Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Karma Comedian
Feb 2, 2012

datajosh posted:

If you haven't found one already, my Framily ID is V01365575Kv (last four of phone 4385), only two lines right now but hopefully that'll change soon.

Hey thanks for the offer. Turns out even though they're forcing me to switch plans (third party dealer line; no longer employed there) I'm not eligible to switch to framily. So I went with the SERO anyway. But again, thanks a lot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Foil
Apr 19, 2006
Now with more paranoia
Out of no where my tiny Boulder county town has 4G, with no 4g to be found in the more urban areas. I am glad I have 4g, but last week when I was in Denver I barely even had a 3G signal. Sprint works weird.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

Foil posted:

Out of no where my tiny Boulder county town has 4G, with no 4g to be found in the more urban areas. I am glad I have 4g, but last week when I was in Denver I barely even had a 3G signal. Sprint works weird.

COS and castle rock are the same, they're dragging their feet on Denver for whatever reason.

mcpringles
Jan 26, 2004

Man this thread has been pretty dead lately. I guess most people have left for a better network. I'm still riding out my SERO plan.

My HTC One was updated to 4.4.2 last week and now this Sprint connection optimizer bullshit keeps popping up whenever I'm near wifi. How do I disable it?

datajosh
May 3, 2002

I had the realization these aren't my problem!

mcpringles posted:

Man this thread has been pretty dead lately. I guess most people have left for a better network. I'm still riding out my SERO plan.

My HTC One was updated to 4.4.2 last week and now this Sprint connection optimizer bullshit keeps popping up whenever I'm near wifi. How do I disable it?
Not sure about HTC but on Samsung devices there's an option to disable it under Mobile Networks

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org

mcpringles posted:

Im still here, buddy. Are you on the $50 premium SERO plan? Im just on the $40 premium. HTC Arrive is basically the best phone I can activate on the plan, but its still more than enough for what I use it for.

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

Cage posted:

Im still here, buddy. Are you on the $50 premium SERO plan? Im just on the $40 premium. HTC Arrive is basically the best phone I can activate on the plan, but its still more than enough for what I use it for.

The Arrive is still a drat good phone. I am still puzzled how it is said to be the most returned device. I can only attribute it to Salespeople that instead of helping users add their contacts and actually try to get the basics of the phone down, just pushed them to get a iPhone instead.

My Arrive never let me down when I needed it, and I only use my EVO LTE now because of my Pebble.

effpee
Nov 19, 2004
Does anyone in the thread have any information / unfounded rumors / want to make something up about if or when the Nexus 5 will ever get that radio update it needs to actually be Sprint Spark compatible? Is there any reason to believe it will be part of the 4.4.3 update? Or will it come separately, or not at all?

I get tolerable data speeds without it, but it's irritating to have an alleged triband phone, live in an alleged triband area, and get nothing but "coming soon!" for what, five months now?

Disargeria
May 6, 2010

All Good Things are Wild and Free!
What's up with the Spark thing? My gf and I have Galaxy S4s with Sprint but hers has different icons and loading screens that mention this Spark network. We bought them at different times. Is it just some updated icons or is it something that doesn't apply to older phones?

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

Totally TWISTED posted:

Tell me about this Framily plan poo poo.

Is there any sort of account master that can snoop on other account member's phone usage/call logs/etc?

How is the +$20 unlimited data and annual upgrade plan work compared to the current upgrade path? Are the phones subsidized the same amount?

What are any downsides to this plan?

---

Currently I have the option to get on a plan with some family members that would make my spouse and I's combined rate go down $20 if we spring for the unlimited data add-on and assuming the taxes and TEP charge are the same (I might drop TEP also but anyway). Could we be hosed if my family then leaves the plan and be unable to go back to the old plan with unlimited data + work discount setup we currently have?

edit: read back a page, it looks like current sprint customers might not be able to swap over to a framily plan is that accurate still (that it depends on the rep you talk to)?

Anyone? I could just ask a rep in store of course but I trust you guys more :v:

td4guy
Jun 13, 2005

I always hated that guy.

Disargeria posted:

What's up with the Spark thing? My gf and I have Galaxy S4s with Sprint but hers has different icons and loading screens that mention this Spark network. We bought them at different times. Is it just some updated icons or is it something that doesn't apply to older phones?
A revised SGS4 model with more LTE band capabilities was released on, like, the last week of 2013.

The Shep
Jan 10, 2007

If found, please return this poster to GIP. His mothers are very worried and miss him very much.

Totally TWISTED posted:

Anyone? I could just ask a rep in store of course but I trust you guys more :v:

I tried to read up on the framily plan on sprints website but I was more confused after reading it than I was going in.

mcpringles
Jan 26, 2004

Cage posted:

I had an arrive when it came out but I've since moved on. The speakers on it broke after a year. I'd suggest biting the bullet and upgrading. Android is so much better than WP7 now and that phone is so small.

I'm currently using an HTC One 2013 but thinking of upgrading to the new one. Has anyone picked up this phone yet?

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

Wizard of Smart posted:

Hey thanks for the offer. Turns out even though they're forcing me to switch plans (third party dealer line; no longer employed there) I'm not eligible to switch to framily. So I went with the SERO anyway. But again, thanks a lot.

Where did you end up getting a job at?

SpelledBackwards
Jan 7, 2001

I found this image on the Internet, perhaps you've heard of it? It's been around for a while I hear.

td4guy posted:

A revised SGS4 model with more LTE band capabilities was released on, like, the last week of 2013.

To add to this: the S4 without Spark has 720 in its model name, while the Spark-capable phone has 720T in its model name.

lowcrabdiet
Jun 28, 2004
I'm not Steve Nash.
College Slice
I'm eligible to upgrade but I'd prefer just keeping my current phone.

When I get my upgraded phone mailed to me, can I sell it brand new/unopened? Or do I have to activate it first?

That is, when I get my upgraded phones, are they tied to my account somehow? Or can anyone do the first activation on them? I just figure that selling it brand new might fetch a higher price.

lowcrabdiet fucked around with this message at 18:44 on Apr 4, 2014

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

lowcrabdiet posted:

I'm eligible to upgrade but I'd prefer just keeping my current phone.

When I get my upgraded phone mailed to me, can I sell it brand new/unopened? Or do I have to activate it first?

That is, when I get my upgraded phones, are they tied to my account somehow? Or can anyone do the first activation on them? I just figure that selling it brand new might fetch a higher price.

Nope you should be able to sell it straight from the box. All the user would have to do is over the phone give the Sprint tech that's is activating the phone the MSL and such and it should provision over.

Karma Comedian
Feb 2, 2012

Duckman2008 posted:

Where did you end up getting a job at?

I'm still looking, actually. I'm heading in to the local AT&T corporate store with my resume and MIS reports today, I've already beencontacted by them and put through two of those "Strongly agree/agree/neutral/disagree/strongly disagree" evaluations. I figure this is the next step.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

mcpringles posted:

Even more annoying to me, Wi-Fi turns itself on whenever the phone is plugged into a charger.

So if I plug my phone into my hands free and try to fire up Pandora or maps when I get in my car at home, it attempts to use my (now useless because I'm too far away) home Wi-Fi, instead of Sprint 4g readily available.

Disargeria
May 6, 2010

All Good Things are Wild and Free!

td4guy posted:

Ah, I see. Thanks!

Beefstorm
Jul 20, 2010

"It's not the size of the tower. It's the motion of the airwaves."
Lipstick Apathy

Wizard of Smart posted:

I'm still looking, actually. I'm heading in to the local AT&T corporate store with my resume and MIS reports today, I've already beencontacted by them and put through two of those "Strongly agree/agree/neutral/disagree/strongly disagree" evaluations. I figure this is the next step.

Good luck. See you over at the AT&T thread.

Nrapture
Feb 8, 2007

mcpringles posted:

I'm hanging onto my SERO plan as well. I only upgraded from the $30 plan (HTC TP2) to the $50 plan (SGS4) six months ago. And found out I regularly get 30 down and 9 up at home. Until I move or Sprint jacks up the nearby tower, I'm not going anywhere.

photomikey
Dec 30, 2012
Bought the HTC EVO 4G LTE two years ago on launch day. Contract came up a few months ago, was paralyzed with what to do... Sprint service sucks, but I'm on the $50 SERO plan.

Finally pulled the trigger today on a HTC One M8. Re-upped for another two years.

M8 is SO SNAPPY compared to the EVO.

Happy to answer M8 questions if there are any.

ceebee
Feb 12, 2004
Just preordered my Galaxy S5. Coming from a Galaxy Nexus. I can't wait to ditch this stupid piece of poo poo that dies within 2 hours.

Any tips for a new S5 owner?

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

ceebee posted:

Just preordered my Galaxy S5. Coming from a Galaxy Nexus. I can't wait to ditch this stupid piece of poo poo that dies within 2 hours.

Hold onto your butt(s) is the advice I'm giving. You're leaping forward a good three years, from a phone with a poo poo camera, screen-door pentile display, bulk, etc, etc, to a phone with pretty much the cutting edge on all of that.

And if you gripe about something and someone gets all :corsair: Louis CK :corsair: on you, tell'em to gently caress off.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

ceebee posted:

Well you see, Samsung phones are total shitballs because...

*posts list of 1000+ super-minor nitpicks that have been mentioned in the android thread*

No seriously, enjoy your new phone once you get it. It looks really cool.

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

Forget it man this bat is whack, it's got poobrain!
Is there a framily ID sharing thread? I have no friends (that may want to switch to Sprint)

Grumpwagon
May 6, 2007
I am a giant assfuck who needs to harden the fuck up.

deimos posted:

Is there a framily ID sharing thread? I have no friends (that may want to switch to Sprint)

There was a thread in SA Mart a while ago I think, or else someone posted something a page or two ago.

FAKE EDIT:

datajosh posted:

If you haven't found one already, my Framily ID is V01365575Kv (last four of phone 4385), only two lines right now but hopefully that'll change soon.

Imaginos
Mar 3, 2003

Another happy SERO camper here. Have 2 lines left on it. My SG4 at $50/mo and a TP2 line for $30 that is mostly just for tethering Internet. My area has LTE and hell.. the 3G speeds are still good enough for browsing off company network.

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

Yep. SERO is really the one thing that holds me here. Considering all the great Windows Phones come to all the other carriers, it has been painful to watch them pass by Sprint.

However I look at Bills for friends on AT&T and Verizon, and I can't help but look a little :smug: with the only disadvantage I have with my service is being a (good)bit slower, but unlimited. Sprint has never been Fast for me in my area, but it has never been unusable either, and the hope that it will change soon continues to linger... Just a little longer.

I am pretty sure that if they every Force Removed all the SERO customers that every single one of them would jump ship unless LTE was complete in their area. Am I right?

photomikey
Dec 30, 2012
IMHO SERO is sustainable for them - $30/mo using basically no data, $40/mo using very little data (because it's so slow) and $50/mo being substantially the same as everyone else charges for similar plans. I don't think they'd force out SERO at this point.

mellowjournalism
Jul 31, 2004

helllooo
I'm giving Sprint a last chance (SERO-hanger-on here) so I'm going to go ahead and use my upgrade to see if a fancy new phone will help my speeds (plus I just loving HATE my Galaxy Nexus at this point), and then if a couple months go by and I'm still unable to catch a signal when I need it most, I'm just gonna have T-mobile buy my phone and ETF.

What are the key deciding factors between the M8 and S5?

Grumpwagon
May 6, 2007
I am a giant assfuck who needs to harden the fuck up.

yellowjournalism posted:

I'm giving Sprint a last chance (SERO-hanger-on here) so I'm going to go ahead and use my upgrade to see if a fancy new phone will help my speeds (plus I just loving HATE my Galaxy Nexus at this point), and then if a couple months go by and I'm still unable to catch a signal when I need it most, I'm just gonna have T-mobile buy my phone and ETF.

What are the key deciding factors between the M8 and S5?

I'd get an M8, but it's definitely down to personal preference.

I like Sense a lot more than Touchwiz. The front facing speakers on the One are genuinely useful for YouTube and stuff. I also like the look and feel of the One's aluminum body more than the S5's plastic.

That said, Samsung will sell a ton of S5s, so they're likely to be supported a bit longer (HTC has promised 18 months of upgrades, and they've been good lately about upgrades, but they are financially hurting). The S5's camera is also quite a bit better.

They're both compatible with Tri-Band ("Sprint Spark"), so no worries there. Either phone is a good choice.

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

Grumpwagon posted:

There was a thread in SA Mart a while ago I think, or else someone posted something a page or two ago.

FAKE EDIT:

It's more that I have my framily code and wanted to get people in it to share the goodness.

mellowjournalism
Jul 31, 2004

helllooo
I just saw the S5's IP67 test. I'm sold.

(Not that I'm going to act like it's waterproof, but it definitely means that a swim in the toilet isn't the catastrophe that it used to be)

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

yellowjournalism posted:

I just saw the S5's IP67 test. I'm sold.

(Not that I'm going to act like it's waterproof, but it definitely means that a swim in the toilet isn't the catastrophe that it used to be)

It would probably survive a spec bucket! (For those of you not familiar with the reference it's from the SH/SC IT Ticket thread and :nms:.)

And if anyone cares, I need friends! Here's my code: B01465073NM

iluvpr0n
Oct 21, 2000

photomikey posted:

M8 is SO SNAPPY compared to the EVO.

Happy to answer M8 questions if there are any.

I'm in the same boat and have been relatively happy, comparatively, with the EVO 4G LTE with recent software updates. One random question though: I have some small bluetooth headphones that I use and are barely in range with my EVO in my pants pocket. It works, but if I move my hand in weird ways/etc, it can interrupt the sound very briefly. Any idea if the bluetooth transmitter would be more powerful in the M8 vs. EVO? I never see this kind of thing mentioned in reviews, so I don't know if all phones are equal or if there'd be differences between manufacturers.

*edit*
I should add that I know my slight problems are caused by the weakness of the reception on my headphones (other bluetooth speakers I use pick up sound easily for many feet, if not a room away). Just wondering if this would somehow be a happy coincidence that a new phone would have more bluetooth juice for whatever reason.

iluvpr0n fucked around with this message at 04:19 on Apr 8, 2014

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
Just checking in. SERO customer here, and my service was so bad that I actually considered switching. But ever since LTE was lit in my city my service has been pretty great. Obviously YMMV but just a counterpoint to all the bad experiences shared on here.

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

iluvpr0n posted:

I'm in the same boat and have been relatively happy, comparatively, with the EVO 4G LTE with recent software updates. One random question though: I have some small bluetooth headphones that I use and are barely in range with my EVO in my pants pocket. It works, but if I move my hand in weird ways/etc, it can interrupt the sound very briefly. Any idea if the bluetooth transmitter would be more powerful in the M8 vs. EVO? I never see this kind of thing mentioned in reviews, so I don't know if all phones are equal or if there'd be differences between manufacturers.

*edit*
I should add that I know my slight problems are caused by the weakness of the reception on my headphones (other bluetooth speakers I use pick up sound easily for many feet, if not a room away). Just wondering if this would somehow be a happy coincidence that a new phone would have more bluetooth juice for whatever reason.

I have had that issue with every device from my Touch Pro 2, HTC Arrive, HTC EVO 4G LTE, etc for my Bluetooth Headphones. Motorola S9 and S11's. I can stream a direct line from them to the phone for about 10-20ft, but certain body positions or parts in the way can cut the signal for brief periods. Maybe we are building up a BT shielding the more we use it. :/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bigpolar
Jun 19, 2003

EdEddnEddy posted:

I am pretty sure that if they every Force Removed all the SERO customers that every single one of them would jump ship unless LTE was complete in their area. Am I right?

God yes. It's not worth dealing with it if it costs more.

Actually, if SERO ended, I'd probably go with a dumb phone on AT&T and buy a Nexus 7,and depend on wifi for any Internet while out of the house. The barely usable Internet in so many places makes me realize how easily I can go without it.