Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Syrant
Jun 28, 2006
This post is brought to you by: Goat Bouillabaise.

First 9
How should I go about trying to catch malboros at all? I had a TPK with one earlier because I was an idiot and lost an hours worth of monster hunting (that's on me, though), do I pretty much have to wait until I get ribbon or confuseproof and/or auto med?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE

Syrant posted:

How should I go about trying to catch malboros at all? I had a TPK with one earlier because I was an idiot and lost an hours worth of monster hunting (that's on me, though), do I pretty much have to wait until I get ribbon or confuseproof and/or auto med?

One viable strategy is to equip Tidus with the First Strike weapon you hopefully bought at Macalania (can be customized with a Return Sphere if you didn't buy it), swap him in for Yuna and then summon an aeon to whittle the Malboro down with - Aeons are immune to all negative statuses except Curse, so you're good there. Alternatively, the weapon ability Initiative should serve the same purpose - O'aka was selling one for Auron back during Operation Mi'ihen, and if you didn't get that, you can customize it with 6 Chocobo Feathers.

Fight Club Sandwich
Apr 29, 2006

you want a piece of me???

Syrant posted:

First strike + provoke. Provoked Malboros don't use bad breath so long as you don't swap the provoker out.

Initiative is better than first strike in 99% of cases but Great Malboros in Omega Ruins will ambush you regardless of initiative so you need first strike there

Syrant
Jun 28, 2006
This post is brought to you by: Goat Bouillabaise.

First 9
Awesome, I did pick up the first-strike weapon and I think Tidus may actually have provoke atop that. Thanks for the advice, you two.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Syrant posted:

Awesome, I did pick up the first-strike weapon and I think Tidus may actually have provoke atop that. Thanks for the advice, you two.
Auron's ultimate weapon also has First Strike built-in and iirc it's pretty easy to get his Crest and Sigil.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

The White Dragon posted:

Auron's ultimate weapon also has First Strike built-in and iirc it's pretty easy to get his Crest and Sigil.

It does indeed and its arguably easier to get than Yunas. Auron is the best.

crestfallen
Aug 2, 2009

Hi.
Don't you have to capture a ton of enemies to get one of Auron's celestial thingies?

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

crestfallen posted:

Don't you have to capture a ton of enemies to get one of Auron's celestial thingies?

You need to get ten Area or Species Conquests, which only takes an hour or two and isn't very difficult.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Anything else you should be buying from Oaka? I got Tidus first strike which is useful, although by default he almost always has brotherhood instead. Wakka has had the stone touch ball for a long time, that thing is great. Also I can customize stonestrike now but I think it would take hours of stealing so nah. Otherwise nothing else.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

Anything else you should be buying from Oaka? I got Tidus first strike which is useful, although by default he almost always has brotherhood instead. Wakka has had the stone touch ball for a long time, that thing is great. Also I can customize stonestrike now but I think it would take hours of stealing so nah. Otherwise nothing else.

First Strike's the only real standout on the list, though the T.K.O. is also nice. Aside from that, O'aka has a few things now and again, but nothing you should break the bank on - get them if you like them.

I do remember he sells a Water Ward armlet for Kimahri in Macalania, which is only notable since that's the only element the destruction treasure from Kilika doesn't guard against.

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE
As far as non-O'aka equipment goes though, there is a unique shield for Tidus being sold by the guy in the hover, in the Calm Lands. It has Magic Counter on it, which is normally a weapon ability. It's not half bad.

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

Does magic counter work against monster abilities? Or just the black magic spells?

Golden Goat fucked around with this message at 12:44 on Apr 7, 2014

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE
It works on anything that can be halved by Shell, as far as I'm aware.

Hoffadoff
Sep 27, 2008

I Wanna Rock Your Body
(till the break of dawn)
If you are trying to catch Great Malboros they only get the jump on you in the omega ruins. If you capture them in sin they don't get the ambush every battle just the 12.5% or whatever the norm is.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Fungah! posted:

You need to get ten Area or Species Conquests, which only takes an hour or two and isn't very difficult.

Plus catching the sets gives you piles of top notch crafting materials as well so its not as though you get nothing until the very end. In fact, I think thats why I like Yuna and Auron's celestials the most; you can make steady progress you get rewards each time (and if you have to go back with Yuna endgame you get bonus treasures and cutscenes) and the main difficulty is simply a time investment.

Screw you Chocobo Trainer.

abagofcheetos
Oct 29, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Played a bunch of FFXIV over the weekend on the PS4, and I have to say it seems REALLY good. They stole basically everything good from Guild Wars 2, and but it still retains a whole bunch of its own unique identity (I didn't play FFXI, so seeing Final Fantasy things in an MMO is still novel to me). I will definitely be subscribing for a few months this summer when I have more time to play. I'm also surprised how well it plays with a controller, I didn't bother hooking a mouse/keyboard up for the weekend but I'd imagine it will be even better.

ShadeofDante
Feb 17, 2007

speaking of minds! know what's on mine? murders.

abagofcheetos posted:

Played a bunch of FFXIV over the weekend on the PS4, and I have to say it seems REALLY good. They stole basically everything good from Guild Wars 2, and but it still retains a whole bunch of its own unique identity (I didn't play FFXI, so seeing Final Fantasy things in an MMO is still novel to me). I will definitely be subscribing for a few months this summer when I have more time to play. I'm also surprised how well it plays with a controller, I didn't bother hooking a mouse/keyboard up for the weekend but I'd imagine it will be even better.

XIV is one of the few MMOs out there that actually put a lot of thought and effort into making controllers actually work. There is a vocal minority on the PC side claiming that you can never be as good as a K+M player if you use a controller but that's pretty much false.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
Having played it with a controller, I will hold to the opinion that it's actually easier using a controller than a keyboard. There was a point where literally the only reason I used my keyboard was for chat.

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

I finally started playing FFX (I never played it when it first came out, but I bought X-2 for some reason). Good lord, is there any way to skip scenes or speed up dialogue or anything? To me, this whole game is like movie --> boss --> movie --> boss --> boss --> movie --> movie --> mini-game.

Don't get me wrong, I'm having some fun with it, but I wish it would kinda pick up the pace a little. I just got up to Belgemine on the Highroads, so I'm still pretty early in the game.

And any suggestions for Kimahri? He's like smack dab in the middle of a bunch of branch/overlap possibilities to other characters' sphere grids. Also, are any of his Lancet abilities useable outside of being an overdrive? Because that's just retarded.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

LadyPictureShow posted:

I finally started playing FFX (I never played it when it first came out, but I bought X-2 for some reason). Good lord, is there any way to skip scenes or speed up dialogue or anything? To me, this whole game is like movie --> boss --> movie --> boss --> boss --> movie --> movie --> mini-game.

Don't get me wrong, I'm having some fun with it, but I wish it would kinda pick up the pace a little. I just got up to Belgemine on the Highroads, so I'm still pretty early in the game.

And any suggestions for Kimahri? He's like smack dab in the middle of a bunch of branch/overlap possibilities to other characters' sphere grids. Also, are any of his Lancet abilities useable outside of being an overdrive? Because that's just retarded.

Nope. The laughing scene's really the worst bit, I think.

Take Kimahri either through Rikku, Tidus or Wakka's paths. Tidus or Wakka gives you a decently strong Tidus/Wakka-lite with Piercing weapons and the ability to regenerate MP, going through Rikku's (the one directly downwards) gets Steal and Use faster than Rikku will, and it also opens up opportunities to maximize his Agility and Magic as well as access Yuna's abilities faster than she will.

And no, Ronso Rages are limited to Overdrives only. Also keep in mind all his offensive Overdrives run off Magic, even things like Jump.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!

LadyPictureShow posted:

That's why people were so irritated about the lack of scene skip in the remake.

Definitely at least get Kimahri steal; it lets you get it faster than usual, and it's very useful in at least one battle that Kimahri has to fight solo.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Schwartzcough posted:

That's why people were so irritated about the lack of scene skip in the remake.

Definitely at least get Kimahri steal; it lets you get it faster than usual, and it's very useful in at least one battle that Kimahri has to fight solo.

My friend basically had the entire pre-yunalesca dialog down by memory thanks to dying to her a few times.

ShadeofDante
Feb 17, 2007

speaking of minds! know what's on mine? murders.

Barudak posted:

My friend basically had the entire pre-yunalesca dialog down by memory thanks to dying to her a few times.

NOW! THIS IS IT! NOW IS THE TIME TO CHOOSE! DIE AND BE FREE OF PAIN OR LIVE AND FIGHT YOUR SORROW! YOUR FATE IS IN YOUR HANDS!

:shepicide:

abagofcheetos
Oct 29, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Barudak posted:

I get to hear it again later today :suicide:

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax
The one thing that's really clear about FFX--perhaps why it endures and is still beloved while new FF's, like 13, are not--is that the whole thing feels like a really big labor of love. There was clearly a vision and a goal to the narrative, the world design, the various intersecting character arcs, the themes--and the gameplay was clearly given a lot of consideration too. This was a game that expanded, rather than contracted, the customization options within the franchise. It wasn't on par with FF5 in that regard, but it's probably one of the more open-ended Final Fantasies with a lot of cool options for how you build your characters and address various battle challenges, especially for the optional fights.

I don't think they'll ever really manage to make anything as good as FFX again with their current design philosophies.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

Barudak posted:

This, but for the pre-Riku fight in the first Kingdom Hearts game.
"It is I, ANSEM - The SEEKER OF DARKNESS! Complete the keyhole with YOUR POWER! Lead me INTO EVERLASTING DARKNESS!"

God, the days before the "Skip Cutscene" option...and yet here we have FFX:HD lacking that. :shepface:

Pesky Splinter fucked around with this message at 20:21 on Apr 7, 2014

Krad
Feb 4, 2008

Touche

Pesky Splinter posted:

God, the days before the "Skip Cutscene" option...and yet here we have FFX:HD lacking that. :shepface:

I just hope they give XII HD to the Kingdom Hearts HD guys. :(

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!
The only reason X:HD doesn't have cutscene skip is because it never did in the original International version. KH1.5HD has it because it was in Final Mix. It wasn't arbitrarily added in one case but not the other.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
2014 Anno Dominae and we cannot add a loving scene skip function with the infinite technology for a 2002 PS2 game.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Orgia Carnaval posted:

2014 Anno Dominae and we cannot add a loving scene skip function with the infinite technology for a 2002 PS2 game.

We can, however, remove the model riggings that made the faces change emotion so that cutscenes become nonsensical.

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I think there are a bunch of people who can create trailing images. I know some who could do this as if they were just going out for a stroll.

Dragonatrix posted:

The only reason X:HD doesn't have cutscene skip is because it never did in the original International version. KH1.5HD has it because it was in Final Mix. It wasn't arbitrarily added in one case but not the other.

Incorrect! The original PS2 Kingdom Hearts: Final Mix did not have a traditional cutscene skip. The only way to skip cutscenes there was to watch the cutscene once, die to the boss after it, and upon retrying the game asks you if you want to watch or skip the cutscene before it starts again. It did not have the ability to Start -> Skip Scene.

I suspect that means that KH's cutscenes were already made in a way that easily allows the engine to skip them without averse effects, and they just surfaced the option to the pause menu for the HD release, but I could be wrong. The point is that, yes, they did actually add a normal cutscene skip feature to KH HD but not to FFX HD.

Admiral H. Curtiss fucked around with this message at 01:09 on Apr 8, 2014

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Orgia Carnaval posted:

The Last Of Us has unskippable cutscenes (the in-engine ones, ie most of them).

Maybe S-E thought people actually wanted to play FFX to see the story again instead of grind Don Tonberries for 70 hours to get someone a new sword?

Barudak
May 7, 2007

precision posted:

The Last Of Us has unskippable cutscenes (the in-engine ones, ie most of them).

Maybe S-E thought people actually wanted to play FFX to see the story again instead of grind Don Tonberries for 70 hours to get someone a new sword?

Those people can choose not to skip the cutscenes???

Captain Mog
Jun 17, 2011
Is there any loving way to stop the fiends inside Sin from ambushing me, taking three turns each, and one-shotting my whole loving party? I've seriously taken out every boss up until now with ease and yet somehow they're killing me before I can even move.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Barudak posted:

What if they accidentally hit the button!? No, we can't have that happen, it's better to just not have it.

I'm choosing to believe this is the reason why, because it means that Square believes that the only people who care about the story are idiots.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Barudak posted:

Obviously. My greater point was that there are lots of games with unskippable cutscenes. Arkham City has them too, I think. It's hardly an industry standard, and S-E can hardly be blamed too harshly for not putting the feature in a story-driven RPG.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

precision posted:

Obviously. My greater point was that there are lots of games with unskippable cutscenes. Arkham City has them too, I think. It's hardly an industry standard, and S-E can hardly be blamed too harshly for not putting the feature in a story-driven RPG.

Yes they can, because those things can drag on forever and are often very bad. Action games like AC shouldn't have them either, but at least they're often mercifully brief.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn

Admiral H. Curtiss posted:

The point is that, yes, they did actually add a normal cutscene skip feature to KH HD but not to FFX HD.

As I recall they didn't have the source code for KH1 so they pretty much remade it. And while they were doing that, hey might as well add cutscene skip.

Meanwhile FFX HD was done by some low budget outside developer, so yeah they're not going to bother with the effort of changing much.

Tempo 119
Apr 17, 2006

They didn't do too much to the cutscenes because then they'd have to watch all of them to test it, and who would want to do that?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Oxxidation posted:

Yes they can, because those things can drag on forever and are often very bad. Action games like AC shouldn't have them either, but at least they're often mercifully brief.

:shrug: I finished replaying FFX a couple days ago and didn't find any of the cutscenes to be very/overly long.

It's much worse that you can't skip 45-minute long conversations in 7, 8 and 9 except by reading a book while hitting X every couple seconds.

e: lotta people who want to replay FFX hating FFX in here