Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Doltos posted:

Pretty likely. Mettenberger has a cannon and that causes scout boners to pop no matter what.
I think he would have had a chance, with a strong combine and pro day, to be a back of the first round prospect. The thing is, Bortles at least has Roethlisberger athleticism, he can roll out, throw on the run, run for a few yards if there's nothing there. That's all you get, but it's still more than what Mettenberger will give you. I don't think that every team wants their QB to be able to run, but I think the modern NFL QB is expected to be agile at a bare minimum. Those intriguing combinations of frame, power and speed, those are the risers, like Logan Thomas will be.

I know that Mettenberger will draw a comparison to Flacco but it needs to be pointed out that Flacco's 40 time was actually a full 10th of a second faster than Bortles. It's just not a huge part of his game, is all.

The 7th Guest fucked around with this message at 00:26 on Apr 7, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Parmesan Basil
Nov 12, 2008

TIME IS THE FIRE IN WHICH WE BURN THE GAME CLOCK
Never ever draft a rapist. I would hate Mettenburger more than Smith if he was a Chief.

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

I SAID WE'RE NOT GONNA BE FUCKING SUCK THIS YEAR!!!

Thomas gonna get drafted by the Cardinals in the 2nd or 3rd. VT connection and he can huck the ball like Arians wants. DEEP.

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*

Quest For Glory II posted:

I think he would have had a chance, with a strong combine and pro day, to be a back of the first round prospect. The thing is, Bortles at least has Roethlisberger athleticism, he can roll out, throw on the run, run for a few yards if there's nothing there. That's all you get, but it's still more than what Mettenberger will give you. I don't think that every team wants their QB to be able to run, but I think the modern NFL QB is expected to be agile at a bare minimum. Those intriguing combinations of frame, power and speed, those are the risers, like Logan Thomas will be.

I know that Mettenberger will draw a comparison to Flacco but it needs to be pointed out that Flacco's 40 time was actually a full 10th of a second faster than Bortles. It's just not a huge part of his game, is all.

Go re-watch the Ravens/49ers Super Bowl. Flacco has become very capable escaping pressure and I'd wager he's better at it than Big Ben at this stage in their careers. Joe was an absolute statute his first two years in the league but the Ravens evaded a losing season last year due to Flacco escaping collapsing pockets.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

I just don't think it's a huge aspect to his game, but he's certainly capable of it, which is what I was trying to say. When the need arises, he can do it. Mettenberger hasn't shown that ability to me. His athletic ability seems more on par with that of Nick Foles, and we know what kind of runner Foles is (aka a walker).

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Parmesan Basil posted:

Never ever draft a rapist. I would hate Mettenburger more than Smith if he was a Chief.

Not to whitewash Mettenberger's conduct, but I certainly wouldn't classify Mettenberger as "a rapist":

quote:

Southern Judicial Circuit district attorney J. David Miller said the charges "were the result of Mettenberger grabbing the breasts and touching the buttocks" of a 20-year-old female Valdosta State University student in the bar.
http://content.usatoday.com/communi.../1#.U0H4F_ldW2d

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves

Parmesan Basil posted:

Peyton commits sexual assault, is great and wins a ring. Roethlisberger rapes two women, wins two rings

Clearly you want more rape not less

shiksa
Nov 9, 2009

i went to one of these wrestling shows and it was... honestly? frickin boring. i wanna see ricky! i want to see his gold chains and respect for the ftw lifestyle

Intruder posted:

Peyton commits sexual assault, is great and wins a ring.

What now?

WHOOPS
Nov 6, 2009
He tea bagged a female trainer in college.

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

ulmont posted:

Not to whitewash Mettenberger's conduct, but I certainly wouldn't classify Mettenberger as "a rapist":

http://content.usatoday.com/communi.../1#.U0H4F_ldW2d

I was about to point this out myself; Mettenberger got drunk as a freshman at Georgia and groped some poor woman, which is horrible but not in the same realm as rape. If those unsubstantiated rumors about LSU covering up incidents with him (and that is pretty much all they've been so far) become anything but, then by all means I hope nobody touches him. By all accounts, however, Mett has seemingly turned himself around since that fuckup he committed as a freshman.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

Intruder posted:

Peyton commits sexual assault, is great and wins a ring. Roethlisberger rapes two women, wins two rings

Clearly you want more rape not less
Checks out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Njr2GB9oh0

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know

Its why Darren Sharper has won more Super Bowl rings than there are Super Bowls.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

swickles posted:

Its why Darren Sharper has won more Super Bowl rings than there are Super Bowls.

Intangibles only apply to QBs and MLBs.

fan of the browns
Apr 6, 2012

my enemy...
the enemy of every human who has ever lived...
this is the life-force that watches over the Dinosaurs.
All the "insider info" I've read seems like Carr at 26 seems to be the plan. I'm really, really not sold on Carr for reasons I can't quite qualify. It just seems like he's a good-to-great college player against not-stellar competition with inflated stats and is getting a boon from both "QB inflation" and this bullshit "bloodline pedigree" stuff. For whatever reason, I think Carr is the biggest bust/boom potential of any of the QBs in this draft. Maybe I'm dumb but I don't see Carr's upside and it seems like he has a fairly average ceiling (which, admittedly, can be remedied with a Watkins/Gordon/Cameron/Rabbit receiving corps).

If the Browns aren't willing to gamble on one of the Big 3 I'd rather see Jimmy Garoppolo in the second (preferably with a trade-down), outside of Manziel I think Jimmy G has a pretty high ceiling as long as he works on arm-strength/mechanics for a season or two.

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008

Dexo posted:

Major Wright is such a good loving Safety name. I am so sad he was terrible and injury ridden.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AyoIWbyEwXo

Homestar Runner
Oct 9, 2012

This is the best videogame
I have ever played!
Dumbass fans.

The prospect is Derek Carr, for crying out loud

Only registered members can see post attachments!

PrinceRandom
Feb 26, 2013

Homestar Runner posted:

Dumbass fans.

Feel free to ship Romo to the Texans, Dallas. I will be his replacement hot girlfriend.

Faux Edit: Wait what? Instead of Romo Girlfriend I get this

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

It's Sic Semper Tyrannis. You said, "Ever faithful terrible lizard."
It would be interesting to see Mettenberger to the Vikings since I think thats a system he'd do well in.

Garoppolo to the Chiefs would be intriguing as well since that'd be a good QB/system match, relatively speaking. He seems like a good rhythm passer and that release is so drat quick.

And Carr to the Browns because apparently that's just happening. I like Carr better than Bortles so theres that.

Ugh how much longer till the drat draft?

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer
I want Romo to win a ring right after being run out of Dallas more than anything in football barring a Bengals Superbowl win.

No Irish Need Imply
Nov 30, 2008
I think Carr to Browns is bullshit. No real reason, will hopefully be proven wrong.

amaranthine
Aug 27, 2009
I AM A TERRIBLE HUMAN BEING

Atticus Finch posted:

I think Carr to Browns is bullshit. No real reason, will hopefully be proven wrong.

I completely agree with you - nobody leaks plans about their low-first pick a month in advance. Not even the browns.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Homestar Runner posted:

Dumbass fans.

That's a pretty lovely comparison. Derek Carr actually has an arm.

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

Really Tony Romo should leave the Cowboys, win a ring or two, and never look back as the Cowboys become perpetual bottom dwellers. The fan hate on him is that annoying. And I'm from Dallas.

Nawid
Mar 27, 2011
I'm pretty certain Romo is a first ballot HoF if he was on most other teams.

Butthead
May 31, 2011

Nawid posted:

I'm pretty certain Romo is a first ballot HoF if he was on most other teams.

I would agree in a different era. Passing stats are super-inflated now though.

Unless you mean because on most other teams he'd win multiple Super Bowls, because then yeah he would be a first ballot HoF.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

Atticus Finch posted:

Why do you think that? Granted most smoke screens a month away from the draft are lies but if you're dismissing this one because of Carr's perceived talent then I'll have to disagree with you. Carr has a NFL skillset, he's not that far off performance wise from the top 3 QBs in this draft. A first round selection for him isn't crazy.

Will he be good in the NFL? That's for his career to decide. He's just a pretty good starting point right now.

Rasczak
Mar 30, 2005

Democratic Pirate posted:

Really Tony Romo should leave the Cowboys, win a ring or two, and never look back as the Cowboys become perpetual bottom dwellers. The fan hate on him is that annoying. And I'm from Dallas.

Yeah I pretty much agree with all of this

No Irish Need Imply
Nov 30, 2008

Doltos posted:

Why do you think that?

Atticus Finch posted:

Febreeze
Oct 24, 2011

I want to care, butt I dont

Doltos posted:

Why do you think that? Granted most smoke screens a month away from the draft are lies but if you're dismissing this one because of Carr's perceived talent then I'll have to disagree with you. Carr has a NFL skillset, he's not that far off performance wise from the top 3 QBs in this draft. A first round selection for him isn't crazy.

Will he be good in the NFL? That's for his career to decide. He's just a pretty good starting point right now.

I think Carr really is in many ways being hindered by his name. There is potential there to be a good NFL QB but everyone remembers Super Bowl winning QB David Carr and shudders.

SlipUp
Sep 30, 2006

stayin c o o l
To be fair the the former Carr, he may have never been a perennial pro bowler but with even with a poor to mediocre line and a decent coach he could've been passable.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

Febreeze posted:

I think Carr really is in many ways being hindered by his name. There is potential there to be a good NFL QB but everyone remembers Super Bowl winning QB David Carr and shudders.

I don't. I think most NFL scouting teams would realize that even playing in the NFL makes your bloodline pretty great, let alone being the #1 overall pick for an expansion team. I do think Carr is being hindered by his name with regular joes though.

SlipUp posted:

To be fair the the former Carr, he may have never been a perennial pro bowler but with even with a poor to mediocre line and a decent coach he could've been passable.

That's ehh. Carr threw some bad passes even when he was upright. He also doesn't play at all like his brother. David will always be the GOAT of my heart though.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

John McClain is now flip flopping off of Bortles

quote:

John McClain of the Houston Chronicle projects the Texans to use the No. 1 overall pick on Texas A&M QB Johnny Manziel.

He may be "plugged in" as a Texans reporter but I think he's proving he has no idea what the Texans want to do.

The 7th Guest fucked around with this message at 17:16 on Apr 7, 2014

Winkie01
Nov 28, 2004

Seems like most of the time you get a really good player if you pick after the Raiders

Imagine a world with Fitz, Megatron, and Mr. Discount double check on the same team :stare:

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves

Quest For Glory II posted:

John McClain is now flip flopping off of Bortles

He may be "plugged in" as a Texans reporter but I think he's proving he has no idea what the Texans want to do.

To be fair, he's always been saying either Bortles or Manziel, now he's just picking one and dropping the other

Also he's always wrong. He's connected, so you can kind of believe him when it comes to things currently happening in the organization, but his predictive abilities are garbage. I think he's basically the guy the Texans feed information to when they want to create a smokescreen and he takes them at their word

weird Asian candy
Aug 23, 2005

Ask me about how my football team's success determines my self worth, and how I wish I lived in New Orleans.

Winkie01 posted:

Seems like most of the time you get a really good player if you pick after the Raiders

:mmmhmm:

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

Winkie01 posted:

Imagine a world with Fitz, Megatron, and Mr. Discount double check on the same team :stare:

That is like 100% the most hindsight post I've ever seen. Let's see here from the bottom to the top:

Robert Gallery vs Fitzgerald - All world LT that was thought of as a can't miss prospect, desperately needed o-line help at the time.

Fabian Washington vs Aaron Rodgers - All around super talented athlete, fourth all time for INTs on the Huskers, seen as a bit of a steal at the time. Rodgers was free falling and sat for three years.

Michael Huff vs Donte Whitner - Huff was seen as the waaaay better prospect at the time. Whitner was a head hunter with questionable coverage skills.

JaMarcus Russell vs Calvin Johnson - Ok this one was bad. Still though, it's hard to turn down a guy with a cannon like Russell, even if CJ was more of a 'can't bust' than anyone else on this list.

Darren McFadden vs Glenn Dorsey - McFadden was on one of the most potent rushing attacks in NCAA. Superb athlete with as good of potential as ADP. Glenn Dorsey was also being talked up as a top 3 pick for forever, so it was a decent toss up decision (even though TFF loathes taking RBs in the first).

DHB vs Eugene Monroe - Ok, very stupid at the time. No excuse for this one other than SPEED

Rolando McClain vs CJ Spiller - McClain was a can't miss thumper down the middle. His off the field antics side tracked him more than his talent. Spiller also was heralded as a bust until recently.

D.J. Hayden vs Sheldon Richardson - Hayden had a meteoric rise up the boards and would be taken shortly after where the Raiders took him. They also didn't have a huge need for Sheldon Richardson at the time.

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!
To be fair to the Raiders, the average NFL career is only 3.5 years. And most prospects bust anyway.

Dattserberg
Dec 30, 2005

National champion, Heisman winner, King crab enthusiast
Kiper came out with a 3 round mock on Insider. Can someone post this or at least the Lions picks? Yes, I am a sucker.

Nawid
Mar 27, 2011

Doltos posted:

D.J. Hayden vs Sheldon Richardson - Hayden had a meteoric rise up the boards and would be taken shortly after where the Raiders took him. They also didn't have a huge need for Sheldon Richardson at the time.
I don't get why people talk about Hayden already like he's a bust. Cornerbacks are always iffy their first season. He could be the next Woodson.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

v2vian man
Sep 1, 2007

Only question I
ever thought was hard
was do I like Kirk
or do I like Picard?
Not to mention the Raiders drafting differently in 2004 would result in a different draft order in 2005. Imagine four speed WRs at the edge of a cliff

• Locked thread