Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Are you getting the Wii U?
This poll is closed.
Yes 9031 65.25%
No 1191 8.60%
Maybe 808 5.84%
I'm an idiot 460 3.32%
Waluigi 1603 11.58%
Waa 748 5.40%
Total: 13841 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
.TakaM
Oct 30, 2007

Elliotw2 posted:

They went into a lot of effort making cute animations for enemies, powerups, and scenery to bounce and dance to the BAH BAH, instead of just making good music in general.
That's something I hated since the first NSMB, it doesn't happen often but their little dance steps would cause me to miss jumps or take damage

.TakaM fucked around with this message at 01:14 on Apr 7, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

.TakaM posted:

That's something I hated since the first NSMB, it doesn't happen often but their little dance steps would cause me to miss jumps or take damage

If only there were some predictable indicator that they were coming...

Xik
Mar 10, 2011

Dinosaur Gum

SyHopeful posted:

I'm still waiting for some kind of local and online multiplayer RTS/TBS that utilizes the Gamepad as some kind of strategic or tactical planning device.

Herzog Drei, perhaps?

A turn based strategy game on the Wii U that makes use of the GamePad would own so loving much. It would sell like 100 copies or something world wide, but I would totally be one of them. It's making me excited just thinking about it.

I think the closest you can get to it at the moment is the King of the Zombies local multi player mode in ZombiU. One player plays the FPS on the main screen and the "King of the Zombies" places Zombies around the map via a top down strategic view on the GamePad.

It's heaps of fun, but I'd probably say that calling it "strategic" is a bit of a stretch. It pretty much just amounts to spamming zombies and watching the survivor die.

I tried to find a decent video on youtube that shows it off but I couldn't find one [joke about how nobody bought the game goes here]. Instead have some generic marketing image:

DrPaper
Aug 29, 2011

I know the Wars series hasn't been that popular in Japan for the past few generations but I've felt the tablet would work wonders for a new Battalion Wars.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
They just need to anime it up a little, obviously. Just make Andy a pretty-boy and Sami a (looks 17 but actually is 100 so it's totally not weird at all) school-girl, make everyone's eyes a little bigger and slap on an animated cutscene here and there, change the enemy from aliens to ancient demons, bam.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

Elliotw2 posted:

They went into a lot of effort making cute animations for enemies, powerups, and scenery to bounce and dance to the BAH BAH, instead of just making good music in general.

Which is weird because SMG, 3D Land and World have absolutely fantastic music.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter

greatn posted:

They just need to anime it up a little, obviously. Just make Andy a pretty-boy and Sami a (looks 17 but actually is 100 so it's totally not weird at all) school-girl, make everyone's eyes a little bigger and slap on an animated cutscene here and there, change the enemy from aliens to ancient demons, bam.

But they literally did that for Battalion Wars 2.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

greatn posted:

That exists and it's called Valkyria Chronicles.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

Heads up for US dudes: Target is selling the NSMBU/Luigi U hardware bundle with a $50 giftcard for $299 from April 6-12, and at the same time they're doing a buy 2 get 1 free on all games.

Live now, for those who care.

DrPaper
Aug 29, 2011

Amppelix posted:

That exists and it's called Valkyria Chronicles.

Valkyria Chronicles is way better than the Wars series.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

DrPaper posted:

Valkyria Chronicles is way better than the Wars series.

Heresy.

Wars at least rewarded being tactical, Valkyria gated upgrades behind stage ranks and all it cared about was time completion, so rushing through everything with Alicia became the most optimum strat and it sucked.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
They aren't even making regular Wars games anymore, the odds of a new BW game are pretty drat low.

The Battalion Wars team makes Art Academy these days, anyway.

Chaltab
Feb 16, 2011

So shocked someone got me an avatar!

They aren't even making regular Wars games anymore, the odds of a new BW game are pretty drat low.
Honestly, give it to the Intelligent Systems team that made Fire Emblem: Awakening. If they can turn a 'this series is doomed unless this game does well' into 'biggest success in the series history' then they should get a chance at Advance Wars as well.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Chaltab posted:

Honestly, give it to the Intelligent Systems team that made Fire Emblem: Awakening. If they can turn a 'this series is doomed unless this game does well' into 'biggest success in the series history' then they should get a chance at Advance Wars as well.
Did Days of Ruin sell really lovely? I know it did the whole "darker and grittier" thing (which isn't terrible in this case since the series took war unnervingly lightly) but it also did away with a lot of the power creep and had potential if fleshed out some more.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Rorus Raz posted:

Did Days of Ruin sell really lovely? I know it did the whole "darker and grittier" thing (which isn't terrible in this case since the series took war unnervingly lightly) but it also did away with a lot of the power creep and had potential if fleshed out some more.

It sold in line with the previous entries, but it didn't bring in a new audience like they'd intended, so it got put on ice alongside all the other b-tier franchises that Nintendo doesn't know what to do with.

The trouble with "rebooting" AW is that they pretty much nailed the formula from the very beginning, so it's hard to add meaningful new features that aren't gimmicky or superfluous. A game like Fire Emblem has lots of different elements that appeal to different people - the core strategy layer, the RPG/min-max layer, the character/relationship layer - so there's more latitude to experiment with or change certain aspects of the game, but AW is such a focused, game-y game that there's not a whole lot you can do to dress it up without fundamentally changing it in some (probably bad) way.

DrPaper
Aug 29, 2011

It sold in line with the previous entries, but it didn't bring in a new audience like they'd intended, so it got put on ice alongside all the other b-tier franchises that Nintendo doesn't know what to do with.

The trouble with "rebooting" AW is that they pretty much nailed the formula from the very beginning, so it's hard to add meaningful new features that aren't gimmicky or superfluous. A game like Fire Emblem has lots of different elements that appeal to different people - the core strategy layer, the RPG/min-max layer, the character/relationship layer - so there's more latitude to experiment with or change certain aspects of the game, but AW is such a focused, game-y game that there's not a whole lot you can do to dress it up without fundamentally changing it in some (probably bad) way.

Add dating sim elements to your COs like Fire Emblem

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

Trent posted:

If only there were some predictable indicator that they were coming...

Good thing they're not on handhelds, where you might not always be able to listen to the game.

PrBacterio
Jul 19, 2000

.TakaM posted:

But ... but ... that's my favourite thing about the NSMB series. Why do you hate fun :(

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012
The little dance is nice but the "Wah"'s are still godawful past the 1st DS one

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
I don't remember there being that many in NSMBWiiU.

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

I think the New Super Mario Bros theme is okay, but they shouldn't reuse it in every game. The only track that deserves that treatment is the underground theme.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

The other problem with Advance Wars is that the last DS entry didn't even get released in Japan until last fall as a Club Nintendo award or something like that.

I could see Nintendo doing another 3DS entry for AW (between Days of Ruin finally getting released in Japan and AW being a VC title, I wouldn't be surprised if something was announced at E3) but I doubt a Battalion Wars sequel will ever happen. As fun as both of those entries were, the sales here and in Japan were lukewarm at best.

DrPaper posted:

Add dating sim elements to your COs like Fire Emblem

As much as I hate that idea, I'd be fine with them doing something like so the game is appealing to anime nerds so long as they left skirmish/war room mode alone.

Handsome Ralph fucked around with this message at 14:50 on Apr 7, 2014

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

That loving Sned posted:

Good thing they're not on handhelds, where you might not always be able to listen to the game.

Too bad none of Nintendo's handhelds ever had a headphone jack.

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

YourAverageJoe posted:

Too bad none of Nintendo's handhelds ever had a headphone jack.

Technically the GBA SP didn't have one, it required an adapter.

Also, I couldn't always be bothered to bring earphones or untangle them unless it's a decently long journey.

Hamsterlady
Jul 8, 2010

Corpse Party, bitches.
Nintendo often seems to completely fail to realize people may not be playing their DS exclusively on their couch. Like that part in Phantom Hourglass where they tell you to scream into the microphone as loudly as you can. Yeah, I don't see any problem with doing that on the bus, Nintendo.

whaley
Aug 13, 2000

MY DOODOO IS SPRAYING OUT
I just blew on the thing or rubbed my finger on the microphone. Nobody makin me scream at that machine

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth

DarkHamsterlord posted:

Nintendo often seems to completely fail to realize people may not be playing their DS exclusively on their couch. Like that part in Phantom Hourglass where they tell you to scream into the microphone as loudly as you can. Yeah, I don't see any problem with doing that on the bus, Nintendo.

I think X/Y Feel The Magic had minigames where you had to yell, I remember just putting my headphone on the mic and turning it all the way up.

Besides, the only time you need to yell is "Objection!" It doesn't feel right otherwise.

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar

Cloks posted:

I think X/Y Feel The Magic had minigames where you had to yell, I remember just putting my headphone on the mic and turning it all the way up.

I remember when that first came out people around here complained about having to yell while in public.

Hamsterlady
Jul 8, 2010

Corpse Party, bitches.
There are plenty of ways to circumvent shouting into the microphone, but it just seems silly to tell someone to shout at their game console that they're likely to be playing in a public place. Like they expect you to only play handheld games on your couch at home.

Dunban
Jul 4, 2012

OH MY GOD GLOVER
As goofy as it was, yelling Objection! at the end of every Ace Attorney game was awesome.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
I think Ace Attorney was also smart enough to make it so you could just press a button to do that if you were in a situation where yelling "Objection" would be awkward.

Astro Nut
Feb 22, 2013

Nonsensical Space Powers, Activate! Form of Friendship!

axleblaze posted:

I think Ace Attorney was also smart enough to make it so you could just press a button to do that if you were in a situation where yelling "Objection" would be awkward.

It does normally, but typically at the end of the game there's one where you have to say it, as an anime style 'lets go out on the catchphrase!' deal.

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I think there are a bunch of people who can create trailing images. I know some who could do this as if they were just going out for a stroll.
Nah you can just press A on those too, it just looks like you can't.

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

DarkHamsterlord posted:

There are plenty of ways to circumvent shouting into the microphone, but it just seems silly to tell someone to shout at their game console that they're likely to be playing in a public place. Like they expect you to only play handheld games on your couch at home.

Blowing into the mic usually worked fine for when they wanted you to make a loud noise, but that still looks kinda weird.

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

Is it frustrating to anyone else that Club Nintendo only puts up the new freebie games a few days after they say they will? I've been refreshing all day to see what's new.

I mean, yeah, I know that 90% of the time they put up garbage, but hope springs eternal...

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

Not a Children posted:

Is it frustrating to anyone else that Club Nintendo only puts up the new freebie games a few days after they say they will? I've been refreshing all day to see what's new.

I mean, yeah, I know that 90% of the time they put up garbage, but hope springs eternal...

The new games are up. They are Super Mario World for the Wii U, Art Academy First Semester 3ds, trajectile 3ds, and Mario Golf for the wii. All of them except Mario Golf for the Wii are 200 coins. Mario Golf is 250.

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

Spacebump posted:

The new games are up. They are Super Mario World for the Wii U, Art Academy First Semester 3ds, trajectile 3ds, and Mario Golf for the wii. All of them except Mario Golf for the Wii are 200 coins. Mario Golf is 250.

Whoops. Forgot to clear my cache. Welp, I'm dumb. :suicide:

Xik
Mar 10, 2011

Dinosaur Gum

Not a Children posted:

Whoops. Forgot to clear my cache. Welp, I'm dumb. :suicide:

In most browsers you can press Control + F5 to ignore what is in the cache and fetch the page again. Just in case you were wiping the entire browser cache and didn't really want to do that.

Chaltab
Feb 16, 2011

So shocked someone got me an avatar!
I just got my first 'Hardcore' Wii U game!..

Super Mario World

For Club Nintendo points.

I'd like Off TV play a lot better if the gamepad's range reached my bedroom.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

davey4283
Aug 14, 2006
Fallen Rib
Whats convenient is being able to just grab the console and power cable and hook it up temporarily in the bedroom.

Get your game on in bed without needing a TV.

• Locked thread