Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
JamieTheD
Nov 4, 2011

LPer, Reviewer, Mad Welshman

(Yes, that's a self portrait)
That was definitely an entertaining game, but I think the level design hurt it for the two "battle" modes at times. Otherwise, it's definitely entertaining. I will be getting this when I can to play it for myself. :)

Anyways, looking forward to some hot 1080 action!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Daigerus
Nov 5, 2009

Tombot posted:

Maybe if they ported it to the playstation2 or Xbox more people would have been aware of its existance and played it. It looks like a decent game for its flaws but I think a more Tony-Halk-like aproach instead may have carried it further if they could have pulled it off.

Gotta second this. Sure, the game seemed to do a fine job encouraging the player to explore the levels more via chaining off appeals for score and looking for certain types of appeals in that Simon-Says mode, but a lot more could have been done in creative ways and certain mechanics like swinging on poles just didn't have a lot of opportunities to be utilized. And I wouldn't have minded other gimmicks thrown in like "boss" battles to mix things up, but maybe that's just me. I do like how there's replayability by unlocking and buying new items for customization, at least.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Battle and maybe Race would have benefited from custom arenas.

It sold the crazy nature of the world through level design and the tons of morphs, but the writing itself was just... way way too bland.

Insetik
Mar 30, 2010

MERRY GLIZZMAS

Glazius posted:

Battle and maybe Race would have benefited from custom arenas.

It sold the crazy nature of the world through level design and the tons of morphs, but the writing itself was just... way way too bland.

Custom arenas? Do you mean having different arenas for those events, or the ability to make your own arenas? Either way, it seems like the mechanics are the thing that's more in the wrong here. I actually think the way they handled racing events was a fair approach. If they made it more like Simon Says and required you to activate certain ones, it would play out almost the same way with the same problems if you didn't have the level exactly down. The random reward might seem annoying if it hurts you, but the ability to eventually get all the medals and (usually) keep putting the hurt on your opponent if you get creative is the best way they could have done it.

Battle just sucks, though. Axe it, and get something else.

And now it's almost time to wrap this game up. A month-long exploration into a handful of characters and crazy situations. You've seen quite a bit of Sally, but each character is set apart by their own unique animations and signature moves. None of them are just re-skinned versions of anyone else. And in this bonus video, I'll show the rest of them off and a quick bit of gameplay with each one.

Go! Go! Hypergrind Bonus: Other Characters & Unlockables

Text Link

Daigerus posted:

Gotta second this. Sure, the game seemed to do a fine job encouraging the player to explore the levels more via chaining off appeals for score and looking for certain types of appeals in that Simon-Says mode, but a lot more could have been done in creative ways and certain mechanics like swinging on poles just didn't have a lot of opportunities to be utilized. And I wouldn't have minded other gimmicks thrown in like "boss" battles to mix things up, but maybe that's just me. I do like how there's replayability by unlocking and buying new items for customization, at least.

I just talked about character animations, but Atlus should have done more with implementing changes to the physical model of the characters. Special tricks will not work if you aren't in the default state, and the gear you buy does not show up or have any physical effect of the character. I bought a barrel, dammit, I want Sally to ride around in it!

Insetik fucked around with this message at 02:08 on Mar 28, 2014

Insetik
Mar 30, 2010

MERRY GLIZZMAS
Of course, one last little bit before this game is done for good. It will be very easy to find the original videos for this, but I trust that you guys won't spam the original uploaders. Click on either of the two images below to be transported to a magical land of filmed TVs and stomach-based microphones. This is a special two for one - well, one full vid and the first minute of another vid. That first minute is all you'll need to see hear.

Go! Go! Hypergrind Bonus: retsupurae

Text Link

JamieTheD
Nov 4, 2011

LPer, Reviewer, Mad Welshman

(Yes, that's a self portrait)
Okay, so the first one... It's adorable sometimes when the young 'uns pick up a game, totally fail at it, and decide to upload it to the internet. So long as their audio's bearable, it's like the kitten pictures of Let's Play. But even listening to the source vid on the second part... I couldn't understand a single loving word.

Still, good to see the extra characters' moves shown off, it's obvious they put their effort in there, and sad to see that Battle kinda burnt you out on that one. Seems a fun game, otherwise!

blanktester
Aug 28, 2012

Also I saw my hand on blood lying on the ground, and I saw someone with device's like pile bunker and grind with evil smile

JamieTheD posted:

So long as their audio's bearable, it's like the kitten pictures of Let's Play.

I was going to go on a huge tirade about how xoxMoxxixox should have just given up because I am (was) a cold, cruel bastard but that sentence alone warmed my heart. GO GO HWYPUHGWINE!

Btw, since it's MY 360 (:colbert:), I will look into getting a Kinect. I may have a friend who will let me borrow theirs. No promises, but if that becomes a thing, are there any other games to look out for? Keep in mind that it's also down to the discretion of Insetik on which games (if any) to do from the 360/Kinect days, but if anyone has other suggestions feel free to state them. :)

Insetik
Mar 30, 2010

MERRY GLIZZMAS
Well, guys, the Gamecube stopped working. Aaaaaaaaand I kind of lost what footage I had for what game I was going to play. So I sort of had to scramble a bit, but I think you'll still enjoy the next game. Hopefully.

5 Hours of Brain Training - Let's Play Carol Vorderman's Sudoku

What is this game?
Carol Vorderman's Sudoku is a game based around the popular puzzle. It is a pretty simple game at its basics - here, the challenge of Sudoku is brought to your screen in video game form. Carol Vorderman herself appears to provide helpful tutorial videos to help you amp up your Sudoku...uhh...skills.

On a scale of 1 to 10, how would you rate this?
I should tell you now that I'm not really good at puzzles - Sudoku included. I probably had a harder time solving some than other people might have. I'm trying not to let that influence my score, so here: it's an interesting game with quite a few options, and several multiplayer modes that put you against your friend for a challenge that may or may not involve pass-and-play.

For this first video, I decided to try to do live comm again, like we did for Hill Bike Boredom. Future videos will definitely be post-comm, since I'll need to edit the videos way down if I want to actually complete a board in one video.

Carol Vorderman's Sudoku Part 1

Text Link

Insetik fucked around with this message at 18:25 on Apr 1, 2014

Insetik
Mar 30, 2010

MERRY GLIZZMAS
Alright, it's time to move on for real now. Next up in the Gamecube block:

Free game with purchase of soundtrack: Let's Play 1080 Avalanche

What is this game?
1080 Avalanche is a snowboarding game released for the Gamecube by Nintendo Software Technology. It is the sequel to 1080 Snowboarding for the N64, which seems to be much more renowned and remembered than its sequel. In this game, players unlock new levels by competing in various difficulties of 'challenges', which are basically rounds of new races in a row. Otherwise, there are time trial races, one or two trick-based events, and a standard multiplayer.

What do you think about the game?
1080 Avalanche has basically all the mechanics of a snowboarding game in a really... basic form. You have a couple characters to choose from, who are all better in one certain stat than the others, the races are short with a few shortcuts, the tricks are fairly run-of-the-mill, and there isn't much interaction with the AI. Compared to games like the old SSX series, this game isn't very deep when it comes to what content it has.

However, the graphics are very nice and the soundtrack is actually quite good. It's huge for a Gamecube game - one song for every event plus a bunch more, totaling up to almost 40 songs. Along with regular bands like Finger Eleven and boysetsfire (who are great and you guys should listen to them), there are a few in-house bands that provide music solely found on the game's soundtrack. The balance here is a nice mix of rock and more-chill alternative. But, because of how the game play plays out, and because of how short the game is, I'll have to give it a 6 or 7. You know, like I do every time. But this time, it really is a game that's fun, but basic - better than middle of the road, but not by much.

Across the four or maybe five videos this game will have, I've been lucky enough to get several new commentators that are first appearing in these videos. In this one, give it up for DrasticActions.

1080 Avalanche Set 1: Novice Challenge

Text Link

Insetik fucked around with this message at 00:13 on Apr 3, 2014

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

Is there any event, where an avalanche serves as an elimination mechanic swallowing the last racer?

blanktester
Aug 28, 2012

Also I saw my hand on blood lying on the ground, and I saw someone with device's like pile bunker and grind with evil smile

SelenicMartian posted:

Is there any event, where an avalanche serves as an elimination mechanic swallowing the last racer?

No, but that sounds like it could be a cool idea.

Insetik
Mar 30, 2010

MERRY GLIZZMAS

SelenicMartian posted:

No. The Avalanche events are single-person only. Like blanktester said, that sounds like a complete wasted opportunity.

I'll just warn everyone right now that the game doesn't get super extreme. Well, actually, one of the bonus videos will be more extreme than the others, but probably not in a way that you're all hoping for. It's a somewhat interesting game, but again, it's fairly run-of-the-mill.

Insetik
Mar 30, 2010

MERRY GLIZZMAS
Speeding along, it's time for another round. The courses continue to stay average and short, but our soundtrack expands to add even more songs to your large selection. I won't be changing the music that loads up until the bonuses though, because some songs seem custom-made for certain levels. You'll see a good example next video. Oh, and thanks to a youtube comment I got pointing out a joke I totally missed doing, this video is now in 1080p!

1080 Avalanche Part 2: Hard Challenge

Text Link

Now, in the video, you hear me summarize my thoughts on the game, but I want to hear what you think. This game is definitely not worth 60 dollars. Obviously. But do you think Nintendo should give it another shot? Even if they didn't update anything, would it be worth it for Nintendo to put this game on its marketplace for digital download?

And if not, what should they implement to make it worth doing so? Because it's a fun game. Nothing in its mechanics is dragging it down. It's just that there's not much there. So what else should have been there?

Daigerus
Nov 5, 2009

Ovues posted:

Now, in the video, you hear me summarize my thoughts on the game, but I want to hear what you think. This game is definitely not worth 60 dollars. Obviously. But do you think Nintendo should give it another shot? Even if they didn't update anything, would it be worth it for Nintendo to put this game on its marketplace for digital download?

And if not, what should they implement to make it worth doing so? Because it's a fun game. Nothing in its mechanics is dragging it down. It's just that there's not much there. So what else should have been there?

Maybe throw in more opponents during the racing AI portions? Or add more personality to the characters by adding cutscenes or perhaps an actual story to give more context to these races aka a story mode? And I'm not sure if Nintendo should give it another shot, because as it is, it's not really all memorable. The damage system feels kind of tacked-on and unnecessary, since there's no incentive to stay undamaged outside of making new time records. Even if this game is competently done, it just lacks a sense of charm, but maybe that's just me.

Maybe add more colors to the courses. At least the difficulty bumps make their courses slightly more unique and I do like that cutscene to showcase that you're actually outracing an avalanche.

Insetik
Mar 30, 2010

MERRY GLIZZMAS

Daigerus posted:

Maybe throw in more opponents during the racing AI portions? Or add more personality to the characters by adding cutscenes or perhaps an actual story to give more context to these races aka a story mode? And I'm not sure if Nintendo should give it another shot, because as it is, it's not really all memorable. The damage system feels kind of tacked-on and unnecessary, since there's no incentive to stay undamaged outside of making new time records. Even if this game is competently done, it just lacks a sense of charm, but maybe that's just me.

Maybe add more colors to the courses. At least the difficulty bumps make their courses slightly more unique and I do like that cutscene to showcase that you're actually outracing an avalanche.

I like these ideas. Having more racers would make the races more interesting, though there still isn't much space for them to do anything before the finish line a minute and a half later. If you're not first, you're last, etc etc...

And along with that, the damage system seems useless because if you fall down six times, you've already lost the race anyways. Heck, if you fall down three times, you've pretty much lost it no matter what unless you're in the novice set. And in the bonus difficulty, you better be able to get your power bar back up and knock your opponent down if you stumble even once.

Rat brought up a good point that these tracks aren't very wide either, or when they are wide, they're still all connecting to the same path. I would love to see 4 racers in a race or so, but there wouldn't be a lot of space to move around. And the game is sort of designed for two racers, as you may have noticed that we faced all 4 other characters once each in the last video. The next difficulty has five races before the final challenge. Who are we going to face on that fifth one?

Insetik fucked around with this message at 23:29 on Apr 5, 2014

Six Of Spades
Oct 24, 2010

"...That too is according to my calculations."
While a rather tame game, I like Avalanche. It lacks the campy "RICKY WINTERBORN" factor of the original game, but the short, slightly technical courses are neat in a Trackmania kinda way, and the choice of music is a nice mix of easy-to-like buttrock, chill shoegaze-ish stuff and some surprisingly dirty electronic beats.

If I was to improve it? Racing more than one guy for sure - but maybe messing with the colour palette a bit more. It's maybe unfair of me to compare every snowboarding game to SSX Tricky but drat that game went to lengths to ensure every stage looked very different.

(Sorry I don't comment in the thread much. I'm subscribed to your channel and tend to watch episodes that way)

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
the funny thing is 1080 on the n64 seemed to try and get very distinct looks to each track by the lighting of the courses. Weirdly from memory it seems that the courses on avalanche are about the same length, or shorter, which seems very silly.

I have a feeling that the team that did 1080 is the same one that did waverace 64, and certainly on the n64 they used the same engine, and one of the key coders was a british dude who stayed in kyoto with nintendo after the old argonaught super fx chip days.

no idea if it was the same team who made avalanche though.

Insetik
Mar 30, 2010

MERRY GLIZZMAS

JFairfax posted:

the funny thing is 1080 on the n64 seemed to try and get very distinct looks to each track by the lighting of the courses. Weirdly from memory it seems that the courses on avalanche are about the same length, or shorter, which seems very silly.

I have a feeling that the team that did 1080 is the same one that did waverace 64, and certainly on the n64 they used the same engine, and one of the key coders was a british dude who stayed in kyoto with nintendo after the old argonaught super fx chip days.

no idea if it was the same team who made avalanche though.

Nintendo Software Technology is the team that developed this game, the Wave Race sequel, and a whole bunch of handheld exclusives.

Meanwhile, Nintendo Entertainment Analysis and Development made the original 1080 and Wave Race, and developed a lot of the mainline games for Nintendo's franchise characters. So NST is kind of the Z-list team, I guess (don't tell them I said that).

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Thanks for clarifying Ovues. You weren't kidding, NST really are the Z-Listers!

I was really disappoint by Blue Storm, it almost seemed as if it was developed by people who were not massive fans of the original (which I was and am) and just went in a different direction. It looked fantastic for the time, but none of the courses seemed as memorable or as well constructed as the originals and they had an actual turbo button, which felt real odd. I know the original had a 5 stage speed up thing for passing buoys but it's not the same. The storms were mighty impressive though, just felt very disappointing compared to WaveRace 64 which is really tight, and relatively realistic.

Are you guys going to be tackling this classic at any point?

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

JFairfax posted:

Who's Ssosl, and why is his/her name on the cover?

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
55DSL

Appears to be a clothing brand owned by Diesel

Insetik
Mar 30, 2010

MERRY GLIZZMAS

JFairfax posted:

55DSL

Appears to be a clothing brand owned by Diesel

It's always good to see a list of brands that sponsored the game on the front cover of it. Though, the last time I did a game like that, it either went very well or very horribly.

So up next, we're hitting the third difficulty in 1080 Avalanche, and we're playing straight through to the ending credits. Joining us this time is liarlyre, who probably didn't expect to see those credits three videos into the game. What is this, Razor Racing?

1080 Avalanche Part 3: Expert Challenge

Text Link

However, all is not lost. There is a new difficulty waiting for us, one that will test our limits of muscle memory in racing down MIRRORED versions of all the courses you loved previously! Like that one course, and that other one. After that, there are a couple tricking events, and then after that, this game does have one or two great surprises that demand their own bonus video.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Oh, boy! Mirrored tracks! Who's going to notice the difference?

Has any snowboarding game tried reverse tracks, with the character pulled uphill on a rope by a chopper? EXTREME!

Insetik
Mar 30, 2010

MERRY GLIZZMAS

SelenicMartian posted:

Oh, boy! Mirrored tracks! Who's going to notice the difference?

Has any snowboarding game tried reverse tracks, with the character pulled uphill on a rope by a chopper? EXTREME!

Considering our racer's propensity to jump off cliffs, I'm sure there won't be any problem there.

Insetik
Mar 30, 2010

MERRY GLIZZMAS
Alright, are you guys ready for all the fun action that comes out of doing the same courses AGAIN???

Well, the difficulty does get tougher, and you will see some very close calls here. But otherwise... ehh, we get an alternate skin? And when mattroks101 heard I wanted another new name to add to the crew, he...ugh...

1080 Avalanche Part 4 - Extreme Challenge

Text Link

Now, we've gotten through the final difficulty of challenges, but there are a few other things to do in this game. We've got a tricking event or two, and we have some gate challenges to see. And if you manage to get gold medals in the gate challenges, you get a couple new boards for your efforts. One of them is definitely worth showing.

Insetik fucked around with this message at 23:33 on Apr 10, 2014

blanktester
Aug 28, 2012

JFairfax posted:

Well we don't actually have a DC, but we could probably get one if there were enough call for it. You're the second person who has asked for it, so maybe. Can't wait to play as Ssosl. Sounds pretty kick rear end.

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
If you do end up with a DC there's this one as well:

Drastic Actions
Apr 7, 2009

FUCK YOU!
GET PUMPED!
Nap Ghost

JFairfax posted:

I can save you time with this one. It's by the same guys who did the original two cool borders games, and some random Saturn versions of said games. IMO It's not that good.

blanktester
Aug 28, 2012

JFairfax posted:

That says Salomon so I say gently caress WE NEED A DC.

Insetik
Mar 30, 2010

MERRY GLIZZMAS
Salomon? Ah drat it, I though I was done collecting Salomon logos! gently caress Salomon, gently caress Crave, gently caress Valcom. The unholy trinity of this thread.

On the other hand, I could finally do Trickstyle like you want me to...

You know what game DOESN'T have Salomon? THIS GAME. 1080 AVALANCHE. My rating for it just changed up to a 10 out of 10.

1080 Avalanche Bonus 1: Other Game Modes

Text Link

Skip this vid if you don't like:
LETTING MOOSES LOOSE
PULLING 1080s IN 1080 AVALANCHE
TRYING TO SLALOM WHILE GOING FAST
EXCEEDING REGULATED AMOUNTS OF LOOSE MOOSES

When I recorded this video, I thought it would be the last one for 1080. However, I unlocked a special snowboard, and I looked up what else were unlockables in the game. And one of them actually looked like a lot of fun. So I'll see you guys for a special surprise, and then it'll be time for another game.

Insetik
Mar 30, 2010

MERRY GLIZZMAS
I can't do much tomorrow and waitin' 4 days is too long so here's the second bonus vid for 1080 Avalanche!

For taking the time to win all the gate challenges, the game decides to throw in something a little extra. Gather round, and have a good time as I break this game over my knee (not literally (I can do that if you guys want)). And make sure to stick around until the end of the video for a preview of the next game. I am so excited, because the next game is so, so bad and crazy.

1080 Avalanche Bonus 2: Rocket Speed

Text Link

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Does someone like a rocket-riding moose appear in later Nintendo games? Were there planes for Paper Avalanche? Moose's Epic Ugh? 1080: A Link to 420?

blanktester
Aug 28, 2012

SelenicMartian posted:

Does someone like a rocket-riding moose appear in later Nintendo games? Were there planes for Paper Avalanche? Moose's Epic Ugh? 1080: A Link to 420?

Moose Party 47

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
I love how the rocket doesn't boost you through the spin tricks since it's just jetting in all directions.

Insetik
Mar 30, 2010

MERRY GLIZZMAS

SelenicMartian posted:

1080: A Link to 420?

Hell, I'd play it. Speaking of, I hope you're all ready for this next game. Like Johnny Moseley, it's sure to be a doozy.

:CrankerZ: :CrankerZ: :CrankerZ: - Let's Play Evolution Snowboarding

What is this game?
Evolution Snowboarding is the snowboarding version of Konami's skateboarding game Evolution Skateboarding. That doesn't mean it's a simple cut and paste job, however: Evo Snow goes far, far above and beyond by setting the world in an apocalyptic Earth where evil forces have flipped the weather and thrown humankind in disarray. You, the player, are the only one who can liberate the world eight areas, bring the forces of professional snowboarding together, and stop this sinister plot. I'm not even kidding. This is what I read in the video, straight from the game's manual.

Players are pursued by these 'Boardroids', and they are able to fight back with a variety of punches, kicks, and weapons that are found in the levels. That's right. THIS GAME HAS COMBAT.

Each area consists of ten missions and one nasty boss that you need to defeat in your world tour. Really, the only thing missing is a special thread-favorite character, who already guided us through a few of Konami's skating games. Well, don't worry, because I had something in mind for the next game I played with a character creator...

On a scale of 1 to 10, how good is it?
If the previous paragraphs were there to hype you up, this one is here to let you down. None of the mechanics in the game feel very good. It's clunky. Everything's clunky. When I spin or flip, my guy will seem to just do an arbitrary amount of spinning/flipping, without any regard to if I'll land on my face or not. It's very easy to get ganged up on by enemies and get wrecked. And the gold medal/silver medal requirements for levels assume you're really REALLY good at the game. None of this will be apparent until we actually get into the first level, but keep it in mind.

For the player, Evo Snow gets maybe a 4 out of 10. However, for the viewers, I'm hoping this will one of the more enjoyable games, just because of how crazy this game can get. It definitely has its own unique mood, and sticks to it very firmly.

Now, our story starts with a prisoner being woken up deep in the heart of a large prison by Patrick Stewart by an unknown helper. Left with only his board, the player must escape and find out what it's like outside those walls...

Evolution Snowboarding Part 1: Escape

Text Link

Mr. Highway
Feb 25, 2007

I'm a very lonely man, doing what I can.
The combat reminds me of Road Rash, which then makes me hope that there is more combat than tricking.

Insetik
Mar 30, 2010

MERRY GLIZZMAS

Mr. Highway posted:

The combat reminds me of Road Rash, which then makes me hope that there is more combat than tricking.

Technically, you would be right, because punching people is what prevents them from hitting you while doing big grabs won't do much for you. However, there is a good place for spinning and flipping, but we weren't able to see it with our character's jump stat at 0. Speaking of, I decided to go into GIMP, and if anyone feels like dropping 30 bucks, :CrankerZ: could become a thing. Or just copy and paste at your leisure. But here he is:

Insetik
Mar 30, 2010

MERRY GLIZZMAS
The game flies out of the gate, and it's time to see the first level: Boom Town! We are harassed by enemies as we make our way down the list of missions, to get to that boss fight at the end. Or maybe, the boss is closer to us than he seems...

Evolution Snowboarding Part 2: Boom Town

Text Link

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Is the idea to race with everyone but Rick, and just boost his stats for the boss-slapping?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blanktester
Aug 28, 2012

SelenicMartian posted:

Is the idea to race with everyone but Rick, and just boost his stats for the boss-slapping?

As depressing as it is to not get to play as Crankers , I think you're right.

• Locked thread