Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SnakemanMn
Apr 1, 2013

"What is green, slimy, and smells like bacon?"

Jamesman posted:

I'm going as long as my interest holds out, which means until I say "OK I don't care anymore." or something along those lines. A week, maybe?
I'm amazed you manage to make it as long as you did. I would've closed the video and moved on at the "spending god drat FOREVER making a Dragon Age character" bit.

RSCNyx posted:

Yet, blind LPs with one person, who has no idea what they're doing, and eventually accepts advice from random strangers on the internet (Which, I feel, defeats the "blind" part of the LP). I just feel that solo-Blind LPs are hard to pull off, and are often better done with someone else involved.
It's almost impossible to do a blind solo LP in a manner that is considered well-done, without at least doing a fair bit of research beforehand on whatever game you're playing so you don't get tripped up by any of the game's nuances (e.g. Sonic 3 Carnival Night Zone's "Barrel of Doom")

Plus there are also other game genres, like puzzle games, that are practically impossible to solo well unless the player is a god drat genius, and there's a big lack of those types of people on the internet, especially Youtube. For those kinds of games, another commentator with knowledge on the game is essential.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer

raocow posted:

Wait, the barrier of entry is only 10k subscribers?
Oh my god.

Well, now you know what you have to do if you ever visit LA or New York!

Seshoho Cian
Jul 26, 2010

unfair posted:

Well, Adsense ads will get you views, since that's what you're paying for - but only a tiny percentage of those will convert to subscribers. Monetarily it doesn't make any sense except if you have less than 500 subs and just want to get over the hump. Even then though, it would be pretty bad unless you took advantage of the yearly "Spend $25, get $100 free ads" that they offer.

Under optimal conditions that might net you max 125 new subscribers for your $25, which even if you're running ads is going to take you ~8000 views to earn back - meaning each of those 125 people would have to watch 64 videos before you broke even.

The reason I mentioned 500 subs is that YouTube seems to give more search traffic to channels when they get over 500/1000 subs, so buying your way over those thresholds might give natural growth more quickly.

Sorry, I just find the YouTube meta-game fascinating, but most people here probably don't care.

This is from a few pages back, but I meant to respond to this and subsequently forgot to. But hey, Youtube meta-game discussion.

The channel me and my friends run at this time of writing has 760 subscribers. We've been at that number for quite a while now. I actually think we were at 762 up until a month ago but I can't quite remember. (Also I guess this whole post is off-topic because we're a machinima channel, not a Let's Play one. But whatever.)

The only reason we have that many subscribers in the first place is that one of our videos went viral.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3bP8_Dmfbe0
This one, to be exact. It got passed around on different sites, I think IGN and Kotaku featured it. We have almost a million views on that video, and really nothing on everything else. A few of our other videos immediately before and after that one have decent view counts as well, as a result of a "splashback" type of effect from the Battlefield video, but it tapers off pretty quickly.

On average, when we put up a video now we'll get less than 100 views. I tend to share some of our stuff on some forums which tends to push the views up to at least around 200 views. And this really bums me out, not because I want to be a ~YOUTUBE SUPERSTAR~ or anything, just that I like knowing that our dumb videos are making people laugh and I enjoy getting to discuss the content with the people who watch our videos. Of the 760 people subscribed to our channel, it really seems that only around 80 of them actually care about the stuff we put out. I didn't know about the 500 subs thing at all, and I'm pretty sure it didn't help out much in my particular case.

unfair
Oct 6, 2012

Seshoho Cian posted:

On average, when we put up a video now we'll get less than 100 views. I tend to share some of our stuff on some forums which tends to push the views up to at least around 200 views. And this really bums me out, not because I want to be a ~YOUTUBE SUPERSTAR~ or anything, just that I like knowing that our dumb videos are making people laugh and I enjoy getting to discuss the content with the people who watch our videos. Of the 760 people subscribed to our channel, it really seems that only around 80 of them actually care about the stuff we put out. I didn't know about the 500 subs thing at all, and I'm pretty sure it didn't help out much in my particular case.

That's normal. You can expect 10-20% of viewers will watch all new content (this is standard across any channel size), the rest has to come from word of mouth or - more likely - search traffic. The higher sub count helps out mostly in terms of related videos and search traffic, so you have to make sure it's tagged and titled properly to take advantage of it.

Video titles have a huge impact on search rankings, as do video descriptions now. Tags seem somewhat less important than before, but are still useful for getting matched to search results of exact phrases.

Seshoho Cian
Jul 26, 2010

unfair posted:

That's normal. You can expect 10-20% of viewers will watch all new content (this is standard across any channel size),

I know that's the norm, but it doesn't make me feel any less disheartened about the whole thing.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe
DSP Experiment: Day Three, Part Two, and Days Four, Five, and Six

Phil's glaring technical issues aside, I've been finding his Dragon Age playthrough inoffensive enough that I've been able to sit through 19 videos, and counting. If you consider everything "not bad" that has happened in this playthrough thus far to be "good," then there has been a lot of good. I can have a positive outlook on things and say things have been good. Good enough that I have kept watching. There just hasn't been anything great.

And then there's the things that are not good that leave the most impact. The burps and the constant clearing of his throat, I just find really bad form and unprofessional. Out of all the people I've watched that do gaming videos, he's the only one who I can say makes bodily functions into a signature. With the exception of Ren & Stimpy, this is not OK. This is something a person - especially someone who is using their voice for their career - should be actively aware of and dealing with.

Phil also struggles with observational and logic skills. We all have those "brain fart" moments where we don't make connections between things, or we overlook something, or misread something. Phil does these enough where they start to add up. Again, like with the burping and stuff, it's about presentation. I'm not faulting someone for being a bad gamer or making mistakes, but when you make a lot of mistakes and you're presenting yourself as a professional, you should be actively aware of it and dealing with it.

I've also come up to a "blame the game" moment in the playthrough; Phil returns from the wilds, and was supposed to turn in an item for a side quest. He dd not and proceeded with the main plot, missing the window. I'm not sure what brought his attention back to the side quest, but when he discovered the quest was failed, he blamed the game for forcing him into a cutscene instead of letting him turn in the quest at his convenience, then had words with the stream chat when they apparently commented on it.

When you pair the above two paragraphs together, maybe I can understand Phil's defensive stance and lack of humility in such circumstances. That doesn't mean I enjoy his displacement of blame. It just means I can maybe see what causes it.

I'm almost 1/11th of the way through the Dragon Age playlist. I wonder if I might actually end up watching the whole thing.

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

I fought the lava, and the lava won.

Jamesman posted:

I've also come up to a "blame the game" moment in the playthrough; Phil returns from the wilds, and was supposed to turn in an item for a side quest. He dd not and proceeded with the main plot, missing the window. I'm not sure what brought his attention back to the side quest, but when he discovered the quest was failed, he blamed the game for forcing him into a cutscene instead of letting him turn in the quest at his convenience, then had words with the stream chat when they apparently commented on it.

I have to say that, just judging from the admittedly biased failure compilations, Phil seems to almost actively avoid paying attention to tutorials - the unintrusive ones completely escape his notice, and I get the impression that he goes out of his way to ignore the ones that interrupt his gameplay experience by getting in his face. There are plenty of instances of him complaining that the game didn't tell him what he was supposed to do, whether it did or the point was to figure out what he needed to do on his own, and it leads me to wonder just what kind of tutorial he's actually looking for. He also seems to love calling his chat stupid when they tell him what he's supposed to do and he doesn't get it right - no apologies when he realizes they were right, if he's even aware enough to realize that after the fact. Again, that's a biased subset of his videos, but the fact that there are any instances of it at all, let alone enough for it to be a common theme, is a sign of Phil not being very good at what he's trying to do.

The worst part is that I could understand if he were doing this as a persona, and it might even be amusing if done well, but it's pretty clear that he's honestly trying to play the games well and understand them. He's just not trying in any way the creators intended or predicted.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Jamesman posted:

I'm almost 1/11th of the way through the Dragon Age playlist. I wonder if I might actually end up watching the whole thing.
His Dragon Age playthrough has over 200 videos? Are they 5 minutes long or something?

Highwang
Nov 7, 2013

No Pineapple?
No Thank You!

Nihilarian posted:

His Dragon Age playthrough has over 200 videos? Are they 5 minutes long or something?

From what I remember playing that game, its an absolute slog that just drags on in some instances. Coupled with his weird choice in video times, it adds up and you wind up with 50+ hours spread across 200 videos.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Highwang posted:

From what I remember playing that game, its an absolute slog that just drags on in some instances. Coupled with his weird choice in video times, it adds up and you wind up with 50+ hours spread across 200 videos.

Gotta make ad revenue somehow.

slowbeef
Mar 15, 2005

Will Harvey hates you, and everything you stand for.
Pillbug

Jamesman posted:

DSP Experiment: Day Three, Part Two, and Days Four, Five, and Six

Phil's glaring technical issues aside, I've been finding his Dragon Age playthrough inoffensive enough that I've been able to sit through 19 videos, and counting. If you consider everything "not bad" that has happened in this playthrough thus far to be "good," then there has been a lot of good. I can have a positive outlook on things and say things have been good. Good enough that I have kept watching. There just hasn't been anything great.

I'm not really sure what you mean here.

- Is it enjoyable, and you'd recommend it? or
- Is it enjoyable enough that "you could do worse" for a Dragon Age LP? or
- Is it decent?

I guess trying to take apart what I quoted, I can't tell if you're saying "this is better than I thought it'd be, and I can watch it" or "it's not very good, but it's tolerable" or it's average, or what. I don't think you mean it's good?

Dr. Buttass
Aug 12, 2013

AWFUL SOMETHING
I think he's saying that the Dragon Age videos are the closest thing Phil has to "good" videos, but you probably still shouldn't use them to counterpoint the "DSP Is Bad At Games" videos. Like in any objective description of Phil and his style it's just going to be a damned by faint praise kind of thing, because there are a lot of negative things you can say about him, but the only positive you can really come up with is "his Dragon Age videos are kind of inoffensive."

Dr. Buttass fucked around with this message at 03:56 on Apr 7, 2014

Roar
Jul 7, 2007

I got 30 points!

I GOT 30 POINTS!
Basically Jamesman is trying really hard to be objective about him for the sake of the experiment but there's not much blood getting squeezed from the rock.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe

Nihilarian posted:

It's 220 videos. They tend to be at least 10 minutes long, but I have yet to understand how he chooses where to cut between videos. Almost every cut is arbitrary, which no rhyme or reason behind it.

slowbeef posted:

I'm not really sure what you mean here.

Roar posted:

Basically Jamesman is trying really hard to be objective about him for the sake of the experiment but there's not much blood getting squeezed from the rock.

Essentially what Roar said.

This experiment isn't about focusing on the negative, so I'm trying to point out that there's not-bad-stuff in Phil's videos. If the opposite of "bad" is "good," then one might say that Phil's videos have their fair share of good in them.

Phil belching into the mic is bad, but how about all the times he's NOT belching into the mic?

I'm really trying here.

SnakemanMn
Apr 1, 2013

Jamesman posted:

Phil belching into the mic is bad, but how about all the times he's NOT belching into the mic?

I'm really trying here.
So basically the conclusion we're approaching at the moment is "The only time Phil produces tolerable content is when he's not producing bad content" which limits him to "neutral-downright awful" in the quality spectrum.

Well, it's certainly a more forgiving viewpoint than the most common "Phil needs to stop making videos because they are horrible, start to finish, forever and always" view, at least.

dijon du jour
Mar 27, 2013

I'm shy

Jamesman posted:

This experiment isn't about focusing on the negative, so I'm trying to point out that there's not-bad-stuff in Phil's videos. If the opposite of "bad" is "good," then one might say that Phil's videos have their fair share of good in them.

I'm really trying here.

"I haven't yet made use of my cyanide pills so overall I give Phil a "recommend"".

Attestant
Oct 23, 2012

Don't judge me.
I'm a bit curious how people here feel about this question:

Would you either watch over 200 videos worth of DSP, or or 200 videos by PewDiePie? Which one do you think would be worse?

A Bystander
Oct 10, 2012

Attestant posted:

I'm a bit curious how people here feel about this question:

Would you either watch over 200 videos worth of DSP, or or 200 videos by PewDiePie? Which one do you think would be worse?

Both because I enjoy bad videos as much as good ones, though I'd probably prefer Phil slightly more if only for the marginally better gameplay and honesty he has, for whatever that honesty is worth (almost nothing).

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Don't ask me about Sonic the Hedgehog diaper fetish
DSP definitely, he can be amusing in his incompetence. I can barely tolerate the Adults react to Pewdiepie video.

Kay Kessler
May 9, 2013

I've got a feeling his DA:O videos' quality will take a nosedive once he enters the Fade. That level's bullshit even if you're not hideously incompetent.

Dr. Buttass
Aug 12, 2013

AWFUL SOMETHING

Jamesman posted:

I'm really trying here.

Comes a time you're better off giving up. Phil at his best still isn't any good. I don't think continuing the experiment beyond this point will really bring any new information to light.

A Bystander posted:

Both because I enjoy bad videos as much as good ones, though I'd probably prefer Phil slightly more if only for the marginally better gameplay and honesty he has, for whatever that honesty is worth (almost nothing).

Pewdiepie is worse, without question. Phil, for his faults, at least wants to be a good LPer; he just has no idea how one does that. PDP aggressively makes an effort to be as awful as humanly possible and then some, because that's what the lovely excuses for human filth he calls his fans like.

frozentreasure
Nov 13, 2012

~

Jamesman posted:

I'm really trying here.

Well let me ask this: if you had to click one button or the other at the end of every video, would it be "Like", or "Dislike"?

SpiritualDeath
Jul 2, 2009

shaping your brain like pottery

Dr. Buttass posted:

PDP aggressively makes an effort to be as awful as humanly possible and then some, because that's what the lovely excuses for human filth he calls his fans like.
Dang. If you replaced "PDP" with "he" and this was taken out of context I'd think you were talking about Boyd Rice or someone like that.

unfair
Oct 6, 2012
The only time I've seen PewDiePie is on the Polaris main channel - he's done some videos gaming with other people and seemed pretty competent. Is he really not on his own channel? I ask because it feels like a lot of what people say about him is secondhand.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

unfair posted:

The only time I've seen PewDiePie is on the Polaris main channel - he's done some videos gaming with other people and seemed pretty competent. Is he really not on his own channel? I ask because it feels like a lot of what people say about him is secondhand.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FFbVKL-Meo0

Attestant
Oct 23, 2012

Don't judge me.

unfair posted:

https://www.youtube.com/user/PewDiePie

His channel is the single biggest channel on Youtube. It beats even the official youtube channels.

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

I fought the lava, and the lava won.
I don't know whether the videos I watched were really old or fairly recent, but I feel like I have to speak up in defense of PDP about the same way that Jamesman is about DSP... in other words, looking past the awful to find the things worth watching. I had a go at watching some PDP videos when I was sick and more interested in the games than what was surrounding them in the videos, and he seemed to do a really good job of his editing and selection of which clips to keep, aside from the dubious but already-lamented decision to zoom in on his own face for reaction shots. Like Phil, it's possible to get a very biased picture of what he does by excerpting just the worst parts, and those are obviously still going to be present, but I don't recall any of his infamous rape jokes during the playthroughs I watched. My understanding is that he's mostly dropped those since the Adults React thing, although people who have actually been monitoring his work might tell you differently. Also, I have to trust his subtitling as to the content of his swearing in Swedish, but from what I understand of language in general, it sounds right. Still, I'm pretty sure PDP doesn't make a habit of blaming the games for things that are clearly his own fault, nor is he specifically abusive to his fans - he genuinely loves his fans, which is a nice if awkwardly implemented gesture. If you can overlook his habit of putting the emphasis on his facecam (which I admit is more intrusive than Phil's, but free of actual bodily functions at least), there's some entertainment value to be had. He's not the number one channel on Youtube solely for crude humor and mugging, after all. I wouldn't choose him over any arbitrary LPer, but I'd probably choose him over DSP.

The playthroughs I watched, for reference: Most of Dark Souls and the Impossible Quiz games.

RSCNyx
Mar 6, 2013

It's okay, little guy. I would be scared too.
They both scream and say stupid things, although for different reasons.

PDP screams and shouts just because that's his gimmick. It's wacky and random to freak out over things that are really...not that big of a deal. DSP screams and shouts because he's that easily frustrated and thinks he's perfect at everything with a crazy inflated ego.

Out of the two, I'd choose PDP, just because I wouldn't have to spend literally hours listening to him whine about how he can't beat a boss, like in Megaman X3.

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

One minor positive is that PDP does know how to turn off his shtick on occasion while on another persons channel where it wouldn't fit.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------
Despair will never let you down.
Malice will never disappoint you.

PDP or DSP? Well, I lost a bet once, and because of that, I had to watch two hours of PDP videos. After I was done, I felt like shooting myself, or at the very least just falling into my bed and having a good cry. That poo poo was painful, and even more so painful because it was competent. It could have been great if not for the schtick he's got. DSP on the other hand is terrible, but incompetent, so there's the mesmerizing factor (the "how the gently caress did he gently caress that up" factor) that makes it more tolerable to watch. It's like a train wreck.

Roar
Jul 7, 2007

I got 30 points!

I GOT 30 POINTS!
I've mentioned it before but I vastly prefer PDP to DSP.

PDP is like a hyperactive child. You can really feel the passion in his videos, even if the implementation is awful and grating.

DSP is like an adult neckbeard. Altogether seeming more 'adult', but that's not a compliment - it's like he knows the proper way to act in videos but chooses to ignore that and blames the developers and games for his own inadequacies. Plus, berating your own fans is one of the most lovely things you can do as an entertainer.

unfair
Oct 6, 2012

Linking what is essentially a "worst of" compilation video from a couple years is exactly what I'm talking about. I suspect a lot of people here cite that video as proof of how terrible PewDiePie is at games without any actual first-hand knowledge. So I was asking people who actually have watched first-hand if he's truly bad at games, because he seemed competent in Polaris group content.

I'm not asking about the quality of commentary or anything, just proposing that perhaps DSP fails at gaming in basic ways that PDP does not. More a question of intelligence than persona, if you will.

ApeHawk
Jun 6, 2010

All the NPCs will look up and shout, "Do this quest!"
and I'll whisper, "Sure, why not."
Can I just take the third option and continue to believe neither of them exist?

Idran
Jan 13, 2005
Grimey Drawer

unfair posted:

Linking what is essentially a "worst of" compilation video from a couple years is exactly what I'm talking about. I suspect a lot of people here cite that video as proof of how terrible PewDiePie is at games without any actual first-hand knowledge. So I was asking people who actually have watched first-hand if he's truly bad at games, because he seemed competent in Polaris group content.

I'm not asking about the quality of commentary or anything, just proposing that perhaps DSP fails at gaming in basic ways that PDP does not. More a question of intelligence than persona, if you will.

Honestly I've never heard anything about how good or bad PewdiePie is at games; that's not what any of the criticism I remember hearing about him is directed at, that's more DSP's problem. All the criticism I've heard about PewdiePie is that he's horrible at commentary; that at his best his attempts at humor are still unfunny and at his worst he's disgusting.

Even the Adults React video doesn't say anything about his skill at the games themselves, it's all about his commentary and how awful it is.

SnakemanMn
Apr 1, 2013

ApeHawk posted:

Can I just take the third option and continue to believe neither of them exist?
That'd be possible if Youtube's "hey pal, come click more ads for us please?" recommendations fling PDP videos at me all the god drat time because I watch actually good LPs, and Youtube's accurate-for-a-change recommendations fling This Is How You Don't Play videos at me a lot as well because I actually do enjoy those quite a bit.

Roar
Jul 7, 2007

I got 30 points!

I GOT 30 POINTS!
"Hey bro, we heard you watched Chip Cheezum. Wanna watch somethin' really good? :allears:"

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
Speaking of This Is How You Don't Play, has someone made one of those for Lightning Returns yet? It sounds like it has much potential for amusement, considering how he actually gave up and ragequit at the final boss...

Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

I'm not really sure LR is something that's fast paced enough. There are 133 videos and it's basically all just JRPG stuff, which isn't necessarily quite so obvious and funny in failing as spending half an hour trying to stack barrels because you didn't read the jumping tutorials. Also, you'd have to watch loving 25 hours or something of him to pick the good bits, rather than maybe 5-10.

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

Fedule posted:

Speaking of This Is How You Don't Play, has someone made one of those for Lightning Returns yet? It sounds like it has much potential for amusement, considering how he actually gave up and ragequit at the final boss...

It takes some of the guys months to cull Phil's Greatest Hits from each million part long LP he does. Unless it's fighting games, people just go in, grab a match Phil lost and put text like "I could hear you jabbing sticks every which way, you weren't blocking" over the screen when Phil yells "THAT'S BULLSHIT, ONLINE FIGHTING SUCKS!" for the 100th time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cangelosi
Nov 17, 2004

"It's cute," he said to himself warily, "but it's not normal."

unfair posted:

So I was asking people who actually have watched first-hand if he's truly bad at games, because he seemed competent in Polaris group content.

No no no no no no no no NO...you are missing the point. The beef with PDP is not his game-playing ability, it is his Tourette's-like loud profanity-laden commentary that makes you question our diplomatic ties with Scandinavia. I'm sure he could kick my rear end in Team Fortress 2 (actually, plenty of people can do that), but it is not his ability people despise, it is his scattershot approach to acceptable gaming commentary. It's like those makeup commercials where the model says "don't hate me because I'm beautiful" and stuff. No, it's not the beauty in question, you tart, it's your arrogance. Apples. Oranges. That something.

Now with DSP, he essentially combines sub-par gaming with unbearably whiny commentary. Barely any redemptive qualities there, but that's Jamesman's bag now. I just hope he remembers what Kazuma Kiryu would do.

• Locked thread