Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Damo
Nov 8, 2002

The second-generation Pontiac Sunbird, introduced by the automaker for the 1982 model year as the J2000, was built to be an inexpensive and fuel-efficient front-wheel-drive commuter car capable of seating five.

Offensive Clock
Got myself one of my long-term desired objects last weekend, a copy of Zappa in New York signed by Frank himself.

I'm usually not one for caring about anything autographed by anyone really, but Zappa's is one of the few autographs I have always wanted, considering he's my all-time favorite musician. It cost me a pretty penny, but, for me at least, it was worth every last one. It's a great capstone to my 14+ year long and ongoing Zappa obsession, and my complete collection of Zappa's official releases (plus various bootlegs) on vinyl.

Sorry for the somewhat lovely picture, I had it hastily taken at the place I purchased it before they boxed it up for shipping.

Damo fucked around with this message at 06:17 on Apr 5, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Giga Gaia
May 2, 2006

360 kickflip to... Meteo?!
I want that Zappa thing a lot. Congrats, man. I'm also trying to get my hands on most of his original albums. Especially since he remixed all the CDs and stuff.

But, hey, vinyl thread. Are those record cleaner systems worth it? I've got some spare cash and I'm thinking of getting one. I was thinking of getting this one: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B002UKSZUU/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pd_S_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&colid=3HFMTARFWTF4M&coliid=I1FKNXG96GIO9M since i've seen it recommended before. But is there another option? Possibly one that doesn't cost me a dozen records?

beergod
Nov 1, 2004
NOBODY WANTS TO SEE PICTURES OF YOUR UGLY FUCKING KIDS YOU DIPSHIT
That cleaner has worked really well for me and frankly it's about the cheapest option out there that works. The next step down is a squirt bottle and a brush and the next step up is something powered by a motor.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Giga Gaia posted:

I want that Zappa thing a lot. Congrats, man. I'm also trying to get my hands on most of his original albums. Especially since he remixed all the CDs and stuff.

But, hey, vinyl thread. Are those record cleaner systems worth it? I've got some spare cash and I'm thinking of getting one. I was thinking of getting this one: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B002UKSZUU/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pd_S_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&colid=3HFMTARFWTF4M&coliid=I1FKNXG96GIO9M since i've seen it recommended before. But is there another option? Possibly one that doesn't cost me a dozen records?

Build your own?

http://www.instructables.com/id/Make-your-own-professional-record-cleaning-machine/

EDIT: That's a really weird design. But there's a million different ones to model on audiokarma.

BigFactory fucked around with this message at 18:50 on Apr 5, 2014

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

BigFactory posted:

Build your own?

http://www.instructables.com/id/Make-your-own-professional-record-cleaning-machine/

EDIT: That's a really weird design. But there's a million different ones to model on audiokarma.

Dragging a hard plastic tube across the playing surface seems like a terrible idea.

Just buy the loving spin clean.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

CPL593H posted:

Dragging a hard plastic tube across the playing surface seems like a terrible idea.

It's kind of interesting. The nylon string is the part that's actually in contact with the playing surface, but most of the ones you see online just ape those expensive record cleaning machines. Like this: http://www.amazon.com/Music-Hall-WC...leaning+machine Some kind of arm with a velvet brush hooked up to a shop vac.

Here's one on audiokarma http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/showthread.php?t=387590

BigFactory fucked around with this message at 20:31 on Apr 5, 2014

Giga Gaia
May 2, 2006

360 kickflip to... Meteo?!

CPL593H posted:

That looks to be the plan. Those DIY solutions are cool, but I don't really have any of the tools to make something like that right now.

That 750 american dollar vacuum cleaner thing existing makes me upset.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride

Giga Gaia posted:

That looks to be the plan. Those DIY solutions are cool, but I don't really have any of the tools to make something like that right now.

That 750 american dollar vacuum cleaner thing existing makes me upset.

If you ran a record store and cleaned like, every record you bought off someone, maybe it would be a sensible investment.

beergod
Nov 1, 2004
NOBODY WANTS TO SEE PICTURES OF YOUR UGLY FUCKING KIDS YOU DIPSHIT

BigFactory posted:

It's kind of interesting. The nylon string is the part that's actually in contact with the playing surface, but most of the ones you see online just ape those expensive record cleaning machines. Like this: http://www.amazon.com/Music-Hall-WC...leaning+machine Some kind of arm with a velvet brush hooked up to a shop vac.

Here's one on audiokarma http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/showthread.php?t=387590

God loving drat that homemade one owns

strap on revenge
Apr 8, 2011

that's my thing that i say

Giga Gaia posted:

that thing is like the price of 2 records here

Damo
Nov 8, 2002

The second-generation Pontiac Sunbird, introduced by the automaker for the 1982 model year as the J2000, was built to be an inexpensive and fuel-efficient front-wheel-drive commuter car capable of seating five.

Offensive Clock
drat man, where is "out here"? You mean you can't buy any records for under 40 dollars? That sounds crazy.

strap on revenge
Apr 8, 2011

that's my thing that i say

Damo posted:

drat man, where is "out here"? You mean you can't buy any records for under 40 dollars? That sounds crazy.

Well, a new single LP is usually $25-35, double LPs are usually like $40+. I've seen some, like the regular version of PT's In Absentia, for $60 or $70. I'm from Australia. It was really cool going to the States and getting an album I couldn't find for under $45 at home for $25 after sales tax.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Australian vinyl prices suck. International shipping prices suck too but sometimes it's cheaper.

Monday_
Feb 18, 2006

Worked-up silent dork without sex ability seeks oblivion and demise.
The Great Twist
Anyone know how to add a different version to Discogs when there's only one version on the site? When there's multiple versions there's a "Your version not on Discogs? Add a release" link, but it's not there if there's just a single entry.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

MondayHotDog posted:

Anyone know how to add a different version to Discogs when there's only one version on the site? When there's multiple versions there's a "Your version not on Discogs? Add a release" link, but it's not there if there's just a single entry.

There's not an Edit Release link in the upper right?

Monday_
Feb 18, 2006

The Great Twist

BigFactory posted:

There's not an Edit Release link in the upper right?

There is, but it just lets you edit the existing release, not add a new one.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
I could be wrong, but I thought editing a release made a new entry. Or at least there was a way to do it that way.

Owsla
Aug 31, 2003

Where are my bitches?
After Edit Release you click Copy to Draft. It makes an exact copy of the existing release and you just edit whatever is needed to make the version you're adding.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
It feels pretty good to be the only person on Discogs to own a record. I'm such a dork. But it feels even better to be the second person to own a record, especially when the first uber dork is trying to sell it for some stupid amount of money. Not so rare anymore, is it!

Monday_
Feb 18, 2006

The Great Twist
Okay I obviously don't understand how the site works because when I edit a release it's adding it as a completely different record, not as a new version. I'll let someone else clean up my mess, but I'm done editing releases.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

MondayHotDog posted:

Okay I obviously don't understand how the site works because when I edit a release it's adding it as a completely different record, not as a new version. I'll let someone else clean up my mess, but I'm done editing releases.

I think that is how it works. They're all separate releases grouped under a master.

Monday_
Feb 18, 2006

The Great Twist

BigFactory posted:

I think that is how it works. They're all separate releases grouped under a master.

It's not working that way though. This is what happened:

I tried to add a 7th version of Vacation using the "add a version" link and it ended up as a different record entirely. I don't understand how merging works so I'm kinda lost.

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice

MondayHotDog posted:

It's not working that way though. This is what happened:

I tried to add a 7th version of Vacation using the "add a version" link and it ended up as a different record entirely. I don't understand how merging works so I'm kinda lost.

Click on the downward-pointing arrow next to the grouping of six, click 'Edit Master Release', check the box for the version you want to add to the group, and then click 'Save'.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Darthemed posted:

Click on the downward-pointing arrow next to the grouping of six, click 'Edit Master Release', check the box for the version you want to add to the group, and then click 'Save'.

Alternately, add it to the master by adding the number assigned to the release you created to the list in the edit menu of the master. It's a little clunky.

Monday_
Feb 18, 2006

The Great Twist
I think I got it now. Thanks guys.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I was listening to a copy of Nirvana's Bleach that I bought new several years back and it still had the price tag on it. Ten dollars. This made me realize how badly records have been price gouged in the last several years. And I got upset.

3dou
Jun 17, 2013

The best kind of sex is VHS.

CPL593H posted:

I was listening to a copy of Nirvana's Bleach that I bought new several years back and it still had the price tag on it. Ten dollars. This made me realize how badly records have been price gouged in the last several years. And I got upset.

Ordering stuff directly from the label / artist website seems to be cheap enough unless it's colored.
Colored is the real market killer, with Southern Lord making 18 different pressings of Dopesmoker at $25 each because they're all different colors.

stay depressed
Sep 30, 2003

by zen death robot
buy it from the band out of the back of their van because thats the only situation where they actually benefit from the purchase

WASDF
Jul 29, 2011

the bands only benefit if you yourself collect the random color pellets that go into making your $30 indie-music indie-label record splatters.

put both hands in
Nov 28, 2007

:swoon:FYFE:swoon:

WASDF posted:

the bands only benefit if you yourself collect the random color pellets that go into making your $30 indie-music indie-label record splatters.

Indie music: http://www.newburycomics.com/rel/v2_home.php?storenr=103&deptnr=754

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

3dou posted:

Ordering stuff directly from the label / artist website seems to be cheap enough unless it's colored.
Colored is the real market killer, with Southern Lord making 18 different pressings of Dopesmoker at $25 each because they're all different colors.

Yeah but if you want anything big name, the price is the price.

Monday_
Feb 18, 2006

The Great Twist
I went on a record buying binge and ordered three(!) records. I got the Kudrow/Hard Girls split 7 inch "Boo", Bomb the Music Industry's "To Leave Or Die On Long Island" (the last LP of theirs I didn't have), and pre-ordered Antarctigo Vespucci's "Soulmate Stuff". With "I Look Like poo poo" coming in about 2 weeks, my Jeff Rosenstock collection grows more complete.

Edit: And I'll actually be getting a turntable next month to actually listen to the 20 or so records I have.

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

I just pre-ordered the limited edition picture disc version of Death's Leprosy. I'm excited.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

MondayHotDog posted:

Edit: And I'll actually be getting a turntable next month to actually listen to the 20 or so records I have.

I bought 27 records today. You know it's a good day when you walk into goodwill and half the records in the bin are in protective sleeves. Then you get sad because someone who loved his collection either died or got divorced.

Friends Are Evil
Oct 25, 2010

cats cats cats

Had a remarkably good mail day today.

I need to get my hands on that Haxan Cloak collab. The Body's probably my favorite heavy band doing things right now.

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

when I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child - but now I am a man.

CPL593H posted:

Yeah but if you want anything big name, the price is the price.

That's the sacrifices you have to make for your love for garbage music.

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

MondayHotDog posted:

I went on a record buying binge and ordered three(!) records. I got the Kudrow/Hard Girls split 7 inch "Boo", Bomb the Music Industry's "To Leave Or Die On Long Island" (the last LP of theirs I didn't have), and pre-ordered Antarctigo Vespucci's "Soulmate Stuff". With "I Look Like poo poo" coming in about 2 weeks, my Jeff Rosenstock collection grows more complete.

Don't buy a Crosley.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

Me in Reverse posted:

Don't buy a Crosley.

Listen to this man. I bought a Crosley and it was literally incapable of playing anything resembling a vinyl record. Now I just have a $100 reminder of my poor research.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Quick reminder: Crosleys don't use magnetic pick-ups. They are literally pre-war tech.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Hey now, a Crosley can serve a purpose. Like, if you need a flat surface on which to put your real turntable. They're great for that.