Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Hey quick help needed. I've got a brisket and a pork shoulder in the smoker. Pork shoulder is done and brisket is almost done according to probes.

Its in a electric smoker set to 225. Can I just lower the temp on the smoker to hold it until guests arrive? 13lb brisket finished in 10 hours. Was expecting 12.

If so what temp should I hold it at to keep warm ?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crazy Dutchman
Oct 20, 2004

jonathan posted:

Hey quick help needed. I've got a brisket and a pork shoulder in the smoker. Pork shoulder is done and brisket is almost done according to probes.

Its in a electric smoker set to 225. Can I just lower the temp on the smoker to hold it until guests arrive? 13lb brisket finished in 10 hours. Was expecting 12.

If so what temp should I hold it at to keep warm ?

Wrap it a towel (assuming its already in foil), and throw it in a cooler. This will keep it hot for at least several hours. I do this all the time.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
Wrapping in a towel is the normal process since it's almost impossible to get a pork shoulder to finish at a particular time. I've held it in a cooler for 3 hours and it was still very hot. My dog was far too excited about the towel after I took it out :3:

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Yeah I can't do the towel and cooler because the cooler is full of ice and beer.

I didn't foil the brisket this time as I tried that last time and didn't like the bark.

Next time I will buy a meat cooler. I read some other forums that said to set the smoker to 170f and leave the meat in at that temp and it shouldn't dry out.

loving low n slow is always finished hours early or hours late. Next time I'm gonna tell the guests there us a 4 hour window.

VERTiG0
Jul 11, 2001

go move over bro

jonathan posted:

loving low n slow is always finished hours early or hours late. Next time I'm gonna tell the guests there us a 4 hour window.

Haha, it's so true. I don't bother doing long cooks when I'm having people by, as I've had a few situations where people are none too pleased that food is gonna be another 3 hours.

Crazy Dutchman
Oct 20, 2004

jonathan posted:

Yeah I can't do the towel and cooler because the cooler is full of ice and beer.

I didn't foil the brisket this time as I tried that last time and didn't like the bark.

Next time I will buy a meat cooler. I read some other forums that said to set the smoker to 170f and leave the meat in at that temp and it shouldn't dry out.

Another alternative would be turn the oven on, let it heat up, then turn it off. Put the towel-wrapped meat in there.

coronaball
Feb 6, 2005

You're finished, pork-o-nazi!

jonathan posted:

Every man needs a minimum of two coolers, one for beer and one for food. Otherwise what the hell do you do when you go camping?

You can also just set your oven to the lowest possible temperature (mine is 170) and put the food in there and it will be fine for multiple hours.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

coronaball posted:

Every man needs a minimum of two coolers, one for beer and one for food. Otherwise what the hell do you do when you go camping?

You can also just set your oven to the lowest possible temperature (mine is 170) and put the food in there and it will be fine for multiple hours.

I used to have a few but then girlfriend and booze and river etc.

So tge local Home Hardware sells maverick thermometers. Can someone recommend one to get that uses a probe ?

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

18lb bag of royal oak lump at Home Depot price matched to walmart's 8 dollar sale. Ends Saturday.

Rand alPaul
Feb 3, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
I once had a pork shoulder finish 90 minutes before guests arrived. I was so loving impressed with myself. Made up for that 15 lbs brisket I ruined by falling asleep :(

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014
So how did your early shoulder come out?

Trastion
Jul 24, 2003
The one and only.
I posted this in the quick questions/recipe thread but thought maybe it would be better and/or get more response here.

I am thinking about making a good sized Beef Brisket in my electric smoker. This will be the first brisket I do and I am wondering if anyone has any recipes for using the leftover meat afterwards. I will use a bunch of it for a main meal and sandwiches but it will be a LOT for my family so there will be plenty of leftovers.

I also have to go to a gathering where I need to bring a dish and thought maybe I could use it in some sort of dish. I am not really looking for things like brisket sandwiches or main dish type things though. Some sort of side dish / hors d'oeuvres type thing.

Another question i would like an answer to if possible is will I see any advantage to vacuum sealing my brisket with the rub on it when I let in sit in the fridge for a day? We have a vacuum sealer that doesn't get used much but I don't want to ruin it or something.

PhotoKirk
Jul 2, 2007

insert witty text here

Trastion posted:

I posted this in the quick questions/recipe thread but thought maybe it would be better and/or get more response here.

I am thinking about making a good sized Beef Brisket in my electric smoker. This will be the first brisket I do and I am wondering if anyone has any recipes for using the leftover meat afterwards. I will use a bunch of it for a main meal and sandwiches but it will be a LOT for my family so there will be plenty of leftovers.

I also have to go to a gathering where I need to bring a dish and thought maybe I could use it in some sort of dish. I am not really looking for things like brisket sandwiches or main dish type things though. Some sort of side dish / hors d'oeuvres type thing.

Another question i would like an answer to if possible is will I see any advantage to vacuum sealing my brisket with the rub on it when I let in sit in the fridge for a day? We have a vacuum sealer that doesn't get used much but I don't want to ruin it or something.

Chop it up coarse and put it in chili or BBQ beans. (NOT OPENING THAT CAN OF WORMS). You can also dice it up fine and stuff peppers with it. Brisket-stuffed jalapeņos are good. It also goes well in queso.

Ben Nevis
Jan 20, 2011

Trastion posted:

I've seen deviled eggs with brisket in them.

VERTiG0
Jul 11, 2001

go move over bro

Trastion posted:

Brisket poutine.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT
Now I want both brisket deviled eggs and brisket poutine....

Trastion
Jul 24, 2003
The one and only.

PhotoKirk posted:

Chop it up coarse and put it in chili or BBQ beans. (NOT OPENING THAT CAN OF WORMS). You can also dice it up fine and stuff peppers with it. Brisket-stuffed jalapeņos are good. It also goes well in queso.

I like the Chili idea though I think I will try it without beans or worms.

Ben Nevis posted:

I've seen deviled eggs with brisket in them.

I think this may be one to try this time as it should be pretty simple. I will try to find a recipe for some good deviled eggs.

VERTiG0 posted:

Brisket poutine.

This one might be good for at home events but not sure about making poutine to take on the road to someone else house. I would want hot crispy fries.

Thanks for the idea. I may not use any of the brisket for this weekends party and just save it to make my own stuff during the week though. Depends if I have time to make something once the brisket gets done as I will be cooking it Sat morning and the party is Sat evening.

Ahdinko
Oct 27, 2007

WHAT A LOVELY DAY

Trastion posted:

I'm not sure vacuum sealing the brisket would benefit it in anyway, I just left mine wrapped in cling film (saran wrap?) on a plate and it was still plenty moist after a day in the fridge with the rub on

McSpankWich
Aug 31, 2005

Plum Island Animal Disease Research Center. Sounds charming.
I tried brisket and pulled pork empanadas once, they were awesome. Fill the shells with cheese of choice, whichever meat, and then some blended up cole slaw to make into a sort of sauce, close them up and deep fry to perfection.

You could sub in any bbq sauce for the cole slaw, or put the cole slaw inside and bbq outside for dipping. We tried like 5 different variations that day, some more successful than others, but drat they were good.

BulimicGoat
Mar 19, 2007
Brisket Mac n cheese

feelz good man
Jan 21, 2007

deal with it

This was my first time smoking anything for more than an hour. Dry rubbed and then smoked over applewood for five hours, then finished on mesquite for the last hour. Homemade coffee and molasses barbecue sauce. This is the best drat barbecue I have had in a long time. :)

KTS
Jun 22, 2004

I wax my rocket every day!
Wife bought me a Chargriller offset for my birthday earlier this year along with a wireless probe. My first experiment on it was some pastrami, turned out not too bad

Did some ribs & corn for some friends a few weeks ago but the ribs were a bit too dry, still getting the hang of temp control. Doing some pulled pork and ribs tomorrow, maybe make a fatty as well.
Would love to try some brisket but being in Australia can't seem to find it, not sure if the cut is called something else over here, any suggestions?

Aaronicon
Oct 2, 2010

A BLOO BLOO ANYONE I DISAGREE WITH IS A "BAD PERSON" WHO DESERVES TO DIE PLEEEASE DONT FALL ALL OVER YOURSELF WHITEWASHING THEM A BLOO BLOO

KTS posted:

Would love to try some brisket but being in Australia can't seem to find it, not sure if the cut is called something else over here, any suggestions?

It's still called brisket over here, it's just that it's so uncommon a cut that most butchers don't bother stocking it as a regular product, and when you do order it in, it's usually expensive because they have to go out of their way to save it from being turned into dog food or servo pies. Your best bet if you're in a city is to check out a good Asian butcher, or substitute with another cut (usually a pre-pickling silverside)

KTS
Jun 22, 2004

I wax my rocket every day!
Awesome, thanks. Had a hell of a time even getting some racks of ribs from the butcher today, and could only get a boneless shoulder (which is what I've used in the past for slow cooker pulled pork)
I'm in the outer south east of Melbourne but not too far to track down an Asian butcher when I attempt brisket.

Does anyone have suggestions for a decent guage thermometer? I'm going to do some mods to my offset and want to add two guages at grate level but there is a wide variety that I've seen while looking and no idea what's worth buying.

Flatulence Jones
May 21, 2012
Got bored today so decided to smoke a small pork shoulder on the egg:

My main problem is producing consistent smoke. In the past I've tried soaked chips, today I threw 4 or 5 chunks of pecan in there. Either way I get good smoke for 30-45 minutes and then it peters out. Do I just need to add more every hour or so? It's problematic with the grill and platesetter in. I love the egg for its versatility but it seems that a dedicated smoker excels in this particular area. Anyone have any advice?

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014

Flatulence Jones posted:

My main problem is producing consistent smoke. In the past I've tried soaked chips, today I threw 4 or 5 chunks of pecan in there. Either way I get good smoke for 30-45 minutes and then it peters out. Do I just need to add more every hour or so? It's problematic with the grill and platesetter in. I love the egg for its versatility but it seems that a dedicated smoker excels in this particular area. Anyone have any advice?

Soaking wood is not good for BBQ. You don't want white smoke, you want clear/blue smoke.

http://amazingribs.com/tips_and_technique/mythbusting_soaking_wood.html

and

http://amazingribs.com/tips_and_technique/zen_of_wood.html

quote:

Blue smoke is the holy grail of low and slow pitmasters. Dr. Blonder explains that the color depends on the particle size and how it scatters and reflects light to our eyes. Pale blue smoke particles are the smallest, under a micron in size, about the size of the wavelength of light. Pure white smoke consists of larger particles, a few microns in size, and they scatter all wavelengths in all directions. Gray and black smoke contains particles large enough to actually absorb some of the light and colors.

If you are cooking hot and fast, white smoke is a great way to get some smoke flavor on the food in a hurry. But white smoke usually has a lot of contaminants from an incomplete secondary combustion and prolonged exposure to white smoke can still make good food, but not as good a blue smoke.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Flatulence Jones posted:

Use chunks and disperse them throughout your lump and it should work better.

Stubear St. Pierre
Feb 22, 2006

Hello thread! Finally bought a WSM 18.5" after about 8 years of grilling and 6 months of deliberation and reading basically every word on amazingribs.com, two of these threads and several other places. It was basically either the WSM 18.5" or a large BGE, and I opted for the one that isn't breakable, costs less than half as much, doesn't hide their prices (only local "authorized" dealer here that has a website sells for $150 over MSRP) and doesn't charge people $100 just for a stand. Still planning on buying a BGE eventually.

Anyway, did up ribs for the first time this weekend, third smoke overall after some pepper stout beef and a meatloaf two weeks ago. I just seasoned them with Old Bay because this is Maryland and I'm lazy. On two slabs I used Chris Lilly's spiced apricot glaze. I HIGHLY recommend it, and it's super easy to make (it's basically four ingredients and then just little dashes of about 10 or so more), as well as goddamn delicious. The other two I just left dry, and there was enough crust and smoke that they were pretty much perfect. Used two chunks of apple and two of pecan and then added another chunk of each about 40 or 50 minutes in. Basically just let em sit for 6 hours at 215-230 (still working on that), then took them out; didn't do the Texas Crutch or 3-2-1 or anything and they turned out fine, if slightly dry in places.

I did the "roll 'em up and skewer" method since they were a bit too long:

Clearly passing the "bend test:"

And the money shot:

Now all I have to do is replicate this. Over and over again. Every single weekend. Forever.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Congrats! You've got a very capable smoker. Ribs look good too. I'm not sold on the old bay seasoning but what do I know. I would smoke the hell out of some crab cakes though.

When you want a BGE just go to Craigslist. I see 1 in Baltimore for 850 with a ton of accessories. Looks like a solid deal. Or wait for a sale locally and negotiate. You have to be patient but there's no reason to pay list price.

Question for the thread: I just used up all of my dizzy pig seasoning. Any other recommendations? I usually make em at home but I really enjoyed the sampler from dizzy.

Stubear St. Pierre
Feb 22, 2006

Yeah, even if you're going to go store-bought I doubt Old Bay is the best choice, but my family puts it on basically everything. I plan on getting some Dizzy Pig stuff soon just to try it, any recommendations if I'm gonna get 3-5?

I had looked on Craigslist but at the time there were just a couple and they weren't in great shape. I plan on going that route when I do get one though, just didn't want to get something used and possibly not in great condition when I was just starting out. The WSM is great though, the newer models even have a rubber gasket for probe wires.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
I like the coarse dizzy dust for most slow and low cooking. Shaking the tree is a good lemon pepper style rub and raising the steaks is a good beef rub. Swamp venom and firewalker are spicy but probably not considered authentic but good nonetheless.

Raging river is OK but too sweet imo but can be good on salmon.

PhotoKirk
Jul 2, 2007

insert witty text here
Shameless self-promotion: Our show (King of the Grill) will be airing again on Destination America on Tuesday morning. The smoked gator was very, very good. I wish they had included the footage of the hog hunt and smoked whole hog. Ah, well...

Bone_Enterprise
Aug 9, 2005

Inception Cigars
www.inceptioncigars.com

PhotoKirk posted:

Shameless self-promotion: Our show (King of the Grill) will be airing again on Destination America on Tuesday morning. The smoked gator was very, very good. I wish they had included the footage of the hog hunt and smoked whole hog. Ah, well...

Nice, I still need to come by the shop and check the place out.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Get the dizzy pig sampler pack if you haven't had any of em before.

McSpankWich
Aug 31, 2005

Making your own rub is super cheap, extremely easy, and never goes bad... there's not really any reason to not do it. Plus you can tailor it to your personal preference the more smokes you do so that it tastes just how you like it. For pork I started with this:

1 Tbsp cumin
1 Tbsp garlic powder
1 Tbsp onion powder
1 Tbsp chili powder (homemade is preferable)
1 Tbsp cayenne or chipotle
1 Tbsp salt
1 Tbsp black pepper
1 Tbsp paprika
1/2 cup brown sugar

I've experimented with more or less of most of the ingredients, and tried ground ginger, rosemary, thyme, or random other herbs/spices just to see how they taste. Once I get it to a place I really like I'm going to buy the huge containers at Sams and make a giant batch that I can just shake on everything I do. It lasts forever and is way cheaper than buying premade rubs and having them shipped.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer
The Amazing Ribs guy's pork rub is amazing. His "secret" ingredients are powdered ginger and rosemary. The ginger especially works so well, it adds a ton of depth without even really being identifiable.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

I usually do a similar rub. I like the variety of some "off the shelf" stuff too and often it'll provide a good inspiration for adding a different flavor.

I should get a spice grinder though so everything can be uniform size rather than fighting it settling or separating while I am dusting.

McSpankWich
Aug 31, 2005

Yea, the ginger was probably my favorite random thing I added. I've never tried buying whole spices and grinding them, but if it's similar at all to making your own chili powder vs store bought then I should probably start it like right away. It really is like night and day, the difference is amazing. It's super easy too. Just toss a variety of chilis in a pan with some cumin seeds, toast them up and grind away. I don't have a spice grinder either, but my roommate has a magic bullet that I defiled to make the powder.

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014
i wonder how a touch of curry would do going into a rub.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

davey4283
Aug 14, 2006
Fallen Rib
I decided to do spare ribs (beef and pork) along with bacon wrapped corn on the cob and bacon wrapped hotdogs today.

All four of these items are new to me so I'm pretty excited about it. I've only ever smoked baby back ribs in the past but everyone in this thread raves about the spares so I figured I'd give it a shot. Will post a trip report later today.