasional exceptions to the rule (Walking Dead is a huge example) but practically any other book, even beloved/well remembered ones follow that trend. When there are exceptions (again, outside of Walking Dead) it's usually lucky to keep roughly the same audience, or in a few cases spike up mildly.

Here are three 60 issue self-contained well remembered Vertigo titles:

Transmetropolitan #1 - 18,151
Transmetropolitan #30 - 18,392
Transmetropolitan #60 - 18,297

Y the Last Man #1 - 15,287
Y the Last Man #30 - 25,693
Y the Last Man #60 - 28,412

Scalped #1 - 13,644
Scalped #30 - 7,054
Scalped #60 - 6,432

And those are three "success stories". The monthly sales don't pick up nearly as much as the reprints and probably these days the digital copies.

Beanpants
Oct 27, 2004

USM might be one of those books that does gangbusters in trade comparative to its single issue sales. It's always hard to tell, but the single issue sales rarely tell the whole story of a book's health anymore.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Considering how often they reboot, I doubt it.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

CharlestheHammer posted:

Considering how often they reboot, I doubt it.

Zero times?

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Opopanax posted:

Zero times?

four by my count.

Though that depends on what you consider a reboot, I guess.

CharlestheHammer fucked around with this message at 01:31 on Apr 7, 2014

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Well what do you consider a reboot? Especially one that would affect trades? Because the trade volumes count up normally until Miles takes over, so that'd be 1

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
How about relaunches? everyone good with that word? First relaunch being post-ultimatum and all

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Yeah, this will be the fourth USM #1. That's a reboot in my book.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

I get that, but Bean was talking specifically about the trades, which as far as I can tell were numbered consistently until Miles took over

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Opopanax posted:

I get that, but Bean was talking specifically about the trades, which as far as I can tell were numbered consistently until Miles took over

But you initially said zero times.

Opopanax posted:

Zero times?

See? So there was at least one.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Well yeah, but that was back when I was talking out of my rear end and hadn't actually looked it up.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?

Opopanax posted:

about that

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Opopanax posted:

Well yeah, but that was back when I was talking out of my rear end and hadn't actually looked it up.

And you were still wrong there as well.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Myrddin Emrys
Jul 3, 2003

Ho ho ho, Pac-man!

Rhyno posted:

Yeah, this will be the fourth USM #1. That's a reboot in my book.

Personally I don't consider a renumbering to be the same as a reboot. To me anyway, reboot means continuity was in some way affected by a retcon.

DFu4ever
Oct 4, 2002

Opopanax posted:

They're not. The trades through Ultimatum are all in sequence. The post Ultimatum trades start from one again (at least the first two do) and eventually end with Parker's death, although since I have the omnibus for that part, I'm not certain how the final couple are numbered.

EDIT: So beaten.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Myrddin Emrys posted:

Personally I don't consider a renumbering to be the same as a reboot. To me anyway, reboot means continuity was in some way affected by a retcon.

The first time the book was post Ultimatum and became Ultimate COMICS Spider-man and changed up the status quo in a pretty major way. The second time they loving killed Peter off. This time it's another massive change as well as re-naming the book.

Pimpmust
Oct 1, 2008

Yeah they wouldn't bother with renumbering if they didn't want that sweet sweet (imagined) #1 boost.

It's like they looked at the statistics of say, the first 1-100 run and noted that trend, drawing the obvious conclusion that the low-numbered issues sell more because they are low-numbered :downs:

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

The failure of the past two Ultimate relaunches makes it pretty clear that there's no real demand for an Ultimate line (as in multiple books) anymore and that Marvel is trying their "kill a bunch of characters, relaunch books, watch their numbers quickly drop to the cancellation range" formula for the third time primarily out of misplaced pride.

Barry Convex fucked around with this message at 06:10 on Apr 7, 2014

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Barry Convex posted:

The failure of the past two Ultimate relaunches makes it pretty clear that there's no real demand for an Ultimate line (as in multiple books) anymore and that Marvel is trying their "kill a bunch of characters, relaunch books, watch their numbers quickly drop to the cancellation range" formula primarily out of misplaced pride.

The UU only exists at this point because Bendis wants to keep writing USM.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Rhyno posted:

But why do there need to be two other Ultimate books?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Rhyno posted:

I don't see the problem.

• Locked thread