Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"
I'm trying to do the blood blade trick and it doesn't seem to be working. I equip the sword, hit them but it doesn't seem to drain and it drat sure is not sticking around when I unequip. What am I doing wrong?

edit: same deal with the thief knife, I've never seen it actually mug.

edit2: ah you "use it" oops

Xguard86 fucked around with this message at 19:09 on Apr 5, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Mog
Jun 17, 2011
Just beat the game and I loved every second of it (aside from the obvious parts that most agree were a bit tedious). Totally a love letter to all of the NES/PS1 era FF games in the best possible way. For the sequel (if the West ever sees it, of course), I'd actually like to see it basically just be a big send-up/love letter to FFVI, since BD was one for FFV. A huge cast of characters (possibly instead of the current job system which might be stale the second time around), plenty of character development, a massive dark world, ect. That would be sweet.

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

Pureauthor posted:

If you're bored at that point then yes you should most probably bail out.

Do any of the jobs even get interesting later on? I love the poo poo out of final fantasy tactics for job system shenanigans but at least those people weren't big loving idiots all the time. I think swordmaster was the last thing I unlocked, and was terribly unimpressed with.

Griever
Jan 19, 2006

Everything has its beginning

Xguard86 posted:

edit2: ah you "use it" oops

Also if you're braving you can also unequip it after you've queued up the Use action, even though it technically hasn't been used yet, so no need to actually attack with it ever.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

Ignite Memories posted:

Do any of the jobs even get interesting later on? I love the poo poo out of final fantasy tactics for job system shenanigans but at least those people weren't big loving idiots all the time. I think swordmaster was the last thing I unlocked, and was terribly unimpressed with.

Every job has amazing abilities, though sometimes you have to max them out to get the really good ones.

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

Well most of my team is friend-linked to have all the final abilities and they mostly are pretty boring.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"

Griever posted:

Also if you're braving you can also unequip it after you've queued up the Use action, even though it technically hasn't been used yet, so no need to actually attack with it ever.

Accidentally figured that out. Basically broken the game now.

I don't think any classes have particularly awesome powers alone. It's more when you realize the broken stuff you can do mixing and matching.

Also late game expects you to have figured out some way to abuse the game, which is actually pretty wonderful since it's like all that game breaking back in the snes days was preparation for jrpg lvl2. I agree that between the intro and " I broke it", which is right around when you get the sword master, gets kind of boring but it's fun when you're rolling through everything so maybe just hit the story beats until chapter 5.

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

What's so great about sword master? Just the counter passive? It seems pretty dumb.

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

Ignite Memories posted:

What's so great about sword master? Just the counter passive? It seems pretty dumb.

Sword Magic makes your physical attackers even more impressive if the target has an elemental weakness (or you can just put one on them).

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
The sword master can counter multiple times in a row towards attacks towards even multi group attacks which a class like Ninja wouldn't normally be able to counter. That and its counter attacks generally hit harder. It's not spectacular, but it's a pretty alright class.

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

AngryRobotsInc posted:

Sword Magic makes your physical attackers even more impressive if the target has an elemental weakness (or you can just put one on them).

Which basically forces one of my characters to use examine throughout the whole game.

I love how your primary physical damage dealer can basically never change their class because you lose all your loving damage every time you do. Who thought that stupid poo poo up?

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Ignite Memories posted:

Combined with another member in the group using Kairai on the Swordmaster, the Swordmaster can then use Know Thine Enemy/Before Swine/Nothing Ventured and deal extreme damage to everything. If you don't want to use a Ninja, then just sub on Pirate for Provoke. This also means you can use Free Lunch so the Pirate can use all attacks without caring about mana.

The jobs by themselves aren't particularly interesting. The interesting things lie in finding out different combinations and jobs/abilities that work well together.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

Ignite Memories posted:

Its final ability is pretty amazing, and the counters are useful in some situations because they reduce the damage you take and work an unlimited number of times each round. It's not as strong as some other classes, but it has its niche uses.

Its final ability also makes it combo amazingly well with some other classes like Pirate.

Edit:

Ignite Memories posted:

Which basically forces one of my characters to use examine throughout the whole game.

I love how your primary physical damage dealer can basically never change their class because you lose all your loving damage every time you do. Who thought that stupid poo poo up?

This isn't quite true - you can use Salve Maker or some of the special attacks to make enemies weak to an element, which you can then use sword magic to exploit. In fact, that's the most reliable way to exploit elemental weaknesses, especially since you can turn an enemy's immunity to an element into a weakness to that element.

As for job levels, there's a point around chapter 4 or 5 where you can pretty easily level jobs up to 9 after a few fights, and then a chapter or two later you can reliably get 600+ JP per fight and quickly max out jobs from there. It's an annoying mechanic, but it's pretty easily surmountable.

Dirk the Average fucked around with this message at 21:34 on Apr 5, 2014

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Ignite Memories posted:

Uhhhh I think you're just kind of bad at the game.

Like, you're supposed to swap jobs around a lot, and enemy weaknesses are pretty intuitive.

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

I just now realized I misread Swordmaster as Spell Fencer so disregard what I said for being a benefit! Still a benefit for Sword Fencers, though. And I suppose a Sword Master with Sword Magic on their counters would be pretty good.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Swordmaster is incredibly good because the majority of the bosses primarily use single target attacks. Use one of the various ways to force the boss to target the Swordmaster and you can just rack up the damage.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
Nothing Ventured is the meanest Swordmaster attack.

Chump Farts
May 9, 2009

There is no Coordinator but Narduzzi, and Shilique is his Prophet.
Is doing all the side quest poo poo in Chapter 5 going to gently caress up my ending? I don't want to get the bad ending in a game that saves over one file.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Chump Farts posted:

Is doing all the side quest poo poo in Chapter 5 going to gently caress up my ending? I don't want to get the bad ending in a game that saves over one file.

Sidequests do not affect which ending you get. Once you get one ending you keep all the stuff you found along the way and can then proceed to the other one, so it is impossible to lose progress or gently caress up. Not only can you get both endings in one file, you should.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
Pirate + Spell Fencer is loving vicious, holy crap.

Now that I've cheated myself a Growth Egg my jp grinding is a lot less painful. And I can still keep myself from becoming totally overpowered by switching off Exp. I love this mechanic.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Okay, I laughed pretty hard at that title screen change, not gonna lie.

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

I love capitalism!! DM me for the best investing advice!
If i enchant the Ice brand sword with fire, does it do both types of damage or does one override the other?

Wyvernil
Mar 10, 2007

Meddle not in the affairs of dragons... for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

Dirk the Average posted:

Its final ability is pretty amazing, and the counters are useful in some situations because they reduce the damage you take and work an unlimited number of times each round. It's not as strong as some other classes, but it has its niche uses.

Its final ability also makes it combo amazingly well with some other classes like Pirate.

Just a quick question as to how "turns" work in this game, especially in regards to buffs like the aforementioned "Free Lunch" skill that lasts for two "turns".

If you spend four brave points to take four actions, does the game count it as one turn or four?

For instance, if you use Free Lunch on your first attack and then spend the rest of your BP on three uses of the Pirate's ability that does a double-damage attack in return for a percentage of his MP, does the MP-negation apply to all three uses, or just the first two?

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

Wyvernil posted:

Just a quick question as to how "turns" work in this game, especially in regards to buffs like the aforementioned "Free Lunch" skill that lasts for two "turns".

If you spend four brave points to take four actions, does the game count it as one turn or four?

For instance, if you use Free Lunch on your first attack and then spend the rest of your BP on three uses of the Pirate's ability that does a double-damage attack in return for a percentage of his MP, does the MP-negation apply to all three uses, or just the first two?

Actions aren't the same thing as turns. Braving to get four actions means you get four actions in one turn. So with a BP battery, you can get Free Lunch + Amped Strike x3 > Amped Strike x4 in two turns.

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
I just got this game and holy poo poo the boss music kicks rear end. Also Ringabel rules.

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
Sorry to double-post, but I have a BURNING QUESTION: Are Monks going to drop off as quickly as they do in FF5 or is the boss fight against Jackal, in which Agnes was not hitting for poo poo, a fringe case? She looks fine as a Thief but I was kinda digging Monk.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

alcharagia posted:

Sorry to double-post, but I have a BURNING QUESTION: Are Monks going to drop off as quickly as they do in FF5 or is the boss fight against Jackal, in which Agnes was not hitting for poo poo, a fringe case? She looks fine as a Thief but I was kinda digging Monk.

Monks are worth keeping around. They get a number of attacks which pierce or ignore enemy defenses and their final skill is a gamebreaker with certain setups.

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

Is the Salve maker super good but annoying to use, or is he bad and annoying to use? I want nothign to do with that bullshit but holy poo poo it seems like a strong class.

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
Those are some big numbers you're putting out there Profiteur. :stare:

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

alcharagia posted:

Those are some big numbers you're putting out there Profiteur. :stare:

That's the dick who does 333 damage no matter what right?

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Veskit posted:

Is the Salve maker super good but annoying to use, or is he bad and annoying to use? I want nothign to do with that bullshit but holy poo poo it seems like a strong class.

From what I can tell it's best when paired with mage classes to induce elemental weaknesses on guys. It's definitely not as powerful as the Alchemist from FFX-2 but I can see it breaking certain bosses over its knee when used properly.

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!

Veskit posted:

You can ignore almost all of the mixes. The important ones are Giant's Draft (double max health and full heal, can go over 9999!), the elemental Banes (that inflict the target with an elemental weakness - incredibly good paired with classes that focus on a single element), Resurrect (Phoenix Down + Potion, revive and full heal).

Salve-maker also gets a couple really good abilities, like Resurrect (revives your whole party at once) and Inoculate (can make people immune to status effects), plus they have Healing Lore which makes them really good at healing even with magic or whatever. Salve-maker is an incredibly powerful support class.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

Orgia Carnaval posted:

Okay, I laughed pretty hard at that title screen change, not gonna lie.

Did you do the early win? The early-win chapter title edit also made me smile.

Veskit posted:

Once you realize the salve-maker gets a zero-mp zero-bp whole-party resurrect ability, and can turn hipotion+xpotion into re-raise? It's super powerful. Grant whatever weakness your specials and weapons use, double your teammate HP, and other absurdities.

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

Thanks for the tips on salve makers.

gently caress, THESE STUPID FLARE LANTERNS THOUGH HOLY poo poo

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

My postillion has been struck by lightning.

Veskit posted:

If i enchant the Ice brand sword with fire, does it do both types of damage or does one override the other?

I'm pretty sure sword magic overrides any innate elemental properties of your weapon.

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Me bad posting? That's unpossible!
Lipstick Apathy
I like salve maker for the attack items too. They don't do the most damage but they ignore defense modifiers like defaulting or that weird shell that the one beholder boss has. Plus x-potions are fairly cheap and chucking poisoned ones with item crit and attack item boost can do decent if random damage. I like having salve maker as the sub ability of my white mage Agnes so she can get some chip damage in.

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

Thuryl posted:

I'm pretty sure sword magic overrides any innate elemental properties of your weapon.

Yuuuuup, you are correct.

Chaugmar :suicide: I'll figure it out no spoilers please.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
I know this question gets asked a lot, but I'm on Chapter 5 and I'm wondering how I should approach the multiple endings conundrum. I hear there's a way for me to skip to the final boss right now, but should I bother? Or should I soldier through things the way the game wants me to?

Again, I know this gets asked a lot. My bad.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST

Shinjobi posted:

I know this question gets asked a lot, but I'm on Chapter 5 and I'm wondering how I should approach the multiple endings conundrum. I hear there's a way for me to skip to the final boss right now, but should I bother? Or should I soldier through things the way the game wants me to?

Do the skipping, and after the Normal Ending you'll be dumped back to before the point of no return.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Shinjobi posted:

Keep going until the near end of Chapter 6, then go for it.

• Locked thread