Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Edison was a dick
Apr 3, 2010

direct current :roboluv: only
Formed the Empire of India using the beta patch, it's just a shame it counted as modified so I didn't get the achievements.

I was a little disappointed that the de-jure assignment was only making your primary title's de-jure land India's, rather than all the other Indian Empires too.

It does seem a little bugged too. From the script files it looks like it should destroy the individual Empire titles:

code:
if = {
    limit = { has_landed_title = e_rajastan }
    activate_title = { title = e_rajastan status = no }
}
I ended up holding 4 Empire titles afterwards.

Also, unless I'm misunderstanding what active means, I shouldn't have needed to create all the Empires, since the other empires were not created at the time.

I also think there's something a little bugged with revoking Kingdoms, since there are Kingdoms I can't revoke because THOSE kingdoms have too low crown authority to allow revokation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cantorsdust
Aug 10, 2008

Infinitely many points, but zero length.

nazutul posted:

One more question: does that beta-patch update automatically for Steam users? Is it the 2.1.1 patch?

You have to opt in. Check under Steam > CK2 > Properties > Betas and opt in.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.
Oh how's the ironman save times with the beta patch?

Edison was a dick
Apr 3, 2010

direct current :roboluv: only

Koramei posted:

Still noticeable. It felt faster just after updating, but that's no proof.

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo
So about that Tengri invasion CB.

I'm basically just waiting for my emperor to die so I can move the capitol to Constantinople. He's 65 now and has been possessed since he took the throne, though perhaps that is what led him to do all that he did. Tengri is spreading very nicely, conversions are actually happening pretty quickly and I've even thrown back a crusade for Greece.

I suppose the next thing will be to start tangling with the Muslims.

It does make it all the more puzzling that it isn't really uncommon to see the AI Magyars lose their initial war against Bulgaria.

Cantorsdust
Aug 10, 2008

Infinitely many points, but zero length.

MrBling posted:

So about that Tengri invasion CB.

I'm basically just waiting for my emperor to die so I can move the capitol to Constantinople. He's 65 now and has been possessed since he took the throne, though perhaps that is what led him to do all that he did. Tengri is spreading very nicely, conversions are actually happening pretty quickly and I've even thrown back a crusade for Greece.

I suppose the next thing will be to start tangling with the Muslims.

It does make it all the more puzzling that it isn't really uncommon to see the AI Magyars lose their initial war against Bulgaria.

There's that ugly mess of Karling inheritances in Western Europe again. I love the Old Gods start, but man do I hate dealing with the Karling blob.

Frionnel
May 7, 2010

Friends are what make testing worth it.
What's going on with my titles? I recently had a greek orthodox Wali-Emir of Armeniacon.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Neorxenawang posted:

Is grey eminence preferable for wives? I usually look for high stewardship ladies so I get the demesne bonus...am I CK2ing wrong?

I'm a Stewardship man myself. Probably even more important now with the massive penalties to troops and income from having too many holdings in your personal demesne.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Oh god I just got the joke about the white elephant.

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx

Mantis42 posted:

Oh god I just got the joke about the white elephant.

I don't have ROJ; is it a Moby Dick joke?

Thrasophius
Oct 27, 2013

Koramei posted:

Still very much noticeable, in fact I'm tempted to say they are still the same as before because I noticed no difference. Still I don't want to abandon this game as it's the only one as Karen that I've managed to get where the Saffarids don't just immediately stomp you. I think I'm about 10 or so provinces from owning the de jure Persian empire, I'm just sitting back now and saving my cash before the seljuks arrive and hoping to god the Musaid don't want a war before then because they own all of Arabia, North Africa and Spain so they currently have double my troop count.

Chickpea Roar
Jan 11, 2006

Merdre!

Edison was a dick posted:

Formed the Empire of India using the beta patch, it's just a shame it counted as modified so I didn't get the achievements.

The beta patch should be compatible with achievements. I got the one for holding the empires of Persia and Rajastan using the beta patch, although I did start that game before the patch.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Riso posted:

Basically a friendly character gives you a white elephant as a gift. It then becomes a giant pain in the rear end where the options are either to keep throwing money at the problem, or give it away and make a rival out of your friend. Its a joke about the cultural concept of 'white elephant gifts', which are really tacky/bad.

hellsjudge
May 13, 2010

Riso posted:

A white elephant is what you call something that should be good but ends up being a money sink, ie the shuttle program was considered a white elephant for NASA.

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

Cantorsdust posted:

There's that ugly mess of Karling inheritances in Western Europe again. I love the Old Gods start, but man do I hate dealing with the Karling blob.

I've thought about it, and I'm pretty sure that the only features that could kill of Karlingblob would also make the game bullshit to play, since eventually you want your dynasty to also be nice and big.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets

hellsjudge posted:

A white elephant is what you call something that should be good but ends up being a money sink, ie the shuttle program was considered a white elephant for NASA.

The event chain is probably based on the literal white elephants that spawned that saying; in Southeast Asia (maybe Thailand?- you know maybe South Asia too) white elephants were sacred and held by the royal family, and they'd give them out as gifts- but it was illegal to put the sacred elephants to work, so you had on your hands an animal that is incredibly expensive to keep, but couldn't actually do anything with them.

Thrasophius posted:

Still very much noticeable, in fact I'm tempted to say they are still the same as before because I noticed no difference. Still I don't want to abandon this game as it's the only one as Karen that I've managed to get where the Saffarids don't just immediately stomp you. I think I'm about 10 or so provinces from owning the de jure Persian empire, I'm just sitting back now and saving my cash before the seljuks arrive and hoping to god the Musaid don't want a war before then because they own all of Arabia, North Africa and Spain so they currently have double my troop count.

Bah I should have gone for achievements before RoI then. It's dumb but I feel real weird having like 150 hours in this game with 0% of the achievements done.

Noctis Horrendae
Nov 1, 2013
I just married my 55 year old half-sister to my 16 year old son for 43 prestige. This game is great.

Noctis Horrendae fucked around with this message at 23:20 on Apr 6, 2014

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT
I just switched over to the beta patch, and it looks like something is screwed up with tengri invasion CBs. Maybe before the beta as well - I picked the King of the Magyars, beat Bulgaria, and found that declaring victory only gave me the provinces that I specifically sieged. My opponent kept everything else. I assume that's not how it's supposed to work, right?

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

Strudel Man posted:

I just switched over to the beta patch, and it looks like something is screwed up with tengri invasion CBs. Maybe before the beta as well - I picked the King of the Magyars, beat Bulgaria, and found that declaring victory only gave me the provinces that I specifically sieged. My opponent kept everything else. I assume that's not how it's supposed to work, right?

I think some CBs do that, in that you get to keep the provinces you have sieged within the Duchy/Kingdom/Empire that you were attacking. I don't know if the Tengri thing works like that, but I'm pretty certain that the 867 start war (The sons of Lodbrok? something like that) has that condition.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

Man, there are a lot of total conversion mods for this game. Just looking at the mod forum, you got

Game of Thrones
Elder Scrolls
Middle Earth
Dragon Age
Some sci-fi thing
Warhammer Fantasy
The Witcher
World of Darkness
Touhou

...and stuff like Sengoku or the Warring States :psyduck:

Where is it all coming from?

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
People that really like the CK2 system and want different settings.

Meinberg
Oct 9, 2011

inspired by but legally distinct from CATS (2019)
It makes a lot of sense, to me. CK2 is pretty much the only game I know of that has a grand strategy scale, while still allowing room for individuals to emerge and have an impact on gameplay. It's really a very unique game, and until someone else makes a game of the same genre, with the same degree of skill, you're going to see people repurposing the engine for their own usage.

Allyn
Sep 4, 2007

I love Charlie from Busted!

Strudel Man posted:

That is exactly how it's supposed to work, although you should also vassalize any counties you didn't occupy who were within the war target (in this case any within the de jure kingdom of Hungary).

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

Autonomous Monster posted:

Man, there are a lot of total conversion mods for this game. Just looking at the mod forum, you got

Game of Thrones
Elder Scrolls
Middle Earth
Dragon Age
Some sci-fi thing
Warhammer Fantasy
The Witcher
World of Darkness
Touhou

Honestly surprised there's no Star Wars in that list. :v:

Actually, is there a good Warring States mod? All I know of is the one in-progress by a Korean dude. I tried installing Sengoku but it wasn't working, so when Rajas patches up I'll give it another shot.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

Serperoth posted:

Honestly surprised there's no Star Wars in that list. :v:

Isn't there someone making a Star Wars mod? I could have sworn I saw it before.

Kainser
Apr 27, 2010

O'er the sea from the north
there sails a ship
With the people of Hel
at the helm stands Loki
After the wolf
do wild men follow

Autonomous Monster posted:

Game of Thrones
Elder Scrolls
Middle Earth
Dragon Age
Some sci-fi thing
Warhammer Fantasy
The Witcher
World of Darkness
Touhou

I believe that The Game of Thrones and Elder Scrolls mod are the only ones that are in any reasonable state (I think the Middle Earth one is slowly getting somewhere as well). Easily modded games like this will always accrue a large amount of Total Conversion projects, but most of them doesn't get anywhere.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

catlord posted:

Isn't there someone making a Star Wars mod? I could have sworn I saw it before.

They are but its only in the planning stages.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Oh man I will sperg so hard about that if it comes out.

e:
Mandalorian Crusader Kings
Coruscant Universalis
Palpatine: An Empire Under The Sun

StashAugustine fucked around with this message at 01:47 on Apr 7, 2014

unicr0n
Sep 8, 2003
Can anything think of a reason that I can't select the Beta Update option?
I've restarted Steam twice, validated the game files etc. When I goto CK2 -> Properties -> Beta all I see is None, 1.111 and 2.0.4.

**edit** OK so a validation, plus another restart and now I can see the option.

unicr0n fucked around with this message at 02:05 on Apr 7, 2014

cryptoclastic
Jul 3, 2003

The Jesus
If I update to the beta version is it going to break my save files or anything? Will the saves I have now (already under 2.1.1) automatically work in the beta?

Allyn
Sep 4, 2007

I love Charlie from Busted!

cryptoclastic posted:

If I update to the beta version is it going to break my save files or anything? Will the saves I have now (already under 2.1.1) automatically work in the beta?

Worked fine for me, but do note that it may not retroactively fix some of the issues. Like, any of those province modifiers for +50% revolt risk may well still be +50% and take forever to remove.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Did that post-apocalyptic america mod ever get anywhere, progress wise?

crazypeltast52
May 5, 2010

Stairmaster posted:

Also there was a New York City version that was planned, by a goon I think?

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!

crazypeltast52 posted:

Also there was a New York City version that was planned, by a goon I think?

That'd be Olafolaf, who posted about it not too many pages ago. I think he's currently working on making it compatible with the latest patch.

Also, there's me! I'm making a fantasy total conversion mod that isn't based on any pre-existing franchise at all, but I'm currently waiting for the patch to come out of beta so I don't have to do all the work to make it beta-compatible and then have to make it patch-compatible too.

DrSunshine fucked around with this message at 03:28 on Apr 7, 2014

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

Stairmaster posted:

I feel like a new one pops up every few months. People get too ambitious with their ideas and attrition kicks in.

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT

Allyn posted:

That is exactly how it's supposed to work, although you should also vassalize any counties you didn't occupy who were within the war target (in this case any within the de jure kingdom of Hungary).
Hm. I guess maybe the problem was that the guy actually had a fair bit of territory outside the de-jure kingdom. That probably explains it.

Futuresight
Oct 11, 2012

IT'S ALL TURNED TO SHIT!

TorakFade posted:

So, retinues. I am Norman , and I quite like the extra oomph of the Knight retinue, but 1600 retinue points for 500 guys is harsh.

Right now it's year 1100-something and I have about 3300 retinue points, so it's either 2 knight retinues or 1 knight + 2 "normal" retinues, seen that I can pull about 6000 man of levies from my demesne I'd be inclined to go 2 knight and join them to my levies to give that extra edge, but in the future I'd like to not even pull up levies to deal with small wars/rebellions.

What's a good retinue composition generally speaking ?

I'm still liking 100% skirmishers/longbows until you can summon large enough numbers of heavy cav. Sure sometimes your entire retinue gets completely trashed by the enemy hitting good tactics, but most of the time you massacre armies in the skirmish phase and run through holdings like they're made of wet paper. It gets you to the point where you only use retinues much faster, which is so important for constant warmongering. Once you can summon large enough numbers of heavy cav retinues you can just switch over to 100% of those if you want as it generally coincides with you being rich as a mofo.

Then again I'm also of the opinion that the less time balancing my armies the better. I like being able to just split off a force and send it somewhere knowing exactly what it consists of and is capable of because it can only be 1 troop type. When you're running around a big empire crushing revolts and fighting multiple thinly-justified wars all over the world it makes it a lot less of a hassle.

dPB
Aug 2, 2006
Captain Awesome

Munin posted:

Btw, What happens if you give one of your relatives in your dynasty a Merchant Republic title? Can that cause issues down the line?

The only thing I've noticed is that making a merchant republic will sometimes screw around with inheritances and if you have elective succession sometimes you won't be able to nominate your children. You may also find older male relatives disappearing from your court because they've become the patrician. This should only apply to unlanded dynasty members though.

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

dPB posted:

The only thing I've noticed is that making a merchant republic will sometimes screw around with inheritances and if you have elective succession sometimes you won't be able to nominate your children. You may also find older male relatives disappearing from your court because they've become the patrician. This should only apply to unlanded dynasty members though.

I've also seen straight stuff like the heir to Dogeship of Venice being married to the Queen of Hungary because they were of the same dynasty.

If you do make some distant cousin the first Doge of a Republic, though, they seem to do well because of the added prestige.

By the way, speaking of merchant republics, I thought the Doge always had to be male? I noticed in my last game that one of mine had a female Doge about three times in a row.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo

Strudel Man posted:

Hm. I guess maybe the problem was that the guy actually had a fair bit of territory outside the de-jure kingdom. That probably explains it.

You take every single holding in each county that you have sieged (only need to siege the top holding) but you vassalize any counties in the dejure kingdom you're invading, if you didn't siege them.

I realized that when I invaded "greece" but never ventured beyond constatinople and ended with a bunch of greek orthodox vassals in anatolia.

• Locked thread