Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ninja Gamer
Nov 3, 2004

Through howling winds and pouring rain, all evil shall fear The Hurricane!

Seaside Loafer posted:

I thought his green one was the one he made himself or something whereas the blue one was daddys.

This is almost certainly expanded univerise bullshit though, sounds nice though.

No EU needed. Both of those points are explicitly made in the films.

And I didn't mean to imply that the lightsaber blade was literally changing color as result of Luke moving towards the dark side, just that the weapon the he crafted himself might have been used to give the audience some insight towards what is going on with the character. On that note, it is interesting that the handle of Luke's lightsaber looks very similar to Obi-Wan's and is quite different from his father's lightsaber. Darth Vader's saber looks very much like the one he had as Anakin Skywalker but with darker trim. Luke consciously chose to abandon the grip he had become used to of the course of a couple years in order to emulate his first teacher.

Think about that next time you watch Return of the Jedi and you get to the scene in which Luke surrenders himself to Vader on Endor. Vader inspects his son's lightsaber.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seaside Loafer
Feb 7, 2012

Waiting for a train, I needed a shit. You won't bee-lieve what happened next

KaLogain posted:

That is what "happened." There were some deleted scenes where they showed him making his own lightsaber. And they did make it green to show up better against the blue sky.
Hah, bit of nerdage youtube searching due for tonight then!

Automatic Slim
Jul 1, 2007

Muppetjedi posted:

The more in tune with the force, Luke Skywalker becomes, the clearer the ghost of Obi-Wan Kenobi becomes.

This is too good not to believe.

The North Tower
Aug 20, 2007

You should throw it in the ocean.

Automatic Slim posted:

"In fact, this is so genius I have a feeling that George Lucas had nothing to do with it and probably fought against putting it in the movie."

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

A subtle moment I remember from Star-Wars was in the short documentaries included on the DVD it actually could have been the old video cassette... the gold boxset.

In the interviews, whenever George Lucas is talking about something that wasn't technically feasible at the time, he refers to "they" not being able to do it, yet whenever he talks about something "good" he refers to it as "I" decided to... etc.

Even as a little kid I was able to pick up on the enormity of the man's ego and childishness.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Any SW fan should watch all the bonus content for the prequels. George finally has unadulterated control over his projects and it's very obvious that he has no idea what he's doing. His chief executive, or whatever, seems like a clever and level-headed guy but doesn't stand up to George's lovely ideas. Every time you see him, he's just got this look like, "You've got to be loving kidding me. This guy is a moron but I need this job."

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Inzombiac posted:

Any SW fan should watch all the bonus content for the prequels. George finally has unadulterated control over his projects and it's very obvious that he has no idea what he's doing. His chief executive, or whatever, seems like a clever and level-headed guy but doesn't stand up to George's lovely ideas. Every time you see him, he's just got this look like, "You've got to be loving kidding me. This guy is a moron but I need this job."

I, too, saw the RedLetterMedia Phantom Menace review.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

The North Tower posted:

"In fact, this is so genius I have a feeling that George Lucas had nothing to do with it and probably fought against putting it in the movie."

There is one thing in the Star Wars prequels that is genius and had nothing to do with Lucas. Of everyone who uses a lightsabre in the movies, only Count Dooku's is actually a sabre - the regular ones are used as broadswords. This was done at Christopher Lee's request, as he is a trained fencer.

Even famed control freak George Lucas knows that you listen to Christopher Lee aand do what he says.

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

...of SCIENCE! posted:

I, too, saw the RedLetterMedia Phantom Menace review.

I think its getting a little played out to mention RLM anytime anyone says anything about the prequels.

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

Darkrai used Dream Eater!
It's super effective!

Jedit posted:

There is one thing in the Star Wars prequels that is genius and had nothing to do with Lucas. Of everyone who uses a lightsabre in the movies, only Count Dooku's is actually a sabre - the regular ones are used as broadswords. This was done at Christopher Lee's request, as he is a trained fencer.

Even famed control freak George Lucas knows that you listen to Christopher Lee aand do what he says.

I thought that Vader's double in ESB also used legit sabre moves as well. I guess I'll have to go back and watch the fight scene again.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

Jedit posted:

Well, I mean, he is a Dracula...

Roblo
Dec 10, 2007

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Jedit posted:

I like to critisise SW as much as anyone, but complaining that the Lightsabers are not like Sabres is a bit daft.

"lightbroadsword" sounds a bit retarded.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Nemesis Of Moles posted:

I think its getting a little played out to mention RLM anytime anyone says anything about the prequels.

no man, of science is the one man on these forums who can take down all you sheeple who only have opinions because other people also had those opinions

ElBrak
Aug 24, 2004

"Muerte, buen compinche. Muerte."

Roblo posted:

I like to critisise SW as much as anyone, but complaining that the Lightsabers are not like Sabres is a bit daft.

Well he has it a little wrong, it has to do more with how they use them to fight. I believe all the Jedi use their lightsabers two handed in the movie, other then Dooku who uses his one handed and Anakin who duels wields them one time for 15 seconds and gets a arm chopped off.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

ElBrak posted:

Well he has it a little wrong, it has to do more with how they use them to fight. I believe all the Jedi use their lightsabers two handed in the movie, other then Dooku who uses his one handed and Anakin who duels wields them one time for 15 seconds and gets a arm chopped off.

It's not just that. Lightsabres have a straight hilt, and - unsurprisingly given the influence of The Hidden Fortress on the first movie - they are wielded similarly to the katana. Real sabres have a hilt at a 45 degree angle to the blade; so does Dooku's lightsabre, and Lee wields it properly.

And yes, Vader's double in TESB and ROTJ used some sabre moves. That's because it was the legendary sword master Bob Anderson, who prior to entering movies had been an Olympic fencer competing in sabre.

Nostradingus
Jul 13, 2009

Turn left, thread, turn left! Nooooooooooo

e: this is the subtle movie moments thread, not the irrational irritation thread. NEVERMIND

Nostradingus has a new favorite as of 19:16 on Apr 7, 2014

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

ENFORCE THE UNITED STATES DRESS CODE AT ALL COSTS!

This message paid for by the Men's Wearhouse& Jos A Bank Lobbying Group

Roblo posted:

Well it does kind of stick out when you realize the blade of the lightsaber has no mass so you really shouldn't swing it around like you need to get momentum, short stabs and the like would probably be thousands of times more effective.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Lucas was very adamant during A New Hope that lightsabers, despite being very light, were to be treated as if they were heavy. That's why when Vader and Kenobi fight they use both hands.

He loosened up as the trilogy continued, moving to single handed use and throwing them.

swamp waste
Nov 4, 2009

There is some very sensual touching going on in the cutscene there. i don't actually think it means anything sexual but it's cool how it contrasts with modern ideas of what bad ass stuff should be like. It even seems authentic to some kind of chivalric masculine touching from a tyme longe gone
A saber is a single-edged sword. Lightsabers are single-edged too, it's just that the edge covers the entire blade.

Pook Good Mook posted:

Well it does kind of stick out when you realize the blade of the lightsaber has no mass so you really shouldn't swing it around like you need to get momentum, short stabs and the like would probably be thousands of times more effective.

Kinetic energy definitely transfers when the blades hit each other though :reject:

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"
Something not related to Star Wars: I was watching End of Watch, and during the scene where Jake Gyllenhaal and Anna Kendrick take a road trip to Vegas, there's a home movie style shot of a highway sign that zooms in on this:

187, of course, being the police code for murder.

Though this might just be coincidental, I just found it interesting.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

CzarChasm posted:

Well, I mean, he is a Dracula...

PETER JACKSON: When Wormtongue rises up and comes up behind Saruman to stab him, of course it was my job as director to talk to Christopher Lee and to explain to him what I wanted, so I started to go into this long explanation about what sort of sound he should make when he got stabbed.
CHRISTOPHER LEE: I seem to recall I did say to Peter, “Have you any idea what kind of noise happens when somebody’s stabbed in the back?” And I said, “Well, because I do.” It’s [mimics being stabbed] because the breath’s driven out of your body.
PETER JACKSON: He proceeded to talk about some very clandestine part of World War II.
BARRIE OSBORNE: He used to be in the British Secret Service, whatever they were called, the OSS?
PETER JACKSON: He seemed to have expert knowledge of exactly the sort of noise that they make, and so I just sort of didn’t push the subject any further; I just said, “Well, you obviously know what to do, Christopher, so I’m sure you’ll do it great,” and he did.

Dude's pretty hardcore.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer

Jedit posted:

It's not just that. Lightsabres have a straight hilt, and - unsurprisingly given the influence of The Hidden Fortress on the first movie - they are wielded similarly to the katana. Real sabres have a hilt at a 45 degree angle to the blade; so does Dooku's lightsabre, and Lee wields it properly.

And yes, Vader's double in TESB and ROTJ used some sabre moves. That's because it was the legendary sword master Bob Anderson, who prior to entering movies had been an Olympic fencer competing in sabre.

Plus, when the character was written, he was written as using a different style of fighting. More swordsman like, and less "swing poo poo around like a lightbat".

I think the official "canon" reasoning is the style he uses is for dueling (an old style no one really practices but he's a master at) vs the style most people use which is meant for deflecting blasters, etc. I think it's style 2 vs 3. There's something like 7 diff styles?

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:

FreudianSlippers posted:

PETER JACKSON: When Wormtongue rises up and comes up behind Saruman to stab him, of course it was my job as director to talk to Christopher Lee and to explain to him what I wanted, so I started to go into this long explanation about what sort of sound he should make when he got stabbed.
CHRISTOPHER LEE: I seem to recall I did say to Peter, “Have you any idea what kind of noise happens when somebody’s stabbed in the back?” And I said, “Well, because I do.” It’s [mimics being stabbed] because the breath’s driven out of your body.
PETER JACKSON: He proceeded to talk about some very clandestine part of World War II.
BARRIE OSBORNE: He used to be in the British Secret Service, whatever they were called, the OSS?
PETER JACKSON: He seemed to have expert knowledge of exactly the sort of noise that they make, and so I just sort of didn’t push the subject any further; I just said, “Well, you obviously know what to do, Christopher, so I’m sure you’ll do it great,” and he did.

Dude's pretty hardcore.

Yeah, Christopher Lee literally spent WWII stabbing Nazis in the back in Norway.

Dude is more badass than any character he played in a movie. Very few can claim to be the same.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

bunnyofdoom posted:

Yeah, Christopher Lee literally spent WWII stabbing Nazis in the back in Norway.

Dude is more badass than any character he played in a movie. Very few can claim to be the same.

Julia Child was probably more badass than she appeared on her cooking show.

And the less said about Martha Stewart, the better.

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

swamp waste posted:

Kinetic energy definitely transfers when the blades hit each other though :reject:

Yeah, It makes sense that you'd want a loving DEATHGRIP on your lightsaber. like 50% of fencing is batting your opponent's sword in beneficial directions, and it would be pretty easy to knock a lightsaber into its wielder if he weren't holding on to it very hard.

Krypt-OOO-Nite!!
Oct 25, 2010

FreudianSlippers posted:

Dude's pretty hardcore.

The OSS was the American war time espionage agency (it became the CIA. Lee was bounced around RAF intelligence,the SOE and the forerunner of the SAS which is where he would have lerned what it was like to stab someone in the back.

I know I'm being pedantic but come 'on man the OSS??

:britain:

Krypt-OOO-Nite!! has a new favorite as of 00:07 on Apr 8, 2014

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012

Krypt-OOO-Nite!! posted:

The OSS was the American war time espionage agency (it became the CIA. Lee was bounced around RAF intelligence,the SOE and the forerunner of the SAS which is where he would have lerned what it was like to stab someone in the back.

I know I'm being pedantic but come 'on man the OSS??

:britain:

You really owned Barry Osborne man.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

Plus, when the character was written, he was written as using a different style of fighting. More swordsman like, and less "swing poo poo around like a lightbat".

Yes, but it was written at Lee's behest. Lee wanted to do his own swordplay as much as possible given he was 78 at the time; that required giving him a sword and choreography with which he was comfortable. And when God has turned down an offer to play you in a biopic because he couldn't do the role justice, people do make allowances for you.

Frostwerks
Sep 24, 2007

by Lowtax

Jedit posted:

And when God has turned down an offer to play you in a biopic because he couldn't do the role justice, people do make allowances for you.

What?

Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010

FreudianSlippers posted:

Dude's pretty hardcore.

I knew the guy was a total badass but :drat:

edit: Anyway, everyone already knows this but he actually met Tolkien.

quote:

ery little. I was up in Oxford meeting some friends, and we were in the Randolph Hotel. Someone said, "What are you doing here, this is all rather correct and proper; lets go to a pub." This was forty-five + years ago. We were sitting there talking and drinking beer, and someone said, "Oh, look who walked in." It was Professor Tolkien, and I nearly fell off my chair. I didn't even know he was alive. He was a benign looking man, smoking a pipe, walking in, an English countryman with earth under his feet. And he was a genius, a man of incredible intellectual knowledge. He knew somebody in our group. He (the man in the group) said "Oh Professor, Professor..." And he came over. And each one of us, well I knelt of course, each one of us said "how do you do?" And I just said "Ho.. How.. How..." I just couldn't believe it. But I'll never forget it.

Dude probably witnessed or stabbed Nazis to death but is still humbled by a guy that wrote books about goblins and furry footed burrowers.

Sephiroth_IRA has a new favorite as of 01:21 on Apr 8, 2014

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I'm not sure how much of this was planned out but Captain America: The Winter Soldier adds a sinister twist to the plot thread in Iron Man 2 with Garry Shandling's senator character. In Iron Man 2 he spends his part of the movie trying to commandeer the Iron Man tech for the US Government but in TWS you find out that he's actually a secret agent for the terrorist organization Hydra.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

muscles like this? posted:

I'm not sure how much of this was planned out but Captain America: The Winter Soldier adds a sinister twist to the plot thread in Iron Man 2 with Garry Shandling's senator character. In Iron Man 2 he spends his part of the movie trying to commandeer the Iron Man tech for the US Government but in TWS you find out that he's actually a secret agent for the terrorist organization Hydra.

That was absolutely on purpose. You don't put a weird looking guy like Shandling in two separate movies and pretend they aren't related.

RyuujinBlueZ
Oct 9, 2007

WHAT DID YOU DO?!

muscles like this? posted:

There is a neat little subtle bit at one point, early on in the movie that I just noticed seeing it again tonight. Specifically when Cap and Fury are talking in front of one of the Project Insight helicarriers, Fury is telling Cap to get with the program, and Cap tells him off. As the scene zooms out you can see that they're standing directly in front of the room holding the system Cap will reprogram at the end of the movie to stop Project Insight. Instead of getting with the program, he changes it.

Lanky Coconut Tree
Apr 7, 2011

An angry tree.

The angriest tree

RyuujinBlueZ posted:

There is a neat little subtle bit at one point, early on in the movie that I just noticed seeing it again tonight. Specifically when Cap and Fury are talking in front of one of the Project Insight helicarriers, Fury is telling Cap to get with the program, and Cap tells him off. As the scene zooms out you can see that they're standing directly in front of the room holding the system Cap will reprogram at the end of the movie to stop Project Insight. Instead of getting with the program, he changes it.

I liked the little Pulp Fiction reference they threw in at the end on Nick's grave

Krypt-OOO-Nite!!
Oct 25, 2010
It's maybe not that subtle but while we'r talking about Captain America I rewatched Avengers the other week and noticed that the Hydra agent with glasses (sorry forget his name) that Captain America drops off the roof at one pointwas hanging around the helicarrier.
Quite liked that they bother to show continuity even for minor characters like that.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Krypt-OOO-Nite!! posted:

It's maybe not that subtle but while we'r talking about Captain America I rewatched Avengers the other week and noticed that the Hydra agent with glasses (sorry forget his name) that Captain America drops off the roof at one pointwas hanging around the helicarrier.
Quite liked that they bother to show continuity even for minor characters like that.

Agent Sitwell has been hanging around a long time: he was in three of the MCU movies, two of the "one shot" shorts and four episodes of the AoS TV show. I'm going to have to go back and rewatch all those in the light of the revelations in TWS.

Krypt-OOO-Nite!!
Oct 25, 2010
^ Ha, figured he'd probably be in another movie and I hadn't noticed.
Haven't seen any agents of shield and I'm interested in how major he is in that since he just seems to be an extra in the Avengers.

Stavrogin
Feb 6, 2010

Automatic Slim posted:

My gut is that it is, and is likelier due to advances in special effects tech than any planned thing. In the old days before the DVD and Lucas covered his tracks, lightsabers in RoTJ were much clearer and brighter than in ANH, just because they learned how to film it better-- you could even see the metal rod Obi-Wan uses in certain angles. Why wouldn't it be the same with ghost Ben?

Promoted Pawn
Jun 8, 2005

oops

Stavrogin posted:

My gut is that it is, and is likelier due to advances in special effects tech than any planned thing. In the old days before the DVD and Lucas covered his tracks, lightsabers in RoTJ were much clearer and brighter than in ANH, just because they learned how to film it better-- you could even see the metal rod Obi-Wan uses in certain angles. Why wouldn't it be the same with ghost Ben?

You also have to factor in the budget for each movie. A New Hope started with a budget of ~$11M and each movie in the trilogy had a budget about $10-11M larger than the last. It's much cheaper and easier to just do a voiceover for Ghost Ben when you're strapped for cash and behind schedule.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trump
Jul 16, 2003

Cute

Stavrogin posted:

The rod showing was clearly an error.