Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DO YALL WANT A BOXC
Jul 20, 2010

HAHA! WOOOOOOO WOOO!
Fun Shoe
if i were the UFC, i would put brown if he wins in an eliminator with diaz. it's probably the easiest/least wrestly fight at the top of the division. put it on fox and that's like instant hype for the ppv

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord Waffle Beard
Dec 7, 2013

DO YALL WANT A BOXC posted:

if i were the UFC, i would put brown if he wins in an eliminator with diaz. it's probably the easiest/least wrestly fight at the top of the division. put it on fox and that's like instant hype for the ppv

Matt Brown would probably take him down, but that would still be a good fight, imo.

Bundt Cake
Aug 17, 2003
;(
i dont like how guys who grind at the top of the division, put on the best fights, and are the best fighters get overlooked in the short term for fighters who have slightly prettier records because they haven't been grinding for years

like right now woodley and lombard are considered title contenders over rick story, pierce, ellenberger, brown, etc

Id like to see them beat alves, kampmann, or paulo thiago even

TheRationalRedditor
Jul 17, 2000

WHO ABUSED HIM. WHO ABUSED THE BOY.
They're not even more fun to watch fight than literally any of those welterweights. Don't believe the hype. Because it doesn't exist. It isn't real

-Atom-
Sep 13, 2003

Contrarian Dick

Bad At Everything

DO YALL WANT A BOXC posted:

I really thought that the Lawler rematch with Diaz was the best possible outcome to get him back into the title talks without just giving him a title shot outright.

Matt Brown has fought a ton of unranked dudes but with Johny out, it's really coming down to one badass performance mattering more than where you happen to stand in the rankings.

-Atom- fucked around with this message at 18:48 on Apr 6, 2014

Ty1990
Apr 22, 2011

Brown/Diaz would own.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Brown vs Diaz for a shot at the belt (for Brown) would own. gently caress Diaz.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Aurain posted:

Brown vs Diaz for a shot at the belt (for Brown) would own. gently caress Diaz. Go Diaz.

Fixed that for you. It would be a good fight.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Bundt Cake posted:

i dont like how guys who grind at the top of the division, put on the best fights, and are the best fighters get overlooked in the short term for fighters who have slightly prettier records because they haven't been grinding for years

like right now woodley and lombard are considered title contenders over rick story, pierce, ellenberger, brown, etc

Id like to see them beat alves, kampmann, or paulo thiago even

Yeah but to be fair Pierce, Ellenberger and Story are all coming off losses, all three of them were pretty clear cut losses. It's not like Woodley has beaten nobodies either with his win over Koscheck and Condit and Lombard has dominated two opponents at WW and both of those guys were former contenders and or champs in other organisations.

I'm a big fan of Pierce, Ellenberger and Story but you can't really make the case that those three deserves shots over Lombard and Woodley.

Ewar Woowar
Feb 25, 2007

Looks like Hendricks is going to be out for a while

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

BlindSite posted:

Yeah but to be fair Pierce, Ellenberger and Story are all coming off losses, all three of them were pretty clear cut losses. It's not like Woodley has beaten nobodies either with his win over Koscheck and Condit and Lombard has dominated two opponents at WW and both of those guys were former contenders and or champs in other organisations.

I'm a big fan of Pierce, Ellenberger and Story but you can't really make the case that those three deserves shots over Lombard and Woodley.

Story's loss was pretty close.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

MassRafTer posted:

Story's loss was pretty close.

Yeah it was close but Story hasn't won two fights in a row for three years.

ChampRamp
Mar 29, 2010

:siren: SAVE_US.CHR :siren:
Jake Shields was released

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Hardly shocking.

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

ChampRamp posted:

They're now cutting people in the top 5, this is getting a little silly. Doesn't matter if you like his style, he's beaten a good percentage of the top 10, so deserves to be in there. I guess we now know who Askren is going to fight later in the year though.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.
Jake Shields makes 75/75, of course he's getting cut.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"
He could have asked to be released too.

I saw Capt America over the weekend. Afraid there is not much to Batroc although they def portray him pretty sympathetically and I could see him joining the international super hero team thing that captain america puts together when he's not avenging. I can confirm George is movie star handsome and fits right in visually. My only disappointment with their fight was that it ends with GSP getting double legged, I kind of wished they'd given a nod to who he is in reality and have him do the Hendo vs Bisping effortless sprawl followed by some other way for the good guy to win.

Also Captain America does the Bj Penn RNC arm trap later in the movie, which fits really well thematically given the guy that he is choking and I wonder if GSP mentioned it at some point or the writers just knew whats up. Capt also hits a quick suplex during a fight scene and Black Widow is all over the loving place with that sorta Funk Wrestle extreme guard pull/triangle stuff she does.

Xguard86 fucked around with this message at 16:04 on Apr 7, 2014

raingwc
Feb 28, 2008

1st AD posted:

Yeah this is basically it. If you have a high payment contract and dont draw a crowd, you're getting the boot.

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

Three games, thousands of playthroughs. 90% of the players don't know I exist. Still a redhead saving the galaxy with a [Right Hook].

:edi:

1st AD posted:

How do fighter contracts work when it comes to cuts? Is there some type of pay out for early termination or is it pay as you fight? Also couldn't they just resign Shields at a lower contract if they wanted to?

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Hector Lombard is basically going to be in the same position in a few fights, if he ever goes 1-2 he's getting cut or taking a huge paycut.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Trast posted:

How do fighter contracts work when it comes to cuts? Is there some type of pay out for early termination or is it pay as you fight? Also couldn't they just resign Shields at a lower contract if they wanted to?

In Shields' case I think he initially signed a 7 fight deal.

And yeah he could take a pay cut and stay in the UFC, but he's a guy nearing the end of his career and can probably make more money elsewhere.

Bundt Cake
Aug 17, 2003
;(
So, now that Jake Shields has been put out to pasture, LOOK AT ME, MA, I DID IT , I DID IT, I DID IT! HORSE

Triticum Guzzler
Jun 16, 2002
came to post here because i read the news, i wonder who will nervously and reluctantly sign him for 20/20 while loving praying he doesn't win their belt

-Atom-
Sep 13, 2003

Contrarian Dick

Bad At Everything
Kinda funny that Shields was cut and Maia is still hanging around after his two fight skid, one of which is a loss to Jake Shields.

I guess we can chalk up "being Brazilian" as another way to keep your job.

Triticum Guzzler
Jun 16, 2002
another is "not being Literally Jake Shields"

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.

-Atom- posted:

Kinda funny that Shields was cut and Maia is still hanging around after his two fight skid, one of which is a loss to Jake Shields.

Jake Shields was in the octagon for one hour, 55 minutes, and 53 seconds. Name a single highlight.

Fat Twitter Man
Jan 24, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Lid posted:

Jake Shields was in the octagon for one hour, 55 minutes, and 53 seconds. Name a single highlight.

Being tossed around repeatedly by Akiyama. Single-legging the ref after Ellenberger knocked him stupid.

freud mayweather
Jan 29, 2009

Lid posted:

akiyama and lombard tossing him around.

him beating up GSP.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.

Fat Twitter Man posted:

Being tossed around repeatedly by Akiyama. Single-legging the ref after Ellenberger knocked him stupid.

I'll accept it but I was asking for a Shields performed highlight.

Brasseye
Feb 13, 2009

ChampRamp posted:

Brightened up my monday

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

1st AD posted:

Hector Lombard is basically going to be in the same position in a few fights, if he ever goes 1-2 he's getting cut or taking a huge paycut.

Didn't he already go 1-2 to start his UFC run?

outy
Aug 27, 2004

GSP retires, Jake Shields cut. I may never sleep again.

Gregor Samsa
Sep 5, 2007
Nietzsche's Mustache
angry canadian incoming

david carmichael
Oct 28, 2011
Horseshit

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

-Atom- posted:

Maia is also actually entertaining to watch, and tries and succeeds at finishing fights.

Gregor Samsa
Sep 5, 2007
Nietzsche's Mustache

:golfclap:

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!
Jake Shields stalled long enough that even the horse jokes aren't welcome anymore. What more does he really have to accomplish?

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
Jake Shields will soon hold a Bellator belt.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

That's an interesting decision. He's not worth 75/75, but having a fighter like him on the roster is enough to make or break upcoming stars and his like are better off on the roster than not. Even when they're sorta boring.

All in all, R.I.P Yushin Okami (and Yushin Okami related stories).

Also, Erik Perez is fighting Bryan Caraway on June 7. I don't remember who Perez is, but I firmly hope he will win in devastating fashion.
Unless he's a wifebeater or something.

e: division and decision are not the same word.

Josuke Higashikata fucked around with this message at 20:00 on Apr 7, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Novum
May 26, 2012

That's how we roll
I always wish those guys could stick around forever. rip you boring hype crushing prick.

• Locked thread