Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

I love cats
Feb 8, 2012
The hydroid name is dumb. Sounds like something the design council voted on.

I think Squid worked better. I would have preferred if they called him Triton (the messenger of the sea, Greek mythology), Proteus, Corsair, Marauder, Buccaneer something inspired from Greek mythology or pirate-y, that sort of thing.

I like the idea of his ultimate, but the way it works seems no different than Zephyr's tornadoes. Some ragdoll, some stun and some dots. It is like they are running out of ideas. There's so many damage based ultimate, adding more with each no frame feels uninspired.

The puddle looks fun, but it is largely pointless nonetheless. Unless it works on the G3 and Stalker (and does not mess up drops), I cannot think of a single reason to ever use it unless I somehow decide to grieve pubbies, whom I avoid like the plague, anyway.

I love cats fucked around with this message at 13:24 on Apr 7, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sandweed
Sep 7, 2006

All your friends are me.

Why they didn't call him Dagon is beyond me.

I wonder what will happen with all the charge centric mods, I hope some of them turn into stance mods since it will alleviate some grinding for us old timers.

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007
He does seem pretty boring/uninspired considering what DE could have done.

Nyx's projectiles.
Rhino/Excalibur's charge.
Smoke Screen/Invisibility with some fancy effect.
And then tentacles. Which I hope are more interesting than Zephyr's tornadoes.

I love cats
Feb 8, 2012
I am disappointed that charged attacks will be removed. I think it dumbs down an already dumbed down game.

Charged attacks are, in my opinion, an useful method to keep melee-based mobs at bay when your primary is lacking in that department (i.e. penta, ogris, bows, etc), without having to smash your keyboard. I will miss the Jat Kittag charge attacks.

I am not at all sold to the melee hype. From what I have seen, I do not think melee is a solid alternative to gunplay. I find that having to "switch" to use, as opposed to the current quick use (quick attacks and charged attacks), leaves you open to attacks, and takes away from the nimbleness, fast paced approach of the game.

Instead of shooting and using melee as needed, without breaking your tempo, you will have to voluntarily commit to attrition close combat because gimmick combos? Why would I want to do that?

Also, how come you can't use fast secondary weapon fire while using a melee weapon? That would have been a neat feature to have, a la Equilibruim movie. Slash, slash, bang bang, slash some more, ra-ta-ta-ta.

gently caress that noise. Who needs flexibility and creative improvisation in a dumbed down third person shooter, anyway?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UoDKXozA0M4

I love cats fucked around with this message at 13:28 on Apr 7, 2014

Wales Grey
Jun 20, 2012

I love cats posted:

I am not sold to the melee hype. From what I have seen, I do not think they are a solid alternative to fire weapons. I find that having to "switch" to use, as opposed to the current quick use (quick attacks and charged attacks), leaves you open to attacks, and takes from the nimble, fast paced approach of the game.

What game is this? It sounds pretty good.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

I love cats posted:

I am disappointed that charged attacks will be removed. I think it dumbs down an already dumbed down game.

Charged attacks are, in my opinion, an useful method to keep melee-based mobs at bay when your primary is lacking in that department (i.e. penta, ogris, bows, etc), without having to smash your keyboard. I will miss the Jat Kittag charge attacks.

I am not at all sold to the melee hype. From what I have seen, I do not think melee is a solid alternative to gunplay. I find that having to "switch" to use, as opposed to the current quick use (quick attacks and charged attacks), leaves you open to attacks, and takes away from the nimbleness, fast paced approach of the game.

Instead of shooting and using melee as needed, without breaking your tempo, you will have to voluntarily commit to attrition close combat because gimmick combos? Why would I want to do that?

Also, how come you can't use fast secondary weapon fire while using a melee weapon? That would have been a neat feature to have, a la Equilibruim movie. Slash, slash, bang bang, slash some more, ra-ta-ta-ta.

gently caress that noise. Who needs flexibility and creative improvisation in a dumbed down third person shooter, anyway?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UoDKXozA0M4

I'm not positive, but I recall reading that you will still have your quick melee to use without changing to full-on melee style.

Sandweed
Sep 7, 2006

All your friends are me.

You can still quick melee when you have your gun equipped, and charge attacks are still inn in a way, you just need to combo your way to them now, some of them even have cool custom finishing moves.

I love cats
Feb 8, 2012

Wales Grey posted:

What game is this? It sounds pretty good.

I got ahead of myself for a second there and forgot that under its faced paced guise, Warframe is gradually getting bogged down by artificial attempts at depth.

Coldbird
Jul 17, 2001

be spiritless

I love cats posted:

I'm fine with charge attacks going away, they made for a clunky modding system and it didn't feel like it made sense anyway. I'm a space ninja, why am I actively waiting for things to get close? While I'm doing that, my whole team just killed four times as many things each.

That being said, I don't want to blame DE entirely. They're not quite recognizing something fundamental here - the FPS model doesn't work well when you try to shoehorn in melee gameplay. I can't think of a single example of it ever working.

Every time they cite another melee game, notice they don't pick another FPS, they're comparing it to stuff like DMC, Darksiders, more recent Castlevania games, or even straight up fighting games like SF, etc. FPS games with melee weapons usually just use them as a) gimmicks or b) sneak attack instant death weapons.

Melee ARPGs and the like have a different player perspective that's designed to let you see both your own entire body for positioning and combos, plus as many targets as possible - not the full time over the shoulder view that Warframe uses, which is more conducive to precision aim instead of lining up multi-target melee combos. There's also things like mob targeting that focuses your camera on a specific thing, and (kind of huge) more than one melee button so they're not forced to kludge in way too many functions on one key.

The combos they're showing certainly look nice, but they have yet to show a convincing reason to use them. I don't think they can really make full time melee viable (any more than full time dual Vipers are "viable") without an unrealistic and enormous overhaul of the game that they'd screw up anyway - but they can make it sort of work by putting in a decent mix of enemies which are hard to kill with guns and can't just be bypassed with things like Shred. They still run into the problem, though, of people just running up to point blank range but still using their guns instead.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
So I just discovered that arc traps are immune to explosion damage, at least from the Ogris. I had to directly hit the drat things with rockets or they wouldn't die. :wtf:

I love cats
Feb 8, 2012

hooah posted:

I'm not positive, but I recall reading that you will still have your quick melee to use without changing to full-on melee style.

You will keep that, but standard fast melee scaled very poorly at mid to high levels, anyway. This means it only retains its utility (breaking cache bins, air travel) with some weapons. Charged attacks was what made "one button mash" melee effective in combat, and made heavy melee a viable alternative to Zorens, and every other dual wielding fast melee.

Since it is being removed, it essentially removes its viability as a defensive/offensive option during gunplay, forcing you to "switch", and therefore slow yourself down for no reason. I think it will also unintentionally nerf heavy melee weapons.

Also, since there are secondary guns in the game, and since Warframe tries so hard to copy Devil May Cry, I am really surprised the developers did not think of implementing quick secondary fire while armed with a melee weapon (just like you can use fast melee while having a gun equipped).

Instead they merely fixed the previously broken parry. This, in turn, may further slow you down, since you cannot use it while sprinting, and it burns the very stamina you need for sprinting. As, the devstream was showing, the guy was getting his rear end kicked while parrying (he wasn't dying because budha mode on).

It is not that melee as a feature is bad, its execution/implementation is.

I love cats fucked around with this message at 14:08 on Apr 7, 2014

Washin Tong
Feb 16, 2011

Coldbird posted:

That being said, I don't want to blame DE entirely. They're not quite recognizing something fundamental here - the FPS model doesn't work well when you try to shoehorn in melee gameplay. I can't think of a single example of it ever working.

Space Marine pulled off the melee/shooter combination pretty well (at least in the Ork sections).

doomfunk
Feb 29, 2008

oh come on was that really necessary
all over my fine carpet!!

hooah posted:

So I just discovered that arc traps are immune to explosion damage, at least from the Ogris. I had to directly hit the drat things with rockets or they wouldn't die. :wtf:

This is also true of the Penta and kind of pissed me off when I discovered it because I was in bleedout shortly after.

Shot the fucker with my pistol though.

I love cats
Feb 8, 2012

doomfunk posted:

This is also true of the Penta and kind of pissed me off when I discovered it because I was in bleedout shortly after.

Shot the fucker with my pistol though.

Also, unlike security cameras and turrets, Sentinels ignore ark traps. Ark traps clipping through walls, you can't do jackshit about.

Lazy implementation.

I love cats
Feb 8, 2012

Eloquently put.

Doji Sekushi
Dec 26, 2006

HI
If by extremely tiny chance, PS4 gets u13 anytime soon, the main mighty PS4 clan LLJK would like in on the alliance action. We're a Storm clan and I don't foresee growing much past that (we're at 71 and I boot people who've been inactive for 40 days or so).

Hopefully alliances can cross the PC-PS4 gulf.

Also, Tethra's Doom ends extremely soon. Considering we've had it for like 20 days, most of us should have done it. If you haven't done it and need help, ask in chat or jump in to my PS4 party later this evening.

Re: PS4 clan recruiting. Could we edit the OP to say that if someone wants to join PS4 clan, they can post in this thread and someone will invite them, or they can message me directly in-game or via PSN. My PSN ID is Dojisekushi and I am the current ninja space king.

Sandweed
Sep 7, 2006

All your friends are me.

Im 100% certain that cross platform alliances will not be a thing.

Coldbird
Jul 17, 2001

be spiritless

Washin Tong posted:

Space Marine pulled off the melee/shooter combination pretty well (at least in the Ork sections).
I liked Space Marine, but its "melee" was very heavy on scripted kill animations. Not quite as bad as, say, the Greaterrible Wonder-Horror that was Bayonetta, but they seem to want something more active, along the lines of DMC.

Actually, if they put in a Bayonetta Warframe complete with that breakdance quad-pistol spin on rear end thing she did, and made it Prime Access only for $100+, they would make a hilarious amount of money.

Wales Grey
Jun 20, 2012
Vanquish is the game Warframe wants to be, with its the power-sliding and genuinely frentic pace of combat.

void_serfer
Jan 13, 2012

Coldbird posted:

I liked Space Marine, but its "melee" was very heavy on scripted kill animations. Not quite as bad as, say, the Greaterrible Wonder-Horror that was Bayonetta, but they seem to want something more active, along the lines of DMC.

Actually, if they put in a Bayonetta Warframe complete with that breakdance quad-pistol spin on rear end thing she did, and made it Prime Access only for $100+, they would make a hilarious amount of money.

Are you saying that Bayonetta relies heavily on scripted kill animations? You couldn't be any more wrong.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bKtePkxZe70

Bayonetta is the closest thing to DMC without actually being called it.

Cathair
Jan 7, 2008

Coldbird posted:

I'm fine with charge attacks going away, they made for a clunky modding system and it didn't feel like it made sense anyway. I'm a space ninja, why am I actively waiting for things to get close? While I'm doing that, my whole team just killed four times as many things each.

Woah woah, what? No, that is some backwards logic right there. In what way does the idea of charge attacks necessitate the clunky modding system? They could just as easily have made all melee damage based off the same damage mod, and it would've made perfect sense, just like every other game where you have access to a light melee attack and a heavy melee attack at the same time. Use either and mix 'em up according to the situation, it's a good system. It's DE who chose to gently caress it up by segregating the two types, not a problem with the idea itself.

Fish Noise
Jul 25, 2012

IT'S ME, BURROWS!

IT WAS ME ALL ALONG, BURROWS!

Coldbird posted:

I liked Space Marine, but its "melee" was very heavy on scripted kill animations.
Yeah, Space Marine melee was a lot of single button mashing and QTEs , which they attempted to hide under the spectacle. Literally hidden, when you had that rage or whatever mode going that made everything glow the same color as the button prompt.

For all the things DE has done :de:, they've somehow managed to avoid QTEs. Let's keep it that way.

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007
Vauban Systems alert is on.

Took me two weeks without trying to get the whole set, I feel kind of bad for people who specifically wanted it for months :shobon:

necrobobsledder
Mar 21, 2005
Lay down your soul to the gods rock 'n roll
Nap Ghost

Coldbird posted:

The combos they're showing certainly look nice, but they have yet to show a convincing reason to use them. I don't think they can really make full time melee viable (any more than full time dual Vipers are "viable") without an unrealistic and enormous overhaul of the game that they'd screw up anyway - but they can make it sort of work by putting in a decent mix of enemies which are hard to kill with guns and can't just be bypassed with things like Shred. They still run into the problem, though, of people just running up to point blank range but still using their guns instead.
The primary thing I saw as compelling would be that the damage multiplier can go up with more combo hits, and they're totally cool with n-billion hit combos getting really high damage. Problem to me is that on something like a defense mission, you'll run out of something to hit for 4 seconds between waves. Allowing blocking mechanics to be effective during melee that is awkward to use with ranged weapons may be another route for making melee attractive over ranged options.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

One thing that I hope comes from melee 2.0 is for them to add shields, particularly dual wielded shields. Also if they made a melee weapon type that turns you into Zangief.

chumbler fucked around with this message at 18:07 on Apr 7, 2014

zgrowler2
Oct 29, 2011

HOW DOES THE IPHONE APP WORK?? I WILL SPAM ENDLESSLY EVERYWHERE AND DISREGARD ANY REPLIES

chumbler posted:

One thing that I hope comes from melee 2.0 is for them to add shields, particularly dual wielded shields. Also if they made a melee weapon type that turns you into Zangief.

A shield you can fire your secondary through/over would be great. If they're sticking to the line that coptering is now a feature and not a bug, then it makes sense to have other melee weapons that provide useful non-attacking features (maybe a smaller-scale grappling hook as well?).

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

I'm tired of having to equip melee weapons even just to do punches and kicks. I want to be able to leave my weapon and just headbutt everything to death (but only if your character has one of the pointy helmets).

Buried alive
Jun 8, 2009

zgrowler2 posted:

A shield you can fire your secondary through/over would be great. If they're sticking to the line that coptering is now a feature and not a bug, then it makes sense to have other melee weapons that provide useful non-attacking features (maybe a smaller-scale grappling hook as well?).

That would likely either invalidate Valkyr's first power if you can climb it/reel it in, or be of dubious usefulness if you can't. Not that swinging around like Tarzan wouldn't be awesome, but there aren't a whole lot of areas where that would come in handy.

Wales Grey
Jun 20, 2012

Cathair posted:

Woah woah, what? No, that is some backwards logic right there. In what way does the idea of charge attacks necessitate the clunky modding system? They could just as easily have made all melee damage based off the same damage mod, and it would've made perfect sense, just like every other game where you have access to a light melee attack and a heavy melee attack at the same time. Use either and mix 'em up according to the situation, it's a good system. It's DE who chose to gently caress it up by segregating the two types, not a problem with the idea itself.

Honestly, DE should just kill all damage+ mods. They're just a wall to new players and serve no purpose other than scaling the otherwise insurmountable wall that is "endgame" enemy EHP.

zgrowler2
Oct 29, 2011

HOW DOES THE IPHONE APP WORK?? I WILL SPAM ENDLESSLY EVERYWHERE AND DISREGARD ANY REPLIES

Wales Grey posted:

Honestly, DE should just kill all damage+ mods. They're just a wall to new players and serve no purpose other than scaling the otherwise insurmountable wall that is "endgame" enemy EHP.

I'm all for folding Serration, Hornet Strike, and Pressure Point into their respective weapons' base damage per level. DE should have done that ages ago. It probably won't spike prices for maxed Heavy Caliber since DE would hand out Legendary Cores for the two gun mods which minmaxers would promptly dump into any other 10-rank dmg+ variant mods.

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
The Cronus is a 100% drop the first time you fight Vor and it's clearly meant to be a 'hey you cleared your first planet here's a cooler new weapoon'-type thing, even though it being a longsword means it doesn't work at all. Make 'necessary' mods like Serration etc drop the same way as well as normally, so players feel there's an actual reward to clearing a planet as well as getting an immediate bump in power.

Or make the basic +damage mods un-fusable and have the Lotus upgrade them a rank whenever you kill a new boss. That way you know roughly how powerful a player will be on any one planet and can tailor enemies around it, and the player feels good because they can do something significant (kill a boss) and get an immediate boost in power.

Ssthalar
Sep 16, 2007

Pierson posted:

The Cronus is a 100% drop the first time you fight Vor

I know I got it first time I killed Vor, but none of my friends have recieved it despite murdering him God knows how many times for his gun.

Aenslaed
Mar 29, 2004
Nonfactor

Fish Noise posted:

Yeah, Space Marine melee was a lot of single button mashing and QTEs , which they attempted to hide under the spectacle. Literally hidden, when you had that rage or whatever mode going that made everything glow the same color as the button prompt.

For all the things DE has done :de:, they've somehow managed to avoid QTEs. Let's keep it that way.

I liked it for the combination of melee and ranged combat in death match. Assault Thunderhammer and Plasma Pistol combos were fantastic. If they rolled away, then you'd light them up with plasma pistol, but if they stayed close, then you OHKO them with a swing. It would be great if when you had a melee weapon equipped the quick attack was replaced by your secondary, that way equipping melee as a primary doesn't remove your gunplay options as you try to close the gap.

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

^^ Please send feedback to beefstache911@hotmail.com, this is not a joke that 'stache is the real deal. Serious assessments only. ^^

Pierson posted:

The Cronus is a 100% drop the first time you fight Vor and it's clearly meant to be a 'hey you cleared your first planet here's a cooler new weapoon'-type thing, even though it being a longsword means it doesn't work at all.

Possibly the greatest thing about melee 2.0 is (potentially) the 'longswords are loving awful' label they have, albeit deserved so, will go away. I mean, there will absolutely be a 'this hanzo steel is better than that hanzo steel' upgrade path I'd expect, but the general idea of using a longsword won't be so repulsive.

I hope :ohdear:

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Orokin Catalyst Blueprint Alert.

[edit] Actually the alert gives a Reactor AND a Catalyst! 24 hour alert.

Galaga Galaxian fucked around with this message at 22:07 on Apr 7, 2014

doomfunk
Feb 29, 2008

oh come on was that really necessary
all over my fine carpet!!

Ssthalar posted:

I know I got it first time I killed Vor, but none of my friends have recieved it despite murdering him God knows how many times for his gun.

I have never received the Cronus blueprint and I have killed Vor many, many times. Evidently the first time I fought Vor wasn't the first time I fought Vor, or some bullshit of that nature.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

My guess is it gets screwed up if you play with other people who have already killed him, marking you as having killed him before but not actually dropping it because someone's in the game who already did it (it probably uses the host as the arbiter of that).

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.
:ohdear:
I think he still drops it in a little orb old-school style so it's possible to not get the BP if you miss picking it up. At least, he dropped it in an orb the last time I was farming him so maybe it's different if it's just a random drop?

AndroidHub
Feb 28, 2007

I've seen some stuff that would really make you say "like what?"
It's really dumb that the purple orbs still exist in any form, since it's of course possible to miss all kinds of flavors of blueprints and parts from the invader mobs. Though it does bring back memories of that one weekend where they hosed up the mob drop tables and Grineer Commanders got Hek's drop table for a weekend (back when they did big updates on friday and left bugs all weekend long) and it was really easy to farm for rare mats that way (and piles of trinity parts to sell).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Pierson posted:

The Cronus is a 100% drop the first time you fight Vor and it's clearly meant to be a 'hey you cleared your first planet here's a cooler new weapoon'-type thing, even though it being a longsword means it doesn't work at all. Make 'necessary' mods like Serration etc drop the same way as well as normally, so players feel there's an actual reward to clearing a planet as well as getting an immediate bump in power.

Or make the basic +damage mods un-fusable and have the Lotus upgrade them a rank whenever you kill a new boss. That way you know roughly how powerful a player will be on any one planet and can tailor enemies around it, and the player feels good because they can do something significant (kill a boss) and get an immediate boost in power.

They'd have to at the very least put in a big flashing neon sign that says "THIS IS LITERALLY THE MOST IMPORTANT MOD YOU CAN PUT IN YOUR WEAPON" if they put serration as a guaranteed reward for completing Vor or whatever else. Nowhere in the game does it explain why serration/hornet strike/point blank matter so much. They really, really just need to toss them and fold them into weapon level, and now that they have legendary cores to placate people who would whine, there's very little excuse not to.

Mods are dumb as they are currently set up, and that is probably very unlikely to ever change.