Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hedera Helix
Sep 2, 2011

The laws of the fiesta mean nothing!

Accretionist posted:

You're assuming a perfectly spherical housing market of uniform density.

What if I'm a developer and I add multi-million dollar condos? Or a bunch of apartments whose rents are at least a standard deviation above the mean? There are a lot of additional factors on top of basic Supply and Demand.

The question then becomes, how does building that set of luxury condos affect nearby rents, when compared to not building and having rich people snap up the existing housing stock?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Hedera Helix posted:

The question then becomes, how does building that set of luxury condos affect nearby rents, when compared to not building and having rich people snap up the existing housing stock?

It's a somewhat off topic discussion but places such as Dallas have much more reasonable rent costs since the total supply is so much better than hot spots like the Bay Area.

Also new class A housing helps the problem since people with higher salaries can move out and thereby create more options .

To get back on topic the seattle underground is pretty fallout esque

Gerund
Sep 12, 2007

He push a man

^^^The Underground is awesome, take any tour you want^^^

Hedera Helix posted:

Historically in the region, this usually means the wealthy buy bigger houses out on Mercer Island et al and suffer the transit for the their housing status-symbol. But with the push towards urban living with minor commuting- and with the lax development rules- it results in fewer living spaces for working families inside the city, and larger living expenses for the those with the least to expend as they are pushed into the margins.

San Fran is not the goal (partially because the gentrification pressures exist at any density), but the city of Seattle can do far more in creating solutions for working families. And when they have, they've been challenged every step of the way by developers fighting for the right to profiteer off of the housing crunch.

Best Friends
Nov 4, 2011

Accretionist posted:

Or a bunch of apartments whose rents are at least a standard deviation above the mean?

Unless the answer you expect here is "rich people appear out of thin air to move into those apartments" then yes those apartments will still help to bring down rents, because prior to their existence the rich people were living in non-rich person housing and thus driving up those rents.

The problem is if there is no non-rich person housing available whatsoever and that is a real threat, but pretending that more apartments are somehow a bad thing is the opposite of a solution.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

The city did build some affordable housing after passing some success bond measures and also tax levy:
http://www.seattle.gov/housing/levy/docs/Levy_photos.pdf

Gerund
Sep 12, 2007

He push a man

etalian posted:

The city did build some affordable housing after passing some success bond measures and also tax levy:
http://www.seattle.gov/housing/levy/docs/Levy_photos.pdf

And they're pretty cool! I like living in Seattle, I like paying my taxes here more than I would elsewhere, and I do believe that there are people in this city that are trying to make it work for everyone. But treating real estate and living situations as if they are interchangeable widgets is something worth correcting.

And yes, I think there are troubling issues when your living situation is also limited by your lively-hood, because it takes too much leverage away from labor and into the hands of management. If you were also forced to move if you were fired from your job, your recourse to any abuses of that power is limited. It is this relationship structure that makes company-town situations inherently worth questioning. I mean even in the given example w/r/t Amazon paying in gift cards as acceptable scrip: it is that lack of leverage the worker has in response to said monopoly on goods and services that causes the deprivations associated with company-towns, not the act of getting Funbux rather than real money.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Gerund posted:

And they're pretty cool! I like living in Seattle, I like paying my taxes here more than I would elsewhere, and I do believe that there are people in this city that are trying to make it work for everyone. But treating real estate and living situations as if they are interchangeable widgets is something worth correcting.

And yes, I think there are troubling issues when your living situation is also limited by your lively-hood, because it takes too much leverage away from labor and into the hands of management. If you were also forced to move if you were fired from your job, your recourse to any abuses of that power is limited. It is this relationship structure that makes company-town situations inherently worth questioning. I mean even in the given example w/r/t Amazon paying in gift cards as acceptable scrip: it is that lack of leverage the worker has in response to said monopoly on goods and services that causes the deprivations associated with company-towns, not the act of getting Funbux rather than real money.

It's sort of the right idea but the amount of new supply is still nowhere close to meeting demand.

Just look a the below waitlist:
https://www.seattlehousing.org/news/email/housinginsider/EstimatedWaitTimes.pdf

Mrit
Sep 26, 2007

by exmarx
Grimey Drawer

Gerund posted:

Well, since that article about UW/Children's said that "employees have *priority*", I wouldn't think that losing your job would lose the home, as non-employees will be able to live there if no employees wish to. Just new vacancies will be to employees first.
I would love it if there were more housing options in the city. I have no desire to have a 90 minute commute each way, but I'm not an Amazon employee, so what can you do?

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

I'm glad to be in Eugene, Oregon rather than in Portland or Seattle. I haven't really spent time in Seattle, but over the last decade I have seen Portland descend into traffic-clogged hell. From what I have heard, Seattle isn't exactly a traffic dream, either.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

CaptainSarcastic posted:

I'm glad to be in Eugene, Oregon rather than in Portland or Seattle. I haven't really spent time in Seattle, but over the last decade I have seen Portland descend into traffic-clogged hell. From what I have heard, Seattle isn't exactly a traffic dream, either.

Seattle's worse.

FRINGE
May 23, 2003
title stolen for lf posting

effectual posted:

Seattle's worse.
Seattle drivers are worse, but I found the actual city/streets to be more frustrating in Portland. :shrug:

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

FRINGE posted:

Seattle drivers are worse, but I found the actual city/streets to be more frustrating in Portland. :shrug:

I think it's because Seattle had more time to build out. I was in Portland last summer to buy some hiking stuff and it definitely felt like it was more of a smaller town that had received a large influx of people.

Looking at some statistics it looks like the population in Portland was more or less static (give or take 50k) from 1930-1980, and then it skyrockets. Meanwhile in Seattle the population started from about the same point (larger Metro area though) but lots of people start moving in more closer to 1940-1950.

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

LET ME EXPLAIN TO YOU WHY YOU ARE WRONG ABOUT EVERYTHING
Seattle can't really hold many more people than it already has, so people that want to move to this area are often forced to live in Everett or Tacoma, both of which are, I think, experiencing significant population booms. Building Seattle on an isthmus must have seemed like a great idea at the time, but now the city is sort of boxed in.
Western Washington drivers are terrible because everyone's a passive aggressive rear end in a top hat. The worst situation to be in is at a stop sign or blinking light intersection, because it can easily devolve into a game of politeness one-upmanship. NO I INSIST AFTER YOU. Also turn signals are an alien concept to many people. The un-signaled quadruple lane change happens quite often on I-5.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Spatula City posted:

Seattle can't really hold many more people than it already has, so people that want to move to this area are often forced to live in Everett or Tacoma, both of which are, I think, experiencing significant population booms. Building Seattle on an isthmus must have seemed like a great idea at the time, but now the city is sort of boxed in.

High rises would fix all of this.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

SedanChair posted:

High rises would fix all of this.

Yup pretty much the only option is higher density zoning, to once again avoid the SF problem.

SwimmingSpider
Jan 3, 2008

Jön, jön, jön a vizipók.
Várják már a tólakók.
Ez a kis pók ügyes búvár.
Sok új kaland is még rá vár.

ladyboy pancake posted:

I would like to remind everyone living in King County that April 22nd is the day we vote to either raise taxes or cut up to 17% of bus services. As previously mentioned, Washington's tax system is terrible, but losing the buses will hit people, especially the poor,harder than the increase will.

:siren: The Bus Vote Is Happening :siren:

I've received my voter's form and most of you probably have too. If this bill doesn't pass public transportation services are going to be severely cut, so be sure vote YES before April 22nd!

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

ladyboy pancake posted:

:siren: The Bus Vote Is Happening :siren:

I've received my voter's form and most of you probably have too. If this bill doesn't pass public transportation services are going to be severely cut, so be sure vote YES before April 22nd!

I'm voting for the bus funding, but that Proposition is poorly written and confusing. From reading the Proposition, "...an annual vehicle fee of sixty dollars ($60)..." I thought it was imposing an additional $60 annual car fee, but then I read that it is actually just $40 more a year? Between that and the sales tax increase I don't think this is super likely to pass :saddowns:

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things
Metro has tried so hard to educate people on why this is happening and how they've lost so much funding since 2008 and are basically running a shoe string budget. There's literally no where else they could tighten their belt with out actually cutting routes but i'm still hearing people whine about how they give metro so much money. :( Sorry guys, more of your gas and car taxes are going to lovely roads in the middle of the loving state.

So yesterday at the market a guy asked me to sign a petition for the state of Washington to say that corporations aren't people. I can't figure out how the legal mechanism would work for this but the guy claimed that if enough states got together they could push for a constitutional amendment. That doesn't totally sound logical to me so I took a flyer and told him I would read up on it and seek out a petition to sign when I was ready. Any clue guys?

silicone thrills fucked around with this message at 23:17 on Apr 6, 2014

FRINGE
May 23, 2003
title stolen for lf posting

Tigntink posted:

So yesterday at the market a guy asked me to sign a petition for the state of Washington to say that corporations aren't people. I can't figure out how the legal mechanism would work for this but the guy claimed that if enough states got together they could push for a constitutional amendment. That doesn't totally sound logical to me so I took a flyer and told him I would read up on it and seek out a petition to sign when I was ready. Any clue guys?
This fight will continue until we are literally living in some kind of (fully complete) dystopian cyberpunk corporate surveillance state (and everyone gives up).

The corporations and their purchased politicians have gone from "corporations are people *" to "corporations have Constitutional rights" to "that means free speech" to "money is speech" to "unlimited bribe money is just like talking a lot!".

* At this point its like arguing with a Catholic about Natural Law. All you can do is attack the faulty premise.

One way to shortcut this is to "assign" a physical person as legally culpable for every act a corporation takes. So we would see a constant death-row cycling of patsy CEOs for various war crimes, environmental crime/mass poisonings, economic/political crimes/treasons etc... Suddenly there is no longer a body-less fear-less agent of destruction siphoning money out of the economy with no real repercussions.

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass
For the bus issue, what's the argument against raising bus rates a bit? I know $2.25 or so is already pretty high, but drat $60 on top of car registration is a bit high. I'm already paying $90 or so per year for car registration, so $60 is a huge increase. I'm really on the fence about how to vote for this one--I understand how critical the bus is for a lot of people, but I'd like to know why the increase is so high.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

mod sassinator posted:

For the bus issue, what's the argument against raising bus rates a bit? I know $2.25 or so is already pretty high, but drat $60 on top of car registration is a bit high. I'm already paying $90 or so per year for car registration, so $60 is a huge increase. I'm really on the fence about how to vote for this one--I understand how critical the bus is for a lot of people, but I'd like to know why the increase is so high.

It's a $40 increase, not $60. And the reason it's so high is that Metro's major sources of funding have dried up over the years, first with a repeal of a car value tax back in the '90s and more recently just a general decline in tax revenues. Also the legislature hates Seattle and refused to give us the authority to raise other taxes to cover the shortfalls.

Increasing fares is pretty much the only way to make this more regressive than it already is. And fares have already more than doubled in the past 5 years or so.

You can see the "official" arguments for and against over here.

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
and I'm All out of Ass

Begemot posted:

It's a $40 increase, not $60. And the reason it's so high is that Metro's major sources of funding have dried up over the years, first with a repeal of a car value tax back in the '90s and more recently just a general decline in tax revenues. Also the legislature hates Seattle and refused to give us the authority to raise other taxes to cover the shortfalls.

Increasing fares is pretty much the only way to make this more regressive than it already is. And fares have already more than doubled in the past 5 years or so.

You can see the "official" arguments for and against over here.

Where do you see $40 increase? In my voter guide it says $60 with a $20 rebate for low income households. I assume the majority of people (myself included) will not fall under the low income household threshold.

gohuskies
Oct 23, 2010

I spend a lot of time making posts to justify why I'm not a self centered shithead that just wants to act like COVID isn't a thing.

mod sassinator posted:

Where do you see $40 increase? In my voter guide it says $60 with a $20 rebate for low income households. I assume the majority of people (myself included) will not fall under the low income household threshold.

It's a $60 annual increase, but there's a temporary $20 car tab fee for Metro that's been in place for the past two years that is expiring at the end of this year, so when you consider that fee going away it's a net $40 increase.

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
and I'm All out of Ass
Ahh gotcha, yeah they really could do a lot more to improve the wording of that issue.

Ardennes
May 12, 2002
To be honest, I think Washington state really needs an income tax, trying to fund basic services through fees and sales taxes are going to have its limits with the public (especially since they are both regressive).

Also, it goes back to the other issue of pushing high rise housing, how are high density districts going to work if you don't have much of a rail system to begin with and cut remaining bus services? The freeway systems in Seattle are already overloaded and compared to even Portland there isn't much an alternative. Development is fine to an extent but you actually need to build infrastructure, and the SLUT isn't going to cut it on its own.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
I'll go for an income tax if we dump sales tax.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Ardennes posted:

Development is fine to an extent but you actually need to build infrastructure, and the SLUT isn't going to cut it on its own.

Let's build wooden bicycle bridges everywhere :getin:

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

BraveUlysses posted:

I'll go for an income tax if we dump sales tax.

As a top 3%er i'd go for this in a heart beat. I voted for the last income tax that came on the ballot.

It would have to be on one single proposition though like "We will eliminate these sales taxes and exchange directly for X% income on X brackets"

Idiots would still vote it down because "herp derp derp derp historically everyone raises income taxes derp derp derp"

Gerund
Sep 12, 2007

He push a man

In "Astroturfed opposition to a living wage" news:

quote:

Leaked E-Mail Shows Big Business Trying to Use Small Businesses to Weaken $15 Minimum Wage

We got a call yesterday from a PR guy announcing the social-media rollout of a new coalition lobbying City Hall on an $15-an-hour minimum wage proposal (a proposal that is still amorphous). Called OneSeattle, the group has a snazzy Facebook page and is interested in "how can we best raise people up to $15 while recognizing each individual industry has a different model for getting there," said Alex Fryer. Translation: OneSeattle is the business-run counterpoint to the worker-oriented group 15 Now, which wants a robust $15 wage law.

But who is in this new business group? Besides saying its members included "restaurant, manufacturing, and retail sectors," Fryer was mum. He's still getting a "complete picture" of who is involved. "When we have an announcement later this week, we will tell you who those members are."

But an e-mail leaked to The Stranger today sheds light on many of the members: big businesses and their associations. The letter, which outlines efforts to involve small businesses and workers as part of their public persona, is written by a person who attended the group's big kickoff summit today but could not be named for this post. The meeting of 70 to 100 people was led by Greater Seattle Chamber of Commerce CEO Maud Daudon (the chamber's leading membership includes Starbucks, Amazon, Boeing, Microsoft, etc). In conjunction with the chamber, the group's biggest driver is the Washington Restaurant Association, which is an affiliate of the right-leaning National Restaurant Association that represents the McDonald's Corporation, Burger King Corporation, Yum! Brands Food, 7-11 and most other food giants in the US.

As many have noted, many of those visibly fighting $15-an-hour wages have been owners of small business, even though larger businesses are behind most low wages. A two-thirds majority of low-wage workers in the US work for larger companies, and many of the nation's largest corporations are those that pay workers the least. In Seattle, an estimated 24 percent of Seattle workers (102,000 workers citywide) would benefit from raising the wage to $15 and hour.

OneSeattle's other members: In attendance today, the letter says, were representatives of the Northwest Grocery Association (Safeway, QFC, and Fred Meyer, etc.), Manufacturing Industrial Council of Seattle, Washington Health Care Association (representing over 400 facilities), Eli Lilly and Company pharmaceuticals, the Rental Housing Association of Puget Sound, Washington Athletic Club, Nucor Steel, and on and on. Also present were representatives of several small business including Terra Plata, Zeek's Pizza, Lam's Market, Skillet, and Ethan Stowell Restaurants.

Their goal: Almost everyone raised their hands when asked if they support a policy that would raise the wage to $15 for workers on two conditions: the law is phased in over a period of several years and that it's based on a "total compensation" model. In this formula, an employee's benefits, such as health care and retirement, would be deducted from the $15 wage. Tips would also be deducted from the wage, so an employee who makes more than $5.68 an hour in tips (the difference between the current minimum wage and $15) would still receive $9.32 from their employer as they do now. Daudon was clear that the group wanted both provisions, not just phase in or total-compensation rule. (15 Now supports a phase-in rule but not a total compensation.)

Their strategy: Bob Donegan, CEO of Ivar's restaurant chain, reportedly acknowledged that about 70 percent of Seattle voters support a $15 minimum wage without exceptions, but said, according to recent market research, that the public could be swayed by the appearance of a coalition of businesses, large and small. In that vein, the group discussed outreach to businesses owned by people of color, including Chinese and hispanic chambers of commerce.

Perhaps one of the most remarkable things discussed was a strategy to involve tipped workers themselves, the e-mail says. One bar owner reportedly said 20 bars and restaurants had a meeting with tipped employees to, according to the memo, spread the idea that 15 Now wants to get rid of tips entirely. They told the employees that if a $15 minimum wage is passed without a tip credit, employees will no longer get tips at all. They are reportedly meeting tonight at a Belltown restaurant to plan a march from Cal Anderson Park to City Hall next Tuesday to call for a tip penalty in their own wages.

Donegan reportedly talked about a plan for an initiative that would be ready at the end of the month—which could run head-to-head on the fall ballot against a 15 Now initiative. Some members of the group have sent daily delegation meetings to meet with the mayor and city council, the memo says, which are being organized by Josh McDonald from the Washington Restaurant Association.

The upshot: The people behind OneSeattle are big business, while the people we're seeing in public and on the ground—literally planning to march in the streets—are workers from small, local businesses.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Gerund posted:

I love the bit about lying to waiters and bartenders on how the law would remove all their tip income.

staticman
Sep 12, 2008

Be gay
Death to America
Suck my dick Israel
Mess with Texas
and remember to lmao

Gerund posted:

To the surprise of literally loving nobody. Now only time will tell if this benefits or hurts the anti-living wage movement.

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

quote:

Perhaps one of the most remarkable things discussed was a strategy to involve tipped workers themselves, the e-mail says. One bar owner reportedly said 20 bars and restaurants had a meeting with tipped employees to, according to the memo, spread the idea that 15 Now wants to get rid of tips entirely. They told the employees that if a $15 minimum wage is passed without a tip credit, employees will no longer get tips at all. They are reportedly meeting tonight at a Belltown restaurant to plan a march from Cal Anderson Park to City Hall next Tuesday to call for a tip penalty in their own wages.

The kernel of truth in this is that if people knew their waiters were being paid well they'd be much less likely to feel obligated to tip them. Of course that would mean a welcome return to the idea of gratuity being a way to reward exceptional service.

ReverendCode
Nov 30, 2008

Republicans posted:

The kernel of truth in this is that if people knew their waiters were being paid well they'd be much less likely to feel obligated to tip them. Of course that would mean a welcome return to the idea of gratuity being a way to reward exceptional service.

except that is demonstrably not true, and is the excuse used to keep paying servers $3 an hour in many states.

Edit: wait, this is a gimmick isn't it?

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

ReverendCode posted:

except that is demonstrably not true, and is the excuse used to keep paying servers $3 an hour in many states.

Not to mention minimum wage for wait staff in WA is $9 with tips increasing it to around $13

However piles of states allow only $2-$3 for wait staff:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tipped_wage_in_the_United_States

Gerund
Sep 12, 2007

He push a man

ReverendCode posted:

I've read many a post by the user Republicans and he's more intellectually honest than a gimmick. I also agree wholeheartedly that only good could come with workers that are regulated by the Department of Health are being paid a living wage from the jump.

But in other progressive news:

quote:

Ballard business bumps minimum wage to $15

The $15 minimum wage debate has made some headway in Ballard. Annie Davis, founder of a 30-year-old Ballard based business, Annie’s Nannies, announced last week that she will be paying all of her employees $15 an hour.

Annie’s is a service that links clients to nannies. They employ 4 fulltime, 3 part-time and 60 temporary workers.

“I challenge every business that can afford it to do the same. My company’s new pay scale is my positive protest to draw attention to the need for a higher minimum wage and to pay everyone who works a living wage,” wrote Davis last week in a statement.
Though her employees were already making close to $15 an hour, Davis said that the little extra makes a difference.

“Most people working in Seattle can’t afford to live here. I want my employees to be able to live in the city they work in. … Even $15 an hour might not be enough to cover the high cost of living in Seattle,” said Davis.

Davis said that her business is doing well, reporting her best quarter since 2008. Davis said her clientele are largely upper-middle class families that can afford to pay for nannies. Moreover, Davis thinks those families paying for nanny services are a good indicator of economic conditions.

“Those in the household staffing industry have long said, ‘What happens to us is a precursor of where the economy is heading.’ “

With good earning reports Davis feels she can afford to pay her employees the higher wage and that she has a moral obligation to do so.

Still, Davis is not fully endorsing the 15 Now movement proposed by Seattle City Council member Kshama Sawant.

Seattle’s current wage is already the highest in the nation at $9.19. There is fear that after an increase, businesses will compensate by trimming staff and increasing prices.

Some Seattle industry leaders have already threatened pullbacks. Last week at the Port of Seattle’s round table discussion about the economic condition of the Maritime industry, business leaders adamantly discouraged the wage increase. Some threatened they would move their minimum wage jobs outside of the city.

“When the City steps in with regulations that really get into the heart of how we manage and run our businesses, it makes us all very nervous and uncomfortable, and when you make business nervous and uncomfortable, business doesn’t invest. Business doesn’t try to grow. Business sits back and waits to see what’s going to happen before we make plans for the long term,” said Brian Thomas, Kvichak Marine.

However, Davis feels that larger corporations should be paying the higher wage and would be better able to absorb the extra payroll than small business.

“When we do create minimum wage laws, exemptions need to be considered including special pay scales for entry level positions and teenagers; those who make tips; and businesses and non-profits operating on shoe-string budgets.”

“I’m not in favor of the City mandating the wage across the board, it would be impossible for some businesses to handle it. Imagine a coffee shop paying $4000 rent, insurance, taxes and then $15 an hour per employee – that’s a lot of cups of coffee they need to sell just to get by. However, if you a large chain or if your business can afford, I think they should.”

With over 68% of Seattle voters supporting the wage increase, the big question is how will the City phase it in and will there be exemptions for small businesses. Will different industries have different wages?

Davis said that a revenue threshold would be one way the City could determine which businesses pay the higher wage

“$15 an hour seems quite arbitrary to me, but I guess you have to start somewhere. …I think any business that grosses $1 million a year should have to pay their employees $15. If I ever made that much money, I’d pay my employees a whole lot more than $15!”

Clarification could be on the way. The city council has commissioned a report that studies the effects of a $15 wage that’s set to release this month. The report could give a better picture on how to differentiate between large and small businesses, and whether they will pay the higher wage.

But in the meantime Annie’s Nannies employees have a raise to celebrate.

“You can’t keep an economy going with people living in poverty. … My employees do the day to day work that makes my company profitable and they deserve to be paid for it.”

For those out of the Seattle loop, Ballard is the north-western, largely white-ethnic enclave, largely investment-class contained in the new City Council seat #6 to be elected next in 2015 (along with every other seat thanks to the new 7-2 district charter amendment).

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord

Republicans posted:

You'd think that because our state allows tips on top of minimum wage, that it alone would've already undercut tipping culture to be more about quality instead of just an institutionalized thing. It hasn't really been the case. In that way, I don't think a minimum wage increase alone will change anything.

I'd rather see tips go away completely, anyway.

Gerund posted:

For those out of the Seattle loop, Ballard is the north-western, largely white-ethnic enclave, largely investment-class contained in the new City Council seat #6 to be elected next in 2015 (along with every other seat thanks to the new 7-2 district charter amendment).

It's easy to adopt that when you have the vast majority of your employees as temporary. If it wasn't already easy enough to absorb, she could just shave off a few hours a week and they'd be making the same money every month before the increase.

Gerund
Sep 12, 2007

He push a man

Freakazoid_ posted:

It's easy to adopt that when you have the vast majority of your employees as temporary. If it wasn't already easy enough to absorb, she could just shave off a few hours a week and they'd be making the same money every month before the increase.

At that point your issue is with management having full control over the worker's schedule and the wage system as a whole, not the amount earned per hour.

Best Friends
Nov 4, 2011

Freakazoid_ posted:

If it wasn't already easy enough to absorb, she could just shave off a few hours a week and they'd be making the same money every month before the increase.

A business owner who doesn't make money by their employees showing up is an idiot or a saint. If she is a remotely rational business person (which she apparently is given the size of her business) then cutting hours would be foolish, because there aren't any pointless hours being worked. She is making money from her employees working.

For as business-focused as American culture is, there is a weird misconception that crops up all over the place that employment is basically a form of charity. It isn't. Employers make money by their employees labor. If you can make more money through more labor, but you can't afford to hire more people, you have an issue with capital, not with salary.

oxbrain
Aug 18, 2005

Put a glide in your stride and a dip in your hip and come on up to the mothership.
That's what I've never understood about businesses threatening to cut back on employees or hours. What companies employ more than they need or have workers doing unnecessary hours? In positions that cannot be automated this makes no sense at all. Even for jobs that can be automated all this would do is make it happen slightly sooner.

Also, why is it such a hardship on the company? Prices are calculated based on costs, raising the minimum wage just means you need to charge slightly more.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

ReverendCode posted:

Don't get me wrong, they would totally be better off with a higher wage and I think it's disgusting how states let employers count tips as wages. It's your loving job as an employer to pay your employees. I'm just saying that if I eat out and I know the people serving me are being paid decently it puts some pressure off of me to automtically leave a few bucks on the table.

• Locked thread