Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010
Anybody watch the Sizzling Bacon thing? Billed as some deep, Memento like mystery.

Somebody filmed themselves cooking bacon.

Netflix is playing the video backwards.

That's it.

So dumb.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ellie the beep
Jun 15, 2007

Vaginas, my subject.
Plane hulls, my medium.
Well then you're not going to like its thematic sister, Rotisserie Chicken.

Shwqa
Feb 13, 2012

RickVoid posted:

Anybody watch the Sizzling Bacon thing? Billed as some deep, Memento like mystery.

Somebody filmed themselves cooking bacon.

Netflix is playing the video backwards.

That's it.

So dumb.

I thought that was nextflix's April fools joke.

Ishamael
Feb 18, 2004

You don't have to love me, but you will respect me.

Shwqa posted:

I thought that was nextflix's April fools joke.

It was indeed. Looks like it caught at least one person.

Captain Trips
May 23, 2013
The sudden reminder that I have no fucking clue what I'm talking about
What's the deal with Rubber? It popped up because I gave Sharknado four stars (don't start) and the synopsis just sounds hilariously odd.

HOW COULD YOU
Jun 1, 2006

The man in black fled across Middle Tennessee, and Pierre followed.

Captain Trips posted:

What's the deal with Rubber? It popped up because I gave Sharknado four stars (don't start) and the synopsis just sounds hilariously odd.

It's really weird and artsy

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Captain Trips posted:

It's a really bad film with a funny premise that has basically no high points. It tries doing the whole meta thing too.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
I found Rubber to be highly entertaining, personally. Basically, watch this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eWjtR1DpNFo

If that amused you, watch Rubber. If not, don't.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Captain Trips posted:

It's a movie designed from the ground up to piss off people who like the idea of a killer tire as a horror villain.

Vaginaface
Aug 26, 2013

HEY REI HEY REI,
do vaginaface!
Narco Cultura is good, in a very :stare: kind of way. It's about the cartel wars in Juarez and other areas of Mexico and the celebrity culture surrounding them. Real bodies and nudity and poo poo though, so be warned.

Vaginaface has a new favorite as of 08:13 on Apr 6, 2014

MeatRocket8
Aug 3, 2011

If anyone remembers the movie Angus, it's on Youtube:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6K17-Mnx7Co

Vriess
Apr 30, 2013

Select the items of interest in the scene.

Returned with Honor.
Bob's Burgers: Season 3.

Hell's to the yeah.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

Yeesh, avoid The Last Days on Mars. Totally derivative movie, you can guess the plot from square one. Decent effects, solid budget, Liev Schreiber can't save it though.

On the opposite end of the scale is Robinson Crusoe on Mars. Fairly intelligent movie about a wise-cracking professional astronaut stranded on Mars. Production values and effects on par with a Disney movie from the same era, more or less. Very well shot with gorgeous colors and vistas.

One of the coolest things about the movie is that he manages to survive with the help of a pet monkey and a knapsack-sized, analog version of an iPhone- it plays videos, records audio and video and lets him make just one important call; it's solar powered to boot. The shocker is- it's from 1964! Bonus guest star: Adam West!

Binary Badger has a new favorite as of 08:41 on Apr 6, 2014

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Last night I watched The Punk Singer a biography of Kathleen Hanna.

I've been a big fan of her since way back in the day when Bikini Kill was just a rad band on my friend's brother's record label and my admiration for her and her music has only grown over the years.

If you like punk, feminism, independent music, and/or riot grrl or are even curious about those things, I highly recommend it. Hell, even if you just played the game Gone Home and are curious about the music featured in it (even if Bikini Kill wasn't actually in the game for whatever reason, their sensibilities are all through it) you should give it a watch.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
Watched Mud yesterday, it was a really good movie in my opinion, sort of along the lines of Stand By Me. It's essentially Huck Finn rewritten with McConaghey as Jim but the entire film is done in an almost surreal, understated fashion as the two boys stumble through puberty and right and wrong in this impoverished town where almost all the adults are sad failures of people who're just barely scraping by.

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

arf arf put the money in the fuckin bag

coyo7e posted:

Watched Mud yesterday, it was a really good movie in my opinion, sort of along the lines of Stand By Me. It's essentially Huck Finn rewritten with McConaghey as Jim but the entire film is done in an almost surreal, understated fashion as the two boys stumble through puberty and right and wrong in this impoverished town where almost all the adults are sad failures of people who're just barely scraping by.

I'll second this, I really enjoyed it as well. About half of the characters are just a little bit too weird to be real, but the other half are totally recognizable to someone who grew up in a similar region.

Vagon
Oct 22, 2005

Teehee!
Has anyone watched some of the series Supernatural? Apparently it gets good a few seasons in but i'm struggling with the first. A friend of mine desperately wants me in on it, however.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Vagon posted:

Has anyone watched some of the series Supernatural? Apparently it gets good a few seasons in but i'm struggling with the first. A friend of mine desperately wants me in on it, however.
It goes well off the rails the farther you go in. I think I gave up the third or fourth season when for the third or fourth time, one the two bros (it flips between seasons) broke a pact with a supernatural entity to bring someone back from the dead or whatever. Then Angels started showing up and they tried to make it super complicated instead of "two brothers driving around the coun try fighting monsters of the week) and I lost interest entirely.

Their car is really cool though, I read an interview with someone who laid out the process of choosing their big black Impala rather than some hot poo poo sports car that they could have used as advertising revenue or something.

Drunk Tomato
Apr 23, 2010

If God wanted us sober,
He'd knock the glass over.

Vagon posted:

It's the most tumblriffic show due to all the attractive male leads, so take that as you may. It's dumb though self aware.

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Vagon posted:

Conversely, I loved seasons 3-5 because it balanced Monster of the Week shows with actual serialized storytelling.

The first season is kind of rough but once it hits its groove it's roughly on par with X-Files only with fantasy instead of sci-fi.

It does have a truly terrible fanbase, though the fact that later seasons actively mocks them makes up for it.

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

Vagon posted:

I quite like it. The acting is pretty crap, but increasingly self aware as it goes on. Some of the recurring villains are pretty excellent as well.

It has the worst fans of anything ever though, truly.

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

arf arf put the money in the fuckin bag

I really enjoyed the first couple seasons of Supernatural since they were still very much grounded in the premise. It starts getting kind of weird after awhile, but if you make it past the first bit and still like it (which you may! it's very good), you might get into it.

Meatwave
Feb 21, 2014

Truest Detective - Work Crew Division.
:dong::yayclod:
I watched Supernatural until I realized I was mostly enjoying the music, the car, and the road trip. Do they still play classic rock in later seasons or did that get too expensive?

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no glitter in the gutter~
~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

coyo7e posted:

Yeah, this was really enjoyable. I am surprised I'd never heard of it until it popped up.

Light Gun Man posted:

I found Rubber to be highly entertaining, personally. Basically, watch this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eWjtR1DpNFo

If that amused you, watch Rubber. If not, don't.

This is an excellent test to see if you're about to have your time wasted. It's a shame I watched the whole film before figuring that out :smith:

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Anyone recommend any great French movies with English subtitles? I've been slowly trying to learn the language.

Vriess
Apr 30, 2013

Select the items of interest in the scene.

Returned with Honor.

Rolo posted:

Anyone recommend any great French movies with English subtitles? I've been slowly trying to learn the language.

Amèlie, of course.

traslin
Feb 19, 2004
Hooked On Phoenix

Rolo posted:

It isn't a movie, but I've heard good things about Spiral, http://www.netflix.com/WiMovie/Spiral/70242540?trkid=13641790 . Also, Count de Monte Cristo is a classic, http://www.netflix.com/WiMovie/The_Count_of_Monte_Cristo/70273253?trkid=13641790 .

PaleBlueDot
Feb 13, 2012

All the way from
Transylvania
Blue is the Warmest Color is in French and has English subtitles. It's good, if not fairly :nws: at times

MacGowans Teeth
Aug 13, 2003

Rolo posted:

Last I looked, all of the French series "Spiral" was on Netflix. That's a pretty good one. District 13 is fun - an action movie featuring parkour. "With a Friend Like Harry" (Harry, un ami qui vous veut du bien) is great - I hadn't realized until now that it was on Netflix. A guy is traveling to his run-down vacation house with his family, stops at a gas station, and runs into someone who apparently knew him in high school, who remembers his poems from the school literary journal well enough to quote them from memory. And then it goes from there.

Also, "The Visitors", starring Jean Reno, is hilarious. "The Count of Monte Cristo," with Gerard Depardieu, is a miniseries and it's supposed to be pretty true to the novel, although I haven't seen it.

If you watch Amelie and like it, try "The City of Lost Children" (starring Ron Perlman) and "Delicatessen," which Jean-Pierre Jeunet directed with Marc Caro. They have some similarities to Amelie, but they're both darker. I don't think either is on Netflix, but you could always find it on Amazon or one of the other services.

thrakkorzog
Nov 16, 2007

Vagon posted:

It's pretty much like most genre shows, "The first season is OK at best, but then it gets better." Any given episode could be something straight out of a horror film, or a silly episode that not only leans on the fourth wall, but knocks it over and dances on top of it. A lot of the writers used to write for Buffy the Vampire Slayer and Angel, so if you like those shows, then you would probably enjoy Supernatural.

thrakkorzog has a new favorite as of 18:50 on Apr 9, 2014

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

thrakkorzog posted:

It's pretty much like most genre shows, "The first season is OK at best, but then it gets better." Any given episode could be something straight out of a horror film, or a silly episode that not only leans on the fourth wall, but knocks it over and dances on top of it. A lot of the writers used to write for Buffy the Vampire Slayer and Angel, so if you like those shows, then you would probably enjoy Supernatural

I really haven't watched more than an episode or two past season 6, but the Trickster episodes are the best episodes.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

I've been plugging away at Supernatural for a bit and I really like it. I've only begun the third season but there are enough moment of self-awareness that it makes the samey arguments between the brothers more tolerable.

Iliza Shlesinger: War Paint is pretty good but I'm a huge sucker for standup. She leans a little too heavy on the goat voice and the funny woman starts to become Jim Breuer.

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009

MacGowans Teeth posted:

District 13 is fun - an action movie featuring parkour.

I'll wait for the shot-for-shot remake featuring Paul Walker as the cop and the same French dude playing the good criminal again.

Teeter
Jul 21, 2005

Hey guys! I'm having a good time, what about you?

Rolo posted:

Micmacs was a lot of fun to watch but after looking it up for you I see that it is no longer available to stream. I'd recommend it if you happen to have other avenues for movies beyond Netflix that could have it available.

Aside from that and what's been mentioned, I've heard good things about Mesrine but haven't watched it myself yet. It is being removed in 3 days so I'll probably watch that tonight and edit this post later!

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Awesome, I have a list now. Thanks guys!

Bunk Rogers
Mar 14, 2002

Rolo posted:

Amelie and Intouchables are both good.

HOW COULD YOU
Jun 1, 2006

The man in black fled across Middle Tennessee, and Pierre followed.

Rolo posted:

Awesome, I have a list now. Thanks guys!

If Starbuck is still on netflix, watch that. A french film so rad that hollywood remade it with vince vaughn to make them rue the day they ever tried to make a really good movie.

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it

Inzombiac posted:

I've been plugging away at Supernatural for a bit and I really like it. I've only begun the third season but there are enough moment of self-awareness that it makes the samey arguments between the brothers more tolerable.

If the brothers arguing about the same crap brothers you (current spoiler) THEY NEVER STOP FIGHTING ABOUT THE SAME STUPID CRAP but it's still enjoyable

hamster_style
Nov 24, 2004
neenjah!
Boondocks season 2 is up on Netflix.

Also Tom Segura's comedy special is pretty funny.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leper Residue
Sep 28, 2003

To where no dog has gone before.

Inzombiac posted:

Like Spoeank said, they never stop. But they become more and more self aware, and have no problems with just going all out with making fun of themselves or just coming up with more and more ridiculous poo poo.

It's not a 'good' show, it isn't 'well written'. But by jove, it's a silly and fun show and I can't help but love it.

Edit: The first season is kind of terrible though.

Leper Residue has a new favorite as of 06:48 on Apr 16, 2014

• Locked thread