Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

That Irish Gal
Jul 8, 2012

Your existence amounts to nothing more than a goldfish swimming upriver.

PS: We are all actually cats

cafel posted:

It's actually a fairly correct title. I mean as long as you focus on the Middle East or China and not Europe.

You're entirely correct that I was presuming a Euro-centric historical analysis on a piece that I've not read.

... it's a Euro-centric historical analysis anyways though isn't it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cafel
Mar 29, 2010

This post is hurting the economy!

That Irish Guy posted:

You're entirely correct that I was presuming a Euro-centric historical analysis on a piece that I've not read.

... it's a Euro-centric historical analysis anyways though isn't it.

I haven't read it either, but I'm going to take a wild guess and say that it's incredibly Euro-centric. I'm just noting that the Islamic state had a Golden Age of art and science before the twin pressures of the Mongols and Crusaders ended it.

I actually want to read it now out of a perverse sense of curiosity.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold
The first heading under the High Middle Ages Chapter is literally "Islam vs Civilization".

Bait and Swatch
Sep 5, 2012

Join me, Comrades
In the Star Citizen D&D thread

cafel posted:

I haven't read it either, but I'm going to take a wild guess and say that it's incredibly Euro-centric. I'm just noting that the Islamic state had a Golden Age of art and science before the twin pressures of the Mongols and Crusaders ended it.

Not to debunk the idea of perpetual western military prowess, but the Arabs were thriving in the midst of the crusades. The period of time considered to be the Islamic golden age begins right before the first crusade. If anything, the Muslims used the crusaders as just another chess-piece for their own internal disputes.

cafel
Mar 29, 2010

This post is hurting the economy!

Bait and Swatch posted:

Not to debunk the idea of perpetual western military prowess, but the Arabs were thriving in the midst of the crusades. The period of time considered to be the Islamic golden age begins right before the first crusade. If anything, the Muslims used the crusaders as just another chess-piece for their own internal disputes.

I suppose I was silently placing much more weight on the Mongols and the sacking of Baghdad than the Crusaders carving out rump states. Either way using 'Islam vs. Civilization' to describe that period is stupid enough to give me a head ache.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Raskolnikov38 posted:

The first heading under the High Middle Ages Chapter is literally "Islam vs Civilization".

I wonder just how much of that chapter is spent fellating Charlie the Hammer's dusty cock? I'm betting at least 2/3rds.

Thomas13206
Jun 18, 2013

FMguru posted:

Sullivan is a tremendous piece of poo poo. You forgot to mention his continued advocacy for racist junk eugenics that proves negroes are just born stupid, the poor dears, so there's literally nothing to be done for them, might as well dismantle the welfare state right now, WHY WON'T YOU LIBERALS ACCEPT THIS IRON-CLAD SCIENTIFIC PROOF?!?.

He spent a lot of time crusading against gay promiscuity and bathhouse culture - at least he did until his gay hookup internet profile came surfaced and we all had a good laugh at it, and he went into a snit about privacy and decency and leaving someone's private sex life alone. Which would have been a little more credible if he hadn't spent his every waking moment in the 1990s repeating every single Drudge/tabloid slur about Bill and Hillary Clinton from his perch as editor of The New Republic.

Finally, the real measure of the man is found is his immediate post-9/11 writing, where he went full neocon and wrote a famous column about how the real threat to America was how decadent coastal leftist elites will unite with Al-Qaeda to launch a "fifth column" terror offensive.

gently caress him. I hope he dies soon, and in agonizing pain.

I'd pretty much cosign all of this, and I'd like to add that his hypocritical internet hookup profile was him soliciting anonymous bareback fucks while being HIV positive.

Miltank
Dec 27, 2009

by XyloJW
The crusades weren't really that big of a deal for the major players in Europe. They were basically just a way to get marauding youth to stop marauding in Europe.

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012

pd187 posted:

I'd pretty much cosign all of this, and I'd like to add that his hypocritical internet hookup profile was him soliciting anonymous bareback fucks while being HIV positive.

Andrew Sullivan is sort of like the Michelle Malkin or Katie Roiphe of gay issues (i.e., someone who got attention because they bashed their own "groups"), only he is savvy enough to every once in a while take the safest controversial stance on a topic to look moderate and sane. And then he will of course play up how he was a martyr for taking that position. So he claims that the left was out to get him when he decided to defend gay marriage, but of course he doesn't mention that the reason for that was that he used gay marriage to attack the "libidinal pathology" of gay culture, and talk nonstop about how San Francisco made him sick, how you should read this book about why Matthew Sheppard totally deserved it, and how there should be no hate crime or anti-discrimination legislation. And so of course now he will be very popular again as the gay man who takes the mantle of defending the right of people to be bigots against gay people.

joepinetree fucked around with this message at 07:49 on Apr 7, 2014

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich

That Irish Guy posted:

What in the loving hell? How could you possibly even come to such a lovely conclusion? lovely doesn't even come close to describing such a blatently wrong conclusion.

bad=good
good=bad
oh boy i sure hope that gets under the skin of those ivory-tower bastard profs who wouldn't argue with ~MEEEE~ for the entire class session every class session

that is the only loving thing I can think of

Loathed as I am to defend one of these regressive assholes, the idea of the middle ages as an intellectual backwater was pretty much made up out of whole cloth by Petrarch saying that if it wasn't inspired by the Romans it must have been bullshit. The standardization of language in the period (that is, making everyones writing legible to everyone else) was one of the biggest advances that gets overlooked. And then you've got the huge reduction in slavery (that came roaring right back with the renaissance).

Sure, overall the renaissance was better, but the idea of the dark ages as actively regressive is a bit much.

Hypation
Jul 11, 2013

The White Witch never knew what hit her.

Fulchrum posted:

Loathed as I am to defend one of these regressive assholes, the idea of the middle ages as an intellectual backwater was pretty much made up out of whole cloth by Petrarch saying that if it wasn't inspired by the Romans it must have been bullshit. The standardization of language in the period (that is, making everyones writing legible to everyone else) was one of the biggest advances that gets overlooked. And then you've got the huge reduction in slavery (that came roaring right back with the renaissance).

Sure, overall the renaissance was better, but the idea of the dark ages as actively regressive is a bit much.

How mainstream is FOX in the US?

In Australia the loony and deliberately misinformed right wingers are top rated on radio.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Hypation posted:

In Australia the loony and deliberately misinformed right wingers are top rated on radio.

I'd say that it represents the mainstream of older, middle-class white male opinion. The average Fox viewer is 68 years old, so that should give you an idea of what their demographic is like.

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Hypation posted:

Number one most watched cable news network by a wide margin.

Bluemillion
Aug 18, 2008

I got your dispensers
right here

Zeroisanumber posted:

The average Fox viewer is 68 years old, so that should give you an idea of what their demographic is like.

Whoa! Is that number for real? I want to see where you got it from. That's a seriously aging demographic.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Fulchrum posted:

Not that the other ones give you a reason to watch outside of prime time.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Bluemillion posted:

Whoa! Is that number for real? I want to see where you got it from. That's a seriously aging demographic.

Frank Rich broke down the numbers for a New York Magazine piece earlier in the year.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Fulchrum posted:

Doesn't this still mean that most people who watch news don't watch FOX news?

ie: Viewers who want FOX's spin will tune-in, but they're still greatly outnumbered by viewers getting their news from CNN, BBC, MSNBC, the broadcast networks, etc. Nobody else is really competing for that particular demographic.

turnip kid
May 24, 2010
Don't like 10-15 million tune into the network nightly news and about 1 million tune into Fox at best?

Flaggy
Jul 6, 2007

Grandpa Cthulu needs his napping chair

Grimey Drawer
I learned an interesting fact reading the new book on Roger Ailes, Fox had to put a spinning logo in the bottom right hand corner because people were writing in to complain they non spinning one was burning the image into the tv.

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump

Flaggy posted:

I learned an interesting fact reading the new book on Roger Ailes, Fox had to put a spinning logo in the bottom right hand corner because people were writing in to complain they non spinning one was burning the image into the tv.

Ha, that's great. It's amazing how one sentence can tell you so much about an audience. I got viewing habits, TVs, and means of correspondence out of that. Truly old as gently caress

turnip kid
May 24, 2010

mr. mephistopheles posted:

How in the gently caress does he make comparisons between two vastly different countries with vastly different laws? Like, how do you look at Afghanistan and say "hurrr they have IDs no reason poor American's can't have IDs." The sheer amount of willful ignorance required to make a 1:1 comparison between the two is mind-boggling.

The guy is a truly malignant dummy. He can't even go beyond reposting that one picture two dozen times to argue his point. He has no argument; he's a poo poo-stirrer who drinks his own poo poo.

I try to stay away from the #tcot/Twitchy crowd.

turnip kid fucked around with this message at 16:46 on Apr 7, 2014

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

lil mortimer posted:

Don't like 10-15 million tune into the network nightly news and about 1 million tune into Fox at best?

Fox averages a daily viewership of around 2 million. Major network nightly news averages about 10 million per network.

Fox number are actually kinda sad when you realize they are the only tv news source for crazy right wingers. Except the ten extra crazy people who pay for The Blaze.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

Zeroisanumber posted:

I'd say that it represents the mainstream of older, middle-class white male opinion. The average Fox viewer is 68 years old, so that should give you an idea of what their demographic is like.

To be fair the average for the rest of cable news is like 62 or 63. It's an old people market all around. The median voter age is creeping up toward 50 as well.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

comes along bort posted:

To be fair the average for the rest of cable news is like 62 or 63. It's an old people market all around. The median voter age is creeping up toward 50 as well.

That's not terrible, considering the median age in the US is like 36-37 and you can't vote until you're eighteen.

poor nose
Oct 29, 2005

So I just stumbled upon this on reddit but it is absolutely hilarious. Sean Hannity and Mark Levin called into a radio show in 2006 that was interviewing Alec Baldwin and had total hissy fits for 10 minutes. It ends with Alec declaring that Levin is Hannity's Cabin Boy.

The best loving part is Sean berating Alec because Alec said some not nice things about our President while he is trying to lead troops in a war over seas, compare it to all the things Hannity says about Obama now.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rjnNo1j0THA

Radio Nowhere
Jan 8, 2010

mr. mephistopheles posted:

Fox number are actually kinda sad when you realize they are the only tv news source for crazy right wingers. Except the ten extra crazy people who pay for The Blaze.

I think I've seen The Blaze more then Fox News the last 6 months since Dish keeps putting Blaze on month long previews (psst Dish, nobody wants it). Yes I do subscribe to a Dish package so low even Fox won't pay for it, fringe perks. I still get Daily Show and MSNBC though, liberal media! :argh:

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

comes along bort posted:

MSNBC captures the youth market well with an average age of 59. Also to be fair, tv overall skews older.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

Vertical Lime posted:

MSNBC captures the youth market well with an average age of 59. Also to be fair, tv overall skews older.

Also something like a third of their audience is black. They're an outlier pretty much universally.

Related to this Pew did a survey of news consumption habits a couple years back that's really interesting:

http://www.people-press.org/2012/09/27/in-changing-news-landscape-even-television-is-vulnerable/

kik2dagroin
Mar 23, 2007

Use the anger. Use it.
Limbaugh spent another day ranting about how the gay fascists are suppressing the free speech of our once proud country :911:

quote:

RUSH: Ten years ago... Maybe not even that long ago. Six years ago, the polling data on gay marriage was different. You could hardly find a significant percentage of people who were for it. Now five/six years later, the polling data has done an amazing reversal, something like -- if I remember this right, and I don't have this in front of me. There was voluminous stuff I read over the weekend.

I think 60% of the country now favors gay marriage. Now, do you think...? I'll just ask a question. It's an open-ended question. I just want you to think about this: Has there really been a 50 to 60% shift in active support for gay marriage? Well, I'm just asking. People are saying it. I'm not challenging the polling data. Now, don't misunderstand. I'm not challenging the data.

I'm accepting the data that 60% support gay marriage and in 10 years it's gone from 50% to 60%. I'm accepting the polling data. Well, I can draw you an analogy, I think, in perhaps answering this. How many people voted for Barack Obama 'cause they really supported what he intended to do, versus how many people were afraid not to? I think what's happening here is fascism equals intimidation, and the intimidation is working.

You know as well as I do that people are scared to death to tell you what they really think. The left has politicized everything -- everything -- to the point that people are afraid to go against what they know to be political correctness, which is nothing more than liberal fascism, nothing more than censorship or what have you. They're afraid to speak up against it.

The Tea Party says the wrong thing, and the government sicks the IRS on you, under the guise that you're just filled with hatred and bigotry. "You've got to be shut up for the public good." Free speech doesn't get balanced. Political speech -- free speech under the First Amendment -- was wide open. Nobody could stop any of it. Not according to the Constitution, not according to the Founders. It doesn't get balanced.

Barack Obama makes Brendan Eich being fascist'd out of a job possible. It's Barack Obama who's running the never-ending campaign against these powerful, mean-spirited forces trying to undermine his good intentions and his good works. He's the first president in my lifetime who's actually said of his opponents, "They don't care about you. They don't have any good intentions."

It's Barack Obama who last week went out to a group on the campaign trail and said he couldn't understand why Republicans "don't want people to have health insurance," smiling and laughing (impression), "I don't know! I don't know! I don't know why folks want to take health insurance away people. I really don't." Nobody does! The only person actually causing people to lose their health insurance is Barack Obama.

By virtue of his own work. By virtue of his own policies. But anybody who opposes him -- anybody who opposes, for example, Obamacare -- just wants to take people's health care away. He always says, "I'll listen to anybody with good idea," but there aren't any good ideas outside of his. He categorizes the Republican opposition as mean-spirited, cruel. They want to take everything away from you.

They want to take away your Social Security. They want to take away your health care. They want to cut your food stamps. They want take away your benefits. His entire presidency is built on slandering the opposition. Not debating it. Not working together with people. Not being bipartisan, which he claims he wants to be. No, no. It's spent defaming, and this creates an open highway for his supporters to do the same.

It demonstrates it in terms of the fascism and the power in the minds of voters, people outside politics, the power of intentions, good intentions and how that inoculates you. It's been staring me in the face for 25 years. It's taken me way too long to put this together. I'm kind of embarrassed it's taken me this long. I'll say the reason is I didn't think it'd be this successful. No way.

I remember when Media Matters first opened up for business and they started with a front page of me and the 25 most outrageous things I'd said about feminism. They were hilarious. I looked at this and thanked them. I said. "This is some of the greatest comedy material." No way were people gonna think it was real. But they did. That's where I missed it. They believed these mischaracterizations and lies.

What was what? Oh. Snerdley wants to know what was one of the things that I thought was funny when Media Matters rolled out their website and their front page had 25 hateful things spouted by me about feminism. One of 'em was "I love the women's movement, especially when walking behind it." They put that in there. That was "hatred," folks. That equaled hatred of women.

That was sexism, and it was bigotry, and it was hatred when I said it in a television debate when I was Sacramento.
The liberal mayor of Davis, California, was wringing his hands over, "You got me wrong. I love the women's movement, especially when walking behind it." His mouth fell open, and the crew started laughing. That equaled hatred, bigotry. That was just, "Ewwww, it's so ugly!"

So I got an e-mail, "Well, Rush, how come these people haven't targeted anybody at Intel? They obviously know who they are because the records were released, made public, of who donated [to proposition 8]." If one of these employees at Intel is ever named or is ever up for CEO, that's when they will go into gear. That's when the Gay Mafia will arise and come up with whatever it takes to kill the guy or the woman's chances.

Maybe not just CEO. Maybe if somebody's up for CFO. I guarantee you this. They've got the list of donors, they know who worked where at that time. So if one of those names pops up years from now as CEO anywhere, that's when they'll go into gear and take 'em out, and they'll do it saying, "This person supported and donated to bigotry and hatred of Prop 8 in 2008!"

The end result of this have is too that fewer and fewer people will go public if it means giving money or saying anything. They'll just shut up. This the purpose. One of objectives of fascism is to intimidate your opponents into just giving up, just shutting up. "Just stop opposing us." That's Obama's modus operandi. They don't want a level playing field. They don't want anybody else on it. They want to eliminate the opposition.
http://www.rushlimbaugh.com/daily/2014/04/07/liberal_fascist_bullies_have_created_a_climate_of_fear_so_you_ll_give_up
There you have it. Because Obama is President fascism is on the rise and the homomafia is going to come and bedazzle your shoes if you don't shut the gently caress up with your bigoted hate speech!

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Who needs a house out in Hackensack? Is that all you get for your money?
People don't change their opinions of their own free will. They have to be strong-armed by jack-booted thugs to change their minds!

Ghost of Reagan Past
Oct 7, 2003

rock and roll fun
You missed the best part.

quote:

How many people voted for Barack Obama 'cause they really supported what he intended to do, versus how many people were afraid not to?
I don't even know what this means. Well, I do, but it's amazingly nutty.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Ghost of Reagan Past posted:

Because if you didn't vote for the black guy you'd be racist.

kik2dagroin posted:

Because Obama is President fascism is on the rise and the homomafia is going to come and bedazzle your shoes if you don't shut the gently caress up with your bigoted hate speech!

And don't forget the bromafia.

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.

Ghost of Reagan Past posted:

He almost has a valid point. Except he meant it as "being afraid not to because RACIST" and not "being afraid not to because BATSHIT GOP Robber-Baron"

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

kik2dagroin posted:

Limbaugh spent another day ranting about how the gay fascists are suppressing the free speech of our once proud country :911:

http://www.rushlimbaugh.com/daily/2014/04/07/liberal_fascist_bullies_have_created_a_climate_of_fear_so_you_ll_give_up
There you have it. Because Obama is President fascism is on the rise and the homomafia is going to come and bedazzle your shoes if you don't shut the gently caress up with your bigoted hate speech!

Good.

Like, what's the reaction here? The gay mafia is going to tell people that bigots did bigoted things? Oh noooo.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Tatum Girlparts posted:

Good.

Like, what's the reaction here? The gay mafia is going to tell people that bigots did bigoted things? Oh noooo.

Real intolerance is being held to account for your terrible opinions.

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012

Bluemillion posted:

They're the only ones with the time to waste on being constantly angry about things on the TV.

pig slut lisa
Mar 5, 2012

irl is good

poor nose posted:

So I just stumbled upon this on reddit but it is absolutely hilarious. Sean Hannity and Mark Levin called into a radio show in 2006 that was interviewing Alec Baldwin and had total hissy fits for 10 minutes. It ends with Alec declaring that Levin is Hannity's Cabin Boy.

The best loving part is Sean berating Alec because Alec said some not nice things about our President while he is trying to lead troops in a war over seas, compare it to all the things Hannity says about Obama now.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rjnNo1j0THA

"Alec Baldwin, I challenge you to come on my program and back up all your tough talk!"
--A man who has still not been waterboarded

:ironicat:

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:
What I think is impressive is how Rush passes off his misogyny as "comedy material", in the eleventh paragraph.

Yeah okay, walk it back when you get called out bro. We believe you. :rolleyes:

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Mister Macys posted:

What I think is impressive is how Rush passes off his misogyny as "comedy material", in the eleventh paragraph.

Yeah okay, walk it back when you get called out bro. We believe you. :rolleyes:

Also he's trying to draw a link to that and giving money to a political movement.

"You dumb libs he was giving money to anti-gay causes as a goof!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Malachi Constant
Feb 2, 2006

I was a victim of a series of accidents, as are we all

Tatum Girlparts posted:

Good.

All I can imagine when I hear this defense is some racist in the 50's railing about how "all of a sudden I'm getting vilified by the fascists who insist that interracial marriage is suddenly okay. Geez, if you dare say that you don't want interracial marriage shoved down your throat and paraded around as 'normal', then suddenly you're a racist."

Not that I think Rush believes anything he says, but do people not see this obvious parallel? Surely they must see that they're on the wrong side of history.