Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
a nast
Mar 29, 2014

by Cyrano4747

Extra posted:

That's a poo poo ton of work in terms of animations, textures, and models that's not feasible at all. You would get a ton of model clipping, texture stretching, and paying your animators a large portion of your budget. It's really annoying to see people post about what features they want to see in games without understanding the practical engineering that goes into those features actually being implemented. There's about one game with an insanely advanced character/clothing customization system and that's All Points Bulletin and it has only humans and very set in stone animations for each gender. Tens of millions of dollars were spent on designing APB's customization system.

saints row did it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
Is Warrior very fun? I see almost none of them, but I like the style of the class. Does it just kinda devolve into swinging your sword and semi-facetanking things or something?

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Extra posted:

I don't have the effort to sift through posts, is he QA or what? Have to give him kudos for calling me out when I was actively defending Wildstar's lack of customization because of the complexities involved in heavy customization systems.

He's their senior community guy.

Archonex
May 2, 2012

MY OPINION IS SEERS OF THE THRONE PROPAGANDA IGNORE MY GNOSIS-IMPAIRED RAMBLINGS

Extra posted:

I pre-ordered CO and instead of your normal MMO gear pieces you just swap a bunch of different gear pieces to make up your character. Set portions of textures can be dyed set colors. Each of the set 10-20 conveyance options have their own animations. If you screw with the customization enough stuff just clips through each other and again looks like baked rear end. You can have a huge amount of customization like those two super hero games do but you're going to run into some serious appearance issues and have people with some of the dumbest looking chracters ever romping around. I knew in CoH/CO you would literally have furry vampire goblin alligator mechs. You also kind of forget to mention that CO's actual game content is heavily stunted, most likely because they spent so much time/money on just customization. If Wildstar spent a huge amount of their budget on a stunted customization system like CO did then we wouldn't have many gameplay features that are pivotal to the Wildstar experience. Character customization is never an afterthought and can have a huge impact on the rest of your game. Which is why it doesn't surprise me that CO has 0 gear appearance system, and instead relies on a set character customization choice system. It really amounts to equipping gear into a certain slot and then picking a color or a "dye".

Holy poo poo dude. All I said was that you were wrong about the customization options available in CO. None of that poo poo is relevant. Nor is most of it true, but whatever.

Archonex fucked around with this message at 00:23 on Apr 6, 2014

puberty worked me over
May 20, 2013

by Cyrano4747

Archonex posted:

Nor is most of it true, but whatever.

I'm currently logged into Champions online and it's completely true, but whatever. CO has 5 animation sets per character and your armor pieces just clip through each other as much as you want. Champions Online lets you create whatever horrible abomination of a character you want and CoH did the same thing. Everything can clip through everything else. They just said F it and let the players sort it out. It makes for a terrible amateur looking game. If you want to do that fine but CO was a complete financial flop and had no content at launch beyond kill X mans quests.

a nast
Mar 29, 2014

by Cyrano4747

Extra posted:

I'm currently logged into Champions online and it's completely true, but whatever. CO has 5 animation sets per character and your armor pieces just clip through each other as much as you want. Champions Online lets you create whatever horrible abomination of a character you want and CoH did the same thing. Everything can clip through everything else. They just said F it and let the players sort it out. It makes for a terrible amateur looking game. If you want to do that fine but CO was a complete financial flop and had no content at launch beyond kill X mans quests.

saints row has a million animations and not much clipping despite hundreds of outfits and extreme body types, so stfu about it not being possible

Zlodo
Nov 25, 2006

Pryce posted:

I'm so sorry, but you keep dropping into MMO threads and pretending you know what you're talking about, and it has been driving me insane.

The comment above shows a fundamental misunderstanding of how anything is made. Are you really saying that because artists spend so much time making various customization options, a quest is made worse because of it? Or that there are less dungeons because we added three extra hair types? That's just not how it works in any major game company ever. (I leave out indies here because yeah, they do pull double/triple duty often.)

Actually, he's right. Adding more content for existing customization options is just art work, but adding new customization options is the type of thing that involve pretty much every department of a game dev team.
You need designers to decide how it will work, UI designers to decide how the UI for the feature should work, render programmers to provide the added flexibility to modify the player models/textures/animations for the new customization option while still retaining as much performance as possible, UI programmers to add the feature to the UI, network programmers to replicate the necessary data efficiently so that you can see the customization of other players, you need to add them into the database backend to store them, you need the tool programmers to extend the content tools so the artists can add the content for that customization option, you need to translate whatever strings were added to the UI for the new customization options, and finally you need the QA department to spend some time testing that.

Opioid
Jul 3, 2008

<3 Blood Type ARRRRR
Played it to 11 this weekend and that was enough to convince me to preorder. Just felt fun, even the settler path (which at times felt like a life long gather quest).

What are the UI changes that are coming? I agree that right now speech bubbles and a lot of the elements are way too tiny. It doesn't need to be over the top and gaudy like vanilla wow but just some outline and background to quest stuff via communicator would be cool.

miscellaneous14
Mar 27, 2010

neat

CLAM DOWN posted:

You're exactly correct, probably why I'm so into GW2 and can't see myself playing a traditional MMO again. GW2 is many things and sure has many faults which I'm sure the spergs itching for 40 man raiding here will be quick to point out, but it's an extremely inclusive games that takes away many traditional barriers.

I kind of wish all MMOs did what GW2 does for PvP where you're temporarily max level whenever you queue into it, except also do that for PvE. I am so goddamn sick of doing the same "pick up 5 quests, kill 2 dozen monsters, turn in quests, walk to next quest hub and repeat" leveling process in every modern MMO, it's both not challenging and really tedious. And it keeps me away from doing group content which I actually genuinely like because it requires me to pay attention to enemy mechanics, character builds, ability rotations, etc.

Gating endgame content behind a leveling path that often shares almost no mechanical similarities beyond "kill things" is a stupid tradition that needs to die.

Manifest Dynasty
Feb 29, 2008

Opioid posted:

Played it to 11 this weekend and that was enough to convince me to preorder. Just felt fun, even the settler path (which at times felt like a life long gather quest).

What are the UI changes that are coming? I agree that right now speech bubbles and a lot of the elements are way too tiny. It doesn't need to be over the top and gaudy like vanilla wow but just some outline and background to quest stuff via communicator would be cool.

http://www.wildstar-online.com/en/news/wildstar_ui_20_preview_less_is_more.php/

Evil_Greven
Feb 20, 2007

Whadda I got to,
whadda I got to do
to wake ya up?

To shake ya up,
to break the structure up!?

miscellaneous14 posted:

I kind of wish all MMOs did what GW2 does for PvP where you're temporarily max level whenever you queue into it, except also do that for PvE. I am so goddamn sick of doing the same "pick up 5 quests, kill 2 dozen monsters, turn in quests, walk to next quest hub and repeat" leveling process in every modern MMO, it's both not challenging and really tedious. And it keeps me away from doing group content which I actually genuinely like because it requires me to pay attention to enemy mechanics, character builds, ability rotations, etc.

Gating endgame content behind a leveling path that often shares almost no mechanical similarities beyond "kill things" is a stupid tradition that needs to die.

Personally, I started out playing MMOs with UO way back in the first year. I think that halfway ruined MMOs for me, since nearly all of the rest of them went for level-based MUD/EQ system. Limited Action Sets are a step in the right direction, though, which is one reason I liked Guild Wars (the first) so much... also, pvp at max level.

Lyer
Feb 4, 2008

For those of you who played in this weekend beta, did they change the ttk for mobs yet?

BQuietNDrive
Dec 2, 2004
Furious Masticator
Have been in the last 3 weekend betas. Honestly not sure what the TTK problem is/was, so I'm going to assume yes.

Takes maybe 3-4 actions to kill a mob on most of the classes I've played.

oneof3steves
Oct 25, 2007

Sgulp

Extra posted:

I don't have the effort to sift through posts, is he QA or what? Have to give him kudos for calling me out when I was actively defending Wildstar's lack of customization because of the complexities involved in heavy customization systems.

All of your posts in this thread and the ESO thread initially made me really curious as to how old you are. On the one hand my first impression was really young, but then I figured you must've been around for UO/EQ/DAOC. These posts just seems like such a weird blend of naivety and complete confidence of opinion. Add to that the amount of energy invested into writing negatively about things, which I would understand if it was trolling or whatever, but it doesn't seem like you really care about eliciting reactions -- you just really like critiquing things that don't fit your very particular taste. Long story short I find your posts weirdly interesting.

Mormon Star Wars
Aug 13, 2005
It's a minotaur race...

All this discussion reminds me - Hey, Pryce, is there a way to avoid having your characters facial slider settings return to default after playing for a while? Every character I've made has kept the face until about halfway through the tutorial and then switched to default.

Opioid
Jul 3, 2008

<3 Blood Type ARRRRR
Mods I'm immediately looking forward to:
- Vendor all greys
- Auto sort bags
- currency indicators (I'm aware of the tab off inventory, but they all look so similar, it would be nice to mouse over the cost of something to find out exactly what small grey token it means)

RottenK
Feb 17, 2011

Sexy bad choices

FAILED NOJOE

oneof3steves posted:

All of your posts in this thread and the ESO thread initially made me really curious as to how old you are. On the one hand my first impression was really young, but then I figured you must've been around for UO/EQ/DAOC. These posts just seems like such a weird blend of naivety and complete confidence of opinion. Add to that the amount of energy invested into writing negatively about things, which I would understand if it was trolling or whatever, but it doesn't seem like you really care about eliciting reactions -- you just really like critiquing things that don't fit your very particular taste. Long story short I find your posts weirdly interesting.

Pretty sure that someone doesn't have to be a troll ar a chronic naive complainer to say bad things about ESO.

Zlodo
Nov 25, 2006

Mormon Star Wars posted:

All this discussion reminds me - Hey, Pryce, is there a way to avoid having your characters facial slider settings return to default after playing for a while? Every character I've made has kept the face until about halfway through the tutorial and then switched to default.

the game loses the customization slider data when doing certain things, like when playing a cinematic or when using certain mounts. It never actually persistently change your char, it comes back if you relog or if you teleport to a BG/housing/other continent.
Its also never displayed right on character selection

Pryce
May 21, 2011

Mormon Star Wars posted:

That's crazy weird, but it's likely a client-side problem. Does relogging fix it?

Arcfade
Nov 14, 2013

Or something
Yeah, it's a weird bug, but relogging does fix it.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

BQuietNDrive posted:

Have been in the last 3 weekend betas. Honestly not sure what the TTK problem is/was, so I'm going to assume yes.

Takes maybe 3-4 actions to kill a mob on most of the classes I've played.

Yea I've been playing since I preordered at the start and I've never experienced the killtime problems. Like yea if you facetank things and never dodge it'll probably be a huge pain but I can murder trash nice and fast.

Mormon Star Wars
Aug 13, 2005
It's a minotaur race...

Zlodo posted:

the game loses the customization slider data when doing certain things, like when playing a cinematic or when using certain mounts. It never actually persistently change your char, it comes back if you relog or if you teleport to a BG/housing/other continent.
Its also never displayed right on character selection

Oh cool, that did work, thanks.

db19182002
Apr 6, 2014
The WildStar Beta was amazing. The fast pace and fluid combat system really made the game shine in my opinion. The pvp was a bit of a learning curve but in the end had solid performance. I look forward to this game’s full launch and have already pre ordered Go dominion all the way.

Lemon King
Oct 4, 2009

im nt posting wif a mark on my head

I really want to say db19182002 sounds like a paid advertiser.

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

We come spinning out of nothingness, scattering stars like dust.

Lemon King posted:

I dunno man he seems pretty legit to me.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Lemon King posted:

Come clean to us Pryce, how much of the budget is being dedicated to incognito shills?

Opioid
Jul 3, 2008

<3 Blood Type ARRRRR
Google shows that he's really into Harry Potter fanfics.

the
Jul 18, 2004

by Cowcaster
so what's the deal with this game right now? If I preorder do I get beta access? when is it releasing?

Zlodo
Nov 25, 2006

Eltoasto posted:

I dunno man he seems pretty legit to me.

Yeah, just an enthusiastic guy who decided to buy an SA account to share his love for this game. Heck, apparently he agonized an entire day before deciding to make that post.

Pryce, aren't you working in the marketing department? Because you should go laugh at whoever made this happen

Pryce
May 21, 2011

Cao Ni Ma posted:

Come clean to us Pryce, how much of the budget is being dedicated to incognito shills?

Ehhhh about $30. Doesn't seem worth it though. Maybe Reddit would fall for it.

(In the rare case someone can't detect my sarcasm, I AM KIDDING.)

Opioid
Jul 3, 2008

<3 Blood Type ARRRRR
Also, apparently the other servers are available. Except I actually don't have any characters on them. And especially not that one on Orias.

Paracausal
Sep 5, 2011

Oh yeah, baby. Frame your suffering as a masterpiece. Only one problem - no one's watching. It's boring, buddy, boring as death.
Really keen to give this game a shot before preordering, any beta keys available? Is it particularly twitchy? Being in Australia sometimes saddles me with 200+ ping so I want to see how the distance will affect my game.

a cock shaped fruit
Aug 23, 2010

The true enemy of humanity is disorder.
I got in the beta months ago and played sporadically, finding the whole game felt like a 'fairly decent replacement for the WoW-void I felt'. I played a ton of MMO's before and after I fell out with WoW (at the start of Mists) and none of them really scratched the itch in any meaningful way, but I found Wildstar to be 'Not Bad'. I debated pre-ordering, because like I said - I wasn't enthralled with it, but it was the first MMO that didn't aggressively make me mad with it's design decisions.

Then I played the last couple of bonus weekends, and I have to say some of the smaller polish that's been applied has really amped me up for it. That, and the moments where I was bored and didn't want to actively quest I found myself with plenty of other cool stuff to do. I spent hours, with a meager as hell budget kitting out my house - and then when I realised I could visit random peoples homes I spent another hour or two checking out theirs (The house visit UI is shithouse though, you can't tell if someone has put in ANY effort short of crossing your fingers after you read they have at least NAMED their house. Welcome to 'My Home'! ...It's an empty plot.).

As an old WoW salt, I find myself looking forward to the game mainly because I am sure it's going to be a time sink, but I am confident that it won't be an aggravating or unfulfilling one. I am probably not going to be a super hardcore raider this time around, but I look forward to farming house stuff and running dungeons with friends - and if there is some incarnation of the 'Raid Finder' providing watered down raid content, I will be super pleased.

In short: It's me. I am the casual.

TG-Chrono posted:

Really keen to give this game a shot before preordering, any beta keys available? Is it particularly twitchy? Being in Australia sometimes saddles me with 200+ ping so I want to see how the distance will affect my game.

Greetings ausgoon! I am in Tassie, I can tell you that playing the game feels great - the only time that ping left me feeling upset was when I did PvP content and I felt like my targets where at an advantage to escape me. I'll admit I didn't do a LOT of PvP, but all of the questing and dungeon stuff I did felt great. Also the ping was under #200(160ms I think??).

RottenK
Feb 17, 2011

Sexy bad choices

FAILED NOJOE
I miss the days when a J2G was just a J2G. Now a guy can't even spend :10bux: to post on an internet forum without being accused of shilling.

nonpromqueen
Sep 25, 2006

Evil_Greven posted:

Personally, I started out playing MMOs with UO way back in the first year. I think that halfway ruined MMOs for me, since nearly all of the rest of them went for level-based MUD/EQ system. Limited Action Sets are a step in the right direction, though, which is one reason I liked Guild Wars (the first) so much... also, pvp at max level.

I hope you know about shroud of the avatar. :) I'm in the same boat as you UO and SWG ruined MMO's for me.

nonpromqueen
Sep 25, 2006

I played for a day and a bit, I liked it? I can't see it being a pay to play for long.

It's pretty, I found the controls a little weird, but I enjoyed what I got to see.

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
I really feel like this game scratches an itch that MMOs haven't scratched for me since I got mostly bored with WoW. Its colorful, I really like the area targeting and also the sci-fi setting. I only got to about level 10 so it seems like its drawing from improvements in the genre that other games have made. The only thing I really didn't like was the AMP tree, it looked really boring and just kind of meh.

Arzachel
May 12, 2012

nonpromqueen posted:

I played for a day and a bit, I liked it? I can't see it being a pay to play for long.

It's pretty, I found the controls a little weird, but I enjoyed what I got to see.

Same here, I but the 60$ + a sub is kind of a dealbreaker. I'd preorder if it didn't have a sub or the box price was significantly lower.

ByungGooseSong
Apr 8, 2014
I think the quality of the PvE content justifies the sub fee.

But yeah they would benefit from dropping the box fee a little.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coldstone Cream-my-pants
Jun 21, 2007

Arzachel posted:

Same here, I but the 60$ + a sub is kind of a dealbreaker. I'd preorder if it didn't have a sub or the box price was significantly lower.

You can buy it from 3rd party sites for less. Lot of people here bought from GMG and paid like $40 I think. Just make sure you get the correct version, there's NA and EU.

• Locked thread