Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck
I've always read you're not supposed to boil water in a cast iron pan. It's ok to do?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

Thats how my father has always cleaned his cast iron - boil water and scrape the poo poo out of it. And his pans are very old - seems to work. I think the general theory of "its cast iron, just don't leave it wet" is pretty accurate.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

The Ferret King posted:

I've always read you're not supposed to boil water in a cast iron pan. It's ok to do?

You can't boil water in a pan? haha. What email from grandma with the funny jokes did you read that from? You wouldn't be able to do ANY cooking if that were the case. But honestly, where'd you read that?

Like above, you certainly don't want to leave it wet when you're done, but there's nothing wrong with boiling water.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

When I'm done cooking, I get my pan nice and hot, spray the inside down with cold water (it should hiss and spit), scrub with a plastic brush (no soap), spray again, dry with a towel, then put it back on the burner with a little bit of vegetable oil and wipe that around the pan while it heats and dries the rest of the way. When that's juuust at its smoke point I remove the heat and let the thing air dry.

onemanlan
Oct 4, 2006
Thank you guys for the awesome advice!

feelz good man
Jan 21, 2007

deal with it

Brocktoon posted:

So, I'm planning on buying my first cast iron skillet, possession of which is long overdue at this point. There's one small problem, though, which I forsee causing problems:

My entire life I've had "dirty = bad" drilled into my head, especially when it comes to food implements, so the idea of having a piece of cookery that I simply wipe out or rinse off before wiping with oil and putting into the cabinet to fester until I use it again is completely repulsive to me. How do I convince myself that I'm not giving myself botulism every time I cook with my skillet due to rancid fats covering it, and resist the urge to scrub it to all hell (which has probably already caused me to completely ruin my cast iron skillet/grill pan)?

Never buy a barbecue or smoker at any point in your life. Protip.

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck

Drifter posted:

You can't boil water in a pan? haha. What email from grandma with the funny jokes did you read that from? You wouldn't be able to do ANY cooking if that were the case. But honestly, where'd you read that?

Like above, you certainly don't want to leave it wet when you're done, but there's nothing wrong with boiling water.

I mean, the #1 google result on how to clean a cast iron pan says it's fine. But the #2 result says never do it.

I've read concerns from goons about boiling water in past threads about cast iron, including this one, which I noticed you addressed already, sorry for missing it. A firm enough kitchen utensil has always been everything I needed to scrape my pan clean, so it never occurred to me to try water on it since I'd heard it might be a bad idea and I guess the negative association stuck stronger than anything I read countering that advice.

Won't make that mistake again though, holy cow.

BLARGHLE
Oct 2, 2013

But I want something good
to die for
To make it beautiful to live.
Yams Fan
I saw a thing about the making of Le Creuset enameled cast iron cookware on How It's Made, and now I'm really curious about it. I've been wanting a cast iron skillet for a while, but didn't want to deal with seasoning and whatnot. Is this stuff a good, if expensive, alternative?

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
Ferret King, I didn't mean to sound disparaging or anything, I was legitimately surprised someone would say you can't cook water in it. Like, you're not supposed to cook a stew or soup or jambalaya or anything else like that? If seasoning is coming off at 212F+water then it's not a proper season to begin with. In that case you just season a little more carefully at a higher heat.

BLARGHLE posted:

I saw a thing about the making of Le Creuset enameled cast iron cookware on How It's Made, and now I'm really curious about it. I've been wanting a cast iron skillet for a while, but didn't want to deal with seasoning and whatnot. Is this stuff a good, if expensive, alternative?

You don't really 'deal' with seasoning, it's just something us car guys Cast Iron guys talk up. The fact of the matter is for 15 or 20 bucks you can get something that'll pretty much never get hosed or chipped or wear away and is a pretty good piece of unmachinery to work with.

You preheat the pan, add a little oil before you add the food and then you're golden.

It's certainly an alternative, but I honestly can't see why you'd spend the extra money. I guess enamel might not discolor certain sauces or something, but you shouldn't be using cast iron for delicate little things like that in the first place. Also there are certain reactive/acidic dishes and you don't have to worry at all about rust (just dry the goddamn pan, for real)...but I don't know.

Enamel can chip if you're rough with it, and unlike normal CI seasoning which can repair through cooking, you now have a chipped enamel pan.

I don't care what you cook with - if you like it, you like it - but it's such a huge price inequality for almost the same thing, in my opinion.

To get a good seasoning over time without any fuss you literally just cook with the normal cast iron like normal, but then you rinse it out with a brush and water, put it back on the burner to get it hot and completely dry, and pour a scoonch of oil that you can spread around the hot pan (you can wipe it down with a cloth or paper towel) and then let the whole thing cool down.

Drifter fucked around with this message at 00:07 on Apr 7, 2014

BLARGHLE
Oct 2, 2013

But I want something good
to die for
To make it beautiful to live.
Yams Fan

Drifter posted:

Ferret King, I didn't mean to sound disparaging or anything, I was legitimately surprised someone would say you can't cook water in it. Like, you're not supposed to cook a stew or soup or jambalaya or anything else like that? If seasoning is coming off at 212F+water then it's not a proper season to begin with. In that case you just season a little more carefully at a higher heat.

You don't really 'deal' with seasoning, it's just something us car guys Cast Iron guys talk up. The fact of the matter is for 15 or 20 bucks you can get something that'll pretty much never get hosed or chipped or wear away and is a pretty good piece of unmachinery to work with.

You preheat the pan, add a little oil before you add the food and then you're golden.

It's certainly an alternative, but I honestly can't see why you'd spend the extra money. I guess enamel might not discolor certain sauces or something, but you shouldn't be using cast iron for delicate little things like that in the first place. Also certain reactive dishes and you don't have to worry at all about rust...but I don't know.

Enamel can chip if you're rough with it, and unlike normal CI seasoning which can repair through cooking, you now have a chipped enamel pan.

I don't care what you cook with - if you like it, you like it - but it's such a huge price inequality for almost the same thing, in my opinion.

To get a good seasoning over time without any fuss you literally just cook with the normal cast iron like normal, but then you rinse it out with a brush and water, put it back on the burner to get it hot and completely dry, and pour a scoonch of oil that you can spread around the hot pan (you can wipe it down with a cloth or paper towel) and then let the whole thing cool down.

Yeah, I was kinda thinking the same thing. It seems cool, but for $150, I think I could just get the cheap alternative and do a little more work.

Le0
Mar 18, 2009

Rotten investigator!
So first cast iron use trip report:

I decided to first cook some bacon, and added vegetables (potatoes, carrots and zuchini)
The bacon cooking went well but then I let it go too hot and poo poo started burning, which gave it a nice carbon flavour.
Lesson learned: Do not set too warm or poo poo will burn. :v:

Once the veggies were done, I let it warm quite a bit more and then added canola oil. poo poo smoked all over the house, and I mean like really thick smoke, I opened all windows.
I then cooked steaks for a few mins each side. poo poo was really tasty.
I need to try this with a nice thick rib-eye all I had were small steaks.

All in all nice experience. poo poo was tasty but a bit burned!
I will need to clean it a bit better following advice given just now.

LudwigVon Lugnuts
May 15, 2005

When the hell did I put Greenman on?!!

BLARGHLE posted:

Yeah, I was kinda thinking the same thing. It seems cool, but for $150, I think I could just get the cheap alternative and do a little more work.

I have this one. http://www.amazon.com/Lodge-EC6D43-Enameled-Island-6-Quart/dp/B000N501BK
$50 with prime shipping.

I've had mine for 5 years. Love it. Great for searing meats right before adding the rest of the ingredients, like for stews or soups. Makes awesome french onion soup. Cleanup is super easy since it's enameled. Good in the oven to 500F.

I also have many cast iron pans, one of which I brought back from the dead. It was covered with rust for years. I ran it through a cleaning cycle in the oven, scrubbed off all the rusty ash, sprayed it with canola Pam and baked it on in the oven at 500F for an hour. It now looks like I just bought it and cooks awesome.

For cleanup I put dish soap on a soft scrubby sponge and lightly scrub. Dry immediately and leave out until completely dry. That's it. I do it to all my cast iron, been doing it for years and my pans are still seasoned and the police haven't come to my house.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Le0 posted:

So first cast iron use trip report:

I decided to first cook some bacon, and added vegetables (potatoes, carrots and zuchini)
The bacon cooking went well but then I let it go too hot and poo poo started burning, which gave it a nice carbon flavour.
Lesson learned: Do not set too warm or poo poo will burn. :v:

Once the veggies were done, I let it warm quite a bit more and then added canola oil. poo poo smoked all over the house, and I mean like really thick smoke, I opened all windows.
I then cooked steaks for a few mins each side. poo poo was really tasty.
I need to try this with a nice thick rib-eye all I had were small steaks.

All in all nice experience. poo poo was tasty but a bit burned!
I will need to clean it a bit better following advice given just now.

One of the weirdest parts of cast iron when you first start using it is heat control. Compared to most (everything but heavy-duty AlClad type stuff) cookware, cast iron has a gently caress-off huge amount of mass, and it takes awhile to get to temperature. You can very easily find yourself chasing the right pan temperature, because you didn't preheat the pan.

Zuhzuhzombie!!
Apr 17, 2008
FACTS ARE A CONSPIRACY BY THE CAPITALIST OPRESSOR
Can I get some info on properly seasoning/cleaning a cast iron?

I have one handed down to me from my grandmother that as far as I know is properly seasoned, but the bottom side leaves rust rings whether wet or dry. It's not completely non stick as some food with usually get stuck on it. My mom says to clean it I just put it on high heat, throw in some salt and oil, and then scour the pan until it's clean but this doesn't get it completely clean.

I have a cast iron griddle and a cast iron dutch oven that need to be completely seasoned as well.

Brocktoon
Jul 18, 2006

Before we engage we should hang back and study their tactics.
I grabbed what I believe is called a "cowboy steak" for dinner tonight: a rib-eye a little over 2 lbs and 2-2.5 inches thick. I've looked around and advice on how to cook it seem to be all over the place - searing first and roasting at high heat (500), searing and roasting at low heat (225), roasting first and searing at the end.... Any have any advice that would help cut through the static?

Baron Fuzzlewhack
Sep 22, 2010

ALIVE ENOUGH TO DIE
Sear first, then roast, probably at the higher temperature.

I did the exact same thing with a pork loin last night (sear top and bottom 4 minutes each, sides 1.5 mins, stick in 450° oven for ~15 mins) and it came out perfectly tender and juicy. Sure, they're different meats, but the principle should still be the same.

PatMarshall
Apr 6, 2009

You get a better crust and edge to edge pink if you roast first at a low temperature, then sear. It's a great piece of meat, though, so long as you don't overcook it, it will be delicious.

Brocktoon
Jul 18, 2006

Did a high-heat sear first then roasted in the oven. Developed a really kick rear end crust and tasted great. The only disappointment was that despite pulling it at 125 degrees, I looked more mid-to-high medium when sliced than a nice medium rare. Not sure what I did wrong. Did I rest it too long? (10 min) Should I not cover it with foil while resting?

Invisible Ted
Aug 24, 2011

hhhehehe

Brocktoon posted:

Did a high-heat sear first then roasted in the oven. Developed a really kick rear end crust and tasted great. The only disappointment was that despite pulling it at 125 degrees, I looked more mid-to-high medium when sliced than a nice medium rare. Not sure what I did wrong. Did I rest it too long? (10 min) Should I not cover it with foil while resting?

125 degrees is about exactly medium, and it rested up from there.

Brocktoon
Jul 18, 2006

Invisible Ted posted:

Really? Everything I've read says 125 is rare, medium rare being 130-135...

VERTiG0
Jul 11, 2001

go move over bro

Invisible Ted posted:

I think you're a bit low on that...

dingolord
Sep 26, 2004

BLARGHLE posted:

One advantage of enameled is that you can cook acidic things in it without worrying about having to rebuild your hard earned multi-layered seasoning. I really like my enameled dutch oven for doing braises, or tomato recipe heavy dishes like this http://www.goonswithspoons.com/Moroccan_Chicken_and_Couscous

Invisible Ted
Aug 24, 2011

hhhehehe

VERTiG0 posted:

I think you're a bit low on that...

Is there something I'm missing? Working with beef tenderloin, ribeye and to some extent N.Y strips, 125 out of the oven was always medium, resting up to med-well given maybe 8 minutes or so, depending on the temperature of the oven it came out of.

If it was prime rib, 125 might be more med-rare. I don't have nearly as much experience with that, however.

Marta Velasquez
Mar 9, 2013

Good thing I was feeling suicidal this morning...
Fallen Rib
http://www.foodsafety.gov/keep/charts/mintemp.html says 145F with a 3 minute rest is "safe", so I always took that to mean medium.

I usually pull it out of the oven at 130F for medium rare.

Invisible Ted
Aug 24, 2011

hhhehehe

contrapants posted:

http://www.foodsafety.gov/keep/charts/mintemp.html says 145F with a 3 minute rest is "safe", so I always took that to mean medium.

I usually pull it out of the oven at 130F for medium rare.

For my past year on grill at my old job, I'd pull beef out at 112-115 and rest about 5 minutes to medium rare, final temp usually around 120, always came out fine :shrug:

Korwen
Feb 26, 2003

don't mind me, I'm just out hunting.

My experiences echo that of invisible Ted. If I want the max temperature of my steak to hit 132 or 133 in the middle, I would pull the steak around 118 to 121, and in the 3-4 minutes I would let it rest the steak would continue rising in temperature in the middle until it would peak around 133. If you pull your steak out of the pan at 130 or 135 it's gonna go up another 8-10 degrees while its resting.

edit: stake

Marta Velasquez
Mar 9, 2013

Good thing I was feeling suicidal this morning...
Fallen Rib
Maybe it's the way I cook it, then.

I tend to sear it on one side, then flip it over and immediately put it in a 350F oven. It usually only stays in the oven for 5 minutes or so until it hits 130F. Maybe I'm doing it wrong.

Baron Fuzzlewhack
Sep 22, 2010

ALIVE ENOUGH TO DIE
I tend to sear both sides until I'm satisfied (so about the same amount of time each side) before throwing it in the oven. It generally doesn't kill one side like you might think.

Usually it gives each side a slightly different texture, which is quite pleasant.

Opensourcepirate
Aug 1, 2004

Except Wednesdays
I've been thinking it's about time to buy some more cast iron, so I just ordered a new Lodge 5 Quart Dutch Oven with Skillet Cover. The cover will be nice, as I actually only have 8 inch and 15 inch cast iron skillets right now. I didn't realize how big 15 inches was until I got it, but I do love that thing.

http://www.amazon.com/Lodge-L8DD3-Casserole-Skillet-5-Quart/dp/B000LEXR0K/

Opensourcepirate
Aug 1, 2004

Except Wednesdays
Double post to say that I've now used my new dutch oven.

I heated it on a medium burner for a while with some oil, then added a whole chicken to brown a bit on both sides. After a few minutes of that, I took it out and filled it with large chunks of potato, carrot, and onion. I covered the bird with rosemary that I wetted with olive oil, placed it on top of the veggies, and put the whole thing in a 350 degree oven for like and hour and a half.

I'm liking the results. It's not super amazing, but it was quite easy and delicious. I should have used more salt, but I'll try to remedy that a bit tomorrow.

Opensourcepirate
Aug 1, 2004

Except Wednesdays
Triple post because on day two of owning a dutch oven, I baked a loaf of bread.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

I poked my head in here to see about a cast iron dutch oven as my wife ruined my enameled one. :argh: And that one looks perfect. I like that you can use both top and bottom.

Massasoit posted:

boil water and scrape the poo poo out of it.

That how I clean mine, the boiling water does most of the work. Sometimes I'll scour it with salt and paper towel.

Captain Trips
May 23, 2013
The sudden reminder that I have no fucking clue what I'm talking about
The girl is staying here for the weekend, so I told her I'd make pancakes on Sunday morning.

"I love pancakes! I'll bring my Perfect Pancake Maker™!"
"I always just use my cast iron pan..."
"Ooooh, fancy, those pans rock."

:smug:

So what if my square pan makes pancakes with corners?

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Captain Trips posted:

The girl is staying here for the weekend, so I told her I'd make pancakes on Sunday morning.

"I love pancakes! I'll bring my Perfect Pancake Maker™!"
"I always just use my cast iron pan..."
"Ooooh, fancy, those pans rock."

:smug:

So what if my square pan makes pancakes with corners?

Is it such a small pan or are you just making giant fuckoff pancakes? I've never made a pancake that touched the side of my pans. Maybe I should start increasing my pancake volume. I do love pancakes.

Captain Trips
May 23, 2013
The sudden reminder that I have no fucking clue what I'm talking about

Drifter posted:

Is it such a small pan or are you just making giant fuckoff pancakes? I've never made a pancake that touched the side of my pans. Maybe I should start increasing my pancake volume. I do love pancakes.

It's not a huge pan by any means, but they are fuckoff-huge pancakes.

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.

BLARGHLE posted:

You could get a Le Creuset pan with their black satin finish which you then season...

The normal enamel finish isn't non-stick, btw. Le Creuset stuff is awesome but it is rather expensive. If you earn lots of money then go for it. If you're a struggling student or gas station attendant and you really want enameled cookware there are cheaper brands out there that would be just as good.

drgitlin fucked around with this message at 16:42 on May 17, 2014

Le0
Mar 18, 2009

Rotten investigator!
I achieved crust on a steak. Still some improvements to be made, mainly getting thicker steaks... but I'm getting there.

Le0 fucked around with this message at 14:05 on May 18, 2014

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Always pat dry the steak, use kosher or another large grained salt, allow steak to rise to room temperature beforehand, and get the pan really drat hot (and keep it that way), and then don't crowd the pan and try to do too many at once. Crust every time.

Paper With Lines
Aug 21, 2013

The snozzberries taste like snozzberries!
I agree with the above post but I have also been doing the flip your steak way and that works fantastically as well. The butter helps rapidly develop a very good crust as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

That pan has been seasoned and in use for several multiples of my life span. Family on my father's side gives cast iron to brides as wedding presents, with explicit instructions regarding both how it's the best cookware and that you can kill your husband with it while he's sleeping if he ever cheats. Mamaw gave this one to my mother and I think she got it from hers (my great-grand mother), who was a Floyd (that Floyd's niece).

• Locked thread