Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Mr. Maltose posted:

I don't think Galactus is being petty so much as after all the times Earth's heroes prevented him from eating it just waltzing in and chowing down would be a major anti-climax.

That's really petty for a cosmic entity beyond good and evil.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

The Galactus I care about the most got pissed after Hercules punched him in the dick, so I have no problem with him being petty here.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

That's not petty, that's nostalgic. He's like "Ah man, now that's the Earth I remember! It just wouldn't be the same without some shiny bug trying to sting me before I stick my paw in the honeycomb."

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

Boxman posted:

I've read the comic and seen the episode a couple times, but I just now noticed a change between the two - in the comic, the black mercy gives Bruce a fantasy of hugging his parents, simply safe. In JLU, the entire fantasy - which includes a cut away to a different scene, so I think it lasts a while n Bruce's head - is Thomas Wayne just beating on Joe Chill. Cartoon Batman's heart's desire isn't a happy life with his parents, it's seeing the guy who killed them getting the hell punched out of him :stare:

The end result is the same "He and his parents are safe and well", but the cartoon manages to give the whole thing one extra twist of the knife IIRC. Batman has the black mercy on him and it gives him the fantasy of seeing his dad kick Joe's rear end. Meanwhile, in the real world, Wonder Woman is doing her best to pry it off of him. This causes the fantasy to falter, and now suddenly, Chill is on the rebound, and shoots Thomas, just as before. So it's almost worse, he gets that glimmer of hope that everything is going to be fine, and then it's snatched away at the end.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

7c Nickel posted:

Strong Female Protagonist

Nice and simple.

I kinda like this, source?

Waffles Inc.
Jan 20, 2005

Speedball posted:

I kinda like this, source?

http://strongfemaleprotagonist.com/

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Galactus can be petty. He's been petty to the Silver Surfer a couple of times. Yeah, he's beyond good or evil, but he can still be an rear end in a top hat once in a while.

Brownhat
Jan 25, 2012

One cannot be a good person and enforce unjust laws.

Codependent Poster posted:

Galactus can be petty. He's been petty to the Silver Surfer a couple of times. Yeah, he's beyond good or evil, but he can still be an rear end in a top hat once in a while.

No herald of Franklin Richards should be acting like an rear end in a top hat on Earth. :colbert:

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Yeah, robbing a guy of his powers would be one thing, but leaving him all his powers but then telling him "But no, gently caress you, you can't leave this one planet" is a famously petty thing Galactus has laid on Norrin as a termination notice.

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
People forget that Galactus used to be just a regular guy before Eternity turned him into a fundamental force of the universe, sometimes it's gotta show through.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

To be fair, the silver surfer can be really lovely at his job.

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

To be fair, the silver surfer can be really lovely at his job.

What do you expect when you hire a surfer to be head of your Public Relations department?

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.
Norrin used to be a scientist. Galactus made the board. Maybe he found it funny.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.

Bloodly posted:

Norrin used to be a scientist. Galactus made the board. Maybe he found it funny.

What, scientists aren't allowed to surf? You don't know, man.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

I seem to recall an issue of Defenders where the Silver Surfer meets a bunch of normal surfer-dudes and surfer-gals on the beaches of Earth and just hangs out with them for a while. Since he's a humorless depressed alien he doesn't have as much in common with them as he thought.

Four Score
Feb 27, 2014

by zen death robot
Lipstick Apathy
Some context for Thor vs. Galactus? Who won, anyways?

I'm pretty sure this was a Marvel What if...?, and Thor just snapping the neck of the dude who's like a billion exploding suns in human form, and allegedly fought Galactus to a standstill, is pretty loving :black101: That said, I have no idea what is going on with Thor's helmet in one of those panels, and they look like blonde hypermasculine twins.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
^context: it's the far loving future, earth is nothing but sand and stuff, Thor's the All-Father and continues to care for the planet while his granddaughters tell him to just let it go. Galactus just showed up to finally eat the earth and the battle will continue in following issues. At the same time, in the present, Thor's fighting global warming and Roxxon and that'll probably tie to the future fight.

Avulsion
Feb 12, 2006
I never knew what hit me

First Bass posted:

Some context for Thor vs. Galactus? Who won, anyways?

It's thousands of years in the future, Thor is older, wiser, has a metal arm and is king of Asgard. He's visiting the (long dead) Earth when Galactus shows up to eat it and be a dick. They fight. Winner to be determined in a future issue. Read God of Thunder.

smashpro1
Mar 1, 2009

Shirley, these things happen in video games. We can't get hung up on real-world morality.

Avulsion posted:

It's thousands of years in the future, Thor is older, wiser, has a metal arm and is king of Asgard. He's visiting the (long dead) Earth when Galactus shows up to eat it and be a dick. They fight. Winner to be determined in a future issue. Read God of Thunder.

God of Van Art. :eng101:

Pacra
Aug 5, 2004

DarkCrawler posted:

People forget that Galactus used to be just a regular guy before Eternity turned him into a fundamental force of the universe, sometimes it's gotta show through.

I guess he gets a pass for it, although it's strangely worded - his usual characterization even so far into the future would still just be emoting annoyance, like swatting a gnat away:

(FF #... 49?)

This is just an excuse to post my favorite badass Galactus images aside from Stokoe's reimagining, which I already posted in the good/bad art thread.

This was always my favorite thing Byrne did with Galactus, where every alien race views him differently/terrifyingly -

(Somewhere early in the trial of galactus, #242 to #262)

But my favorite badass Galactus moment is the alternate-dimension Galactus from Exiles #87-88:

rip exiles :ohdear:

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer
I love that in the Marvel multiverse, there are countless and ever-varied iterations of Galactus, a living force of nature set on correcting the imbalances between Eternity and Death, yet only one Mojo.

Avulsion
Feb 12, 2006
I never knew what hit me

redbackground posted:

I love that in the Marvel multiverse, there are countless and ever-varied iterations of Galactus, a living force of nature set on correcting the imbalances between Eternity and Death, yet only one Mojo.

Mojo was smart enough to copyright his likeness and takes aggressive legal action to prevent dilution of the brand.

Avulsion fucked around with this message at 07:33 on Apr 7, 2014

VagueRant
May 24, 2012
Between that, Man of Steel and that one Wonder Woman page I saw floating around a good while ago...Comic books REALLY like the neck snap as the dramatic way to kill someone. I guess it's just bloodless and so easier for them to get by on it.

But it's weird how it always insta-kills and never leaves anyone paralysed but still alive. Just sayin'.

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
Galactus!

(Beta Ray Bill: Saga of the Stormbreaker #1)

(Infinity Gauntlet)

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

To continue the Galactus posting, one of my favorite Silver Surfer moments F4#583

Happy Noodle Boy fucked around with this message at 14:15 on Apr 7, 2014

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

VagueRant posted:

Between that, Man of Steel and that one Wonder Woman page I saw floating around a good while ago...Comic books REALLY like the neck snap as the dramatic way to kill someone. I guess it's just bloodless and so easier for them to get by on it.

But it's weird how it always insta-kills and never leaves anyone paralysed but still alive. Just sayin'.

It can.

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

To continue the Galactus posting, one of my favorite Silver Surfer moments F4#583

I've always liked that despite the fact that Silver Surfer has had a lot of problems with Galactus, the dude is still pretty much his god and that is like insane blasphemy for him.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Galactus showed up for Norrin Radd's funeral(but he got better or something), so he's not a total dick.

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Speaking of this, how many times has Galactus been used as the battery cosmic? FF did it, Annihilation: conquest did it...

ManiacClown
May 30, 2002

Gone, gone, O honky man,
And rise the M.C. Etrigan!

coconono posted:

Galactus showed up for Norrin Radd's funeral(but he got better or something), so he's not a total dick.

If you're talking about Silver Surfer: Requiem, that wasn't supposed to be in continuity.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Have a Molly.
Runaways V2 #1.

RandallODim
Dec 30, 2010

Another 1? Aww man...

Say Nothing posted:

Have a Molly.
Runaways V2 #1.

Bunny Hat is also disappointed.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

redbackground posted:

Now that I think of it, I don't recall ever seeing Mojo show up in a single What If issue.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Gavok posted:

Now that I think of it, I don't recall ever seeing Mojo show up in a single What If issue.

The Watcher is a snob and would never admit to Watching anything as crass as Mojo TV

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Say Nothing posted:

Have a Molly.
Runaways V2 #1.

Love Molly. Is she anywhere in any of the current runs?

Zamboni Apocalypse
Dec 29, 2009

zoux posted:

Love Molly. Is she anywhere in any of the current runs?

A future version shows up in the recent Battle of the WTF Atom where the future and the past collide in the present and the plot goes wandering off into traffic...

404GoonNotFound
Aug 6, 2006

The McRib is back!?!?

Technically it's Molly, but she looks vaguely like an RPG character and turns out to be evil, so sadly it won't exactly be the Bruiser fix you're looking for.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Apparently Molly's future involves a lot of cattle steroids and giant breast implants.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
That's terrible/derivative/boring design. She looks like Katie Fairchild from Gen13, also.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
She also is about 7-foot tall, so definitely like Fairchild, minus the constant wardrobe malfunctions.