Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004
Pretty much everywhere I stay they have the carafes that have the push top or lever that pumps out the coffee, same goes for hot water, so there's nothing keeping it warm aside from insulation. For what it's worth, I'm brand loyal to Marriott properties. What really sucks is that I'm a platinum member and when I stay at the properties where they have a nice concierge lounge, they almost always have starbucks cofffee. Just two days ago I stayed at one with a lounge and had to pour out my coffee. I just couldn't drink it, it tasted way more burnt than what I normally expect from them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

rockcity posted:

or what it's worth, I'm brand loyal to Marriott properties. What really sucks is that I'm a platinum member and when I stay at the properties where they have a nice concierge lounge, they almost always have starbucks cofffee. Just two days ago I stayed at one with a lounge and had to pour out my coffee. I just couldn't drink it, it tasted way more burnt than what I normally expect from them.

More burnt than Starbucks usually is? I don't think that is possible.

Comic
Feb 24, 2008

Mad Comic Stylings

rockcity posted:

I stay in hotels roughly 100 nights a year and I have never seen a kettle or boiler in the breakfast area. I do see a lot of hot water carafes, but just the same style ones that hold coffee, which I'm sure is well below brew temp.

The hotel I work at has one, and it's only a 96 room hotel. Though ever since it broke a month or two ago and had to get repaired, it hasn't reached the same temperatures since. (I think it might've been set to go too hot which is why it ended up breaking...) Still hotter than the carafe we had to use while it was getting repaired though. It's good enough for tea at least, and more than hot enough for hot chocolate.

rockcity posted:

I just couldn't drink it, it tasted way more burnt than what I normally expect from them.

They may have mixed up packets or had a french roast or something. Alternately they screwed up filtration and got a lot of grounds in the carafe. I've seen the latter happen a few times, I have to go in and make the coffee myself. You'd think a system where they don't have to measure anything because it's pre-measured, using a drip machine that doesn't need filling, where the only thing they have to do is put in the filter and pour in the coffee would be fool proof but...

Comic fucked around with this message at 04:59 on Apr 3, 2014

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004

Comic posted:

The hotel I work at has one, and it's only a 96 room hotel. Though ever since it broke a month or two ago and had to get repaired, it hasn't reached the same temperatures since. (I think it might've been set to go too hot which is why it ended up breaking...) Still hotter than the carafe we had to use while it was getting repaired though. It's good enough for tea at least, and more than hot enough for hot chocolate.

They may have mixed up packets or had a french roast or something. Alternately they screwed up filtration and got a lot of grounds in the carafe. I've seen the latter happen a few times, I have to go in and make the coffee myself. You'd think a system where they don't have to measure anything because it's pre-measured, using a drip machine that doesn't need filling, where the only thing they have to do is put in the filter and pour in the coffee would be fool proof but...

I'm guessing it was a French roast or something. It didn't taste over extracted, just much more charcoal burnt flavor than their regular roast already is.

Comic
Feb 24, 2008

Mad Comic Stylings

rockcity posted:

I'm guessing it was a French roast or something. It didn't taste over extracted, just much more charcoal burnt flavor than their regular roast already is.

Well, I've definitely tasted 'burnt' from having grounds in the carafe, because for that to happen isn't in the paper filter but being pressed against the metal filter holder before dropping into the carafe, which gets dangerously hot and may have literally burnt the grounds- or at least enough to affect the flavor. But that might be specific to the setup they use at the hotel. Hot water straight out of the coffee maker machines is really dangerously hot, but the coffee it makes is better than most pre-ground coffee when used properly (but still not...great), so I guess it's taken into calculation.

Alfalfa
Apr 24, 2003

Superman Don't Need No Seat Belt
I'm going to be picking up a Bonavita Drip coffee maker and was wondering what the best paper filters are to be used with it.

Currently I use one of those gold metal filters but know they aren't the best so looking to swap it with paper when upgraded to this maker.

TheJeffers
Jan 31, 2007

Alfalfa posted:

I'm going to be picking up a Bonavita Drip coffee maker and was wondering what the best paper filters are to be used with it.

Currently I use one of those gold metal filters but know they aren't the best so looking to swap it with paper when upgraded to this maker.

Filtropa filters seem to be the thread favorite. A quick Google suggests that the Bonavita takes a Filtropa 04, but you'll probably want to verify that on your own.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

withak posted:

More burnt than Starbucks usually is? I don't think that is possible.

It's possible. Let me introduce you to Tully's, which is Starbucks' even shittier, less successful rival. Now with 150% more charcoal flavor.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Comic posted:

Well, I've definitely tasted 'burnt' from having grounds in the carafe, because for that to happen isn't in the paper filter but being pressed against the metal filter holder before dropping into the carafe, which gets dangerously hot and may have literally burnt the grounds- or at least enough to affect the flavor. But that might be specific to the setup they use at the hotel. Hot water straight out of the coffee maker machines is really dangerously hot, but the coffee it makes is better than most pre-ground coffee when used properly (but still not...great), so I guess it's taken into calculation.

Most likely it was one of Starbucks' darkest roasts. And yeah most places I've stayed at have had the hot water spigot available for use since setting the brewer up in the breakfast area spares people lugging full carafes around.

Also if anyone wants to taste true carbonized coffee there's the one local roaster around here, just paypal me the money and PM an address. It's like $12 a pound. I think I was nearly able to write on some paper with the oils on the outside of a bean. :barf:

Timid
Dec 13, 2012

On the topic of bad coffee, what do you guys think of McDonalds coffee?
I havent had it for a little while, but I remember it not being that bad. I think I read somewhere that they grind their beans in store? I might be thinking of something else though.

dik-dik
Feb 21, 2009

Timid posted:

I havent had it for a little while, but I remember it not being that bad. I think I read somewhere that they grind their beans in store? I might be thinking of something else though.

Yeah, I remember it being tolerable. Then again, it was loaded with milk and sugar and I was exhausted from driving for 9 hours that day. But I think it was ok.

Archer2338
Mar 15, 2008

'Tis a screwed up world

Timid posted:

I think I remember it being pretty decent relative to all the other franchise-coffee stores, yeah. Not sure if it's the roast (lighter than starbucks-charcoal), or if it's simply the cheaper price subconsciously driving down expectations in my head.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

This conversation reminds me of when I worked for Starbucks. Complaints were rising about the in-store brewed coffee, so they changed it up. Previously, the brewed coffee came in its own sealed packet, pre-ground. The change was the introduction of "Pike Place" roast, or more popularly, "Pike's Peak" roast. It was shipped to us whole bean, but in typical Starbucks fashion, hilariously over-roasted and oily as all get-out. It came in big 5-pound bags, which we would dump into large Tupperware containers, that had to be emptied and washed every night because there was just so much drat oil all over the place.

We were to grind beans fresh and brew coffee every half hour, a lot of which went to waste at first, until we started applying local statistics to cut down on waste. Unfortunately, it still tasted like poo poo, but brewed coffee sales definitely went up.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Archer2338 posted:

I think I remember it being pretty decent relative to all the other franchise-coffee stores, yeah. Not sure if it's the roast (lighter than starbucks-charcoal), or if it's simply the cheaper price subconsciously driving down expectations in my head.

Speaking of franchise-coffee, I remember Dunkin' Donuts coffee being a gift from the gods when I was living back in the midwest, but I haven't been there in close to half a decade. Now that I've gotten so much more into coffee because of this thread, I'm actually kind of afraid that when I visit this summer I'm not going to like it anymore. :ohdear:

Cheesus
Oct 17, 2002

Let us retract the foreskin of ignorance and apply the wirebrush of enlightenment.
Yam Slacker
Dunkin's coffee isn't bad. I'd say on par with McDonalds, maybe a little better.

Alfalfa
Apr 24, 2003

Superman Don't Need No Seat Belt
Regarding the McCafe coffee from McDonalds.

I read this then asked a friend who used to work there and he agreed with it 100%

quote:

I work for Mcdonald's and make sure everyone that matters to me never orders anything that comes out of the "McCafe" machine as these are routinely neglected, in practically all the McDonalds. Not only are staff not properly trained in its cleaning and maintenance, at almost every McDonalds I've had experience with, the managers in charge of training them don't know gently caress all either.

There is a compartment that catches the coffee/espresso grounds and when you take it out there is a hole that gives you access to the inside of the machine. Very dark, can't be taken apart without someone specialized in servicing it coming it, and normally needs special brushes to be cleaned - I've been to a couple different McDonalds and have never seen anyone have the proper ones. A couple of times I stuck my hand in the machine to pull out a literal fist-full of black soot to show to the managers that it's not in proper condition, and nothing has come of it. The insides are caked with it, the lines where the product comes out as well. Also, I'm not sure about all places but the McDonalds I'm at now also has us cleaning the smoothie machine with loving glass cleaner. I work nights so unless I really hate the person coming in, I try to play it off like these machines are in their "automatic cleaning cycles" and can't be used but really I can't morally justify serving people this (dangerously) lovely stuff.

TL;DR: All McCafe beverages run through a horrifically dirty machine - we're talking 5+ inches of uncleaned, liquid bullshit making up its inside parts, and the smoothies have glass cleaner in them.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Someone earlier was talking about how they wouldn't save much money by going with real coffee over using the pods. If you look at the amount of actual coffee in the pods it's very little. Like the Nespresso ones only have 5grams in there while a good shop will give you around 18 grams for that espresso.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Mu Zeta posted:

Someone earlier was talking about how they wouldn't save much money by going with real coffee over using the pods. If you look at the amount of actual coffee in the pods it's very little. Like the Nespresso ones only have 5grams in there while a good shop will give you around 18 grams for that espresso.

Yeah but the pod itself is pointlessly expensive, costing way more than the coffee itself.

I think the main reason places like to use that sort of thing is consistency. That and not needing to train somebody to use a fancy spro machine.

mr. yolk
Aug 4, 2007

"We are a way for the cosmos to know itself."
So it's kinda funny. I got my pourover setup with the Kalita Wave and the Bonavita Variable Kettle, and intended on using this instead of my Aeropress. When I got it I was thinking, awesome, less cleanup! I was stoked about having to put even less effort into brewing my coffee. But what's funny is, the Aeropress is definitely less work, even if I rinse out all the parts. But whatever, I like the coffee the Kalita makes anyway. I really need to get myself some super fresh coffee.

dik-dik
Feb 21, 2009

So what's the deal withKalita Wave vs. Hario V60? Any tips on which one I should get as my first real pourover? (I've been using the CCD so far) I'm leaning V60 since it seems the filters are thinner and easier to find than the Wave, but I by no means have made up my mind.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

dik-dik posted:

So what's the deal withKalita Wave vs. Hario V60? Any tips on which one I should get as my first real pourover? (I've been using the CCD so far) I'm leaning V60 since it seems the filters are thinner and easier to find than the Wave, but I by no means have made up my mind.

http://www.sweetmarias.com/sweetmarias/coffee-brewers/filtercones/bonmac-2-single-hole-porcelain-filtercone.html

becoming
Aug 25, 2004

dik-dik posted:

I only just recently got my Waves (bought both the 155 and the 185), but I've been brewing with them pretty extensively in the few weeks that I've had them, so I feel I can have an opinion at this point. The Wave is probably easier to brew with. I say "probably" because I have gotten a lot better at pour-over since I bought my V60s and brewed the first hundred batches in them, so skill level increase is possibly a factor. Anyway, I certainly brewed some bad batches in my V60s, and you should expect to as well. The Wave is more forgiving for a few reasons, but probably the biggest is that it has three small holes (instead of one big one in the V60), and thus it drains a lot slower, meaning you need to grind bigger, meaning an extra fifteen seconds of extraction is unlikely to destroy your cup. It is hard to over-extract a V60 brew, but "hard" and "impossible" are two different words, and I purposely didn't use the latter. There is also a lot of coffee extraction theory going on regarding flat-bed dripper geometry versus the cone of the V60, supposedly leading to a more even extraction since not all the water goes through the grounds at the tip of your cone. Is this true? Probably. Does it matter in practice? I am not sure.

You are looking at a minimum of $30 for a Wave dripper, and filters are $10/100. A plastic V60 is about $8 on Amazon and the filters are around $7/100. V60 filters are probably slightly thinner, but the Wave filters aren't Chemex thick or anything. Wave everything is harder to come by, so one argument could be "if you can get it, get it, because you never know when you won't be able to". The other side of that coin is that sometimes the filters are sold out and hey guess you are going back to the CCD for six weeks while you wait for filters to clear customs and finally make their way to your house. Not that it took over six weeks for my Wave drippers and their filters to get to my house. (It actually did. Customs. Really.) V60 poo poo is everywhere, so that is nice.

If you get plastic, the V60 is really pretty cheap. The Wave isn't. You will probably wind up with both, because that is what we hobbyists do. If you think that those words you just read describe you, get the Wave now, because it will be easier to talk yourself into a V60 later, being that a whole setup costs less than a bag of coffee.

I'll go ahead and throw out a vote for the Bee House drippers as well. They use Melitta-style filters, so you can get a large Bee House and run the Filtropa #4s you know and love. They are porcelain and require pretty good pre-heating but I've made some pretty outstanding coffee in them. They are deceptively small capacity-wise though (as is the Wave). You can (very carefully) brew 40g grounds in the V60-01; the Wave 155 tops out at about 25g, which is about the same for the small Bee House. I do 50g batches in the Wave 185 pretty regularly with no trouble, but plan on maybe 45g in a large Bee House. I've never topped out a V60-02 because I don't have a serving carafe large enough to hold however much coffee that would be. Get the smallest dripper that will work for you, and you want the water to travel the shortest distance possible to the grounds; doing 20g batches in a V60-02, the water will have a few extra inches to travel than it would with a V60-01.

tl;dr - I am stupid and have bought basically all of the drippers, and am happy to answer any questions you have about them.

Edit - Mu Zeta speaks the truth. I have a ceramic Melitta-style single hole dripper, just like that one. It is most excellent and again, takes the Filtropa filters you know and love. Also, you may be interested in Melitta's Ready Set Joe dripper. Crappy name, great product. It's $2.99 at Wegman's and takes standard #2 filters. Don't overlook the less-flashy drippers, they still make awesome coffee.

Edit edit - Counter Culture is selling their Bonmac Pro Dripper (dual hole, sorta like the Bee House) for $15 now, down from $22. That's worth your consideration too.

becoming fucked around with this message at 19:50 on Apr 7, 2014

its curtains for Kevin
Nov 14, 2011

Fruit is proof that the gods exist and love us.

Just kidding!

Life is meaningless
Tired of feeling sleepy all the time on 7 hours of sleep, so I started drinking :coffee: This is great! Tell me about a bean grinder and what beans I should get so I can make this poo poo at my house.

becoming
Aug 25, 2004

Anyone have any experience with the Fino kettle? I've got a friend's birthday coming up, and I'd like to get him set up with a fairly inexpensive pour-over rig. He's currently doing CCD so he's got the basics: hot water source, scale, grinder. I'd like to spend less than $50 on the kettle. If need be, I'll just get him a Buono, but I'm reading some good things about the Fino too. Thoughts?

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004

NTT posted:

Tired of feeling sleepy all the time on 7 hours of sleep, so I started drinking :coffee: This is great! Tell me about a bean grinder and what beans I should get so I can make this poo poo at my house.

Read, the OP, there is a lot of good information in there. To give you a short answer, buy the best grinder you can afford as it's easily the most important part of the brewing process for any brew method. The go to "budget" grinder is the Capresso Infinity. I say "budget" because it's around $80 which surprises some people, but it's the cheapest grinder (aside from manual ones) that starts producing a consistent grind. If you don't want to buy an expensive gooseneck style kettle to do pourovers, I'd get a clever coffee dripper. They're pretty easy to use and great for starting up. As for what coffee to buy, it's less what to buy and more where to buy it. Look online for a local roaster in your area. There's no real specific coffee to recommend as everyone's palette is different. See if they do pourovers and maybe try a couple and then buy what you like.

ChiTownEddie
Mar 26, 2010

Awesome beer, no pants.
Join the Legion.
I am a newbie to making coffee well for the most part. For my birthday a friend got me a nice(ish) burr grinder and I was going to pick up a pour over and a kettle. What would you guys recommend? Should I just get some rando goose neck and a Melitta as a start?

becoming
Aug 25, 2004

ChiTownEddie posted:

I am a newbie to making coffee well for the most part. For my birthday a friend got me a nice(ish) burr grinder and I was going to pick up a pour over and a kettle. What would you guys recommend? Should I just get some rando goose neck and a Melitta as a start?

I just wrote a fairly long post about pour-over, scroll up until you see a wall of text and my user icon. The $3 Melitta cone is pretty great, but others are worth looking at too.

As far as kettles, what is your budget? Do you want an electric kettle, or stove-top? (Or do you already have a hot water source, like a Zojirushi hot water dispenser?)

ChiTownEddie
Mar 26, 2010

Awesome beer, no pants.
Join the Legion.

becoming posted:

I just wrote a fairly long post about pour-over, scroll up until you see a wall of text and my user icon. The $3 Melitta cone is pretty great, but others are worth looking at too.

As far as kettles, what is your budget? Do you want an electric kettle, or stove-top? (Or do you already have a hot water source, like a Zojirushi hot water dispenser?)

Oh nifty. I should read back a few pages :P
I was going to get a stove-top, and didn't really have a budget. I have a thermapen from homebrewing and was planning on just kind of figuring out "boil, let it sit for x time, gets down to y°" type of deal. I suppose if an electric is that much better I could be talked into it.

becoming
Aug 25, 2004

ChiTownEddie posted:

Oh nifty. I should read back a few pages :P
I was going to get a stove-top, and didn't really have a budget. I have a thermapen from homebrewing and was planning on just kind of figuring out "boil, let it sit for x time, gets down to y°" type of deal. I suppose if an electric is that much better I could be talked into it.

Electric is convenient but I actually rarely use my electric kettle any more for coffee - though I do use it frequently for tea, as I drink many types that all require different temperatures. It's a good kettle, but for less money, so long as you are willing to wait for water to boil, you can have better.

If you want stove-top, I really like the Kalita Wave kettle. I got it on Amazon for $58 delivered, though it is a bit more right now. Most specialty coffee shops sell it for about $110, it seems. Anyway, it holds a liter and has a wooden handle, so it can sit on a burner for a little while and the handle won't burn you. My Takahiro pours better, but it's much more expensive and you really need a hot water source for it - the handle is too hot if you actually heat it on a stove-top.

ChiTownEddie
Mar 26, 2010

Awesome beer, no pants.
Join the Legion.

becoming posted:

If you want stove-top, I really like the Kalita Wave kettle. I got it on Amazon for $58 delivered, though it is a bit more right now. Most specialty coffee shops sell it for about $110, it seems. Anyway, it holds a liter and has a wooden handle, so it can sit on a burner for a little while and the handle won't burn you. My Takahiro pours better, but it's much more expensive and you really need a hot water source for it - the handle is too hot if you actually heat it on a stove-top.

Great, thank you.
I'm pretty pumped to get more into coffee. I've been using an aeropress for about a year and, while I think I am making an okay cup now, the new grinder has me wanting to upgrade everything and try out some new stuff.

dik-dik
Feb 21, 2009

ChiTownEddie posted:

Great, thank you.
I'm pretty pumped to get more into coffee. I've been using an aeropress for about a year and, while I think I am making an okay cup now, the new grinder has me wanting to upgrade everything and try out some new stuff.

One of us! One of us!

Careful, it's a slippery slope you're on right now. I started innocently enough a few months ago with a clever coffee dripper, a capresso infinity, and a cheap kettle from Target, and in the past 2 days i've spent $115 on a new kettle (Bonavita Variable Temp. Gooseneck) and a new pourover set. Fun times ahead!

E: Oh, and if you don't have one, I highly recommend getting a scale so you can accurately measure your water and coffee. We pretty much all have the same $17 one from Amazon. It's been linked a few times in the past few pages.

dik-dik fucked around with this message at 21:39 on Apr 7, 2014

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

dik-dik posted:

One of us! One of us!

Careful, it's a slippery slope you're on right now. I started innocently enough a few months ago with a clever coffee dripper, a capresso infinity, and a cheap kettle from Target, and in the past 2 days i've spent $115 on a new kettle (Bonavita Variable Temp. Gooseneck) and a new pourover set. Fun times ahead!

E: Oh, and if you don't have one, I highly recommend getting a scale so you can accurately measure your water and coffee. We pretty much all have the same $17 one from Amazon. It's been linked a few times in the past few pages.

Dog bowl heat gun
Dog bowl heat gun

Dog bowl heat gun

ChiTownEddie
Mar 26, 2010

Awesome beer, no pants.
Join the Legion.
Probably my last question (at least until I have any methodology ones!)
I think I am going to get the kalita wave. Should I just get the smaller one since my gf hates coffee? No advantage to getting the larger one if I'm serving one person?

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

ChiTownEddie posted:

I think I am going to get the kalita wave. Should I just get the smaller one since my gf hates coffee? No advantage to getting the larger one if I'm serving one person?

Keep in mind that the Kalita filters can be very hard to get, that's actually the one and only reason why I opted for a V60. If you've found a place with them in stock, buy a shitload.

I'd get the big one, more options.

Google Butt fucked around with this message at 22:22 on Apr 7, 2014

becoming
Aug 25, 2004

ChiTownEddie posted:

If your standard brew size is going to be 25g of beans or less, I would get the 155 - filters are cheaper, it's cheaper, water has a shorter distance to travel to the grounds. (This matters for two reasons: the big one is that the closer your pour, the less it will disturb the grounds, meaning you will get a more even extraction. Water also cools very rapidly in the open air, but that is more brewing theory than actual issue, I suspect.)

I'd get the smallest dripper that will brew your regular batch. As I have said before, the extra distance for water to travel in my V60-02 absolutely affected the brew quality for smaller (single cup) batches; I bought the V60-01 afterward and my single-cup batches immediately improved.

Why not buy the small Wave and then later, get a big V60? (Or vice versa.) The plastic V60 is about $10 usually, and filters are around $6-7/100, so it won't break the bank to add one later.

dik-dik
Feb 21, 2009

In reading about the Kalita Wave I've heard some people talk about the "zero pour" (a silly word meaning "pouring with the spout almost touching the grounds, and seen people advocate buying the smaller one if you don't need the extra size of the bigger one. Is this BS or is there something to it?

E:FB

ChiTownEddie
Mar 26, 2010

Awesome beer, no pants.
Join the Legion.
Haha my gf is going to love me getting excited about ANOTHER HOBBY.
So much more to research, learn, love, ....and buy.

E: VV Makes sense to me :)

ChiTownEddie fucked around with this message at 00:40 on Apr 8, 2014

dik-dik
Feb 21, 2009

ChiTownEddie posted:

Haha my gf is going to love me getting excited about ANOTHER HOBBY.
So much more to research, learn, love, ....and buy.

Hey now, it's not your fault. What were you going to do, let your good friend's birthday present go to waste?

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

I see the plastic V60 being recommended often -- is there no downsides to going for the plastic model over the ceramic version? I'd absolutely like to save $10 if I could. I haven't bought a single cup pour over brewer yet, but it's comin!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

grahm
Oct 17, 2005
taxes :(

becoming posted:

Anyone have any experience with the Fino kettle? I've got a friend's birthday coming up, and I'd like to get him set up with a fairly inexpensive pour-over rig. He's currently doing CCD so he's got the basics: hot water source, scale, grinder. I'd like to spend less than $50 on the kettle. If need be, I'll just get him a Buono, but I'm reading some good things about the Fino too. Thoughts?

It's nice. Slightly slower flow rate than the Bonavita and Hario, and it looks better too.