Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade

computer parts posted:

Brandon Sanderson's third Mistborn trilogy will be this.

Well at this point it may be the fourth. Since Alloy of law expanded from a short to a novella and is now getting a sequel.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oroborus
Jul 6, 2004
Here we go again
spoilered for those who have not read cold days yet:

I've been listening to cold days, when they mention that immortals can die on Halloween, if the island had blown up would all of the things in the well be killed permanently? I was also wondering how long until Harry taps into the power of the well

Vateke
Jun 29, 2010

Oroborus posted:

spoilered for those who have not read cold days yet:

I've been listening to cold days, when they mention that immortals can die on Halloween, if the island had blown up would all of the things in the well be killed permanently? I was also wondering how long until Harry taps into the power of the well

From how I understood it, The Halloween rule only applies to faerie creatures. Also, the way it was explained, the self destruct doesn't even kill the prisoners. It just hurts them enough that they need time to recuperate and thus gives the rest of the world a chance to prepare.

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

We have decided to decline your offer of a butt kicking.

Vateke posted:

From how I understood it, The Halloween rule only applies to faerie creatures. Also, the way it was explained, the self destruct doesn't even kill the prisoners. It just hurts them enough that they need time to recuperate and thus gives the rest of the world a chance to prepare.

This is wrong. It applies to all immortals. It was mentioned that Cowl had to perform his necromancy ritual on Halloween because that's the time he would be able to go from mortal to immortal. It's not just a fairy thing.

I think it's possible it would have killed many of the prisoners permanently, but some would be so powerful that they'd only be injured.

MadDogMike
Apr 9, 2008

Cute but fanged

Wittgen posted:

This is wrong. It applies to all immortals. It was mentioned that Cowl had to perform his necromancy ritual on Halloween because that's the time he would be able to go from mortal to immortal. It's not just a fairy thing.

I think it's possible it would have killed many of the prisoners permanently, but some would be so powerful that they'd only be injured.

Which of course might beg the question - were they just trying to break someone(thing) out, or kill off certain prisoners (or both probably)? I imagine there are some very nasty things in Demonreach that would be quite hostile to the Outsiders melting all of existence down or whatnot. Harry having to let some of his prisoners on "work release" to stop the end of the world does seem like a very Dresden thing to have happen (i.e. awesome and with inevitable further problems to Harry down the road for doing it). I don't know that Outsiders hold to the "killed on Halloween = dead" rule though; by definition they don't follow the usual rules of existence, and I'm skeptical we've seen the last of Sharkface as this would imply.

Subvisual Haze
Nov 22, 2003

The building was on fire and it wasn't my fault.

MadDogMike posted:

Which of course might beg the question - were they just trying to break someone(thing) out, or kill off certain prisoners (or both probably)? I imagine there are some very nasty things in Demonreach that would be quite hostile to the Outsiders melting all of existence down or whatnot. Harry having to let some of his prisoners on "work release" to stop the end of the world does seem like a very Dresden thing to have happen (i.e. awesome and with inevitable further problems to Harry down the road for doing it). I don't know that Outsiders hold to the "killed on Halloween = dead" rule though; by definition they don't follow the usual rules of existence, and I'm skeptical we've seen the last of Sharkface as this would imply.

Triggering the gigantic fail safe explosion was their main plan.

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

keiran_helcyan posted:

Triggering the gigantic fail safe explosion was their main plan.

But was it really?
It's interesting because we don't actually know.

Silento
Feb 16, 2012

So, with Skin Game coming up, and the resolution to the Lash/parasite plotline sure to be included, what are people's theories on what will happen? Personally, I expect Lash to act as a replacement for Bob, now that Bob isn't readily available for Harry.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

People put out a theory about Lash being literally birthed from Harry's head ala Athena and that seems remarkably Dresden-like to me.

Oroborus
Jul 6, 2004
Here we go again

Error 404 posted:

But was it really?
It's interesting because we don't actually know.

This is where I go with it, I know they mention it blowing up half the U.S but that seems so twirling mustache villain if that makes sense. Maybe blowing upthe well would have released like King outsider or something?

Vateke
Jun 29, 2010

Oroborus posted:

This is where I go with it, I know they mention it blowing up half the U.S but that seems so twirling mustache villain if that makes sense. Maybe blowing upthe well would have released like King outsider or something?

I assume the point was to cause a huge distraction to the forces working against the Outsiders. Plus, I would think a catastrophe that large would have metaphysical effects on the Nevernever, possibly giving the Outsiders an advantage in their front line war.

Xtanstic
Nov 23, 2007

Silento posted:

So, with Skin Game coming up, and the resolution to the Lash/parasite plotline sure to be included, what are people's theories on what will happen? Personally, I expect Lash to act as a replacement for Bob, now that Bob isn't readily available for Harry.

I saved my favorite theory because I had to share it with my brother. Someone posted it in this thread shortly after Cold Days released. Here it is:

DrFrankenStrudel posted:

Here's something I picked up on that noone else has mentioned. If you remember Harry's mental depictions of Lash she was always a woman dressed in an ancient Greek style tunic/robe, which is what put me on this train of thought. Harry's situation has a lot of comparability with Greek mythology, specifically the Athena mythos.

Athena was considered a goddess of wisdom, strategy, crafts, while also in many tales providing counsel for the heroes. Our Lash character archetypes from near the end of her time w/ Harry are pretty much spot on, with Harry frequently consulting her for knowledge and even for help planning in the heat of battle, hell she even helps him overcome his burned hand to create music.

Secondly the Athena birth myth matches up nearly spot on with what we've seen so far. In the most popular Athena origin story she was conceived and grew within Zeus for many years This origin is a metaphor for Harry giving Lash free will, "conceiving" her as an independent being.
Eventually Zues began to have enormous headaches (as Harry does) which got progressively worse until Athena burst from his forehead fully formed.
When Harry asks (in chapter 17, page 165) "What happens if it stays in there?" Demonreach specifically replies "IT BURSTS FORTH FROM YOUR SKULL.". pretty cryptic, but not necessarily a gorey fatal mess.

In summary: I think that Lash the Free willed entity, has been growing/recovering within Harry, since she saved him from the psychic assault, and at some point in the next book or two will Burst forth from Harry's head as a fully formed being.

How will that happen you ask?
Where will her body come from you ask?
Harry's had access to the soulfire MOJO for a few years now, and while we haven't seen him use it a lot, the parasite presumably has been siphoning some of that soulfire for years, storing it up towards a critical mass where it can create a body (probably a physical/spirtual body like the fae), the natural symptoms of such a buildup would be Harry's horrible headaches (just like Zues).

It makes sense from a writer's point of view too. Think about it, a character who Dresden is quasi-romantically attatched to, has a brand new body with the full knowledge and intellect of a Fallen Angel, and has ultimate unpredictability: FREE WILL.
Holy available plot directions BATMAN!!!

Plus, on a Butcher specific note he likes to play with the Free Will/redemption motif.
Maeve acquires free will from the maleficent Nemesis, freed from her immutable nature she doesn't know how to deal and goes insane, how much of that was free will or the touch of Nemesis is up for debate.
Lash acquires free will from the imperfect (but generally well-intentioned) Harry, freed from her immutable nature the choices she makes, the influences Harry has on her, she has the capability to change into a mighty force for good or evil.

You get to pack:
Free Will,
Redemption,
and the consequences of your choices on others,
into a single character study, all of which are motifs Butcher likes to groove on. (not to mention are generally interesting) Butcher even prologued one of his short stories with a page or two about that last motif in his own life.

My favorite part about Jim Butcher's writing is that he sets himself up with so many plot lines so far in advance. We're still talking about events set in motion during Grave peril, he may not touch what I discuss above for another 4 books for all we know, but the material is there to build on, and it always makes you feel like a clever monkey when you re-read old books and find the seeds.

NOW DAMMIT JIM! GET TO WORK ON YOUR NEXT BOOK! NOW!!!

Scintilla
Aug 24, 2010

I BEAT HIGHFORT
and all I got was this
jackass monkey
^ At the very least it's interesting that the parasite has done everything in its power to keep Harry alive and kicking (headaches notwithstanding), doubly so if you believe the theory that Lash was the shadow that prompted him into taking the mantle of the Winter Knight.

Subvisual Haze
Nov 22, 2003

Scintilla posted:

^ At the very least it's interesting that the parasite has done everything in its power to keep Harry alive and kicking (headaches notwithstanding), doubly so if you believe the theory that Lash was the shadow that prompted him into taking the mantle of the Winter Knight.

I think it's more likely that the original Lasciel was the whispering shadow in that encounter. A reconstituted Lash would be a potential ally for Harry, but the ancient evil archangel Lasciel will always hate him for being the one mortal who resisted her temptations.

Silento
Feb 16, 2012

Yeah, the Athena theory is a good one too. I don't think the Bob thing would be mutually exclusive, though. I am kinda curious, though, about where she'd stay. Would she just hang out on Demonreach with Harry? I can only imagine the gang's reactions.

AllTerrineVehicle
Jan 8, 2010

I'm great at boats!

keiran_helcyan posted:

I think it's more likely that the original Lasciel was the whispering shadow in that encounter. A reconstituted Lash would be a potential ally for Harry, but the ancient evil archangel Lasciel will always hate him for being the one mortal who resisted her temptations.

I'm on board with the shadow's goal being Harry taking up Lasciel's coin, but I don't think Lash/Lasciel (or even one of the other Denarians) would be considered as "cheating" by doing that since they've given up substantial amounts of power for increased agency. Also there's the fact that it prompted a direct response from Uriel, and I don't think any of the Denarians have the mojo to require that.

Butcher makes a big deal about balance between Heaven/Hell in terms of actions and reactions, and the Knights are the specific counter to the Denarians. It'd have to be a capital-B Badass for a whisper to a) count as cheating and b) get Uriel himself to respond. It's been theorized before, but Lucifer himself (or perhaps just one of the regular Fallen) would do it, or it could be some other evil jerk we haven't directly encountered yet.

Bonus :tinfoil: theory: It was Mab in disguise :haw:

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

AllTerrineVehicle posted:

but I don't think Lash/Lasciel (or even one of the other Denarians) would be considered as "cheating" by doing that since they've given up substantial amounts of power for increased agency.

It arguably wouldn't be cheating for Lash/Lasciel to try to influence Harry that way, but it certainly would be for any of the other Denarian Fallen. (He never picked up any of their coins.)

Also, I just can't shake the idea that it's somehow all tied up in Cassius' DIE ALONE curse.

quote:

Also there's the fact that it prompted a direct response from Uriel, and I don't think any of the Denarians have the mojo to require that.

The other possibility is that Uriel was not so much required to intervene as he was looking for an excuse to. Sure, the technical counter for one of the Denarians messing with Harry is to have someone with a sword come around for an inspirational chat. (And come to think of it, didn't Sanya tell him broadly the same thing in Changes that Uriel told him later on, that he still had some say in his fate no matter what Mab wanted him to think?) But I can totally buy Uriel leaning hard on a technicality to accomplish what he wants to accomplish. Remember, he's the archangel that Mab admires and respects, and think about how she treats rules.

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

We have decided to decline your offer of a butt kicking.
That mention of Cassius' curse is interesting. Are you saying that maybe the power of the death curse is slowly forcing the parasite out of Harry's head? Hence the headaches? He certainly couldn't die alone if there was another person in his head.

May is taking far too long to get here.

MildShow
Jan 4, 2012

The thing is, it wasn't the whisper in and of itself that was the cheating - it was the fact that the whisper was a lie, carefully chosen by a being that knew exactly what to say, how to say it, and when to say it to effectively take away Harry's free will to make his decision. It's entirely possible that Harry would've come to same choice, but he never really got the opportunity without being influenced.

Subvisual Haze
Nov 22, 2003

Uriel also probably could have just told Harry right after the fact, but he chose to play the long game. Harry's never really taken the time to dwell on how Uriel might be manipulating him.

Apparently in an interview when asked if we've seen the last of Lasciel Butcher responded negatively with a reference to a woman scorned. Influencing Harry via a whisper seems to match that in my mind.

AllTerrineVehicle
Jan 8, 2010

I'm great at boats!

docbeard posted:

It arguably wouldn't be cheating for Lash/Lasciel to try to influence Harry that way, but it certainly would be for any of the other Denarian Fallen. (He never picked up any of their coins.)

It might be moot, I would be pretty surprised if any of the other Denarians even could pull something like that, now that I think about it.

docbeard posted:

The other possibility is that Uriel was not so much required to intervene as he was looking for an excuse to.

That's a good point actually. Given how little we actually know about Uriel's endgame it's anybody's guess as to whether someone of his level was required to balance things and he simply waited until a good time, or if he actively "volunteered" to do it.

Wittgen posted:

He certainly couldn't die alone if there was another person in his head.

Well, poo poo.

mistaya
Oct 18, 2006

Cat of Wealth and Taste

Is Cassius' death curse even still active? It's already been triggered.

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes

Wittgen posted:

That mention of Cassius' curse is interesting. Are you saying that maybe the power of the death curse is slowly forcing the parasite out of Harry's head? Hence the headaches? He certainly couldn't die alone if there was another person in his head.

It would be a hilarious unintended consequence if that were the case, and even more so if it was Cassius' curse that kept Harry alive long enough for Mab to collect him because he wasn't alone when he was shot/drowned.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

AllTerrineVehicle posted:

It might be moot, I would be pretty surprised if any of the other Denarians even could pull something like that, now that I think about it.

Honestly, I got the impression (though I'll grant that it's all a bit vague) that none of the Fallen could do that, because they couldn't act in the mortal world without permission. Like it wasn't even a matter of there being rules against it, but that it shouldn't have even been possible.

Though, of course, Nemesis provides an easy out for that, as it seems to be all about letting/making supernatural critters circumvent their usual limits.

I'm not saying that it has to be a Denarian, rather than the Devil Himself or some other player we haven't met yet or Mab wearing a wig, just that I wouldn't rule out the idea.

Wittgen posted:

May is taking far too long to get here.

I was actually thinking more that the death curse was tied up in the secret whisper that led to Harry's attempted Suicide By Mercenary in Changes, but that's an angle I hadn't thought of before, and you're right, it is an interesting idea.

Oroborus
Jul 6, 2004
Here we go again
If i remember correctly there are two groups. There are the fallen, and then there are the denarians. The fallen are not supposed to be able to interfere with humanity, but what if that just means is they can not interact without direct balancing of the scales.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

docbeard posted:

I'm not saying that it has to be a Denarian, rather than the Devil Himself or some other player we haven't met yet or Mab wearing a wig, just that I wouldn't rule out the idea.

I think Satan would be an interesting character in all of this because he's explicitly not on the side of Uriel et all but there's a pretty good chance he doesn't like the Outsiders either.

I guess in this upcoming book we'll see a similar figure in Hades and maybe Santa Claus isn't the only mythological figure to have more than one name.

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT
Reminder that the title of a future book is confirmed to be 'Hell's Bells'.

:haw:

Silento
Feb 16, 2012

Well, the Santa thing wasn't made out of whole cloth. There really were stories about the all-father riding around and delivering things (I don't remember what the things were, and I'm too lazy to google it atm) into boots. Have Satan/Lucifer (assuming they're the same person in The Dresden Files) and Hades been conflated in a similar way?

AllTerrineVehicle
Jan 8, 2010

I'm great at boats!

Silento posted:

Well, the Santa thing wasn't made out of whole cloth. There really were stories about the all-father riding around and delivering things (I don't remember what the things were, and I'm too lazy to google it atm) into boots. Have Satan/Lucifer (assuming they're the same person in The Dresden Files) and Hades been conflated in a similar way?

Not sure about in a "father of all evil" sense, but in a "ruler of the realm of the damned" sense there is a lot to go on in other mythologies. I get the feeling that Butcher has intentionally set apart the major spiritual entities of Christianity, though.

Then again there could be some pretty interesting stuff in the overlap of, for example, Catholic patron saints and the figures that held similar niches in other belief systems.

Captain Capacitor
Jan 21, 2008

The code you say?
Please make the Devil A) Ray Wise or B) Peter Stormare's Devil from Constantine. It'll have to be different on a whole new level, but also sympathetic fallen angel like Lash was heading towards.

AllTerrineVehicle
Jan 8, 2010

I'm great at boats!

Captain Capacitor posted:

Please make the Devil A) Ray Wise or B) Peter Stormare's Devil from Constantine. It'll have to be different on a whole new level, but also sympathetic fallen angel like Lash was heading towards.

Marcone with horns :getin:

cbservo
Dec 26, 2009

by exmarx
Ray Wise Satan is the best Satan. Only reason I kept watching that show.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Lucifer from Supernatural would also be cool but he works more because you get to see angels a lot more in that series.

Silento posted:

Hades (the place) was a common synonym for Hell in the New Testament*.

*Sort of up to interpretation, and most likely because it was originally written in Greek.

-Fish-
Oct 10, 2005

Glub glub.
Glub glub.

Bonus option) Satan from Adventures of Albert Einstein.

Oroborus
Jul 6, 2004
Here we go again
Just finished going through the series again by listening to it on audiobook, there were a few things in the final scenes I wondered if there were any answers from jim on or speculation:

Cold days spoilers

1)Mab mentions that she had another plan for molly other than becoming one of the ladies, she does mention she always thought Molly was a better fit for summer but was there another plan involved?

2) What are the responsibilities for the winter lady that Mab needed to teach Molly? If it were just the outer gates stuff why so secretive since Harry already knew?

3) Mac doesn't heal until Mab reaches into his body and pulls out the bullet, is he part Faerie and the iron was keeping him from healing or is he something else?

Dietrich
Sep 11, 2001

Oroborus posted:

3) Mac doesn't heal until Mab reaches into his body and pulls out the bullet, is he part Faerie and the iron was keeping him from healing or is he something else?

He's out.

404GoonNotFound
Aug 6, 2006

The McRib is back!?!?

Oroborus posted:

Cold days spoilers

I almost read that as Mac holding back the healing and Mab essentially telling him to cut the crap. Mac isn't Fey, he's out.

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Let me tell you about true luxury.

I will preface this by saying I have never read a Dresden blog, rarely post or read here unless I have a question or thought and I am currently on "Changes," maybe a quarter of the way through. Every single book I finish leads me to the same conclusion: we have met the man behind it all. The man behind the Black Council and perhaps everything.

Who is it? ...Ferrovax....

The dragon (small d) made only a small appearance, coincidentally at Byanca's party, or maybe not so coincidentally, and then vanished. He wields massive power, has relations of some type or other with forces beyond the normal beings of the Nevernever and holds a massive grudge against the various forces of the World for disrupting what he sees as balance. It just feels right, considering it wouldn't be something from left field, a perhaps debilitating deus ex machina, or insane double-cross. The question becomes, if Dragons can appear as "anything" has he appeared as other things throughout the series without us knowing?

Now watch this was completely disproved somehow in the end of Changes, Ghost Story or Cold Days :P

Shammypants fucked around with this message at 09:03 on Apr 15, 2014

GoodluckJonathan
Oct 31, 2003

Hello Urban Fantasy thread. Pact by the guy who did Worm is fantastic so far http://pactwebserial.wordpress.com/2013/12/17/bonds-1-1/ . Just a heads up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!

Oroborus posted:

Just finished going through the series again by listening to it on audiobook, there were a few things in the final scenes I wondered if there were any answers from jim on or speculation:

Cold days spoilers

1)Mab mentions that she had another plan for molly other than becoming one of the ladies, she does mention she always thought Molly was a better fit for summer but was there another plan involved?

2) What are the responsibilities for the winter lady that Mab needed to teach Molly? If it were just the outer gates stuff why so secretive since Harry already knew?

Bullets aren't iron and if it was Mab couldn't have touched it

• Locked thread