Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

iostream.h
Mar 14, 2006
I want your happy place to slap you as it flies by.

The 11 Rack is great too, shows up as an audio output device so you can play along to your MP3's easily.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Day Man
Jul 30, 2007

Champion of the Sun!

Master of karate and friendship...
for everyone!

I just picked up a Vox Valvetronix modeling amp for practice duty yesterday. I absolutely love it! I always wanted to be able to play around with a bunch of effects. So much fun!

Ghost of Reagan Past
Oct 7, 2003

rock and roll fun

Kekekela posted:

Cube and Orange are the two most generally goon-loved practice amp brands right?
I love my Super Champ X2. It's a bit more expensive than most low-wattage practice amps, but it gets loving loud and has some great tones. And if you claim to tell the difference between it and pure tube amps you're a loving liar.

The Mustang is really awesome though.

Dirt
May 26, 2003

Ghost of Reagan Past posted:

I love my Super Champ X2. It's a bit more expensive than most low-wattage practice amps, but it gets loving loud and has some great tones. And if you claim to tell the difference between it and pure tube amps you're a loving liar.

How is the clean channel on the super champ? I know it has multiple voices and all that. But can it do that "Fender clean drenched in reverb" that Fender is famous for?

Ghost of Reagan Past
Oct 7, 2003

rock and roll fun

Dirt posted:

How is the clean channel on the super champ? I know it has multiple voices and all that. But can it do that "Fender clean drenched in reverb" that Fender is famous for?
Yeah. It's quite a nice channel and I spend most of my time with it. The Princeton voices are pretty sweet, too, and shouldn't be discounted for the classic Fender sound either. I don't mess with the effects much but the default setup has a "classic Fender spring reverb" on reverb 3 and it sounds pretty nice.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

muike posted:

It's not a single-sized hum, it's a minihumbucker, like an LP Deluxe.

You can't gently caress it up, nah. Pickups are really simple and hard to damage unless you start going after the windings with wirecutters.

I'd take them out to be honest. Minihums are going to be trebly but those are thin as hell. Allparts and GFS both make quite a few minihumbuckers, and if you're after a more P90-ish sound you can also get gold foil pickups from Allparts (70 a set and that's probably what I would do if I were to pickup another one)

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
If I can find someone to make me pickguards on the cheap (i.e. not the 75 bucks that my local guys charge) I'll probably end up trying some weird poo poo, but i'll have to route it out for sure

Dirt
May 26, 2003

Yeah. It's quite a nice channel and I spend most of my time with it. The Princeton voices are pretty sweet, too, and shouldn't be discounted for the classic Fender sound either. I don't mess with the effects much but the default setup has a "classic Fender spring reverb" on reverb 3 and it sounds pretty nice.

Hmmmmm, I am really leaning towards buying the head version of it.

Thanks for the input.

booshi
Aug 14, 2004

:tastykake:||||||||||:tastykake:
Cross post from the ugly guitars thread in GBS where we were talking about Super Hard On clones for a while:

Water slide decals are working great. In the next few days I'll be starting the thread for SHO clone orders!

Hollis Brownsound
Apr 2, 2009

by Lowtax

booshi posted:

Cross post from the ugly guitars thread in GBS where we were talking about Super Hard On clones for a while:

Water slide decals are working great. In the next few days I'll be starting the thread for SHO clone orders!

Thats a pretty amazing name for that btw.

E-Money
Nov 12, 2005

Got Out.
I'm a former classical guitarist and wanted to get back into playing again. Was thinking about picking up a reasonable electric that will keep me happy for a while. I was leaning towards an epiphone les paul after playing around. I really like the versatility of the plus top pros with the coil-split probuckers. Is it worth the extra $100? It seems lie a good deal, but then i wonder for $500, could I be getting a lot more guitar for my money? I really liked the body shape and the fast action. I played a few teles and strats as well as an epiphone SG and the LP was my favorite by far.

If i was willing to go as high as $500, and was looking for a versatile single guitar to get back in the game, am I setting my money on fire?

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
No. If you liked it, just go for it.

Kanish
Jun 17, 2004

Anyone have any experience in paying for Artistworks? I know theres so much in the way of free youtube stuff, but I wouldnt mind paying for some structure and high-quality lessons.

Im specifically looking at the Flat picking bluegrass course.

Dirt
May 26, 2003

E-Money posted:

I'm a former classical guitarist and wanted to get back into playing again. Was thinking about picking up a reasonable electric that will keep me happy for a while. I was leaning towards an epiphone les paul after playing around. I really like the versatility of the plus top pros with the coil-split probuckers. Is it worth the extra $100? It seems lie a good deal, but then i wonder for $500, could I be getting a lot more guitar for my money? I really liked the body shape and the fast action. I played a few teles and strats as well as an epiphone SG and the LP was my favorite by far.

If i was willing to go as high as $500, and was looking for a versatile single guitar to get back in the game, am I setting my money on fire?

500 bucks can nab you a nice used guitar if you are near a place that sells used stuff. Could probably find a lower end Gibson(like the 60s tribute) or a lower end American Fender for around there. Also Schecter's can be found dirt cheap used, and they are awesome guitars for the price, often coming with Seymour Duncan pickups installed.

But Epiphone Les Pauls are nice. Checkout http://www.rondomusic.com/ too, everyone here seems to like them.

Dirt fucked around with this message at 04:22 on Apr 7, 2014

Ghost of Reagan Past
Oct 7, 2003

rock and roll fun

Dirt posted:

Hmmmmm, I am really leaning towards buying the head version of it.

Thanks for the input.
You'll probably want the footswitch (speaking of which my local music store ordered one for me a loving month ago and I still don't have it...). It also doesn't have a mid control on the amp; you'd have to plug in the software to adjust the mids. If you want I can make some recordings of various tones this week, though it'll be recorded via the USB speaker emulator, not the combo, so I can't say it'll sound representative of your cab or even the combo speaker. Let me know a few voices/effects you'd like to hear and I can record some stuff, probably on Tuesday. There are very few demos on Youtube of it for some weird reason.

Warcabbit
Apr 26, 2008

Wedge Regret
As it happens, I have some experience. GFS has both ceramic and alnico minihums. The ceramic is bright as hell, but the alnico might be what you need.
(My second JT90 came with a dead minihum so I took the chance to experiment a bit. The Mini 59 is warm and rich.)
One issue here is if the mount screws in to the minihum (firebird style) or if it screws in to the guitar (gibson style)

http://www.guitarfetish.com/Fat-Mini-Fat-Alnico-V-Magnets-Chrome-Case-Our-Best-Neck-Position_p_492.html
With video!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iVbMbd3kdAE

Dirt
May 26, 2003

You'll probably want the footswitch (speaking of which my local music store ordered one for me a loving month ago and I still don't have it...). It also doesn't have a mid control on the amp; you'd have to plug in the software to adjust the mids. If you want I can make some recordings of various tones this week, though it'll be recorded via the USB speaker emulator, not the combo, so I can't say it'll sound representative of your cab or even the combo speaker. Let me know a few voices/effects you'd like to hear and I can record some stuff, probably on Tuesday. There are very few demos on Youtube of it for some weird reason.

You're awesome. I'm just interested in the clean sounds. I have an Orange 1x12 cab and the OR-15 Head. The Overdrive is amazing on it, but I miss the "fender clean" sound. I gigged with a 4x10 Super Reverb for years, and I miss that "generic Fender clean tone with reverb" so much. I am considering buying a Deluxe Reverb/Princeton Reverb or something, but I'd rather not drop a grand if I don't have to :D I don't gig anymore, so a lower wattage amp would be totally fine for home use. The Champ sounds, in theory like exactly what I am looking for.

You don't have to go out of your way to record anything, but do you think the Champ will do what I want? Just that nice Fender clean reverb tone, it's hard to describe but I know you know what I mean haha

E-Money
Nov 12, 2005

Got Out.

Dirt posted:

500 bucks can nab you a nice used guitar if you are near a place that sells used stuff. Could probably find a lower end Gibson(like the 60s tribute) or a lower end American Fender for around there. Also Schecter's can be found dirt cheap used, and they are awesome guitars for the price, often coming with Seymour Duncan pickups installed.

But Epiphone Les Pauls are nice. Checkout http://www.rondomusic.com/ too, everyone here seems to like them.

Yeah i live in NYC so we've got a pretty robust craigslist market if i have the patience for it. I don't have a problem going used if it's more for my money, but at the same time i keep coming back to the body, action, and versatility. The goal is to stick with one guitar for at least a year or two and if I stick with it/figure out what I want to play, I can expand from there. I'm heartened by the encouragement that I'm not just setting my money on fire.

If I went with Rondo, which of the Agiles is the preferred LP clone?

Dirt
May 26, 2003

E-Money posted:

Yeah i live in NYC so we've got a pretty robust craigslist market if i have the patience for it. I don't have a problem going used if it's more for my money, but at the same time i keep coming back to the body, action, and versatility. The goal is to stick with one guitar for at least a year or two and if I stick with it/figure out what I want to play, I can expand from there. I'm heartened by the encouragement that I'm not just setting my money on fire.

If I went with Rondo, which of the Agiles is the preferred LP clone?

The AL-3xxx series are under your budget, but from what I can tell most people end up swapping the pickups out too, so that's another added cost to consider. But you can always do that later if you want to. You will run into that with Epiphone's too probably.

I think they are all basically the same from the 3xxx line up, main differences being cosmetics(binding, flame tops, etc).

They start at the end of this page: http://www.rondomusic.com/electricguitar-ss5.html

Dirt fucked around with this message at 05:44 on Apr 7, 2014

coolbian57
Sep 27, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
I'm a firm believer that just because a guitar is expensive or name brand means its actually any good. I have played some off brands that have blown away my expectations in both tone (pickups) and playability, and I have certainly played name brand guitars which were lackluster. I think this applies more for electric guitars, where playability is paramount and electronics can be modified. That doesn't mean to buy garbage, though. For acoustics you definitely want to know that a quality tone is coming directly from the guitar, which varies a lot from guitar to guitar even within the same model.

Neutral Zone Trap
Nov 6, 2011

It's in the garbage. Where it belongs.
The Epis can range from garbage to unbelievable due lovely QC. Really important to try before buying and since you did and liked it I'd just grab it. The Probucker pickups sound excellent and don't get enough credit.

To clarify: the Probuckers are only in the more expensive Epis, LP Std Pro or better afaik, definitely worth the extra money

Neutral Zone Trap fucked around with this message at 13:00 on Apr 7, 2014

DrChu
May 14, 2002

I have a 72 Telecaster Deluxe reissue that I want to change the bridge on, I'm not getting along with the height adjustment screws that stick out above the saddles at all. It seems the stock recommendation at tdpri.com is the Callaham bridge, but that seems to be more that they're built with high quality bluesdad steel and wouldn't address the problem I'm having.

What I'd like is something like the cast saddles that were in the American Standard Strats and Teles forever, but they don't seem to made for the string spacing this guitar has.

Hollis Brownsound
Apr 2, 2009

by Lowtax

DrChu posted:

I have a 72 Telecaster Deluxe reissue that I want to change the bridge on, I'm not getting along with the height adjustment screws that stick out above the saddles at all. It seems the stock recommendation at tdpri.com is the Callaham bridge, but that seems to be more that they're built with high quality bluesdad steel and wouldn't address the problem I'm having.

What I'd like is something like the cast saddles that were in the American Standard Strats and Teles forever, but they don't seem to made for the string spacing this guitar has.

I wouldn't do this personally, but you could shim the back of the neck pocket to raise the neck angle. I have a Tele with the same bridge and same problem, but it doesn't bother me enough to shim the neck pocket.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
You can also grind down the adjustment screws.

I'm not familiar with the 72 Deluxe's bridge, but it looks like a standard hardtail base with bent saddles. Instead of an entirely new bridge, you can just get some new saddles, which could have shorter adjustment screws.

Koth
Jul 1, 2005

Cojawfee posted:

If you want a different way to fasten your pedals, I've seen some people use the sides of bicycle chain links. You screw one end into the back of the pedal (using the screws already holding the back plate on) and the other side into the plywood or whatever.

Wow, that's genius.

Zuhzuhzombie!!
Apr 17, 2008
FACTS ARE A CONSPIRACY BY THE CAPITALIST OPRESSOR
Les Paul Deluxe is a great guitar, btw. The first run in 69 or so uses leftover/spare parts from when they discontinued it. Meaning some have some of that 58 - 60 witch craft in them.

jwh
Jun 12, 2002

Dirt posted:

You're awesome. I'm just interested in the clean sounds. I have an Orange 1x12 cab and the OR-15 Head. The Overdrive is amazing on it, but I miss the "fender clean" sound. I gigged with a 4x10 Super Reverb for years, and I miss that "generic Fender clean tone with reverb" so much. I am considering buying a Deluxe Reverb/Princeton Reverb or something, but I'd rather not drop a grand if I don't have to :D I don't gig anymore, so a lower wattage amp would be totally fine for home use. The Champ sounds, in theory like exactly what I am looking for.

You don't have to go out of your way to record anything, but do you think the Champ will do what I want? Just that nice Fender clean reverb tone, it's hard to describe but I know you know what I mean haha

I'd get a Traynor Dark horse head- relatively inexpensive, and you could use your existing 1x12 Orange cab (PPC112?). I can't say enough nice things about the Traynor Dark Horse- switchable from 15 watts to 2 watts, preamp and power amp gain knobs, three distinct EQ voicings (including one that bypasses the EQ section completely!).

It's a great amp.

Buy one.

I'm the only one that has one, and i'm so lonely.

DrChu
May 14, 2002

HollisBrown posted:

I wouldn't do this personally, but you could shim the back of the neck pocket to raise the neck angle. I have a Tele with the same bridge and same problem, but it doesn't bother me enough to shim the neck pocket.

I get what you're saying, the end result would be like a Les Paul/SG neck. However the angle would probably be just too much for me.

muike posted:

You can also grind down the adjustment screws.

I'm not familiar with the 72 Deluxe's bridge, but it looks like a standard hardtail base with bent saddles. Instead of an entirely new bridge, you can just get some new saddles, which could have shorter adjustment screws.

This is my bridge. The screws go above the strings, so if I want to palm mute they dig in, and they'll also catch my hand on an errant strum. I am hoping to just find new saddles, the problem is the string spacing which seems to be wider than most bridges. This is the closest I've found, I wouldn't mind a cheaper option though - http://www.amazon.com/Graph-Tech-Classics-Spacing-Brushed/dp/B0012EN89S/ref=sr_1_3?s=musical-instruments&ie=UTF8&qid=1391739543&sr=1-3

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
You might be able to find some shorter adjustment screws. The keywords you'd use to look (i already tried with minimal promising results) would be vintage saddle height adjustment screws. Before you start doing that, you should check and see how long your current ones are (there'll probably be two different sizes on there), and if aftermarket ones are actually any different. You might have to shim the bridge or the neck if you can't find shorter ones.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
The graphtechs would be great saddles at a great price, just make sure you get the right spacing if you go that way.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

jwh posted:

I'd get a Traynor Dark horse head- relatively inexpensive, and you could use your existing 1x12 Orange cab (PPC112?). I can't say enough nice things about the Traynor Dark Horse- switchable from 15 watts to 2 watts, preamp and power amp gain knobs, three distinct EQ voicings (including one that bypasses the EQ section completely!).

It's a great amp.

Buy one.

I'm the only one that has one, and i'm so lonely.

Traynors are great and they're the reason I'm selling my amp (I found a YCV80 at a pawn shop but I don't have the cash for it)

JHVH-1
Jun 28, 2002

DrChu posted:

I get what you're saying, the end result would be like a Les Paul/SG neck. However the angle would probably be just too much for me.

This is my bridge. The screws go above the strings, so if I want to palm mute they dig in, and they'll also catch my hand on an errant strum. I am hoping to just find new saddles, the problem is the string spacing which seems to be wider than most bridges. This is the closest I've found, I wouldn't mind a cheaper option though - http://www.amazon.com/Graph-Tech-Classics-Spacing-Brushed/dp/B0012EN89S/ref=sr_1_3?s=musical-instruments&ie=UTF8&qid=1391739543&sr=1-3

Don't know if this is the right part, but how about putting a bridge cover on it if you can find one that fits?

http://www.amazon.com/Fender-099-2270-100-American-Vintage-Stratocaster/dp/B0002KZG02

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

Also the cheapest option would be filing down the screws.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
I've never filed down those kinds of screws before, but they definitely look like they up past the allen wrench cranny

iostream.h
Mar 14, 2006

Easier to raise the saddles and notch them deeper.

Schlieren
Jan 7, 2005

LEZZZZZZZZZBIAN CRUSH

Declan MacManus posted:

Also the cheapest option would be filing down the screws.

Don't try to file down tiny-rear end set screws.

Go to your local hardware store and ask them to tell you the diameter / thread pitch / length of your socket set screws (which is what those are), then go order some the next length shorter for like 7 bucks (4 of that's shipping) at your local Fastenal. Or order them from Grainger (maybe bulk, maybe not) or McMaster-Carr (bulk unfortunately). Maybe take the time to get S/S or whatever? Get flat point or half-dog point or dog point if you can, avoid cup point (which are more common unfortunately) so you minimize the gouging on your bridge.

Alleric
Dec 10, 2002

Rambly Bastard...

muike posted:

The graphtechs would be great saddles at a great price, just make sure you get the right spacing if you go that way.

I have the full graphtecs on my strat (the whole saddle is the material instead of just the string contact), and can't imagine ever not having them. Threw those in and you could finally tell there was a 12 in my ID30.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
I only ever heard one person have a bad time with them, and he came back a week later and went "ok i changed my mind they're actually insanely sick"

iostream.h
Mar 14, 2006

muike posted:

I only ever heard one person have a bad time with them, and he came back a week later and went "ok i changed my mind they're actually insanely sick"
Yeah, I put them on everything, they're incredible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
I remember one guy had a problem with some flash on one of the saddles and immediately everyone was like "are you retarded, do you even know how easy this is to sand down" when he got all upset