Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

Finally got my first ever victory in this loving game, admittedly on Easy with advanced content turned off. Still, it feels good :)

Screenshot since that seems to be in vogue:

Somebody fucked around with this message at 14:19 on Apr 7, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MinionOfCthulhu
Oct 28, 2005

I got this title for free due to my proximity to an idiot who wanted to save $5 on an avatar by having someone else spend $9.95 instead.

Logan 5 posted:

Well now that I've figured out hacking things have generally gone a bit better. I still have yet to actually get a flak gun to use though, I'm so jealous of you guys, c'mon rng stop screwing with me.

Also the hacking malfunction song from the new soundtrack is my favorite on an already loving awesome soundtrack: http://benprunty.bandcamp.com/track/hacking-malfunction-battle

If you got FTL in a humble bundle btw you have the new songs in your library :)

e: just noticed this "album" artwork for the new songs

perfect

Where do I find them? Or rather, if I gave FTL away from Humble Indie Bundle 9, can I still find the soundtrack?

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Tenebrais posted:

The flagship is all about testing your ship's capabilities. Do you have the defences to handle missile barrages and swarms of drones? Are your weapons strong enough to pierce a four-bubble shield and a zoltan shield? The third wave now tests your crew as well - you need to be able to handle losing any one of them, as well as fighting off the enemy's crew. Populate your ship and make sure your autopilot and doors are up to scratch!

I did. Unfortunately, it didn't matter. Doors followed after the cockpit. When I try again I'll try to pick up cloak, hacking/mind control, and maybe a teleporter and see. The annoying thing is easy, is, well, easy. I barely took even damage or lost shields until the flagship so for me it's either continuous kicks in the balls or a walk in the park followed by a single kick in the balls. :v:

quote:

Also the hacking malfunction song from the new soundtrack is my favorite on an already loving awesome soundtrack: http://benprunty.bandcamp.com/track...function-battle

The new tracks are really nice and makes things a bit more interesting aurally. All the remixes are really good.

Logan 5
Jan 29, 2007

Bash -> To the Cop

MinionOfCthulhu posted:

Where do I find them? Or rather, if I gave FTL away from Humble Indie Bundle 9, can I still find the soundtrack?

If you go to your humble library (should be at https://www.humblebundle.com/home) at the top under "choose platform" there is an audio option. Clicking that should take you about to all the audio you have available, then just scroll down til you find the FTL Advanced edition, should be it's own separate thing underneath the original soundtrack.

You should have access to it even if you gave the key/link away though, I did that and it still shows up there for me. Although I got ftl via humble long before it was in a bundle, so idk.

Happy Big Fun
Jul 23, 2004
Yay!
Handy tip for Lanius A - Teleport into their shield room and set your ion stunner to hit it. Enemies can't run out of the room when they are stunned and suffocate. Less effective than hacking a room, but doesn't cost a drone part.

I wish disabling advanced features would also disable anti-ship batteries and plasma storms. Bring back reasonable rebel fleets in exchange for all the new features.

Now that there are tons of new encounters, the encounter pool has been diluted making informed decisions more difficult. For example:

- I would try to have level 3 med bays before heading into a zolton or engi sector. That "give them your medical records" encounter can happen several times in each playthrough. It can yield a weapon or a drone schematic, repaying the investment cost and then some.

- Level 4+ engines and level 2 sensors and piloting were all worthwhile, cheap upgrades that gave you great blue options. Those blue options frequently paid back the investment.

With a bunch of extra encounter options with all new ways to profit, it's much more difficult to predict and prepare for specific (high-likelyhood) options. Combine that with a more urgent need to upgrade yourself for survival, preparing for blue options isn't feasible.

Hopefully we will be able to figure out which blue options are worth aiming for. But with a pool of encounters that seems to have doubled, it's gonna come down to luck more than ever.

MinionOfCthulhu
Oct 28, 2005

I got this title for free due to my proximity to an idiot who wanted to save $5 on an avatar by having someone else spend $9.95 instead.

Logan 5 posted:

If you go to your humble library (should be at https://www.humblebundle.com/home) at the top under "choose platform" there is an audio option. Clicking that should take you about to all the audio you have available, then just scroll down til you find the FTL Advanced edition, should be it's own separate thing underneath the original soundtrack.

You should have access to it even if you gave the key/link away though, I did that and it still shows up there for me. Although I got ftl via humble long before it was in a bundle, so idk.

Aha! Thanks!

Jibo
May 22, 2007

Bear Witness
College Slice
Man. I got the augment that makes it so enemy defensive drones can't aim and dear lord did I crush the last boss with maxed hacking.

Stage 1: Hack the hacker I guess to be safe?
Stage 2: Hack their drone room either whenever it surges or whenever they launch a boarding drone and laugh as all the drones just kind of pop.
Stage 3: Hack their teleporter and send all their people back.

I got my first Zoltan B boss kill which is a ship I admittedly don't use enough. I eventually got an Ion Burst 2 to go with all of my 1s and at the last jump before the 8th sector I got an Ion Bomb with 40 missiles just chilling in cargo.

Deceptive Thinker
Oct 5, 2005

I'll rip out your optics!
It's been a long time since I've played this on a regular basis, but the new content has definitely made things harder, especially the final boss.
So far I've made it there 4 times but only taken him down once (with 1 hull point left)
My last run was a Mantis B run where picked up 3 Flak 1's over the course of the run through stores or drops, and also got a super shield bypass for boarders. I was just getting handed crewmembers left and right, got plenty of scrap, but just couldn't find a drone (I'd sold off the starters early) and had no repair stations anywhere nearby in sector 8
Went into phase 3 with 1 hull point, and of course took a hit from a missile seconds before I destroyed the missile launcher

edit: still on Normal, so far every Hard mode run I've tried has ended in disaster

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

I will analyze your nervous system for beer money
I just beat Normal in (of all things), Engi A.

Not that there's anything wrong with Engi A, but I don't think I'd ever beaten the game with it before, nevermind before Normal got quite a bit harder.

At the end game I had 2 Flak-1s, a Fire Beam, a Pre-Igniter, L3 shields, Mind Control, and 2 Defense Drone-2s. Watching the hack drones try to continuously attach was pretty hilarious.

Basic strategy was to bring down shields and set fires to subsystems in stage 1 and 2. I entered stage 3 with only one dude left piloting the boss, and then it just became a race to out-DPS it. Having a Mind Control unit was invaluable to counter the boss mind control, but I suppose Hacking could have saved me as well.

Awesome update!

Venom Snake
Feb 19, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
They still haven't fixed it where you can allow a ship to surrender while it's covered in fire and then just have it blow up from the fire killing all it's systems.

pankus
Jul 30, 2003
Just got my first normal win with the advanced edition after a couple easy wins. In all cases the hacking has been crucial just for the fact that I can kill all the crew in stage one with two boarders without taking on more than two at once and without them escaping to the medbay.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

quote:

They still haven't fixed it where you can allow a ship to surrender while it's covered in fire and then just have it blow up from the fire killing all it's systems.
When everything's on fire the crew will move just far enough away to let the ship explode but not have it count as the crew dying, just to spite you.

Also, I just had a missile hit me while I had a 100% chance to evade.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

Alexzandvar posted:

I don't see a problem here.

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

I certainly dont have deep-seated issues involving birthdays.
Man... Boarding is so much better with the cloner.

Although sometimes when my boarding crew is dying I just fire breach bombs and hull missiles where they are to kill their defenders.

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

Devour or Fire posted:

I did an easy run with Engi B since the prospect of getting that thing to sector 8 in normal sounds like a load of hot poo poo and managed to finally unlock the Slug cruiser without really planning or thinking, first jump in the home nebula got me the quest.

I beat Normal with Engi B but probably only because I got incredibly lucky and picked up two mantises and a teleporter in the first sector.

boredsatellite
Dec 7, 2013

Alexzandvar posted:

Yeah after the ship explodes we should be able to grab more scrap metal. That's what you are saying right?

Leylite
Nov 5, 2011

RBA Starblade posted:

When everything's on fire the crew will move just far enough away to let the ship explode but not have it count as the crew dying, just to spite you.

Also, I just had a missile hit me while I had a 100% chance to evade.

Did you cloak before or after the missile entered your shield bubble? If you cloaked afterwards, the calculation for it to hit was already made, so it's too late - at that point it's hitting you.

Venom Snake
Feb 19, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

boredsatellite posted:

Yeah after the ship explodes we should be able to grab more scrap metal. That's what you are saying right?

Basically yes, although it would be very easy to exploit this by going just all out with fire weapons.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Leylite posted:

Did you cloak before or after the missile entered your shield bubble? If you cloaked afterwards, the calculation for it to hit was already made, so it's too late - at that point it's hitting you.

Before. Didn't stop me from beating advanced easy with the Shivan though! I accidentally burned all the crew on the flagship to death, because I left the wrong guy alive, but I took nearly no hull damage. Had a heavy pierce, burst laser, and alternated between a hull beam and fire bombs. Also had cloak, stealth weapons, mind control, and a teleporter. Basically if you want to beat the flagship, spend the scrap on mind control, then kill everything in the first wave. And hope no missiles hit anything important. And run away if the hacking drone does. The federation put up repair stations farther out than it'd take the flagship to kill them, so I don't know why they bothered.

Logan 5
Jan 29, 2007

Bash -> To the Cop
I made a thing for shits and giggles in the steam gifting thread, figured I'd crosspost it here too:

Logan 5 fucked around with this message at 06:12 on Apr 7, 2014

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Should have the candles go out too. :v:

Logan 5
Jan 29, 2007

Bash -> To the Cop

SynthOrange posted:

Should have the candles go out too. :v:

Son of a bitch. I knew I forgot something!

e: fixed, thanks for pointing it out!

Logan 5 fucked around with this message at 06:12 on Apr 7, 2014

wesdotcool
May 7, 2011
I managed to get blown up and kill the flag ship at the same instant.

I was playing the Mantis B cruiser on easy. It's unfortunate that the Mantis B cruiser only lets you get 1 additional system. I hilariously went with the mind control system because the thought of 4 dudes wrecking their shields or weapons while some other enemy runs in circles screaming "fire fire fire" instead of actually fighting you sounded funny. Anyway, it was a really strong build because with just a fire bomb I managed to slaughter the entire mothership crew (not the guns) with just one boarding attempt. I managed to beat the first 2 stages of the mothership and only took 2 damage. However that drat super weapon is tough when you can't cloak through it. When I finally managed to get through the super shield and kill that obnoxious rocket launcher I only had about 5 hull left. I had teleported all 4 boarders and taken out their shields and cockpit, but the timing was looking grim. Fortunately I had a Hull Smasher Laser II which made cutting through its hp a lot easier. It came down to the mother ship's 2 hp and my 5 hp and that terrifying super weapon imminent alarm. Both our ships fired at about the same time. I'm not sure who got hit first but the next thing I saw was both our ships blowing up and a victory notification on the top right. I was laughing so hard that I forgot to take a screen shot of it. I wish there was an instant replay feature.

I also managed to get a mantis to level up 9 skills. I found an AI ship that couldn't hurt me at the beginning and made him train on shields, engines, and in the cockpit. I also made dinner in that time.

Inadequately
Oct 9, 2012
The very last jump before the final sector was the Zoltan quest, which gave me a free Zoltan Shield. Hooray! The game likes to give me redundant ship unlock quests on my winning runs, so I'm taking this as a good sign.

E: And it was! Good thing I thought to grind up my shield and engine guys on stage 1 after I killed everyone but the three-bolt guy. Don't think I took more than two or three hits during the next two phases.

Inadequately fucked around with this message at 07:08 on Apr 7, 2014

TacMan
Aug 8, 2002

Vert used Hyperbeam,
It's super effective!

:steam: El Mole :steam:
so I went about 2 sectors with events just handing me items early on. then I won the game with a pre-igniter, a flak II, a flak II, and a flak I.

Engie-C hard run down~

TacMan fucked around with this message at 13:36 on Apr 20, 2014

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

By the word of Zoroaster, no business decision is poor when it involves Ahura Mazda.
Two flak II, that thing must have been destroyed really quickly.

Bob A Feet
Aug 10, 2005
Dear diary, I got another erection today at work. SO embarrassing, but kinda hot. The CO asked me to fix up his dress uniform. I had stayed late at work to move his badges 1/8" to the left and pointed it out this morning. 1SG spanked me while the CO watched, once they caught it. Tomorrow I get to start all over again...
Got an all mantis crew for some Mantis B action with a cloning bay :getin:

I will say getting set alight in the last sector was very heart breaking. Hearing the screams of your crew as their DNA is burnt in the cloning room is kinda scary. I teleported what crew I had to the mothership before I lost my cloning bay and my teleporter. Thankfully I had blast doors on my ship-- I choked out all the boarders, was able to eventually contain the wildfire (still lost cloning/teleporting) and was able to keep boarders away from my weapons which eventually won it for me (hacked shields + boarders in the shield room).

I ended the game with 5 of the 8 crew on the mothership. There was no crew left on my ship when it blew up the mothership. For the good of the galaxy I guess.

PS- a defensive drone is one of the best drat investments for second wave of the mothership, holy poo poo that thing saved me so much trouble.

Bob A Feet fucked around with this message at 06:40 on Apr 7, 2014

boredsatellite
Dec 7, 2013

Bob A Feet posted:

PS- a defensive drone is one of the best drat investments for second wave of the mothership, holy poo poo that thing saved me so much trouble.

Seriously I used it because I had it lying around and had to power to spare and that thing went to work. Phase 2 was never easier.

TacMan
Aug 8, 2002

Vert used Hyperbeam,
It's super effective!

:steam: El Mole :steam:

Azuth0667 posted:

Two flak II, that thing must have been destroyed really quickly.

phase 1 only cloaked on combat start, phase 2 didn't get to use drones, phase 3 barely got a superweapon off.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Does a Flak III exist? Or Chain Flak?

Flak Vulcan? :allears:

fuepi
Feb 6, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
They're going to nerf flak by making it cost 1 scrap to fire, I can feel it in my bones.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Hahaha, that was great. Mantis B. Quad Mantis Boarding Party. Cloning Bay. Reconstructive Teleport. Zoltan Shield Bypass.

The mothership never had a chance. I chumped it even though it hacked my shields on stage one. The only damage I took were from stage one (the hacked shields) and stage three (overload attack). The enemy mind control is really a non-issue if you have your own to cancel the first attack and then you sic mantis boarders on the mind control room.

By the way, shield hacking actually resets your shield energy usage. So I took waaaay more damage than I should have on stage one because I kept forgetting to reset my shields. For reference, I ended stage with only about 5 HP after fighting most of stage one sans-shields.

Alkydere fucked around with this message at 07:43 on Apr 7, 2014

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

Goddammit this Cello is way out of tune!
I did it. I unlocked all 'B' variants of all the ships. The worst ship was the Crystal ship, only because getting the 'A' variant was tough enough as is. I guess now I need to unlock the C variant, but that shouldn't be as hard as B was, would it?
:ohdear:

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

IAmTheRad posted:

I did it. I unlocked all 'B' variants of all the ships. The worst ship was the Crystal ship, only because getting the 'A' variant was tough enough as is. I guess now I need to unlock the C variant, but that shouldn't be as hard as B was, would it?

Hahahaha...have fun unlocking Slug and Stealth C (which is sad because Slug C is actually very good).

Ignimbrite
Jan 5, 2010

BALLS BALLS BALLS
Dinosaur Gum

SynthOrange posted:

Does a Flak III exist? Or Chain Flak?

Flak Vulcan? :allears:

Apparently the C layout of the federation cruiser has flak artillery and starts with no other weapons

regular mike
Mar 29, 2010
So I play the game for 35 hours (according to steam) and only unlock one ship other than the starter in the process. I think I even completed the right random encounter to unlock the Zoltan ship but it didn't actually unlock. But I power through it and finally beat the boss for the first time (flying the Kestrel) but it apparently in the new expanded version that doesn't unlock the federation ship? It's kind of hard to find information since this version is so new but what possible reason could there be for that to be the case? I'm sick of playing with the starter ship over and over hoping to randomly land on the right random encounter to unlock something else.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

IAmTheRad posted:

There's no Crystal, or Lanius, C. Which is a pity (or not) cause Crystal B is monstrously easy to win with.

deathbagel
Jun 10, 2008

Ignimbrite posted:

Apparently the C layout of the federation cruiser has flak artillery and starts with no other weapons

But it does also start with a cloning bay and a teleporter so you can have a ship invading good time in it!

Inadequately
Oct 9, 2012

Inositol posted:

So I play the game for 35 hours (according to steam) and only unlock one ship other than the starter in the process. I think I even completed the right random encounter to unlock the Zoltan ship but it didn't actually unlock. But I power through it and finally beat the boss for the first time (flying the Kestrel) but it apparently in the new expanded version that doesn't unlock the federation ship? It's kind of hard to find information since this version is so new but what possible reason could there be for that to be the case? I'm sick of playing with the starter ship over and over hoping to randomly land on the right random encounter to unlock something else.

In the new version, you unlock the Fed Cruiser by either beating the boss with Engi A (or any other Engi layout), or by entering the rebel stronghold and beating the under-construction second flagship.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.

Devour or Fire posted:

They're going to nerf flak by making it cost 1 scrap to fire, I can feel it in my bones.

That's honestly how I assumed it was going to work.

• Locked thread