Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mikujin
May 25, 2010

(also a lightning rod)

Fingers McLongDong posted:

Hall is usable in other colors I guess, or you could have both it and spear out at the same time. Don't see it being terribly relevant though. Wouldn't be bad in limited.

It might warrant me testing it in monoU as a 1 or 2 of. Not having Master Tokens die when he does seems good

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

A big flaming stink posted:

Let's not go nuts, it's gruul war chant that lets your creatures win combat all the time. How important is it for Big Boros to win creature battles? Is it worth playing a potentially dead card in non-creature matchups?

I would be genuinely pretty surprised if there are any real non-creature matchups come rotation.

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I'm the lead trumpet player, playing loud and high is all I know how to do.

Just wanted to interject the spoiler hype with the following: the Top 8 of GP Phoenix had 27 of a possible 32 copies of Mutavault. The Top 16 adds 29 of 32 possible. SCG Milwaukee featured 23 of 32 possible.

And Mutavault is nowhere to be found in the "top 5 cards" article on the GP coverage page.
http://www.wizards.com/Magic/Magazine/Article.aspx?x=mtg/daily/eventcoverage/gpphx14/welcome

Look at the domination - 80% Mutavault decks, completely overshadowing the next most played card, Thoughtseize in 39% of decks:
http://www.mtgtop8.com/topcards?f=ST&meta=52

Just one thing to think about during spoiler season.

Samael
Oct 16, 2012

Aurelia and Iroas is such a beating, if you have any devotion on the field and play aurelia with the god on the field that's just 20 damage right there, which can't be blocked profitably, with nykthos and such around playing those two T4 and T5 seems like a real possibility.

Alris
Apr 20, 2007

Welcome to the Fantasy Zone!

Get ready!

Victor Surge posted:

Here is a god that happened.

Looks like a thing.

And I just completed my playset of Boros Reckoner :allears:

Johnny Landmine
Aug 2, 2004

PURE FUCKING AINOGEDDON
EDIT: I can't read.

Applebees
Jul 23, 2013

yospos

Count Bleck posted:

Edit: Also gently caress yes I knew the color would be purple :allears:

What's purple?

Crackatastic
May 13, 2005

Ayo, I kinda like your natural scent.
*NO HOMO*

Alris posted:

and you didn't read the nonbo.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!

Crackatastic posted:

and you didn't read the nonbo.

Seems like it'd still be worth playing even if it's a nonbo. Reckoner is good when you don't draw the god and it's about the most efficient devotion enabler in those colors.

cuntman.net
Mar 1, 2013

Applebees posted:

What's purple?

The booster pack.

DurdleDuck
Jul 17, 2013
I just tried to go to mtgsalvation for a non-visual spoiler that I can look at while at work, but wow did they mess up that website. Anybody has any recommendations as to what to use now?

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

Hmm, I wonder what this will do to the mono-black aggro deck Conley has been working on, I mean it seems legit, and having 3, 1 mana 2 power dudes seems legit, especially since this one has bestow.

Especially because you could bestow this on an opponents blocker to get through lethal. May not come up all the time, but seems pretty drat good to me.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
Also, has a relevant creature type if RB Minotaurs becomes a thing. Though I don't think Ragemonger lets you Bestow it for (3), unfortunately.

TheLawinator
Apr 13, 2012

Competence on the battlefield is a myth. The side which screws up next to last wins, it's as simple as that.

Jabor posted:

Also, has a relevant creature type if RB Minotaurs becomes a thing. Though I don't think Ragemonger lets you Bestow it for (3), unfortunately.

Should still work, it's still a Minotaur spell, like a tribal enchantment.

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...

Jabor posted:

TheLawinator posted:

Should still work, it's still a Minotaur spell, like a tribal enchantment.

It does not because it looses its creature type and subtype when you opt to bestow it. It is either Enchantment Creature - Minotaur for B or Enchantment Aura for 3B.

The Tribal type allows creature subtypes to be on cards that normally can't have them. If it was Tribal Enchantment Creature - Minotaur then yes, when you bestowed it it would change to Tribal Enchantment Aura Minotaur. That is what tribal actually does.

jassi007 fucked around with this message at 14:03 on Apr 7, 2014

Sade
Aug 3, 2009

Can't touch this.
No really, you can't
Hoping Keranos is half as awesome as Iroas so I can play UR with him and spellheart chimera.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
Both new mechanics are super :effort: lameness that barely deserve to be keyworded, but I don't care because all the actual cards spoiled have been really cool.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
I can't imagine high-end Boros Midrange really being a thing, though, as much as I would love for Aurelia to be A Thing outside of EDH. I run Lazav in my Phenax deck, and even costing 2 mana less, he only helps Pheanx get online about half the time just due to all the creature destruction in the format. (i.e. Eventually, Phenax and Lazav are the only ones alive. And Aurelia doesn't have Hexproof.)

Iroas definitely has the potential to top off a curve following Boros Reckoner, Brimaz, and/or Spear of Heliod. Either way, I think he would make an amazing Commander.

Myriad Truths
Oct 13, 2012
Strive is potentially really terrifying for Limited, at least in this block specifically. Cards like Reap what is Sown and Dauntless Onslaught are already super dangerous because of the blowout potential.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
I am going to draft so many decks that try to abuse that starfish, I tell you what.

Korak
Nov 29, 2007
TV FACIST
Can someone point out how Iroas, God of Victory isn't completely broken in the current meta?

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Alris posted:

I don't think he's great with Reckoner's since if you're attacking with it, it won't take damage to redirect and that deck doesn't want to play a 3 mana spell that is primarily a blocker. Brimaz on the other hand is ridiculous with that god.

mcmagic fucked around with this message at 14:31 on Apr 7, 2014

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Korak posted:

Can someone point out how Iroas, God of Victory isn't completely broken in the current meta?

UW/Esper control still doesn't care and never runs blockers. Verdict is a sorcery and det sphere exists.

Myriad Truths
Oct 13, 2012

Korak posted:

Well, it's not very good against blue devotion or Esper, and it doesn't slot in especially well into the Boros burn decks except maybe as a 1-of. Not sure how anyone could conclude that it'll be broken, or even that strong.

Korak
Nov 29, 2007
TV FACIST

Madmarker posted:

Hmm, I wonder what this will do to the mono-black aggro deck Conley has been working on, I mean it seems legit, and having 3, 1 mana 2 power dudes seems legit, especially since this one has bestow.

Especially because you could bestow this on an opponents blocker to get through lethal. May not come up all the time, but seems pretty drat good to me.
Heh that's actually going to get a lot of use in limited. I'm gonna say that Standard Dredge could use this guy since it's a cheap body with a way of bestowing and keeping the chain of herald of torments/nighthowlers alive. Also helps that in some board states you have a giant 10/10 and need just a little bit help to get through.

Mortimer posted:

UW/Esper control still doesn't care and never runs blockers. Verdict is a sorcery and det sphere exists.
Err... creature match ups I meant. Reckoner and Brimaz with Iroas vs Thassa and Waves or Polokranos and Domri/Xenagoats.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
Constellation could end up being scary in limited if there's enough cheap common cards that use it. Getting like 3 different effects every time you cast something...

Watch it end up being only on CMC 4+ cards and have no decent effects besides the rare draw-a-card one though.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Myriad Truths posted:

Well, it's not very good against blue devotion or Esper, and it doesn't slot in especially well into the Boros burn decks except maybe as a 1-of. Not sure how anyone could conclude that it'll be broken, or even that strong.

It's not for a Boros burn deck. It's for a White Weenie deck that splashes Red.

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!
Is Suicide Black still a thing that is viable in any format? Because I just noticed that Gnarled Scarhide would fit in rather well with the likes of Sarcomancy, Carnophage, and I guess any other 2-power-1-drops that exist post-Eighth Edition that I can't recall.

Myriad Truths
Oct 13, 2012

mcmagic posted:

It's not for a Boros burn deck. It's for a White Weenie deck that splashes Red.

Yeah but like white weenie isn't even a deck in the current meta so I think we might have been talking at cross purposes there.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Mercury Crusader posted:

Is Suicide Black still a thing that is viable in any format? Because I just noticed that Gnarled Scarhide would fit in rather well with the likes of Sarcomancy, Carnophage, and I guess any other 2-power-1-drops that exist post-Eighth Edition that I can't recall.

I definitely goes with or replaces one of those in Cube.

Why do cubes all seem to run Sarcomancy anyway? Are there really no better black 1 drops by now, or are they running it in addition to Diregraf Ghoul, Rakdoes Cackler, Tormented Hero, etc. etc. rather than instead of?

Is there something I'm missing about Sarcomancy that makes it good card?

Korak
Nov 29, 2007
TV FACIST

tzirean posted:

More importantly: does mono-black's sweeper see play and lock up the deck through rotation, or is it too expensive and/or too weak to some of the format's best creatures?

If it was 2BB I think it could have seen some play, at 4BB it is just too expensive. Enchantment creatures have such a lower curve that you definitely want to go the aggro-"combo" route. Being able to wipe the board on turn 6 just isn't that great.

Although I will definitely test it because maybe there is a more midrange deck that could use it as a one sided sweeper.

DurdleDuck
Jul 17, 2013

Entropic posted:

Why do cubes all seem to run Sarcomancy anyway? Are there really no better black 1 drops by now, or are they running it in addition to Diregraf Ghoul, Rakdoes Cackler, Tormented Hero, etc. etc. rather than instead of?

Is there something I'm missing about Sarcomancy that makes it good card?

It makes a Zombie, which is relevant with Gravecrawler. It also combos with things like Kor Skyfisher.

The enchantment sticks around to power devotion too, but I don't think that's a huge thing in Cube.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

DurdleDuck posted:

The enchantment sticks around to power devotion too, but I don't think that's a huge thing in Cube.

It might be, aren't there Black Chroma cards and doesn't that basically use the same source?

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

Inspired not sticking around in JOU is sorta obnoxious. Not that it was worth building around in BNG, but I always thought "okay, it'll be back in the last set, I'll be able to go deep on the Journey pack then reap rewards in the Born pack."

But nope! It's just a middling mechanic from the middle pack. Good thing they printed all those inspired enablers. :geno:

Vomax
Oct 12, 2005

?

Count Bleck posted:

It might be, aren't there Black Chroma cards and doesn't that basically use the same source?

There's one black chroma card and it only cares about the graveyard. :v: But if you're running a pauper/peasant cube with Gary then it might matter.

Zero_Grade
Mar 18, 2004

Darktider 🖤🌊

~Neck Angels~

Iroas is pretty cool, wonder if RW will get any other fun toys with this set. Might be glad I kept that playset of Reckoners around after all.

Boros Supremacy.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Boxman posted:

Inspired not sticking around in JOU is sorta obnoxious. Not that it was worth building around in BNG, but I always thought "okay, it'll be back in the last set, I'll be able to go deep on the Journey pack then reap rewards in the Born pack."

But nope! It's just a middling mechanic from the middle pack. Good thing they printed all those inspired enablers. :geno:

MaRo posted on his blog today that there are a couple inspired cards in Journey, I'll find it when I'm not on my phone.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Boxman posted:

Honestly I think they just made Inspired so they could make Dark Confidant v0.5

Because they did little to nothing with it.

BXCX
Feb 17, 2012

not even in a bad way
My favorite part of Constellation is Mana Bloom getting picked up as a speculation target again after it first got a lot of hype in Theros spoiler season and never went anywhere.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ShadeofBlue
Mar 17, 2011

Vomax posted:

There's one black chroma card and it only cares about the graveyard. :v: But if you're running a pauper/peasant cube with Gary then it might matter.

I think sarcomancy is a rare though.

• Locked thread