Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Futurism was an art movement where dudes were all 'CARS ARE COOL AND THE PAST IS FOR CHUMPS. LET'S DRAW SOME CARS.'
I'm trying to hack in custom URL schemes to my Unity app, I'm having a couple of issues, and I really have no idea what to do about it.

1) I've setup and registered the scheme, and it works: every other time. This is for launching the app via web page, so I enter the url "myscheme://?params". A dialog opens up asking me if I want to open the app; I tap yes and nothing happens. I enter the url again, and it jumps right to the app.

2) If the app has to be launched, the didFinishLaunchingWithOptions delegate is called and I can get the url from there, and I return YES from it. But the openURL delegate is never called (it's in the same class), whether the app is starting fresh or if it's in the background.

FYI, Unity generates a UnityAppController class that implements UIApplicationDelegate, which is where I'm putting all this in (for now). I'm still very new to iOS development so I don't really know what I'm doing, but as far as I can tell I'm not missing anything. Any ideas I can try?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HiriseSoftware
Dec 3, 2004

Two tips for the wise:
1. Buy an AK-97 assault rifle.
2. If there's someone hanging around your neighborhood you don't know, shoot him.

kitten smoothie posted:

I have no idea, for instance, if you'd be able to debug on a device through whatever USB bridging done by a VM.

You can in fact debug on a device connected by USB through VMWare. But yes, it will be lovely.

Newf
Feb 14, 2006
I appreciate hacky sack on a much deeper level than you.

kitten smoothie posted:

In practice it will run so lovely that you'll try it and immediately go to the Apple Store and buy a cheap Mac mini out of anger and frustration.

Is the mac mini powerful enough that it won't be frustrating to work with? That price point is a lot more palatable than a macbook pro. I'm asking because I'm looking at bidding a contract to produce an app on Android and iOS. It's a small job though, so having to buy a dev machine would severely eat into the profit margin.

edit: also I would then own a mac ewwwwwww

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Newf posted:

Is the mac mini powerful enough that it won't be frustrating to work with? That price point is a lot more palatable than a macbook pro. I'm asking because I'm looking at bidding a contract to produce an app on Android and iOS. It's a small job though, so having to buy a dev machine would severely eat into the profit margin.

It'll be fine if you plug in a big monitor. Plus it'll give you the ability to take on more iOS work in the future and it's a huge field that's still growing fast.

quote:

You get used to the cooties after a while.

Doctor w-rw-rw-
Jun 24, 2008

Newf posted:

Get a Mac mini for dev and you likely won't have to buy a new dev machine for iOS for years. You'll learn to like the cooties. Lean on us to suggest stuff to get you up to speed on using macs if you go this way.

kitten smoothie posted:

In theory you can run OS X in Virtualbox using some stuff that is shadier than the average Hackintosh setup so I'd call it :filez: and not discuss it in detail here.
Less shady than you might think. Running OS X in a VM is totally sanctioned by Apple, and is legal, with the caveat that OS X is only licensed to run on Apple hardware. So VM software generally supports OS X as a guest OS, and OS X supports being a guest.

kitten smoothie posted:

In practice it will run so lovely that you'll try it and immediately go to the Apple Store and buy a cheap Mac mini out of anger and frustration.

I have no idea, for instance, if you'd be able to debug on a device through whatever USB bridging done by a VM.
My first real OS X experience was on 10.3 in the PearPC emulator, and it's how I got acquainted with it, and I used it to convince my parents to buy a Mac after having been a windows guy all my life. It won't be impossible to develop on it, just a lot less comfortable than it could be.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.

dupersaurus posted:

I'm trying to hack in custom URL schemes to my Unity app, I'm having a couple of issues, and I really have no idea what to do about it.

1) I've setup and registered the scheme, and it works: every other time. This is for launching the app via web page, so I enter the url "myscheme://?params". A dialog opens up asking me if I want to open the app; I tap yes and nothing happens. I enter the url again, and it jumps right to the app.

It should be more reliable than that (i.e. 100%), so something's not right there. Is this on device, in the simulator, or both? What happens if you type out the URL into Safari's address bar, as opposed to whatever mechanism you're using on the web page (what mechanism are you using on the web page)?

quote:

2) If the app has to be launched, the didFinishLaunchingWithOptions delegate is called and I can get the url from there, and I return YES from it. But the openURL delegate is never called (it's in the same class), whether the app is starting fresh or if it's in the background.

Here's the relevant documentation. Does what you're seeing line up with what that documentation describes? Where does it seem to fall down?

quote:

FYI, Unity generates a UnityAppController class that implements UIApplicationDelegate, which is where I'm putting all this in (for now).

That should be fine. It might help to put that class up on pastebin so we can see if there are any obvious errors.

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Futurism was an art movement where dudes were all 'CARS ARE COOL AND THE PAST IS FOR CHUMPS. LET'S DRAW SOME CARS.'

pokeyman posted:

It should be more reliable than that (i.e. 100%), so something's not right there. Is this on device, in the simulator, or both? What happens if you type out the URL into Safari's address bar, as opposed to whatever mechanism you're using on the web page (what mechanism are you using on the web page)?

Device. And it's the same whether I type it in or I go to a web page that re-directs to the link to open.

pokeyman posted:

Here's the relevant documentation. Does what you're seeing line up with what that documentation describes? Where does it seem to fall down?

That's what I've been using. The failure is that the openURL delegate is supposed to be called (as far as I can tell) when the app is called by a url scheme (start or resume), but I'm never seeing it called.

pokeyman posted:

That should be fine. It might help to put that class up on pastebin so we can see if there are any obvious errors.

http://pastebin.com/B4gNKHMt

The action's in didFinishLaunchingWithOptions (which does work as expected) and openURL. The UIAlertView stuff is stuff I put in for debugging.

Kallikrates
Jul 7, 2002
Pro Lurker

Newf posted:

quote:

"As a lifelong Windows user, my reaction after a week with the Macbook Pro is a) crying over lost time + b) hating how right Apple fans were."
https://twitter.com/patio11/status/446059255154888704 aka http://www.kalzumeus.com/

One of us, one of us

Doh004
Apr 22, 2007

Mmmmm Donuts...
Mac laptops are great, own all the MBP and MBAirs.

Desktop wise, I still love my windows machine.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

dupersaurus posted:

Device. And it's the same whether I type it in or I go to a web page that re-directs to the link to open.

That's what I've been using. The failure is that the openURL delegate is supposed to be called (as far as I can tell) when the app is called by a url scheme (start or resume), but I'm never seeing it called.

http://pastebin.com/B4gNKHMt

The action's in didFinishLaunchingWithOptions (which does work as expected) and openURL. The UIAlertView stuff is stuff I put in for debugging.

That all looks good to me, don't see anything obviously wrong. All I can really suggest at this point is start a new Xcode project and see if it works there, then compare the two and see what's different.

nobody-
Jun 4, 2000
Forum Veteran
Has anyone here bought a provisioning profile from one of those sites that sells them for $5 or so? I'm just starting to learn iOS development and really don't want to pay Apple $100 just to debug a Hello World app on my iPad. Is there any compelling reason NOT to get one of these?

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
I've never heard of that service and it sounds really sketchy. You can debug for free in the simulator, which is a runtime environment and API identical to a hardware iOS device (with a few rare exceptions and very different performance characteristics).

benisntfunny
Dec 2, 2004
I'm Perfect.
I have heard of the $5 things though never done so myself. But what the other guy said... No point in doing it. Just download Xcode and run simulator for free.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

There must be a way to run code on a jailbroken iPad. Don't know how though.

Doctor w-rw-rw-
Jun 24, 2008

nobody- posted:

Has anyone here bought a provisioning profile from one of those sites that sells them for $5 or so? I'm just starting to learn iOS development and really don't want to pay Apple $100 just to debug a Hello World app on my iPad. Is there any compelling reason NOT to get one of these?
Sounds sketchy as hell. I wouldn't do it.

This looks slightly outdated, but relevant:
http://mhassan.me/2013/02/15/using-xcode-without-provisioning-profile/

Maybe it'd be possible to update the process for Xcode 5. I'd trust jailbreaking and generating your own cert over buying a provisioning profile.

Simulated
Sep 28, 2001
Lowtax giveth, and Lowtax taketh away.
College Slice
Oh man, UIDatePicker how I hate thee.

When added through IB, it shows up with a black stripe in the middle. I tried deleting it and re-adding it, mucking with all kinds of settings. No change. Why a white background at all? Because you can't change the text color and it doesn't work with UIAppearance at all. Thinking of re-implementing it yourself with UIPicker? Hah! UIPicker has no facility to put fixed labels in so for a countdown timer your "hours" and "min" labels scroll instead of the numbers depending on where you drag.

Reveal is a great app for inspecting the UIView hierarchy, but don't ever poke UIDatePicker. How many views, subviews, and UITableViews can you pack into such a tiny space anyway? But I was able to confirm that certain subviews were making their background black regardless of what else was going on.

Then on a hunch I moved to creating the picker in code. The behavior disappeared.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Simulated
Sep 28, 2001
College Slice
Let's complain about LLDB again:

code:
@property (nonatomic) CGRect bounds; 
@property (assign, nonatomic) int funky;
@property (assign, nonatomic) struct butts farts;
Given these definitions where bounds comes from UIView and funky/farts from my code. Let's see what happens:

code:
 (lldb) po self.view.bounds
error: unsupported expression with unknown type
error: 3 errors parsing expression

(lldb) po (CGRect)self.view.bounds
error: C-style cast from '<unknown type>' to 'CGRect' is not allowed

(lldb) po [self.view bounds]
<CALayer:0x17042a760; position = CGPoint (160 284); bounds = CGRect (0 0; 320 568); 
delegate = <UIView: 0x17016dc80; frame = (0 0; 320 568); 
autoresize = W+H; gestureRecognizers = <NSArray: 0x170253410>; 
layer = <CALayer: 0x17042a760>>; sublayers = (<CALayer: 0x17042a720>, <CALayer: 0x1704308e0>); 
opaque = YES; allowsGroupOpacity = YES; >
WTFBBQ on that last one? Must be reading some random address. Let's try print:

code:
(lldb) print [self.view bounds]
error: 'bounds' has unknown return type; cast the call to its declared return type
error: 1 errors parsing expression

(lldb) print (CGRect)[self.view.bounds]
error: expected identifier

(lldb) print (CGRect)[self.view bounds]
(CGRect) $1 = origin=(x=0, y=0) size=(width=320, height=568)
Geez, finally we can coax LLDB to print the value of a loving CGRect. Hurray! It might be declared as a property but LLDB is totally into messages right now so you'd better dance to the objc_msgSend beat, got it?

But what drives you really crazy? The inconsistency:

code:
(lldb) po self.funky

(lldb) print self.funky
(int) 42
LLDB: Look, I know you said "print object" but I know what you meant, I'll figure it out.

code:
(lldb) po self.farts
 {
   (x = 5, y = 10)
   (x = 42, y = 13)
}

(lldb) print self.farts
(butts) $5 = {
  s = (x = 5, y = 10)
  p = (x = 42, y = 13)
}
LLDB: Fine, fine... since you keep pestering me I'll look *this* one up. po/print? don't bother casting? who cares! I'll figure it out. But don't you dare ask me about bounds again rear end in a top hat!

Dessert Rose
May 17, 2004

awoken in control of a lucid deep dream...

Ender.uNF posted:

Let's complain about LLDB again:

code:
 (lldb) po self.view.bounds

(lldb) po (CGRect)self.view.bounds
error: C-style cast from '<unknown type>' to 'CGRect' is not allowed
You're reaching two levels deep, I'm not too surprised that this doesn't work.

quote:

code:
(lldb) po [self.view bounds]
<CALayer:0x17042a760; position = CGPoint (160 284); bounds = CGRect (0 0; 320 568); 
delegate = <UIView: 0x17016dc80; frame = (0 0; 320 568); 
autoresize = W+H; gestureRecognizers = <NSArray: 0x170253410>; 
layer = <CALayer: 0x17042a760>>; sublayers = (<CALayer: 0x17042a720>, <CALayer: 0x1704308e0>); 
opaque = YES; allowsGroupOpacity = YES; >
WTFBBQ on that last one? Must be reading some random address. Let's try print:

It's clearly printing self.view. Note "bounds = CGRect (0 0; 320 568);" which is the proper value of bounds that you discover later.

quote:

code:
(lldb) print [self.view bounds]
error: 'bounds' has unknown return type; cast the call to its declared return type

(lldb) print (CGRect)[self.view.bounds]
error: expected identifier

(lldb) print (CGRect)[self.view bounds]
(CGRect) $1 = origin=(x=0, y=0) size=(width=320, height=568)
Geez, finally we can coax LLDB to print the value of a loving CGRect. Hurray! It might be declared as a property but LLDB is totally into messages right now so you'd better dance to the objc_msgSend beat, got it?
What does it output for "print (CGRect)self.view.bounds"? You didn't even show "print self.view.bounds".

I wouldn't expect that to work, either, because "po" didn't, but we're already in super-inconsistent land...

quote:

But what drives you really crazy? The inconsistency:
[...]

I think I'd rather the debugger work as best it can when it can. Of course I'd like it to be better, but I'll take inconsistency from my debugger over inconsistency in the actual language.

Xcode's interface over top of it is getting better, though. Those new visualizers for views and colors are sex. I'd really prefer that they put a UI over it so that I never have to drop to the CLI; I know three different ways to get the value of an object from the CLI, and as you point out, they're all slightly different.

It'd be neat if I could have a text box that I just start typing an expression in and I get a visualizer window underneath that shows me the value of that expression. Bonus points if I can have a bunch of floating windows (or docked to the UI, whatever) that watch these values. I imagine just executing a bunch of expressions willy-nilly could be dangerous, though.

lord funk
Feb 16, 2004

I have a new crash when setting UILabel text:

code:
    NSString *displayMessage = [NSString stringWithFormat:@"CH %i Note Off %i \u2191 %i",channel + 1,note,offVelocity];
    UILabel *highTechLabel = (UILabel *)self.highTechLabels[_highTechLabelCounter];
    [highTechLabel setText:text];
Here is the crash:

code:
Exception Type:  EXC_BREAKPOINT (SIGTRAP)
Exception Codes: 0x0000000000000001, 0x000000000000defe
Triggered by Thread:  9

Thread 0:
0   libsystem_malloc.dylib        	0x3992abb2 free + 10
1   CoreText                      	0x2ef415aa TRun::~TRun() + 22
2   CoreFoundation                	0x2e7a4164 CFRelease + 464
3   CoreText                      	0x2ef40a84 TLine::~TLine() + 132
4   CoreFoundation                	0x2e7a4164 CFRelease + 464
5   UIKit                         	0x313a12ee -[UILabel _invalidateSynthesizedAttributedTextAndLayout] + 66
6   UIKit                         	0x310b14e8 -[UILabel _setText:] + 448
7   TC-Data                       	0x0004bfe4 -[ConnectionController setNextHighTechLabelText:] (ConnectionController.m:4124)
My instinct is that it has something to do with retrieving the label in my array, but it happens so infrequently that catching it has become really tough.

chimz
Jul 27, 2005

Science isn't about why, it's about why not.

lord funk posted:

Triggered by Thread: 9

You posted thread 0, not thread 9 - are you sure that's where the actual problem is?

lord funk
Feb 16, 2004

chimz posted:

You posted thread 0, not thread 9 - are you sure that's where the actual problem is?

:doh: okay that helps immensely. Completely different issue.

Simulated
Sep 28, 2001
College Slice

Dessert Rose posted:

You're reaching two levels deep, I'm not too surprised that this doesn't work.

Why should that matter? In fact it doesn't even matter if the declared type of self.view is id; Objective-C supports runtime introspection, so the debugger should introspect the object. You can also get the method implementation which will indicate that bounds returns a CGRect struct.

quote:

It's clearly printing self.view. Note "bounds = CGRect (0 0; 320 568);" which is the proper value of bounds that you discover later.

So why does it respond with the view as a result of sending the "bounds" selector to the view? That makes no sense.

quote:

What does it output for "print (CGRect)self.view.bounds"? You didn't even show "print self.view.bounds".

Sorry, I was replicating it for this post. It doesn't work to access bounds via dot syntax no matter what.

quote:

I wouldn't expect that to work, either, because "po" didn't, but we're already in super-inconsistent land...

I think I'd rather the debugger work as best it can when it can. Of course I'd like it to be better, but I'll take inconsistency from my debugger over inconsistency in the actual language.

Know how many times Visual Studio has failed to immediately show me *all* values of an entire object graph in the past 10 years? Zero. I have *never* had to fiddle with the debugger to get it to spit out values. Even for object, it inspects it and understands the real runtime type, shows me the inheritance chain, the properties on that object, and the properties inherited from the superclass (recursively).

LLDB has gotten better; I'm not attacking whoever works on it... it just needs more work. If there is something about Objective-C or LLVM that prevents it from working, then fix it and make it work. It is not an acceptable answer to make me figure out if it wants dot or message syntax and whether the return value should be cast or not (and to what type).

Doh004
Apr 22, 2007

Mmmmm Donuts...
We find out about WWDC today :ohdear:

Dessert Rose
May 17, 2004

awoken in control of a lucid deep dream...

Ender.uNF posted:

Know how many times Visual Studio has failed to immediately show me *all* values of an entire object graph in the past 10 years? Zero. I have *never* had to fiddle with the debugger to get it to spit out values. Even for object, it inspects it and understands the real runtime type, shows me the inheritance chain, the properties on that object, and the properties inherited from the superclass (recursively).

Let me guess, you never write native code.

This is true of managed code, but I often have to fight VS's debugger in order to get it to work properly for C++. Compared to that, LLDB is... Well, not exactly a dream - as you say, it needs work - but it's pretty good.

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

To Escape The Shackles Of The Old Forums, We Must Reject The Tribal Negativity He Endorsed
It's true of native code with optimizations disabled, and with /d2Zi+ VC++ is significantly better than LLDB on optimized code (I have no idea why it's not on by default).

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Plorkyeran posted:

It's true of native code with optimizations disabled, and with /d2Zi+ VC++ is significantly better than LLDB on optimized code (I have no idea why it's not on by default).

It's true of native, O0 code that doesn't call between too many DLLs (especially if some are missing symbols) or do a lot of dynamic code loading. Or get into a weird thread state, sometimes. Even so, being able to use a symbol server forgives a lot of sins, and I agree that lldb has a ways to go to catch up. (Does lldb do better with a different debug format?)

What do people use for figuring out layouts, sans Storyboards? I'm trying to figure out something a little odd(*), and I haven't found a document that really describes the non-auto layout primitives in a way that's soaking in. (This is my first iOS interface rodeo.

(*) I'm adding a button to the Awful keyboard, and I want it to float right without disturbing the viewport-centered positioning of the main set of buttons. In webstuff it would be position: absolute; right: 0.

.....A B C D E....X

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

Subjunctive posted:

What do people use for figuring out layouts, sans Storyboards? I'm trying to figure out something a little odd(*), and I haven't found a document that really describes the non-auto layout primitives in a way that's soaking in. (This is my first iOS interface rodeo.

(*) I'm adding a button to the Awful keyboard, and I want it to float right without disturbing the viewport-centered positioning of the main set of buttons. In webstuff it would be position: absolute; right: 0.

.....A B C D E....X

I'll link you the documentation, as it's what I used and made sense to me after a couple reads. There's no shortage of other material online and in books, so maybe someone else can add some recommendations.

The primary source is View Programming Guide for iOS. You'll want to make sure you understand the sections called View Geometry and Coordinate Systems and Adjusting the Size and Position of Views at Runtime, but it's worth going through most of the guide just to see what you can do.

On the more practical side, useful functions are documented in the CGGeometry Reference. While functions like CGRectDivide are certainly useful, it's also worth using the more primitive functions like CGRectGetMinX(r) instead of just reaching in to the struct as in r.origin.x. You can get unstandardized rectangles like {x=0, y=0, w=-100, h=20} and your code needs to work either way.

You can mix Auto Layout, autoresizing masks, and just-set-the-frames throughout an application, and even within the same view hierarchy. So if you have a view where Auto Layout makes sense (the keyboard bar you mention could be a good candidate, because you don't want E and X to overlap, and that could be easiest to express with constraints at different priorities) in an otherwise manually-laid-out screen, that's not a problem. Here's a blog post about just that.

Finally, Auto Layout is really cool, and the word from on high is to prefer Auto Layout over all other techniques, so it's worth learning at some point. (Though it's entirely doable to create responsive layouts by setting frames directly, it's hard not to in Auto Layout.)

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Thanks, super helpful. When RL gets a little more under control (or I decide to hide from it in Xcode) I'll dive into that.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

Doh004 posted:

We find out about WWDC today :ohdear:

The mails are going out now, according to people on Twitter. Now watching my inbox like a hawk.

Doctor w-rw-rw-
Jun 24, 2008
All three of my coworkers have been accepted (one of them twice!). Still haven't got my email. :ohdear:

e: :smith:

Doctor w-rw-rw- fucked around with this message at 02:06 on Apr 8, 2014

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe
At least we know Marco Arment got in. Crisis averted! ;)

Kallikrates
Jul 7, 2002
Pro Lurker
I got a spot but I still kinda hope to find out if I get a google i/o ticket.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

And denied. I was really hoping to go to WWDC at least once. I've been to I/O three times (did not get in last year) and while the talks were good, it seems there's more "community" around WWDC attendees given 30 years worth of Mac culture.

Doh004
Apr 22, 2007

Mmmmm Donuts...
Damnit all :saddowns:

Simulated
Sep 28, 2001
College Slice
Denied again. Of course we all know it wasn't really a random lottery; certain favored people are handed tickets. I hope the cool kids enjoy their exclusive party.

lord funk
Feb 16, 2004

Doh004 posted:

Damnit all :saddowns:

Axiem
Oct 19, 2005

I want to leave my mind blank, but I'm terrified of what will happen if I do
Looks like I got in, on an Apple ID that's existed for all of a month. :shrug: Now I just need to find out if I can really go, presuming my work approves the time and money.

ultramiraculous
Nov 12, 2003

"No..."
Grimey Drawer
I got it and none of my coworkers did. Maybe submitting all the radars they didn't feel like dealing with is working in my favor?

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe

Ender.uNF posted:

Denied again. Of course we all know it wasn't really a random lottery; certain favored people are handed tickets. I hope the cool kids enjoy their exclusive party.

The guy who makes Tweetbot didn't get in, so either he's not on the "favored" list (which seems unlikely), or it really is random.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doh004
Apr 22, 2007

Mmmmm Donuts...

Kallikrates posted:

I got a spot but I still kinda hope to find out if I get a google i/o ticket.

Axiem posted:

Looks like I got in, on an Apple ID that's existed for all of a month. :shrug: Now I just need to find out if I can really go, presuming my work approves the time and money.

ultramiraculous posted:

I got it and none of my coworkers did. Maybe submitting all the radars they didn't feel like dealing with is working in my favor?

Death to you all.

(Congrats :argh:)