Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Korak
Nov 29, 2007
TV FACIST

Boxman posted:

"4-Color Thopter"

Early rounds of legacy - best rounds of legacy.

EDIT: Elves player fetches up a worldspine wurm, it's a 1/1 do-nothing because of Thopter's humility. The players high-five.

AegisP posted:

That is the most amazing 1/1 11 mana Worldspine Wurm I've ever seen.
:lol: 4C Thopter got the win?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

Feline Longmore is 3-2, so I guess we won't be seeing her High Tide on camera. I am slightly sad.

Any neat decks in this Legacy Open I missed so far? I caught a bit of Burn vs Elves earlier, but didn't get to see much of it.

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

Cedric just ratted out the RUG Delver that had written Lightning Strike instead of Lightning Bolt on his decklist.

SNITCHES GET STITCHES, CEDRIC

AegisP
Oct 5, 2008
Painter player's painter gets Extracted, goes on to beat his opponent down with a Revoker and Blood Moon O_o

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

You're forgetting about the Flashback'd Firebolt to seal the deal

AegisP
Oct 5, 2008

AgentSythe posted:

You're forgetting about the Flashback'd Firebolt to seal the deal

Yea, that may have been more amusing.

Meanwhile, Etched Champion's one weakness: Cabal Pit.

Peepers
Mar 11, 2005

Well, I'm a ghost. I scare people. It's all very important, I assure you.

Oh my god, this current game between Nic Fit and Elves is insane. Nic Fit plays Baneslayer Angel, drops elves player (Sam Black) to 6 and goes up to 27. Sam Black untaps, chains together 3 Glimpse of Nature, and now can't drop enough creatures to pump Craterhoof Behemoth high enough because he's close to decking himself. Black could have gone infinite by repeatedly casting GSZs for 0 to keep his library over 3 cards but he lost 2 of them to a Cabal Therapy.

edit: the Nic Fit player conceded because both players thought an Elvish Visionary that Sam cast that turn could attack with the Behemoth :psyduck:

Peepers fucked around with this message at 00:45 on Apr 7, 2014

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde
And that was one of the nuttiest games I've seen, and the Nic Fit player may have just blown the game by saying a creature was not summoning sick when it was.

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

That was shady as gently caress from Sam.

shades of blue
Sep 27, 2012

AgentSythe posted:

That was shady as gently caress from Sam.

Yeah uh that seemed quite a bit sketchy

Jerry Seinfeld
Mar 30, 2009

Sampatrick posted:

Yeah uh that seemed quite a bit sketchy

I'm not watching, just checking the thread...what did Sam do that was sketchy?

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

Starts the turn with an Elvish Visionary in play. Opponent pops Pernicious Deed in response to a Glimpse of Nature. He chains Glimpses together to the point that he is in danger of decking himself (as 2 of the 4 Green Suns Zeniths in his deck had been binned by a Cabal Therapy, so he could not just shuffle those back in forever to get creatures out of his hand into play), so he plays a Craterhoof Behemoth and then asks his opponent if two of his Elvish Visionaries were summoning sick. Opponent says they aren't and Sam attacks for exactsies.

Edit: Opponent had a Baneslayer Angel (lol) that would have attacked for lethal the next turn

Peepers
Mar 11, 2005

Well, I'm a ghost. I scare people. It's all very important, I assure you.

Setting aside what Sam Black did for a moment, I don't understand Nic Fit popping the Deed in response to the first Glimpse. What was he worried about that he couldn't just wait until he saw something worth blowing up?

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

Keeping him off Heritage Druid, I guess? Sam started the turn with a Gaea's Cradle in play so I'm pretty sure it was just a Bad Play. Additionally, he ought to have just blown them all up when he popped his first deed. He blew it up at 1 instead of 2.

Sleep of Bronze
Feb 9, 2013

If I could only somewhere find Aias, master of the warcry, then we could go forth and again ignite our battle-lust, even in the face of the gods themselves.
Worried about a sideboard Grip? :shrug:

Mouth Ze Dong
Jan 2, 2005

Aint no thing like me, 'cept me.
The guy running 4-color Delver had a decktech in which he said that Mizzium Skin "blanks Golgari Charm for 2 mana". I don't see how that's the case. Giving all your creatures hexproof won't make a difference with Golgari charm, as only one of its modes says "target", and that's for an enchantment.

Any idea what he was talking about?

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

End of Life Guy posted:

The guy running 4-color Delver had a decktech in which he said that Mizzium Skin "blanks Golgari Charm for 2 mana". I don't see how that's the case. Giving all your creatures hexproof won't make a difference with Golgari charm, as only one of its modes says "target", and that's for an enchantment.

Mizzium Skin gives +0/+1.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

End of Life Guy posted:

The other text on Mizzium Skin mentions giving +0/+1 so I bet it's that!

Loving Life Partner
Apr 17, 2003
Anyone watching the Dredge deck? I'm not familiar with legacy: What was happening at the start with Phantasmagorian? How was it affecting the game at all with no mana? Reading the card doesn't really explain anything.

Unless I missed something before that?

EDIT:
Oh wait, he draws to 8 then discards at end of turn?

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

...the person who says honestly that he despairs is closer to being cured than all those who are not regarded as despairing by themselves or others.

Loving Life Partner posted:

Anyone watching the Dredge deck? I'm not familiar with legacy: What was happening at the start with Phantasmagorian? How was it affecting the game at all with no mana? Reading the card doesn't really explain anything.

I missed the first couple turns, but this is Manaless Dredge; it draws first and never mulligans so it can discard its first draw to hand size. That's how it gets going.

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

Yes, this is why Manaless Dredge always wants to be on the draw.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
Needless to say, Manaless Dredge probably has the worst mulligans of any deck ever.

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

...the person who says honestly that he despairs is closer to being cured than all those who are not regarded as despairing by themselves or others.
Manaless Dredge is so hosed up and cool. It's like non-Euclidean Magic.

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

EDIT:

Okay, here's the back strategy for dredge:

Always go second and never mulligan. You can then draw a card and discard a card that turn. Phantasmagoria lets you drop it and then drop three more cards that will likely be relevant. It exists as an engine to get Bridge from Below cards, cards with dredge on them, and Dread Return cards from your hand into the graveyard where they belong.

L0cke17
Nov 29, 2013

Ramos posted:

Okay, here's the back strategy for dredge:

Always go second and never mulligan. You can then draw a card and discard a card that turn. Phantasmagoria lets you drop it and then drop three more cards that will likely be relevant. It exists as an engine to get Bridge from Below cards, cards with dredge on them, and Dread Return cards from your hand into the graveyard where they belong.

You can also activate Phantasmagorian, retain priority, activate again to discard 6 instead of 3.

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

L0cke17 posted:

You can also activate Phantasmagorian, retain priority, activate again to discard 6 instead of 3.

Oh cool. Dredge gets even more kick rear end.

L0cke17
Nov 29, 2013

Ramos posted:

Oh cool. Dredge gets even more kick rear end.

Its actually one of the more boring decks to play/play-against, at least the mana-less version is in my opinion.

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

L0cke17 posted:

Its actually one of the more boring decks to play/play-against, at least the mana-less version is in my opinion.

Agreed, Manaless Dredge is boring as hell to play against. It's sort of a fun puzzle to play sometimes but usually either you stomp or you Do Nothing. The absence of, you know, castable spells makes the going a little rough if you get disrupted.

edit: oh sorry, you CAN cast Unmasks.

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

I just love it as a theoretical exercise. It's really weird and neat that this is a thing that you can do with a tournament-legal Magic deck.

Promoted Pawn
Jun 8, 2005

oops

@efropoker posted:

Props to Berni for winning #gpphx and to @paulrietzl for catching Bertoncheaty cheating in the act. Kid caught a hanger!

Anybody have any info on this?

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

AgentSythe posted:

Agreed, Manaless Dredge is boring as hell to play against. It's sort of a fun puzzle to play sometimes but usually either you stomp or you Do Nothing. The absence of, you know, castable spells makes the going a little rough if you get disrupted.

edit: oh sorry, you CAN cast Unmasks.

and Therapy and Dread Return!

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx
Previews start in one minute! :ohdear:

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

And there's the card all the Enchantress players have asked for:

Now, all the Enchantress players explain why this isn't the card they have asked for!

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde

tzirean posted:

Now, all the Enchantress players explain why this isn't the card they have asked for!

Too expensive.

And isnt strive just multi-kicker?

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

tzirean posted:

Doesn't have Hexproof; can't windmill slam Eldrazi Conscription on to it.

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

tzirean posted:

Looks awesome, though I guess EDH players wish it were Legendary.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

tzirean posted:

It's a 4-mana 2/2, the best enchantress is a 2 mana 0/1 shroud and the second best one is a 3-mana enchantment.

It does have the advantage of drawing a card for itself, so there's definitely that.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
drat, was really hoping they'd come out swinging with new-Ajani.

taladel
Jun 3, 2011

Fezzin' the days away...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

L0cke17
Nov 29, 2013

tzirean posted:

No shroud...

• Locked thread